Contact Professor John Ward
- Email: email@example.com
John's main areas of interest are the strategic uses of IS/IT, the integration of IS/IT strategies with business strategies, the development of organisational IS capabilities and the management of IS/IT investments. He has published many papers in leading academic and business journals, including California Management Review and is co-author of the books, Strategic Planning for Information Systems and Benefits Management: Delivering Value from IS & IT Investments. He was Director of the IS Research Centre from 1993-2004. Prior to joining Cranfield in 1984, John worked in industry for 15 years, the last three as Systems Development Manager at Kodak Limited. He acts as a consultant to a range of major international corporations and public sector organisations. He has a degree in Natural Sciences from Cambridge, is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and is a past-President of the UK Academy for Information Systems.
Articles In Journals
- Kutsch E & Ward J (2012) The Fallacies of Modern Project Risk Management: A Process Worth Disengaging From?, Cutter It Journal, 25 (7) 33-39.
- Daniel E, Ward J & Franken A (2011) Project portfolio management in turbulent times , Research Executive Summary Series, 7 (2).
- Daniel E, Ward J & Franken A (2011) Doing the right projects: project portfolio management in tough times, Financial Management -London- (Sep) 51-52.
- Redondo Eduardo, Daniel Elizabeth & Ward John (2009) Combining the rational and relational perspectives of electronic trading, European Journal of Information Systems, 18 (1) 79-97.
- Ward J, Daniel E & Peppard J (2008) Building Better Business Cases for IT Investments, MIS Quarterly Executive, 7 (1) 15-15.
- Mohdzain M & Ward J (2007) A study of subsidiaries' views of information systems strategic planning in multi-national organizations, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 16 (4) 324-352.
- Peppard J, Ward JM & Daniel E (2007) Managing the realization of business benefits from IT investments, MIS Quarterly Executive, 6 1-11.
- White A, Daniel E, Ward J & Wilson H (2007) The adoption of consortium B2B e-marketplaces: An exploratory study, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 16 (1) 71-103.
- Ward JM & Mohdzain M (2006) Information systems strategic planning in multinationals: From the subsidiaries' perspective, Journal of Strategic Information Systems.
- Ward J & Daniel E (2005) Integrated service delivery: exploratory case studies of enterprise portal adoption in UK local government, Business Process Management Journal.
- Ward JM, Hemingway CJ & Daniel E (2005) A framework for addressing the organisational issues of enterprise systems implementation, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 14 (2) 97-119.
- Daniel E, White A & Ward J (2004) Exploring the role of third parties in inter-organizational web service adoption, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 17 (5) 351-360.
- Peppard J & Ward JM (2004) Beyond strategic information systems: towards an IS capability, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 13 (2) 167-194.
- Caldeira M & Ward JM (2003) Using resource-based theory to interpret the successful adoption and use of information systems and technology in manufacturing small and medium-sized enterprises, European Journal of Information Systems, 12 (2) 127-141.
- Ward JM & Caldeira M (2002) Understanding the successful adoption and use of IS/IT in SMEs: an explanation from Portuguese Manufacturing Industries, Information Systems Journal, 12 (2) 121-152.
- Ward JM & Dhillon G (2002) Chaos Theory as a Framework for Studying Information Systems, Information Resources Management Journal, 15 (2) 5-13.
- Breu K & Ward JM (2000) Towards an Explanation of the Organisational Benefits of IT-Enabled Communications: Developing a Conceptual Framework for Applied Research, 1 (1) 77-96.
- Peppard J & Ward JM (1999) 'Mind the Gap': Diagnosing the Relationship between the IT Organisation and the Rest of the Business, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 8 (1) 29-60.
- Elvin R & Ward JM (1999) A New Framework for Managing IT Enabled Business Change, Information Systems Journal, 9 (3) 197-221.
- Elvin R, Davies A & Ward JM (1999) Managing IT Enabled Change - A New Approach, Management focus (12) 18-19.
- Ward J, Taylor P & Bond P (1996) Evaluation and Realisation of IS/IT Benefits: An Empirical Study of Current Practice, European Journal of Information Systems, 4 (1) 214-225.
- Peppard J & Ward JM (1996) Reconciling the IT/Business Relationship: A Troubled Marriage in Need of Guidance, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 5 (1) 37-65.
- Ward J, De Hertogh S & Viaene S (2007) Managing benefits from IS/IT investments:. In: Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences, Hawaii.
- Caldeira M, Cragg P & Ward J (2006) Information systems competencies in small and medium-sized enterprises. In: UKAIS Conference, Cheltenham.
- Cragg P, Caldeira M & Ward J (2006) Information systems competencies in small manufacturing firms. In: ICSB Conference, Melbourne.
- Ward J & Daniel E (2005) Enterprise portals: Balancing the organisational and individual perspectives of information systems. In: European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2005), Regensburg.
- Daniel Elizabeth & Ward John (2005) Enterprise portals: addressing the organisational and individual perspectives of information systems.
- Daniel E & Ward J (2003) Enterprise portal: improving service delivery in local government. In: UKAIS Conference, Warwick.
- Mohdzain M & Ward J (2003) Information systems strategic planning in multinationals: a case study. In: UKAIS Conference, Warwick.
- Ward J & Caldeira M (2001) Using Resource Based Theory to Understand the Successful Adoption and Use of IS/IT in Manufacturing SMEs. In: ECIS 2001 Conference, Bled.
- Mohdzain M & Ward J (2001) Information systems strategic planning in multinationals: initial findings from pilot case studies. In: UKAIS Conference, Portsmouth.
- Daniel E, Wilson H, Ward J & McDonald M (2000) Improved Deployment of Marketing Information Systems. In: Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Long Beach, CA.
- Breu K & Ward J (1999) Understanding the Business Benefits of IT-Enabled Communications in Organisations: Developing a Suitable Research Model. In: 4th UKAIS Conference, York.
- Ward J & Daniel E (2005) Benefits management: Delivering value from IS & IT Investments. Wiley.
- Ward J & Peppard J (2002) Strategic Planning for Information Systems. Sussex: Wiley, ed. 3rd edition.
- Daniel E, Wilson H, McDonald M & Ward J (2001) Marketing Stategy in the Digital Age: Exploiting e-Commerce in your Busines. Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
- Breu K, Ward J & Murray P (2000) Success Factors in Leveraging the Corporate Information and Knowledge Resource through Intranets. In: Knowledge Management and Virtual Organizations. Malhotra Y (ed.), Ideal Group Publishing, p. 306-320.
- Ward J & McGolphin P (1997) Factors Influencing the Success of Strategic Information Systems. In: Information Systems - An Emerging Discipline. Mingers J, Stowell F (ed.), McGraw Hill.
- Edwards C, Ward J & Bytheway A (1996) The Essence of Information Systems. Prentice Hall.
- Ward J & Griffiths P (1996) Strategic Planning for Information Systems. John Wiley, ed. 2nd edition.
- Ward J (1995) The Principles of Information Systems Management. Thomson Learning.