Contact Michael Bernon
Mike works collaboratively with companies to design, develop and deliver innovative customised executive develop programmes for global clients. In addition, he is deeply involved with the Executive and Full Time MBA programme and the Executive and Full time Masters in Logistics and Supply Chain Management. Mike continues to be a visiting lecturer to a number of universities and academic institutions across Europe and the Far East. His current research interests are in the areas of supply chain sustainability, carbon footprint measurement, reverse logistics. However, he also has research interests in supply chain network design, supply chain re-design, supply chain improvement and supply chain costing. He has been the principal investigator for a number of major research programmes including, for the EPSRC, World Bank, Department for Transport (DfT) and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships. He is currently the Chairperson for the Cranfield Sustainable Supply Chain Forum and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and is Chair of their Reverse Logistics Forum.
Prior to joining Cranfield, Mike worked in retail management for several years and spent four years based in Singapore developing regional distributors concerned with the supply of UK manufactured control and instrumentation equipment.
Mike is involved in a number of research and teaching activities including:
- Integrated business management
- Manufacturing planning within global supply chains
- Food supply chain vulnerability (DEFRA)
- Reverse Logistics (Industrial benchmarking study)
- Product recalls impact on shareholder value (10 year study)
- Total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Supply chain concepts
- Supply chain integration (SCI)
- Procurement management practice
Mike has worked with numerous companies on research projects and in his role as Director of Executive Development (SCM). He has also run research programmes for DEFRA, DfT, World Bank and EPSRC.
Current clients and research partners include:
British Petroleum (BP)
Articles In Journals
- Bernon M & Tjahjono B (2018) Aligning retail reverse logistics practice with circular economy values: An exploratory framework, Production Planning and Control, 29 (6) 483-497.
- Saghiri SS, Bernon M, Bourlakis M & Wilding R. (2018) Omni-channel logistics special issue, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 48 (4) 362-364.
- Bernon M, Cullen J & Gorst J (2016) Online retail returns management: Integration within an omni-channel distribution context, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 46 (6-7) 584-605.
- Chatterton J, Parsons D, Nicholls J, Longhurst P, Bernon M, Palmer A, Brennan F, Kolios A, Wilson I, Ishiyama E, Clements-Croome D, Elmualim A, Darby H, Yearley T & Davies G (2015) Carbon brainprint - An estimate of the intellectual contribution of research institutions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 96 74-81.
- Bernon M, Upperton J, Bastl M & Cullen J (2013) An exploration of supply chain integration in the retail product returns process, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 43 (7) 586-608.
- Bernon M & Mena C (2013) The Evolution of Customised Executive Education in Supply Chain Management, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 18 (4) 440-453.
- Cullen J, Tsamenyi M, Bernon M & Gorst J (2013) Reverse logistics in the UK retail sector: A case of the role of management accounting in driving organisational change, Management Accounting Research, 24 (3) 212-227.
- Cullen J, Tsamenyi M, Bernon M & Gorst J (2013) Reverse logistics in the UK retail sector: A case study of the role of management accounting in driving organisational change, Management Accounting Research, 24 (3) 212-227.
- Bernon M (2011) Managing the retail return nightmare, Management Focus (Cranfield), Autumn 2011 (31) 12-13.
- Bernon M, Rossi S & Cullen J (2011) Retail reverse logistics: a call and grounding framework for research, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 41 (5) 484-510.
- Chapman P, Bernon M & Haggett P (2011) Applying selected quality management techniques to diagnose delivery time variability, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 28 (9) 1019-1040.
- Whicker L, Bernon M, Templar S & Mena C (2009) Understanding the relationships between time and cost to improve supply chain performance, International Journal of Production Economics, 121 (2) 641-650.
- Mena C, Aspinall R, Bernon M, Templar S & Whicker L (2004) Gaining Visibility of Your Supply Chain Costs., Logistics and Transport Focus, 6 (6) 54-58.
- Templar S & Bernon MP (2002) The Impact of Supply Chain Management on Organisational Financial Performance, Supply Chain Practice, 4 (4) 62-77.
- Mena C, Whicker L, Templar S & Bernon MP (2002)
Costing the supply chain, Manufacturing Engineer, 81 (5) 225-228.
- Nonhoff B, Skipworth H, Bourlakis M, Mena C, Bernon M & Reefke H (2017) Exploring the imperative for purchasing strategic alignment to drive purchasing maturity. In: 24th EurOMA Conference 2017, Edinburgh, 1-5 July 2017.
- Mena C, Bernon M, Templar S & Whicker L (2013) Developing a Tool for Analysing Cause-Effect Relationships in the Supply Chain. In: 18th International Symposium on Logistics (ISL 2013), Salzburg, 7 July 2013.
- Ball G, Bernon M & Peters M (2012) Supply chain carbon emissions of a midsize information, communication and technology business in a shared user logistics environment. In: LRN Conference 2012, Cranfield, 5 September 2012.
- Whatling D, Taylor P, Hedges P, Wilding R, Bernon M & Fermor P (2011) Management of biodiversity risks in the supply chain: a case study. In: Logistics Research Network Conference 2011, Southampton, 7-9 September 2011.
- Rossi S, Cozzolino A, Colicchia C, Christopher M & Bernon M (2010) Logistics Providers' Strategies Concerning Eco-Efficiency: A Supply Chain Perspective. In: 17th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Porto, 6 June 2010.
- Whatling D, Hedges P, Wilding R, Bernon M, Brown R & Fermor P (2010) Management of Biodiversity Risks and Opportunities in the Supply Chain. In: 15th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference, 2010, Harrogate, 8-10 September 2010.
- Mason R, Bernon M & Sanchez-Rodrigues V (2010) Exploring disconnects between carbon mitigation initiatives and strategies. In: 15th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference, 2010, Harrogate, 8-10 September 2010.
- Templar S, Bernon M & Fan M (2006) Supply Chain Costing - A Road Map. In: Logistics Research Network Conference 2006, Newcastle, 6 September 2006.
- Stephens C, Bernon M, Mena C & Templar S (2006) Application of Supply Chain Time and Cost Mapping Techniques in a UK chilled Food Manufacturing Company.. In: Logistics Research Network Conference 2006, Newcastle, 6 September 2006.
- Bernon M & Cullen J (2004) An integrated Supply Chain approach to Reverse Logistics. In: Logistics Research Network 2004, Dublin, Ireland, 9 September 2004.
- Bernon M, Mena C, Templar S & Whicker L (2003) Costing Waste in Supply Chain Process: A European Food and Drink Industry Case Study.. In: EurOMA International Conference, Lake Como.
- Templar S, Bernon M, Mena C & Whicker L (2002) Supply Chain Effectiveness and Swift Service: A Case Study in a Multinational Food Manufacturer. In: 9th EurOMA Conference, Copenhagen.
- Mena C, Bernon M, Templar S & Whicker L (2002) Costing waste in the supply chain: a case study in the food industry. In: Logistics Research Network annual conference, Birmingham.
- Whicker L, Bernon M, Mena C & Templar S (2002) Visualising costs in the food and drink industry. In: 9th EurOMA Conference, Copenhagen.
- Wilding R, Bernon M & Bender R (1999) Millennium Boom and Bust: An Investigation into Millennium Stocking Policies. In: Logistics Research Network 4th annual conference.
- Bernon M, Baker P, Mena C, Palmer A, Smart A, Skipworth H & Templar S (2012) Towards more sustainable supply chain management. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, p. 149-166.
- Bernon M (2009) Building sustainable Supply Chains for the Future. In: Dynamic Supply Chain Alignment, England: Gower Publishing Limited, p. 299-310.