Contact Professor Ann Fitz-Gerald
Professor Ann Fitz-Gerald obtained a Commerce degree from Queen's University, Canada; a Politics degree from Queen's University, Canada; a Masters of Arts (War Studies) from the Royal Military College of Canada; and a PhD from Cranfield University.
Ann has worked in the financial sector, for the Canadian Government (both in the Pearson Peacekeeping Centre and NATO Headquarters, Brussels) and the North Atlantic Assembly in Brussels. Following the completion of her PhD, she worked for King's College, London University before taking up a post in Cranfield University's Department of Management and Security.
Ann Fitz-Gerald serves as Course Director for the MSc Security Sector Management programme both in the UK and in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. She teaches 'Issues in International Conflict, Security and Development' and 'Strategic Planning for Security and Development'. Based on Ann's academic qualifications and professional experience, she brings both a political science and management science 'lens' to the study of contemporary security challenges. Ann's research interests include issues in peacebuilding, the development of national security strategies, and the reform of national security sectors.
- United Nations,
- Department for International Development (UK)
- UK Government (MOD, FCO, Stabilisation Unit)
- US Institute for Peace
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- African Union High-Level Implementation Panel
- Government of Canada (Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Public Safety Canada).
Articles In Journals
- Fitz-Gerald A (2017) Towards a common doctrine for African Standby Force-led peace operations, International Peacekeeping, 24 (4) 616-638.
- Berhane, D & Fitz-Gerald A (2017) General Samora Yenus: Profile, Sudanese award, Expert comment, Horn Affairs (October 11, 2017).
- Macphee PL & Fitz-Gerald AM (2014) Multiplying a Force for Good: Evaluating the impact of security sector management postgraduate education in Ethiopia, Journal of Peace Education, 11 (1) 208-224.
- Graben S & Fitz-Gerald A (2013) Mind the Gap: The Importance of Local Institutions in Peacebuilding funded Interventions, Conflict, Security and Development, 13 (3) 285-316.
- Fitz-Gerald AM & Blair S (2010) Stabilisation and stability operations : a Literature Review.
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2008) A UK National Security Strategy: Institutional and Cultural Challenges, Defence Studies, 8 (1) 4-25.
- Fitz-Gerald A & Tracy M Developing a decision-making model for security sector development in uncertain situations., Journal of Security Sector Management, 6 (2) 1-37.
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2005) Facing the Facts: Peacekeeping's Place Within a Broader Approach to Security, Journal of Conflict Studies, 15 (2) 3-22.
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2004) The civil-military interface with local populations: The impact on peacebuilding activities, Sicherheit und Frieden, 22 (2).
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2003) Challenges for Multinational Troops in Future Peacekeeping Theatres, Journal of Conflict Studies, 23 (1).
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2003) Military and Post-Conflict Security: Implications for American, British and Other Allied Forces Planning and for Post-Conflict Iraq, Journal of Security Sector Management, 1 (2).
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2003) Military and Post-Conflict Security: Implications for American, British and Other Allied Forces Planning and for Post-Conflict Iraq, Choices, 9 (3).
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2002) Setting the scene: the new conflict environment and contemporary challenges for interventionists., Medicine, Conflict and Survival, 18 (1) 5-22.
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2002) Multinational Land Force Interoperability: Meeting the Challange of Different Cultural Backgrounds in Chapter VI Peace Support Operations, Choices, 8 (3).
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2002) A Strategic Management Framework for Improved Aid Delivery, International Peacekeeping.
- Fitz-Gerald AM & Macnamara WD (2002) A National Security Framework for Canada, Policy Matters, 3 (10).
- Fitz-Gerald AM, Neal DJ & Molinaro P (2001) Humanitarian Aid and Organisational Management, Conflict, Security and Development, 1 (3) 135-145.
- Fitz-Gerald AM (2000) Dispelling the myth between the role of commercial companies and NGOs in humanitarian theatres, Journal of Mine Action, 4 (3).
- Fitz-Gerald AM Peacekeeping Intelligence, Journal of Security Sector Management, 1 (3).
- Fitz-Gerald AM The Security-Development Nexus: Implications for Joined-Up Government, Policy Matters.
- Fitz-Gerald AM Security Sector Reform - Streamlining National Military Forces to Respond to the Wider Security Needs, Journal of Security Sector Management, 1 (1).
- Egginton B & Fitz-Gerald A (2012) Learning from the East African Experience: PROFIDE - a model for improved program delivery. In: PMI Research and Education Conference, Limerick, 15 July 2012.
- Neal DJ & Fitz-Gerald AM Humanitarian Aid and the role of the NGO. In: SEMS Conference, Surrey University.
- MacPhee PJ, Fitz-Gerald & AM (2017) Chapter 11: promoting peace and stability through exported postgraduate education in Ethiopia. In: Higher Education in Africa: Challenges for development, Mobility and Cooperation, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, p. 236-257.
- Fitz-Gerald A (2013) South Sudan. In: Responding to Conflict in Africa: The United Nations and Regional Organizations. Boulden J (ed.), Palgrave-MacMillan, p. 307-326, ed. 2nd.
- Fitz-Gerald A (2012) The centrality of development in security intervention. In: Back to roots: security sector reform and development. Schnabel, A and Farr, V (ed.), Berlin: Lit Verlag, p. 293-317, ed. 1st.
- Fitz-Gerald A (2012) Stabilization operations in Afghanistan and in the future: the need for a strategic Canadian approach. In: Canada's national security in the post-9/11 World. McDonough, DS (ed.), Canada: University of Toronto Press, p. 324-339, ed. 1st.
- Fitz-Gerald A (2010) Post-conflict security sector reform and stabilisation operations: strange bedfellows or close allies. In: The Future of security sector reform. Sedra, M (ed.), Canada: Centre for International Governance Innovation, p. 154-168.
- Fitz-Gerald A (2009) Examining the linkages between national security frameworks and security sector reform (SSR): the need for ‘value-based’ strategic planning. In: Strategizing resilience and reducing vulnerability. Trim, P and Caravelli, J (ed.), USA: Nova Science Publishers Inc, p. 15-28, ed. 1st.
- Pearce H, Fitz-Gerald A (eds), (2006) From Conflict to Community: a Combatant's Return to Citizenship.
- Fitz-Gerald A (eds), (2005) From conflict to community a combatant's return to citizenship, Shrivenham: Cranfield University: Global Facilitation Network for Security Sector Reform [GFN-SSR].
- Neal DJ & Fitz-Gerald AM (2004) A Strategic Management Framework for Improved Aid Delivery. In: New Missions, Old Problems, McGill-Queen's University Press, p. 47-67.
- Fitz-Gerald A (2004) Security sector reform in Sierra Leone. Shrivenham: Cranfield University: Global Facilitation Network for Security Sector Reform [GFN-SSR].
- Fitz-Gerald AM, Lala A (eds), (2004) Networking the networks supporting regional peace and security agendas in Africa, Shrivenham: Cranfield University: Global Facilitation Network for Security Sector Reform [GFN-SSR].