Mike Bernon is an academic within the Centre for Logistics, Procurement and Supply Chain Management, Cranfield School of Management. With over 25 years of teaching experience, he currently holds a number of posts, including Programme Director for the Cranfield Executive MBA and Executive Development Director for supply chain management customised education programmes.
He is a dedicated educator and renowned presenter and has taught at academic institutions around the world, for which he has received multiple awards. He has worked with numerous corporate clients to develop their people capability by co-creating and delivering innovative customised executive education programmes.
His scholarly interests are in the areas of supply chain management and strategy, sustainability, circular economy, reverse logistics, supply chain 4.0 and supply chain improvement. Previously, Mike has been the major recipient of research funding from bodies including the UK EPSRC, World Bank, Department for Transport (DFT) and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and WRAP. He has received recognition for his 'impact' on industry through the UK Government assessment of UK universities' research excellence framework (REF). As a consultant, Mike has worked with many companies to support them on supply chain transformation, re-design and improvement projects.
Mike is involved in a range of activities, including:
- Cranfield Executive MBA Programme Director
- Corporate executive education programme design and management
- Teaching and Learning expert - supply chain management
- Supply chain sustainability and circular economy principles
- Reverse logistics and retail product returns management
- Product recall management and impact on shareholder value
Mike has worked with a wide range of organisations. A sample is provided below:
British Petroleum (BP)
Coca Cola (CCHBC)
Articles In Journals
- Saghiri SS, Bernon M, Bourlakis M & Wilding R (2018) Omni-channel logistics special issue, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 48 (4) 362-364.
- Bernon M & Tjahjono B (2018) Aligning retail reverse logistics practice with circular economy values: An exploratory framework, Production Planning and Control, 29 (6) 483-497.
- Bernon M, Cullen J & Gorst J (2016) Online retail returns management: Integration within an omni-channel distribution context, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 46 (6-7) 584-605.
- Chatterton J, Parsons D, Nicholls J, Longhurst P, Bernon M, Palmer A, Brennan F, Kolios A, Wilson I, Ishiyama E, Clements-Croome D, Elmualim A, Darby H, Yearley T & Davies G (2015) Carbon brainprint - An estimate of the intellectual contribution of research institutions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 96 74-81.
- Bernon M, Upperton J, Bastl M & Cullen J (2013) An exploration of supply chain integration in the retail product returns process, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 43 (7) 586-608.
- Bernon M & Mena C (2013) The Evolution of Customised Executive Education in Supply Chain Management, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 18 (4) 440-453.
- Cullen J, Tsamenyi M, Bernon M & Gorst J (2013) Reverse logistics in the UK retail sector: A case of the role of management accounting in driving organisational change, Management Accounting Research, 24 (3) 212-227.
- Cullen J, Tsamenyi M, Bernon M & Gorst J (2013) Reverse logistics in the UK retail sector: A case study of the role of management accounting in driving organisational change, Management Accounting Research, 24 (3) 212-227.
- Bernon M (2011) Managing the retail return nightmare, Management Focus (Cranfield), Autumn 2011 (31) 12-13.
- Bernon M, Rossi S & Cullen J (2011) Retail reverse logistics: a call and grounding framework for research, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 41 (5) 484-510.
- Chapman P, Bernon M & Haggett P (2011) Applying selected quality management techniques to diagnose delivery time variability, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 28 (9) 1019-1040.
- Whicker L, Bernon M, Templar S & Mena C (2009) Understanding the relationships between time and cost to improve supply chain performance, International Journal of Production Economics, 121 (2) 641-650.
- Mena C, Aspinall R, Bernon M, Templar S & Whicker L (2004) Gaining Visibility of Your Supply Chain Costs., Logistics and Transport Focus, 6 (6) 54-58.
- Templar S & Bernon MP (2002) The Impact of Supply Chain Management on Organisational Financial Performance, Supply Chain Practice, 4 (4) 62-77.
- Mena C, Whicker L, Templar S & Bernon MP (2002)
Costing the supply chain, Manufacturing Engineer, 81 (5) 225-228.
- Nonhoff B, Skipworth H, Bourlakis M, Mena C, Bernon M & Reefke H (2017) Exploring the imperative for purchasing strategic alignment to drive purchasing maturity. In: 24th EurOMA Conference 2017, Edinburgh, 1-5 July 2017.
- Mena C, Bernon M, Templar S & Whicker L (2013) Developing a Tool for Analysing Cause-Effect Relationships in the Supply Chain. In: 18th International Symposium on Logistics (ISL 2013), Salzburg, 7 July 2013.
- Ball G, Bernon M & Peters M (2012) Supply chain carbon emissions of a midsize information, communication and technology business in a shared user logistics environment. In: LRN Conference 2012, Cranfield, 5 September 2012.
- Whatling D, Taylor P, Hedges P, Wilding R, Bernon M & Fermor P (2011) Management of biodiversity risks in the supply chain: a case study. In: Logistics Research Network Conference 2011, Southampton, 7-9 September 2011.
- Rossi S, Cozzolino A, Colicchia C, Christopher M & Bernon M (2010) Logistics Providers' Strategies Concerning Eco-Efficiency: A Supply Chain Perspective. In: 17th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Porto, 6 June 2010.
- Whatling D, Hedges P, Wilding R, Bernon M, Brown R & Fermor P (2010) Management of Biodiversity Risks and Opportunities in the Supply Chain. In: 15th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference, 2010, Harrogate, 8-10 September 2010.
- Mason R, Bernon M & Sanchez-Rodrigues V (2010) Exploring disconnects between carbon mitigation initiatives and strategies. In: 15th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference, 2010, Harrogate, 8-10 September 2010.
- Templar S, Bernon M & Fan M (2006) Supply Chain Costing - A Road Map. In: Logistics Research Network Conference 2006, Newcastle, 6 September 2006.
- Stephens C, Bernon M, Mena C & Templar S (2006) Application of Supply Chain Time and Cost Mapping Techniques in a UK chilled Food Manufacturing Company.. In: Logistics Research Network Conference 2006, Newcastle, 6 September 2006.
- Bernon M & Cullen J (2004) An integrated Supply Chain approach to Reverse Logistics. In: Logistics Research Network 2004, Dublin, Ireland, 9 September 2004.
- Bernon M, Mena C, Templar S & Whicker L (2003) Costing Waste in Supply Chain Process: A European Food and Drink Industry Case Study.. In: EurOMA International Conference, Lake Como.
- Templar S, Bernon M, Mena C & Whicker L (2002) Supply Chain Effectiveness and Swift Service: A Case Study in a Multinational Food Manufacturer. In: 9th EurOMA Conference, Copenhagen.
- Mena C, Bernon M, Templar S & Whicker L (2002) Costing waste in the supply chain: a case study in the food industry. In: Logistics Research Network annual conference, Birmingham.
- Whicker L, Bernon M, Mena C & Templar S (2002) Visualising costs in the food and drink industry. In: 9th EurOMA Conference, Copenhagen.
- Wilding R, Bernon M & Bender R (1999) Millennium Boom and Bust: An Investigation into Millennium Stocking Policies. In: Logistics Research Network 4th annual conference.
- Bernon M, Baker P, Mena C, Palmer A, Smart A, Skipworth H & Templar S (2012) Towards more sustainable supply chain management. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, p. 149-166.
- Bernon M (2009) Building sustainable Supply Chains for the Future. In: Dynamic Supply Chain Alignment, England: Gower Publishing Limited, p. 299-310.