Contact Professor Michael Sweeney
- Email: email@example.com
Michael was previously the Director of the School of Defence Management at DCMT, Shrivenham from February 1995 to September 1997. He joined Cranfield in 1979 as a Senior Research Fellow to study the causes of the poor delivery performance of the UK engineering industry. Prior to joining Cranfield he worked initially as a production engineer for ten years in the British Motor Industry. Following studying for a Masters degree at Bath University he was appointed to senior management positions in research and software development organisations and held both line and project management responsibilities. During this time he was responsible for leading the development of systems for design, manufacturing and management purposes. His research interests are the strategic management of manufacturing and service operations . He is the author of a number of articles and reports on industrial management subjects, and acts as a consultant to a number of international manufacturing and service companies.
Articles In Journals
- Sweeney M & Lillis B (2012) Auditing strategic business management, Management Services -Enfield-, 56 (4) 44-47.
- Sweeney M (2010) Facility closure management: the case of Vauxhall Motors Luton, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 29 (January) 670-691.
- Cousens A, Szwejczewski M & Sweeney M (2009) A process for managing manufacturing flexibility, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 29 (4) 357-385.
- Lillis B & Sweeney M (2007) Too busy to devise an operations strategy?, Hospitality Review (October) 48-52.
- Minarro E, Baines TS & Sweeney M (2005) Key success factors when implementing strategic manufacturing initiatives, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 25 (2) 151-179.
- Goffin K, Szwejczewski M, Sweeney M & New C (2000) Product innovation in UK manufacturing companies, International Journal of Technology Management, 2 (1-7) 620-631.
- Sweeney MT & Szwejczewski MG (1996) Manufacturing Strategy and Performance: A Study of UK Engineering Industry, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 16 (5) 25-40.
- Sweeney M & Szwejczewski M (2010) Manufacturing excellence: a study of practices and results. In: 17th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Porto, 6-9 June 2010.
- Szwejczewski M, Cousens A & Sweeney M (2008) Transforming manufacturing network capabilities. In: 15th EurOMA International Conference, 2008, Groningen, 15-17 June 2008.
- Cousens A, Szwejczewski M & Sweeney M (2007) International manufacturing network design - a proposed methodology. In: EurOMA Annual Conference, Ankara.
- Sweeney M, Szwejczewski M & Cousens A (2006) Manufacturing network flexibility - roles and capabilities. In: 13th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Glasgow, 18-21 June 2006.
- Sweeney M, Szwejczewski M & Cousens A (2006) Manufacturing network flexibility - roles and capabilities. In: 17th Annual Conference of Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) 2006, Boston, Massachusetts, 28 April - 1 May 2006.
- Sweeney M & Szwejczewski M (2003) Global manufacturing network design: content and process. In: EurOMA & POMS Joint International Conference, Cernobbio, Lake Como, 16-18 June 2003.
- Viseras EM, Baines TS & Sweeney M (2003) Project management: The real challenge to the implementation of manufacturing strategy. In: 20th International Manufacturing Conference (IMC), Cork, 3 September 2003.
- Sweeney M (2002) Developing a Global Manufacturing Strategy to Remain Competitive in the Changing Economic Climate. In: Manucon 2002.
- Sweeney M (2002) Winning at Manufacturing. In: Manufacturer 2000 Conference, Telford.
- Sweeney M & Lane R (2000) Customer and Supplier Co-location: The Costs of Benefits of Increased Inter-dependence. In: 7th European Operations Management Association Conference, Ghent.
- Sweeney M & Szwejczewski M (2000) Generic manufacturing strategies among UK Industry. In: 1st World POM Conference, Seville.
- Lane R & Sweeney M (1999) Modular Production and Co-location in Supply Chains: A Structure for Mass Customisation and Fast Response. In: 6th European Operations Management Association Conference, Venice.
- Sweeney M (1999) The Search for Generic Manufacturing Strategies in the UK Electronics Industry. In: 10th Production and Operations Management Society Conference.
- Sweeney M & Szwejczewski M (1996) The Search for Generic Manufacturing Strategies in the UK Engineering Industry. In: 3rd European Operations Management Association Conference, London.
- Sweeney M (1996) Manufacturing Standards of Performance for Success - Lessons from the UK Best Factory Awards (1992-95). In: Australian Conference on Achieving Best Practice Manufacturing.
- Sweeney M & Lane R (2000) Leveraging Service Quality through Supply Chain Management. In: Supply Chain Management: Innovations for Education. POMS Series in Technology and Operations Management. Vol. 2. Johnson E, Pyke D (ed.), Production and Operations Management Society, p. 21-30.