Contact Professor Yacine Belghitar
Yacine is Professor of Corporate Finance and Head of Finance and Accounting Group. Prior to coming to Cranfield School of Management, Yacine taught and did research at Middlesex and Durham Universities. He held the positions of Research Leader for the group of accounting and finance and Director of the MSc in Finance. He has successfully supervised and externally examined several Doctoral students. He is an independent advisor on corporate financial strategy and governance.
Yacine's domain of research is at the intersection of Finance, Small Business and Corporate Strategic Management Decisions. He contributes to the understanding of the effect of managerial risk attitude on the relationship between corporate governance and managerial compensation. His recent research on managerial compensation and risk taking has been funded by ESRC, the UK's most prestigious social science funding body. Yacine is currently serving as the associate editor of Frontiers in Finance and Economics Journal which presents original peer reviewed research in Finance and Economics that is applicable to the business community at large. He serves as an ad-hoc referee in several academic journals and acts as an external examiner of two academic institutions. He is currently supervising two PhD students. He is a frequent contributor to a wide range of national and international conferences. He has published extensively and his papers have appeared in top international academic journals such as Economic Journal, Journal of Financial Research, Journal of Banking and Finance, and Small Business Economics.
Yacine is fluent in Arabic, English, French and Italian.
Articles In Journals
- Gontarek W & Belghitar Y (2020) CEO chairman controversy: evidence from the post financial crisis period, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Available online 13 July 2020.
- Saeed A, Mukarram SS & Belghitar Y. (2019) Read between the lines: Board gender diversity, family ownership, and risk‐taking in Indian high‐tech firms, International Journal of Finance and Economics, Available online 8 November 2019.
- Saeed A, Belghitar Y & Clark E (2019) Political connections and corporate performance: evidence from Pakistan, Economics of Transition and Institutional Change, 27 (4) 863-889.
- Belghitar Y, Clark E & Saeed A (2019) Political connections and corporate financial decision making, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 53 (4) 1099-1133.
- Gontarek W & Belghitar Y (2018) Risk governance: Examining its impact upon bank performance and risk-taking, Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments, 27 (5) 187-224.
- Belghitar Y, Clark E & Kassimatis K (2018) A measure of total firm performance: new insights for the corporate objective, Annals of Operations Research, 281 (1-2) 121-141.
- Belghitar Y, Clark E & Deshmukh N (2017) Importance of the fund management company in the performance of socially responsible mutual funds, Journal of Financial Research, 40 (3) 349-367.
- Saeed A, Belghitar Y & Clark E (2017) Political connections and firm operational efficiencies: evidence from a developing country, Review of Managerial Science , 11 (1) 191-224.
- Aboubakr S, Belghitar Y & Yousaf A (2016) Firm-level determinants of gender diversity in the boardrooms: Evidence from some emerging markets, International Business Review, 25 (5) 1076-1088.
- Belghitar Y & Clark E (2015) Managerial risk incentives and investment related agency costs, International Review of Financial Analysis, 38 191-197.
- Abubakr S, Belghitar Y & Clark E (2015) Do political connections affect firm performance? Evidence from a developing country, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade , 52 (8) 1876-1891.
- Belghitar Y & Clark E (2015) Firm Organizational Environment and The Effect of Options Based Compensation Incentives on Accrual Earnings Management, Frontiers in Finance and Economics, 12 (2) 1-29.
- Belghitar Y, Clark E & Deshmukh N (2014) Does it pay to be ethical? Evidence from the FTSE4Good, Journal of Banking and Finance, 47 (October) 54-62.
- Belghitar Y & Clark E (2014) Convexity, magnification, and translation: The effect of managerial option-based compensation on corporate cash holdings, Journal of Financial Research, 37 (2) 191-210.
- Abubakr S, Belghitar Y & Clark E (2014) Political Connections and Leverage: Firm-level Evidence from Pakistan, Managerial and Decision Economics, 36 (6) 364-383.
- Abubakr S, Belghitar Y & Clark E (2014) Theoretical motives of corporate cash holdings and political connections: firms level evidence from a developing economy, International Review of Applied Economics, 28 (6) 813-831.
- Al-Najjar B & Belghitar Y (2014) Do corporate governance mechanisms affect cash dividends? An empirical investigation of UK firms, International Review of Applied Economics, 28 (4) 524-538.
- Belghitar Y, Clark E & Mefteh S (2013) Foreign currency derivative use and shareholder value, International Review of Financial Analysis, 29 283-293.
- Belghitar Y & Khan J (2013) Governance mechanisms, investment opportunity set and SMEs cash holdings, Small Business Economics, 40 (1) 59-72.
- Al-Najjar B & Belghitar Y (2013) The information content of cash flows in dividend policy context, Economic Issues, 17 (2) 57-70.
- Belghitar Y & Dixon R (2012) Do venture capitalists reduce underpricing and underperformance of IPOs?, Applied Financial Economics, 22 (1) 33-44.
- Belghitar Y & Clark EC (2012) The effect of CEO risk appetite on firm volatility: An empirical analysis of financial firms, International Journal of the Economics of Business, 19 (2) 195-211.
- Belghitar Y, Clark E & Kassimatis K (2011) The prudential effect of strategic institutional ownership on stock performance, International Review of Financial Analysis, 20 (4) 191-199.
- Al-Najjar B & Belghitar Y (2011) Corporate cash holdings and dividend payments: Evidence from simultaneous analysis, Managerial and Decision Economics, 32 (4) 231-241.
- Belghitar Y & Belghitar GS (2010) The role of critical evaluation in finance education: Insights from an MSc programme, Accounting Education, 19 (6) 569-586.
- Belghitar Y, Clark EC & Judge A (2008) The value effects of foreign currency and interest rate hedging: The UK evidence, International Journal of Business, 3 (1) 44-60.
- Belghitar Y & Parker SC (2006) What happens to nascent entrepreneurs: An econometric analysis of the PSED, Small Business Economics, 27 (1) 81-101.
- Belghitar Y, Parker SC & Barmby T (2005) Wage uncertainty and self-employed labour supply, Economic Journal, 115 (502) 190-207.
- Belghitar Y & Clark E (2011) Capital Budgeting with Political/Country Risk. In: Capital Budgeting Valuation: Financial Analysis for Today’s Investment Projects, USA: Wiley, p. 241-259.