Dr Oksana Koryak is a Lecturer in Entrepreneurship and the Programme Director, MSc in Management and Entrepreneurship. Prior to joining the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship, she researched entrepreneurial leadership, capability development and growth in the SME sector at the Enterprise Research Centre at Warwick Business School, as a part of a research project part-funded by ESRC. Prior to that, Oksana was a Senior Research Fellow at the International Centre for Programme Management at Cranfield, conducting research into the managerial decision-making process underlying the design and execution of strategic change initiatives.
Oksana is a Chartered Financial Analyst and holds a PhD in Management from IE Business School in Madrid and a Masters in Finance from the University of Amsterdam. Prior to academia, Oksana held various client-facing roles in corporate and investment banking, originating and executing complex leveraged buyout and project finance transactions, most recently as a Vice President, Leveraged Finance. During that time, Oksana interacted closely with senior management of her client firms and with financial investors.
Oksana’s research interests centre on decision making and cognition in the field of entrepreneurship as well as on growth, leadership and capability development in SMEs. Her work has been published in the International Small Business Journal, Journal of Private Equity and Journal of Enterprise Information Management. Oksana has presented her research at the leading academic conferences including the Academy of Management and the Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference.
Articles In Journals
- Koryak O, Lockett A, Hayton J, Nicolau N & Mole K (2018) Disentangling the antecedents of ambidexterity: Exploration and exploitation, Research Policy, 47 (2) 413-427.
- Lorenzo Ochoa OJ, Claes B, Koryak O & Diaz A (2017) Integration through orchestration: the interplay between enterprise systems & inventory management capabilities, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 30 (4) 555-582.
- Oksana Koryak, Kevin F Mole, Andy Lockett, James C Hayton, Deniz Ucbasaran & Gerard P Hodgkinson (2015) Entrepreneurial leadership, capabilities and firm growth, International Small Business Journal, 33 (1) 89-105.
- Koryak O & Smolarksi J (2008) Perception of risk by venture capital and private equity firms: a European perspective, Journal of Private Equity, 11 (2) 30-42.
- Koryak O, Lockett A, Hayton J, Nicolaou N & Mole K (2016) Disentangling the antecedents of ambidexterity: exploration and exploitation. In: 2016 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California, 5-9 August 2016.
- Lorenzo O, Koryak O & Claes B (2015) Resource Orchestration at Banesco: Riding the Volatility Wave. In: Iberoamerican Academy of Management, 2015, Santiago de Chile, 10 December 2015.
- Hussels S, Koryak O & Reinmoeller P (2014) Weathering the storms: identifying attributes of entrepreneurs’ resilience using repertory grid technique. In: EURAM 2014**: 14th European Academy of Management Annual Conference, Valencia, 4-7 June 2014.
- Hussels S, Koryak O, Reinmoeller P & Tobias J (2014) Weathering the storms: unpacking entrepreneurs' resilience using repertory grid technique. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2014, Philadelphia, PA. 74th, 1-5 August 2014.
- Diaz A, Lorenzo O, Claes B & Koryak O (2013) Inventory Practices and Enterprise Systems as Complementary Capabilities in Supply Chain Integration. In: Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2013, Orlando, FL, 9-13 August 2013.
- Claes BP, Koryak O, Diaz A & Lorenzo O (2012) The role of trust and control in co-exploration and co-exploitation buyer-supplier relationships. In: 2012 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, 3 August 2012.
- Koryak O, Hussels S & Kutsch E (2012) Resource Orchestration: Internal Governance as a Mechanism of Synchronization. In: EURAM 2012: 12th European Academy of Management Annual Conference, Rotterdam, 6-8 June 2012.
- Koryak O & de Castro J (2010) The Role of Centrality in Investment Decisions of Venture Capital Firms. In: EURAM 2010 - 10th European Academy of Management Annual Conference, Rome, 19 May 2010.
- Koryak O & de Castro J (2010) The Role of Fundraising in Investment Decisions of Venture Capital Firms. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2010, Montreal, 6 August 2010.
- Koryak O (2008) The Role of Agency in VC Decision Making. In: 28th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Chapel Hill, NC, 5 June 2008.
- Koryak O & de Castro J. (2008) A behavioral model of risk taking by VC firms. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2008**, Anaheim, CA, 8-13 August 2008.
- Koryak O, de Castro J & Nuñez L (2007) Risk taking by venture capital firms: a behavioral perspective. In: Academy of Entrepreneurial Finance conference 2007, Austin, TX, 25 April 2007.
- Koryak O & Nuñez L (2006) Risk taking by venture capital firms: a behavioral perspective. In: 19th Australasian finance and banking conference, Sydney, 13 December 2006.
- Koryak O & Smolarski J (2006) Perception of risk by venture capital and private equity firms: a European perspective. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2006**, Atlanta, GA, 11-16 August 2006.