Contact Professor Richard Kwiatkowski
Richard has been developing people and organisations for over 35 years. He has been a senior organisational psychologist and manager in private and public organisations, and acts as a consultant to many limited companies, partnerships and consultancies across the world. He is a Chartered and Registered Occupational Psychologist and Counselling Psychologist, former Chair of the British Psychological Society's Division of Occupational Psychology, BPS Council, Board of Directors and former Chair of the BPS Ethics Committee. He is a chartered member of the CIPD and a Chartered Scientist. He set up and was the director of the first UK Doctorate in Organisational Psychology. He currently heads up the Organizational Behaviour and Applied Psychology Group at Cranfield (which is consistently rated in the top 10 worldwide by the FT) and Chairs the Development and Learning Community.
Richard is a Registered Practitioner Psychologist (HPC), Member of the Division of Occupational Psychology, Founder Member of the Division of Sports Psychology, Founder Member of the Division of Counselling Psychology, Founder member of Special Group in Coaching Psychology.
His research interests centre around the application of psychology to organisations and individuals; this includes work on culture change and resistance, on assessment on emotional aspects of learning and change, on applied ethics and on applying psychology to politics. He has published and presented over a hundred papers and contributed to several books. He was a specialist reviewer for the Higher Education Quality Assurance Agency and is currently a panel member and visitor for the Health and Care Professions Council. He has been quoted in the media, is a former editor and reviewer for several academic journals, a former associate editor of 'The Psychologist'. He set up and ran the Ethical Review process at Cranfield University. He is a Chartered Scientist and Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He currently Chairs the Accreditation Appeals Panel for the World Association of Business Coaches.
He enthusiastically applies psychology to the world of work through his consultancy and coaching practice; he has worked with individuals and organizations from consultants to Board members, from Psychology to Banking, Steel to Defence and Health to Alternative Technology.
In 2011 the prestigious award of Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences (now Fellowship) was conferred for significant contribution to Social Science in the UK. He is active in his community; a former school governor, and trustee of the Cranfield Trust.
Articles In Journals
- Flinders M, Weinberg A, Weinberg J, Geddes M & Kwiatkowski R. (2018) Governing under Pressure? The Mental Wellbeing of Politicians, Parliamentary Affairs, 73 (2) Article No. gsy046.
- Kwiatkowski R (2015) My House?, The House.
- Kwiatkowski R (2015) Our House, The House 36-37.
- Kwiatkowski R (2015) The Psychology of Managing Trust, Developing Leaders (18) 18-22.
- Kwiatkowski R (2015) The psychology of (re)entering the House of Commons, The House.
- Kwiatkowski R (2014) Building Trust in Business, Management Focus (Cranfield) (37) 8-9.
- Stone J, Burley C & Kwiatkowski R (2012) Ethics: 'Can you help me get to Dignitas?', Psychologist, 25 (1) 52-55.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) The Prize Fight, Springboard 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Keeping staff on track, Springboard (Winter) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Sentenced to hard emotional labour, Springboard (Summer) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) The ethical manager, Management focus (29) 22-23.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Managing emotions, Business Executive (118) 14-15.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Managing emotions and customers, Springboard (Spring) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Will you risk it?, Springboard (Autumn) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Will you bounce or shatter?, Springboard (3) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Keeping your head when all about you are losing theirs..., Springboard (2) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Nothing to fear except fear itself, Springboard (Summer) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2008) Ethics for occupational psychologists or organisations or both?, People & Organisations@Work (Spring 2008).
- Kwiatkowski R (2008) Do we love team decisions too much?, Springboard (1) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Room at the top: A change of CEO for the Labour Government, People & Organisations@Work.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Optimistic about Ethics, People & Organisations@Work.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Science and ethics underly our actions, Science and Public Affairs -London- (Mar) 10-10.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Still in love with psychology, Psychologist, 20 (5) 306-307.
- Kwiatkowski R & Duncan D (2006) UK occupational / organizational psychology, applied science and applied humanism: Some further thoughts on what we have forgotten, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79 (2) 217-224.
- Kwiatkowski R (2006) Ethics and research with children - Reply from Chair of Ethics Committee, Psychologist 467-467.
- Kwiatkowski R, Duncan D & Shimmin S (2006) What have we forgotten and why?, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79 (2) 183-201.
- Kwiatkowski R (2004) Management by lucky dip, HR Business 9-9.
- Kwiatkowski R (2003) Trends in Organisations and Selection: An Introduction, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 18 (5) 382-394.
- Kwiatkowski R (2003) We are not adjectives, we are psychologists , Psychologist, 16 (9).
- Kwiatkowski R (2002) Using Psychometrics to Predict Job Performance, Management quarterly : from the Faculty of Finance and Management of the ICAEW in association with Cranfield School of Management / The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, Cranfield University School of Management, 16 7-12.
- Kwiatkowski R, Lewis C & Sage R (2001) The beginnings of the doctorate in occupational psychology, The Occupational Psychologist 43-45.
- Kwiatkowski R (2001) Commentary on a disciplinary case, Psychologist.
- Kwiatkowski R & Hogan D (1998) Emotional Aspects of Large Group Teaching, Human Relations, 51 (11) 1403-1417.
- Kwiatkowski R (1998) Counselling and Psychotherapy: Are they Different and Should we Care?, Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 11 (1) 5-14.
- Bayne R & Kwiatkowski R (1998) Type and Time Orientation: A Partial Replication and Critique of Harrison and Lawrence, Journal of Psychological Type, 47 28-34.
- Kwiatkowski R (1998) Research assessment may be harming applied psychology, Psychologist 205-206.
- Kwiatkowski R (1994) Testing in the workplace, Psychologist, 7 (1) 10-10.
- Kwiatkowski R (1990) The certificate of competence in occupational testing, Psychologist.
- Kwiatkowski R & Dryden W (1989) What is Counselling? Some Discussion Issues, Journal of Workplace Learning, 1 (3) 4-10.
- Kwiatkowski R & Horncastle P (1989) Paradigms lost?, The Occupational Psychologist, 7 16-18.
- Kwiatkowski R & Ferguson J (1988) Commentary on Chris Argyris's Myers memorial lecture 'Organisational Defensive Routines', The Occupational Psychologist, 2.
- Kwiatkowski RM (1987) The psychotic adolescent in the group, British Journal of Psychotherapy, 4 (1) 23-29.
- Kwiatkowski R Mind games, The House 34-35.
- Kwiatkowski R. (2017) Parliament and MPs before and after Brexit. In: Psychology of Democracy, MediaCity UK, Salford, 15 May 2017.
- Bushnell I, Burke E, Kwiatkowski R & Kosinski M (2014) What's so big about Big Data?. In: British Psychology Society’s Division of Occupational Psychology Annual Conference, Brighton, 8-10 January 2014.
- Kwiatkowski R (2013) The Psychologist and the organisation; some cautionary vignettes. In: British Psychological Society Annual Conference, Harrogate, 9-11 April 2013.
- Kwiatkowski R (2013) Organizational Change and the Changing Ethical Landscape: Possible Impacts of the Health and Social Care Act 2012. In: British Psychological Society Annual Conference, Harrogate, 9-11 April 2013.
- Kwiatkowski R (2012) Ethical thinking and the brave new world. In: Educational Psychology Conference, Hampshire, 12 December 2012.
- Kwiatkowski R (2012) Ethical dilemmas in practice. In: British Psychological Society - Division of Occupational Psychology Annual Conference, Chester, 9-11 January 2012.
- Kwiatkowski R (2012) Psychological leadership and ethics. In: Division of Occupational Psychology Leadership Programme, London, 24 November 2012.
- Kwiatkowski R (2011) Politics and Change: A Longitudinal Study of Politicians in Government. In: 15th EAWOP Conference, Maastricht, Netherlands, 25-28 May 2011.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Psychology, Parliament, Organizational Politics and Change. In: 2nd Biennial Institute of Work Psychology Conference on Work, Well-being & Performance, Sheffield, 29 June - 1 July 2010.
- Kwiatkowski R, Drogin E & Williams J (2010) Preaching to the choir? Harmonising current BPS and HPC sources of professional guidance. In: BPS 2010 Annual Conference, Stratford-Upon-Avon, 14-16 April 2010.
- Kwiatkowski R (2008) Invited discusaant/panel member on open session on psychological ethics. In: BPS Occupational Psychology Conference, Stratford upon Avon, 9-11 January 2008.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Occupational/organizational psychologists and ethics: How do employers see us?. In: British Psychological Society Annual Conference, York.
- Kwiatkowski R (2005) Change in Parliament: reason or resistance?. In: British Psychological Society Quinquenial Conference, Manchester, 1 April 2005.
- Knox S, Kwiatkowski R, Jaina J, Creagh M, Hope-Hailey V, Moir L, Myddelton D & van der Hoven C (2005) The MBA paradox: Critical examination or practical relevance?. In: 4th International Critical Management Studies Conference, Cambridge.
- Kwiatkowski R (2005) Ethics: The Future?. In: British Psychological Society Quinquenial Conference.
- Cooper D, James K, Kwiatkowski R & Taffler R (2004) The shadow in the balance sheet: The spectre of Enron and how accountants use the past as a psychological defence against the future. In: International Society for Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations Annual Symposium, Coesfeld, Germany, 18-20 June 2004.
- Turnbull James K, Kwiatkowski R & Bowman C (2004) Developing Individual Strategic Capability. In: 3rd Studying Leadership Conference, Exeter, 15-16 December 2004.
- Turnbull James K, Kwiatkowski R & Bowman C (2004) Developing Strategic Capability: Managerial imaginings and psychological insights. In: BPS Annual Conference 2004, London, 15-17 April 2004.
- Bowman C, James K & Kwiatkowski R (2003) Developing individual strategic capability: rediscovering psychological capability and context. In: Strategic Management Society 23rd Annual International Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Kwiatkowski R & Scott S (1998) Are assessment centres fair to ethnic minorities?: A study of major graduate recruiters. In: 3rd Test User Conference.
- Scott S & Kwiatkowski R (1998) Foul or Fair? Assessment Centres and Ethnic minorities: a study of major UK recruiters. In: 1998 BPS Occupational Psychology Conference, Leicester.
- Kwiatkowski R (1998) Ethnic Minority Graduates and Assessment Centres. In: 1998 BPS Occupational Psychology Conference, Leicester.
- Kwiatkowski R & Gilby R (1997) Safety Culture in a Dying Factory. In: Occupational Psychology Annual Conference 1997 (The British Psychological Society), Leicester, 1 April 1997.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling Psychology in an Organisational Context: Education and Experience defeat Ignorance and Integrity. In: BPS Division of Counselling Psychology Annual Conference, 1 January 1996.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling vs Psychotherapy: some empirical thoughts on an old debate. In: BPS Division of Counselling Psychology Annual Conference, 1 January 1996.
- Kwiatkowski R & Lawrence S (1996) Orchestral Metaphors and Organisational Reality: Or 'Taylor Rides Again'?. In: Occupational Psychology Annual Conference 1996 (The British Psychological Society), Leicester, 1 April 1996.
- Kwiatkowski R (1994) Can your Grandmother suck eggs - on the difficulty of Evaluating Training. In: BPS Annual Occupational Psychology Conference.
- Kwiatkowski R, Azizollah H & Roach S (1991) Psychology without quality is like juggling without balls. In: BPS Annual Occupational Psychology Conference.
- Kwiatkowski R & Horncastle P (1990) On the consuption of the golden goose. In: British Psychological Society - Division of Occupational Psychology Annual Conference, Stratford upon Avon, 1 April 1990.
- Kwiatkowski R & Horncastle P (1989) Paradigms Lost?. In: BPS Annual Occupational Psychology Conference.
- Kwiatkowski R (2018) Questioning the Virtue of virtue; slowing the rush to virtue in research ethics. In: Virtue Ethics in the Conduct and Governance of Social Science Research (Vol. 3 Advances in Research Ethics and Integrity) Ed Nathan Emmerich, Bradford: Emerald, p. 45-64.
- Kwiatkowski R (2011) Politicians and Power: MPs in the UK Parliament. In: The Psychology of Politicians, Cambridge University Press.
- Turnbull James K, Bowman C & Kwiatkowski R (2008) Strategic Leadership. In: Leadership Perspectives: Knowledge into Action, Palgrave Macmillan, p. 72-85.
- Kwiatkowski R, Jaina J, Creagh M, Hope-Hailey V, Knox S, Moir L, Myddelton D & van der Hoven C (2008) Can the MBA Develop Leadership?: "Academic Reflection" vs "Practical Training". In: Leadership Learning: Knowledge into Action, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 131-146.
- Kwiatkowski R & Winter B (2006) Roots, relativity and realism: the occupational psychologist as scientist-practitioner. In: The Modern Scientist - Practitioner: A Guide to Practice in Psychology, London: Routledge, p. 158-172.
- Kwiatkowski R (2006) Inside-out and outside-in: the use of personality and 360 degree data in executive coaching. In: Executive Coaching - systems-psychodynamic perspective, London: Karnac Books, p. 153-181.
- Kwiatkowski R, Harris H, Kakabadse A & Mapes J (2002) Applying organisational behaviour theories and models in learning teams. In: Innovations in Teaching Business and Management, SEDA, p. 157-165.
- Kwiatkowski R (2000) Conflict in Organisations. In: Handbook of Counselling and Psychotherapy, Sage, p. 222-229.
- Kwiatkowski R & Hogan D (1998) Group membership. In: Counselling and Communication Skills for Medical and Health Practitioners, Leicester: The British Psychological Society, p. 117-128.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling psychology from an occupational perspective. In: British Psychological Society Division of Counselling Psychology, Occasional Papers (Vol. 2)., p. 18-25.