Contact Dr Walter Gontarek
- Email: W.Gontarek@cranfield.ac.uk
Dr Walter Gontarek is a Visiting Fellow at Cranfield University. He is the CEO and Chairman of Channel Capital, a London-based FCA authorized and regulated asset manager. He previously established the Global Credit Products business at the Royal Bank of Canada, managing the origination, structuring, trading and distribution of credit risk in cash and synthetic form across global markets. Walt previously served as a president of a consumer and SME banking platform. He serves on the boards of FrontClear Management BV, Cloud 9 Group NV, and as chairman of Wiserfunding Ltd, the London FinTech which produces leading credit risk tools for SMEs. Walt sits on the boards of the UK regulated entities of Catalina Re-insurance Company, including their audit and risk committee. Walt was named a Finance Expert by PRIME Finance at the Peace Palace in The Hague in 2012, is a member of the European Corporate Governance Institute and the International Corporate Governance Society.
He holds a BBA Finance from Loyola College, an MBA Finance from NYU Stern and a doctorate in Finance from Cranfield University. He holds certificates from the HEC Graduate School of Management, Stanford University’s Directors College and in Cyber Risk Oversight from Carnegie Mellon University. He has published (or co-published) in the Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, the Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, the Journal of Banking Regulation, and in Financial Markets, Institutions & Instruments. Walt supervises MSc and Doctoral candidates and lectures on financial markets, corporate governance, regulation, and ethics, as well as FinTech electives. He serves on the Cranfield School of Management Practice Advisory Board for Finance.
Articles In Journals
- Gontarek W & Belghitar Y (2020) CEO chairman controversy: evidence from the post financial crisis period, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Available online 13 July 2020.
- Gontarek W & Belghitar Y (2018) Risk governance: Examining its impact upon bank performance and risk-taking, Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments, 27 (5) 187-224.
- Gontarek W & Bender R. (2018) Examining risk governance practices in global financial institutions: the adoption of risk appetite statements, Journal of Banking Regulation, 20 (Early Online).
- Gontarek W. (2016) Risk governance in financial institutions: The growing importance of risk appetite and culture, Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, 9 (2).