Contact Professor Melvyn Peters
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2574
- Email: email@example.com
Melvyn has a BTech in Non-metallic Materials Technology and Management from Brunel University. His early career was in the third party logistics industry before he studied for his MSc in Transport Management at Cranfield. He then spent four years working at the University of Westminster, where he developed his interest in European logistics and logistical systems, before returning to Cranfield as an academic in 1989.
He was the recipient of the Plowman award in 2000 for the best educator's paper at the Council of Logistics Management conference and subsequently published in the Journal of Business Logistics.
Melvyn is a Senior Fellow Higher Education Academy a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, a Member of the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (US)
Melvyn's early research focused on freight transportation and logistics outsourcing, areas he maintains an interest in and currently teaches. As the Director of Education at Cranfield School of Management Melvyn is responsible for ongoing academic quality and governance of the School's taught degree programmes (MBA and MScs). In his role Melvyn was responsible for the development and launch of the first level 7 Senior Leaders (MBA) apprenticeship in the UK and is now overseeing the redesign to ensure compliance with the revised standard. Using this experience selected MSc are now being mapped against new apprenticeship standards.
Melvyn has significant postgraduate teaching experience as a lecturer, external examiner and external programme validator.
Given Melvyn's current role clients are related to educational development and include; Grant Thornton (apprenticeship), Muscat University and Commission for Academic Accreditation (Dubai).
Previous consultancy clients include; Accenture, Baker Rose, King Sturge and Panalpina.
Articles In Journals
- Van Der Werf GR, Dempewolf J, Trigg SN, Randerson JT, Kasibhatla PS, Giglio L, Murdiyarso D, Peters W, Morton DC, Collatz GJ, Dolman AJ & DeFries RS (2008) Climate regulation of fire emissions and deforestation in equatorial Asia, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 105 (51) 20350-20355.
- Renshaw R & Peters M (2007) The cost effectiveness of a build-to-order strategy for the production of building construction equipment, Supply Chain Practice, 9 (2) 4-32.
- Payne T & Peters M (2004) What Really is the Right Supply Chain for your Product: A Product Characterization Approach, International Journal of Logistics Management, The, 15 (2) 77-92.
- Peters MJ, Edwards P & Sharman G (2001) The Effectiveness of Information Systems in Supporting the Extended Supply Chains, Journal of Business Logistics, 22 (1).
- Peters MJ, Van Laarhoven P & Berglund M (2000) Third-Party Logistics in Europe - Five Years Later, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 30 (5) 425-442.
- Peters M, Leib R, Randall H & Ford R (1998) The Use of Third-Party Logistics (TPL) Services by UK and European Industry, Transport Logistics, 1 (3) 167-179.
- Peters M, Randall H, Leib R & Cooper J (1998) The Third-Party Logistics Industry in Europe: Provider Perspectives on the Industry's Current Status and Future Prospects, International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 1 (1) 9-25.
- Peters MJ & Jockel O (1998) The Day of the Mega-Carrier, Logistics Europe.
- Peters MJ (1998) Road Rage Taxation, Management focus (10).
- Peters M, Leib R & Randall H (1997) L'externalisation des Services Logistiques dans le Secteur Industriel au Royaume-Uni et en Europe Continentale, Logistique and Management, 5 (2).
- Peters & M (2016) The 4th industrial revolution and its impact on transport logistics - Conference Chairman. In: 4th Industrial Revolution Conference, 2016, Santander, Spain, 13-14 September 2016.
- Peters & M (2016) Transport collaboration: a case evaluation of an ambient/chill retail inbound network. In: 21st CILT LRN Annual Conference and PhD Workshop 2016, Hull, 7-9 September 2016.
- Ball G, Bernon M & Peters M (2012) Supply chain carbon emissions of a midsize information, communication and technology business in a shared user logistics environment. In: LRN Conference 2012, Cranfield, 5 September 2012.
- Baker P & Peters M (2005) Enhancing supply chain responsiveness through warehouse design and operations: A Central European perspective. In: 12th international annual European Operations Management Association conference (EurOMA 2005): operations and global competitiveness, Budapest, 1 June 2005.
- Peters M (2003) EU Accession: Logistics Impacts. In: Baltic Logistics Conference, Tallin.
- Peters M (2002) Future trends in the 3PL and 4PL outsourcing market: a European perspective. In: Logicon Conference, Singapore.
- Peters M (2002) A Survey of Telematic Use by European Road Freight Operators. In: Distribution Forum - Transport and Logistics in the Digital Era Conference, Genoa.
- Peters M (1999) The Logistics Market in the UK and Europe: A Service Provider Perspective. In: Shaping the Pan-European Supply Chains of the Future, Brussels.
- Peters M (1998) Third Party Logistics and their Role in the Transport Market. In: International Conference on Transport Logistics, Brussels.
- Peters M (1998) Third party Logistics Update: Annual User and Provider Surveys with Special Emphasis on Globalisation Efforts. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Anaheim.
- Peters M & Black I (1997) Sustainable Supply Chain: What Does It Mean?. In: Economic Dilemmas of Transport and Ecology, Trans 97, Warsaw.
- Peters M, Randall H & Leib R (1997) Contract Logistics Update: Reports from Users and Providers. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Chicago.
- Alexander J, Peters M & Bence V (1996) The Use of Third Party Logistics (TPL) Services by UK and European Industry. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Orlando, 20 October 1996.
- Peters M (1996) Contract Logistics: Update Report from Users and Providers. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Orlando, 20 October 1996.
- Peters M Improving Supply Chain Efficiencies with an Automation First Mindset. In: Intimate Round Table Event, Savoy Hotel, London, 29 April 2019.
- Peters M (2001) The use of third-party logistics services by European industry. In: Classics in Transport Analysis. Button K (ed.), Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Peters M, Lieb R & Randall H (2000) CEO Perspectives on the Current Status and Future Prospects of Third Party Logistics (TPL) Industry in Europe: A 1998 Survey. In: Third Party Logistics: A Manager's Guide. Lieb R (ed.), Huston: JKL Publications.
- Peters M, Lieb R & Randall H (2000) The Use of Third Party Logistics Services by Large Manufacturers in the United Kingdom and Continental Europe: A 1997 Survey. In: Third Party Logistics: A Manager's Guide. Lieb R (ed.), Huston: JKL Publications, p. 71-90.
- Peters M (2000) Europe's 3PL Industry Consolidates on the Road to Pan-European Services. In: Achieving Supply Chain Excellence Through Technology, San Francisco, CA: Montgomery Research Inc., p. 171-174.
- Peters M, Black I & Cooper J (1998) Creating the Sustainable Supply Chain: Modelling and Key Relationships. In: Transport Policy and the Environment. Banister D (ed.), London: Spon, p. 176-204.