Chris has an international reputation in his chosen specialisms within Information Systems. He has addressed conferences across the globe and advises the world’s largest businesses in securing benefits from Information Systems.
His career began by developing accounting focussed information for businesses. During this time he qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant and was elected as a Fellow of the Institute. He became a Professor at Cranfield School of Management in 1983 after working at the prestigious Graduate School of Industrial Administration at Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA. As the lead on Information Systems at Cranfield he has recruited a group of like minded individuals, many of which are now Professors at universities around the world.
He has consulted with private and public sector businesses and has been retained by sectors of the UK Government in an on-going advisory capacity. He has advised the world’s largest bank in securing benefits from IT and provided ‘assurance’ reports to the Federal Reserve on organisational performance in relation to managing technology.
He is the author of seven books and has published in virtually every relevant Information Systems Journal in the world.
Delegates and attendees at conferences always mention Chris' ability to explain complex issues in simple and straightforward terms. Many mention his ability to address real organisational issues: some say he lives at the intersection between academia and business practice.
Articles In Journals
- Peppard J, Edwards, C & Lambert R (2011) Clarifying the Ambiguous role of the CIO, MIS Quarterly Executive, 10 (1) 197-210.
- Franken A, Edwards C & Lambert R (2009) Executing Strategic Change: Understanding the Critical Management Elements that lead to Success, California Management Review, 51 (3) 49-73.
- Edwards C & Lambert R (2007) Changing course, Accountancy, 140 (1368) 46-47.
- Edwards C & Lambert R (2007) A superstar or the supporting act? The CIO's role in transformation., Computer Weekly 10-10.
- Edwards C, Braganza A & Lambert R (2000) Understanding and managing process initiatives: a framework for developing consensus, Knowledge and Process Management, 7 (1) 29-36.
- Peppard J, Lambert RD & Edwards C (2000) Whose Job is it Anyway? Organizational Information Competencies for Value Creation, Information Systems Journal, 10 (4) 291-322.
- Braganza A, Edwards C & Lambert RD (1999) A Taxonomy of Knowledge Projects to Underpin Organizational Innovation and Competitiveness, Knowledge and Process Management, 6 (2) 83-90.
- Whyte G, Bytheway A & Edwards C (1997) Understanding User Perceptions of Information Systems Success, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 6 (1) 35-68.
- Edwards C, Peppard J & Lambert R (1999) Managing IT Governance. In: European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS '99).
- Peppard J, Edwards C & Lambert R (1999) A Governance Framework for Information Management. In: BIT World 99, Cape Town.
- Edwards C, Peppard J & Lambert R (1999) IS Governance in Global Enterprises. In: BIT World 99, Cape Town.
- Edwards C & Grimshaw D (1998) An Emerging Vision of Information Infrastructure. In: 3rd UKAIS Conference, Lincoln.
- Edwards C & Peppard J (1997) Operationalizing Strategy Through Process.
- Brewster C & Edwards C (1996) Do You Need Expatriates?. In: International Human Resource Management Conference, San Diego.
- Peppard J & Edwards C (1998) Forging a Link between Business Strategy and Business Process Reengineering. In: Strategic Development: Methods and Models. Dyson R, O'Brien F (ed.), John Wiley, p. 147-160.
- Edwards C, Ward J & Bytheway A (1996) The Essence of Information Systems. Prentice Hall.
- Edwards C (1996) Business Process Redesign: Emerging Trends. John Wiley.
- Edwards C & Peppard J (1996) Implications of Experiences with Business Process Re-engineering for Strategic IS/IT Planning. In: Managing Business Process: BPR and Beyond. Armistead C, Rowland P (ed.), John Wiley, p. 189-213.
- Edwards C, Savage N, Walden I (eds), (1990) Information technology and the law, UK: MacMillan Publishers Ltd, ed. 2nd.
- Edwards C & Walden I (1990) Data Protection. In: Computer Law. Reed C (ed.), London, UK: Blackstone Press Ltd, p. 198-218.
- Savage N. Edwards C (1985) A Guide to The Data Protection Act 1984. Implementing The Act. London, UK: Financial Training Publications Ltd, ed. 2nd.
- Briston RJ, Davies JR, Dean PN, Edwards C, Ewing S, Greensted CS, Lyall D, McGeehan C, McInnes W, Millar AJ, Minnis EP, Oakes L, Perks R & Tomkins CR (1981) Introduction to Accountancy and Finance. London UK: MacMillan Press Ltd.