Contact Dr Monica Franco-Santos
Prior to joining Cranfield, Monica worked for a leading global management consultancy. As a senior consultant she worked with numerous companies from a variety of industries and sectors. Her expertise was in the design and implementation of executive compensation systems and other Human Resources initiatives.
Her educational background includes a PhD in Management from Cranfield School of Management; postgraduate studies on Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management from the University of Barcelona (Spain) and a BSc in Economics and Business Administration from the University Autonoma of Madrid (Spain).
Monica's research broadly focuses on organizational governance systems. In particular, her work examines the design, implementation, and use of performance measures, targets and rewards as well as the impact that these mechanisms have on behaviour and decision-making.
Her research is widely recognised (for further information visit her publications page) and has been founded by organisations such as the EPSRC, CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants), IIP (Investors in People, UK) or the Leadership Foundation.
She is part of the teaching faculty of Cranfield's MBAs, MScs, PhD, DBA and various executive education programmes. She is a visiting professor in ESADE (Barcelona, Spain) and an occasional lecturer in a number of European academic institutions.
Articles In Journals
- Franco-Santos M & Otley D (2018) Reviewing and theorizing the unintended consequences of performance management systems, International Journal of Management Reviews, 20 (3) 696-730.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M, Micheli P & Pavlov A (2018) Performance measurement and management: A system of systems perspective, International Journal of Production Research, 56 (8) 2788-2799.
- Franco-Santos M, Nalick M, Rivera P & Gomez-Mejia L (2017) Governance and well-being in academia: The negative consequences of applying an agency theory logic in higher education, British Journal of Management, 28 (4) 711-730.
- Franco-Santos & Doherty N (2017) Performance management and well-being: a close look at the changing nature of the UK higher education workplace, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28 (16) 2319-2350.
- Pavlov A, Mura M, Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2017) Modelling the impact of performance management practices on firm performance: Interaction with human resource management practices, Production Planning and Control, 28 (5) 431-443.
- Bourne M, Pavlov A, Franco-Santos M, Lucianetti L & Mura M (2013) Generating organisational performance: The contributing effects of performance measurement and human resource management practices, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 33 (11/12) 1599-1622.
- Franco-Santos M, Lucianetti L & Bourne M (2012) Contemporary performance measurement systems: A review of their consequences and a framework for research, Management Accounting Research, 23 (2) 79-119.
- Boyd M, Franco-Santos M & Shen W (2012) International developments in executive compensation, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20 (6) 511-518.
- Franco-Santos M, Kennerley M, Micheli P, Martinez V, Mason S, Marr B, Gray D & Neely A (2007) Towards a definition of a business performance measurement system, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 27 (8) 784-801.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M, Kennerley M & Martinez V (2005) Reflections on the role, use and benefits of corporate performance measurement in the UK, Measuring Business Excellence, 9 (3) 36-41.
- Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2005) An examination of the literature relating to issues affecting how companies manage through measures, Production Planning and Control, 16 (2) 114-124.
- Bourne M, Kennerley M & Franco-Santos M (2005) Managing through measures: a study of impact on performance, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 16 (4) 373-395.
- Franco-Santos M, Bourne M & Huntington R (2004) Executive pay and performance measurement practices in the UK, Measuring Business Excellence, 8 (3) 5-11.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M & Wilkes J (2003) Corporate Performance Management, Measuring Business Excellence, 7 (3) 15-21.
- Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2003) Factors that play a role in "managing through measures", Management Decision, 41 (8) 698-710.
- Khamidullina G & Franco-Santos M (2017) How do ESG professionals at UK asset management companies engage in different types of institutional work?. In: 33rd EGOS Colloquium 2017, Copenhagen, 6-8 July 2017.
- Franco-Santos M, Otley D & Rivera P (2017) Performance management practices in Higher Education: A choice or a consequence of their past. In: Management Control Association, Groningen, 8-9 June 2017.
- Bender R & Franco-Santos M (2017) Unlocking the black box of executive compensation: An investigation of the mental models influencing compensation consultants' advice. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2017, Warwick, 5-8 September 2017.
- MacBryde J & Franco-Santos M (2016) Designing better performance measurement systems in universities using the business model canvas. In: 5th World Conference on Production and Operations Management (P&OM), Havana, 6 September 2016.
- Franco-Santos M, Battista V & Lucianetti L (2015) Managing the unmanageable: A closer look at the relationship between control systems and the performance of universities. In: European Accounting Association, Glasgow, 28 April 2015.
- Franco-Santos M, Nalick M & Rivera P (2015) Applying Stewardship and Agency Theories to Governance Structures inside Organizations. In: Academy of Management Annual Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, 7 August 2015.
- Franco-Santos M, Battista V & Lucianetti L (2015) Managing the unmanageable: A closer look at the relationship between control systems and the performance of universities. In: European Accounting Association, Glasgow, 28-30 April 2015.
- Franco-Santos M, Nalick M, Rivera P & Gomez-Mejia L (2014) The Reconciliation of agency and stewardship theories: Why neither theory alone can satisfy the expectations of internal stakeholders. In: Strategic Management Society, Madrid, 19 September 2014.
- Franco-Santos M (2013) Performance management in English higher education institutions. In: EIASM 7th Conference on Performance Measurement and Management Control, Barcelona, 18 September 2013.
- Bourne M, Gray D, Mura M, Pavlov A, Franco-Santos M & Lucianetti L (2012) The Effect of Performance Measurement on Performance: Does Human Resource Management Have Anything to Contribute?. In: PMA Performance Management Association 2012 Conference, Cambridge, 11-13 July 2012.
- Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Franco-Santos M (2012) The impact of sales performance goals on behaviors: Enhancing or compromising sustainable performance?. In: Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference, New Orleans, 16 May 2012.
- Franco-Santos M (2011) Multi-criteria performance measurement, executive compensation and firm performance: The moderating role of organizational culture. In: EIASM - 6th Conference on Performance Measurement and Management Control, Nice, 7 September 2011.
- Franco-Santos M, Khilji S & Bourne M (2011) Understanding the performance impact of Investors in People: a social exchange approach. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference 2011, Birmingham, 13-15 September 2011.
- Bourne M, Mura M, Franco-Santos M, Pavlov A, Martinez V & Lucianetti L (2009) Performance Management Practices and the Drivers of Business Performance. In: PMA 2009 Performance Management Association Conference, Dunedin, 14-17 April 2009.
- Franco-Santos M (2009) Diverse measurement, compensation and firm performance: The moderator role of organizational culture. In: EIASM Conference on Reward Management, Brussels.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M, Pavlov A, Martinez V & Lucianetti L (2008) Performance management practices and their impact on organisational performance: implications for HR and performance measurement research. In: EurOMA 15th Annual Conference, Groningen, 15-18 June 2008.
- Franco-Santos M (2007) The performance impact of using measurement diversity in executives incentives. In: EIASM Conference on Reward Management, Brussels.
- Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Franco-Santos M (2006) How Can We Make Iberoamerican Research More Relevant to Practice and Policy Makers?. In: Iberoamerican Academy of Management - Professional Development Workshop (Academy of Management Annual Meeting), Atlanta, 11 August 2006.
- Franco-Santos M, Bourne M & Huntington R (2005) The relationship between strategic performance measurement systems and executive compensation systems: A UK based study. In: PMA 2004 Conference, Edinburgh.
- Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2004) Are strategic performance measurement systems really effective?. In: EurOMA 11th annual conference, Fontainebleau.
- Marr B, Neely A, Bourne M, Kennerley M, Franco-Santos M, Wilcox M, Adams C & Mason S (2004) Business performance measurement - what is the state of use in large US firms?. In: PMA 2004 Conference, Edinburgh.
- Micheli P, Franco-Santos M, Marr B & Bourne M (2004) Business performance measurement - an organisational theory perspective. In: PMA 2004 Conference, Edinburgh.
- Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2003) The link between strategic performance measurement systems and reward systems: a review of theory and practice. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Harrogate.
- Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2003) Business performance measurement systems: a systematic review. In: POMS/EurOMA Conference, Lake Como.
- Bourne M, Kennerley M & Franco-Santos M (2003) Managing through measures: a study of the impact of performance measurement on performance. In: POMS/EurOMA Conference, Lake Como.
- Bender R & Franco-Santos M. (2017) Executive remuneration: Factors influencing consultants’ advice. London: ICAEW.
- Brennan J, Naidoo R & Franco M (2017) From Academic Profession to Higher Education Workforce: Academic Careers in the UK. In: Challenges and Options: The Academic Profession in Europe. Machado-Taylor, Maria, Soares, Virgilio Meira, Teichler, Ulrich (ed.), Springer, p. 231-252.
- Franco-Santos M, Larraza-Quintana M & Bourne M (2015) People management standard, managerial capabilities and performance. In: New Clues for Analysing the HRM Black Box. Valle-Cabrera, R. and Lopez-Cabrales, A. (ed.), Cambridge Scholars Publishing, p. 65-96.
- Gomez-Mejia L & Franco-Santos M (2015) Team-based incentives: Creating a culture of collaboration, innovation and performance. In: The Compensation Handbook. Berger, L. and Berger, D. (ed.), p. 199-209, ed. 6.
- Franco-Santos M & Gomez-Mejia M (2014) Reward systems. In: Wiley Encyclopedia of Management. Cooper C (ed.), London: John Wiley & Sons, ed. 3rd.
- Lucianetti L & Franco-Santos M (2013) Human Resource Performance Management in Italian Universities. In: Public Sector Management in Italy. Sargiacomo M et al (ed.), UK: McGraw Hill Education, p. 243-274.
- Gomez-Mejia L, Berrone P & Franco-Santos M (2010) Compensation and organizational performance: Theory, research and practice. New York: M.E. Sharpe.
- Franco-Santos M (2008) Performance Measurement Issues and Incentive Application. In: Global Compensation. Gomez-Mejia, L. and Werner, S (ed.), New York: Routledge, p. 41-53.
- Franco-Santos M (2007) Performance measurement issues, incentive application and globalization. In: Global Compensation, London: Routledge.
- Franco-Santos M & Bourne M (2004) The linkage between performance measurement systems and reward practices. In: The Handbook of Performance Measurement, London: Gee Publishing, p. 769-793.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M & Wilkes J (2004) The impact of performance measurement on performance. In: The Handbook of Performance Measurement, London: Gee Publishing, p. 29-50.
- Franco-Santos M (2001) Rewarding hot skills. In: Cinco Dias Special Edition.