Contact Professor Kevin Morrell
Prior to joining Cranfield Kevin was Professor of Strategy at Durham University Business School where he also served as Associate Dean for Postgraduate Research and Director of the PhD programme. From 2017 to 2020 he was Director of the largest Research Centre at DUBS, the Centre for Organizations and Society. After this 3 year term he was appointed Co-Director of the Centre for Ethical Finance and Governance.
Previously Kevin was Professor of Strategy and Head of the Strategy and International Business Group at Warwick Business School until taking up a British Academy Mid-Career Fellowship.
He has also held positions at the University of Birmingham where he was a Reader in Organizational Behaviour and at Loughborough University Business School where he was an ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow.
As the Rowlands Chair in Transformational Strategy Kevin helps companies successfully implement large scale change.
Touchstone Partners a boutique research consultancy commissioned Kevin to develop a model of shopper decision making (‘6S’). They are interested in phenomena such as panic buying and how ‘sticky’ large-scale Covid-related changes among the public were.
Priority Bridge is a Pittsburgh-based tech HR startup who Kevin is working with to develop a culture benchmarking tool to inform change management.
During a prestigious British Academy Fellowship, Kevin worked for a year on a very large dataset at West Midlands Police (tens of thousands of public surveys, over twelve years). This placed new emphasis on the importance of neighbourhood visibility and procedural justice.
In an award-winning collaboration with Nicola Harrington-Buhay, Kevin's research
helped the United Nations Development Programme develop a model of public interest in a post-war context.
Articles In Journals
- Morrell K & Dahlmann F (2022) Aristotle in the Anthropocene: the comparative benefits of Aristotelian virtue ethics over Utilitarianism and deontology, The Anthropocene Review, Available online 23 August 2022.
- Taylor B, Hewison A, Cross-Sudworth F & Morrell K (2022) Transformational Change in maternity services in England: a longitudinal qualitative study of a national transformation programme ‘Early Adopter’, BMC Health Services Research, 22 (1) Article No. 57.
- Fernandes O, Morrell K & Heracleous L (2021) How can governments tax multinational enterprises more fairly? a discourse analysis, Policy and Politics, 49 (4) 495-512.
- Learmonth M & Morrell K (2021) ‘Leadership’ as a project: Neoliberalism and the proliferation of ‘leaders’, Organization Theory, 2 (4) 1-19.
- Morrell K, Heracleous L, Fuller C & Bradford B (2021) How does the state restore order during crisis? Lessons from the U.K.’s response to the “Riots” of August 2011, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 57 (1) 80-103.
- Morrell K, Bradford B & Javid B (2020) What does it mean when we ask the public if they are ‘confident’ in policing? The trust, fairness, presence model of ‘public confidence’, International Journal of Police Science and Management, 22 (2) 111-122.
- Kassotaki O, Paroutis S & Morrell K (2018) Ambidexterity penetration across multiple organizational levels in an aerospace and defense organization, Long Range Planning, 52 (3) 366-385.
- Morrell K, Learmonth M & Heracleous L (2015) An archaeological critique of ‘evidence-based management’: One digression after another, British Journal of Management, 26 (3) 529-543.
- Morrell K & Learmonth M (2015) Against evidence-based management, for management learning, Academy of Management Learning and Education, 14 (4).
- Morrell K & Currie G (2015) Impossible jobs or impossible tasks? Client volatility and frontline policing practice in urban riots, Public Administration Review, 75 (2) 264-275.
- Morrell K & Tuck P (2014) Governance, tax and folk tales, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 39 (2) 134-147.
- Morrell K, Loan-Clarke J, Arnold J & Wilkinson A (2008) Mapping the decision to quit: A refinement and test of the unfolding model of voluntary turnover, Applied Psychology: An International Review, 57 (1) 128-150.
- Morrell K (2008) The narrative of 'evidence based' management: A polemic, Journal of Management Studies, 45 (3) 613-635.
- Morrell K & Arnold J (2007) Research article: Look after they leap: illustrating the value of retrospective reports in employee turnover, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18 (9) 1683-1699.
- Morrell K (2006) Governance, Ethics and the National Health Service, Public Money and Management, 26 (1) 55-62.
- Morrell K & Hartley J (2006) A model of political leadership, Human Relations, 59 (4) 483-504.
- Morrell K (2006) Aphorisms and leaders’ rhetoric: A new analytical approach, Leadership, 2 (3) 367-382.
- Morrell K (2005) Organizational psychology and development: A reader for students and practitioners, Personnel Review, 34 (4) 504-507.
- Morrell K (2005) Towards a typology of nursing turnover: the role of shocks in nurses' decisions to leave, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 49 (3) 315-322.
- Morrell K (2004) Decision making and business ethics: The implications of using image theory in preference to rational choice, Journal of Business Ethics, 50 (3) 239-252.
- Morrell K (2004) Socratic dialogue as a tool for teaching business ethics, Journal of Business Ethics, 53 (4) 383-392.
- Morrell K (2004) Enhancing effective careers thinking: scripts and Socrates, British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 32 (4) 547-558.
- Morrell KM (2003) Trends in Organizational Behavior Vol 8: Employee versus Owner Issues in Organizations, Personnel Review, 32 (4) 526-530.
- Bell G, Morrell K & Hanlon AM (2023) The two faces of the metaverse. In: 27th International Conference on Corporate and Marketing Communications, Cranfield University, Bedfordshire, 3-4 April 2023.
- Mellahi K, Morrell K & Wood GE (2010) The ethical business: Challenges and controversies. Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, ed. 2nd.