Marwa is Associate professor of Marketing and Brand Management at the School of Management. Before joining Cranfield, she was Senior Lecturer at Exeter University Business School, UK. Her research focuses on corporate identity, communications and reputation management. Dr Tourky holds a PhD from Hull University Business School, where she also earned her Masters degree.
Her main research focus is on corporate marketing particularly corporate brand, identity and reputation management. She also works on integrated marketing communications (IMC) and CSR. In addition, her research examines the links between western and eastern social relationship networks, including guanxi, and wasta. Her research has appeared in European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Corporate Reputation Review, and Qualitative Market Research: an International Journal.
Marwa is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. She is a passionate teacher and keen to promote academic rigour, practical application as well as a high level of student engagement in the classroom. Her teaching centres around marketing communications.
She is always looking for enthusiastic and experienced people from the private, public and not-or-profit sectors to share their insights and expertise in lectures and seminars. She is also keen to connect alumni with current students to share experiences and knowledge about their career choices in marketing communications, advertising and branding. Please contact Marwa directly if you are interested in engaging.
Nationality: British Egyptian
- Programme Director, MSc Strategic Marketing
BSc (Hons), MRes (Distinction), PhD, PgCert, FHEA
- Corporate Brand, Identity and Reputation Management
- Corporate and Marketing Communications
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Networks
- Relationship Marketing
Marwa is currently working on a broad range of projects with collaborators from both the UK and worldwide. Marwa’s research focuses on four areas. First, on exploring the meaning and dimensions of corporate identity, in different contexts, and creating a toolkit for corporate identity management. Second, on examining the influence of various organisational factors (including core values and culture) and business dynamics on reputation building. Third, on the influence of integrated marketing communication (IMC) on brand performance. Fourth, on the role of social networks in attracting and maintain new customers.
- Mengqi Zhong who is exploring corporate reputation management in social enterprises.
- Mohamed Adel who is investigating the relationship between brand experience and corporate reputation in hotel industry.
Dr Tourky would be interested in supervising doctoral research following a positivist or pragmatic approach in studying the dynamics of identity, reputation and communications fields from both corporate and consumer perspectives.
Marwa is currently working on a number of externally and internally funded research projects. Marwa is Principal Investigator (PI) on ESRC funded project “Exploring the determinants of an effective implementation of Surfwell and measuring its impact on employees’ wellbeing ”. In collaboration with Devon and Cornwall police (DCP), this project explores the effectiveness of surfing intervention for improving mental health and wellbeing in the workplace. This high-profile project seeks to equipping DCP managers with a tool (framework) of determinants and best-practice dimensions for the successful implementation of Surfwell programme.
Marwa is Co-I on HEFCE funded project “Leadership Development for Public Service Mutual Libraries”, researching how libraries can maximise their social and economic value for a broad group of stakeholders including Libraries Unlimited, Explore York Libraries & Archives Mutual Limited, Suffolk Libraries IPS and California State Library. This high-profile project seeks to help libraries develop and capture their impact on local communities, and connect this social value to financial value using alternative forms of organizing independent from the public.
Marwa is also Co-I on Transforming Transitions research project, which examines and challenges potential barriers experienced by students with BTEC qualifications as they apply for, and then enter, higher education. "Transforming Transitions” led by Professor Debra Myhill, received £500,000 funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).External positions
- External Examiner for BSc Business and Management, Brunel University London.
- External Examiner for BA Business and Marketing and BA Advertising and Marketing, Coventry University.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Previous Vice-Chair of South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries Board of Trustees.
- Member of the American Academy of Advertising
- Member of the Academy of Marketing (AM)
- Member of Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- Member of the British Academy of Management (BAM)
- Co-Chair of the 23rd International Conference in Corporate and Marketing Communications (CMC)
- Special Issue Guest Editor, Journal of Marketing Communications
Articles In Journals
- Cheng B, Peng Y, Zhou X, Shaalan A, Tourky M & Dong Y (2022) Negative workplace gossip and targets’ subjective well-being: a moderated mediation model, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Available online 25 January 2022.
- Shaalan A, Agag G & Tourky M (2022) Harnessing customer mindset metrics to boost consumer spending: a cross-country study on routes to economic and business growth, British Journal of Management, Available online 8 February 2022.
- Cheng B, Peng Y, Shaalan A & Tourky M (2022) The hidden costs of negative workplace gossip: Its effect on targets’ behaviors, the mediating role of guanxi closeness, and the moderating effect of need for affiliation, Journal of Business Ethics, Available online 6 January 2022.
- Shaalan A, Hegazy A, Tourky M, Elshaer, I, Ashour & H. (2022) Understanding consumer-based brand equity and its antecedents in international and national banks in Egypt, Journal of Marketing Communications, 28 (1) 38-72.
- Shaalan A, Eid R & Tourky M (2021) De-linking from western epistemologies: Using Guanxi-Type relationships to attract and retain hotel guests in the Middle East, Management and Organization Review , published online 15 July 2021.
- Harvey WS, Osman S & Tourky ME (2021) Building Internal Reputation from Organisational Values, Corporate Reputation Review, Available online 4 February 2021 (1).
- Tourky M, Syed Alwi SF, Kitchen P, Melewar TC & Shaalan A (2020) New conceptualization and measurement of corporate identity: evidence from UK food and beverage industry, Journal of Business Research, 109 (March) 595-606.
- Tourky M, Foroudi P, Gupta S & Shaalan A (2020) Conceptualizing corporate identity in a dynamic environment, Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 24 (2) 113-142.
- Shaalan A, Tourky M, Barnes B, Jayawardhena C & Elshaer I (2020) Arab Networking and Relationship Marketing: Is there a need for both?, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Available online 7 December 2020.
- Porcu L, Del Barrio S, Kitchen P & Tourky M (2020) The antecedent role of a collaborative vs. a controlling corporate culture on firm-wide integrated marketing communication and brand performance., Journal of Business Research, 119 (October) 435-443.
- Tourky ME, Kitchen P & Shaalan A (2020) The role of corporate identity in CSR implementation: an integrative framework, Journal of Business Research, 117 (September) 694-706.
- Harvey WS, Tourky M, Knight ERW & Kitchen PJ (2017) Lens or Prism? How Organisations Sustain Multiple and Competing Reputations., European Journal of Marketing, 51 (4) 821-844.
- Kitchen PJ, Tourky ME, Dean D & Shaalan AS (2013) Corporate Identity Antecedents and Components: Toward a Theoretical Framework., Corporate Reputation Review, 16 263-284.
- Shaalan A, Reast J, Johnson D & Tourky M (2013) East meets West: Toward a theoretical model linking guanxi and relationship marketing, Journal of Business Research, 66 (12) 2515-2521.
- Shaalan A, Tourky ME & Ibrahim K (2022) Chapter 21: The chatbot revolution: Companies and consumers in a new digital age. In: SAGE handbook of digital marketing, SAGE Publications Ltd, p. 369-392.
- Kitchen PJ & Tourky ME (2022) Integrated marketing communications: A global brand-driven approach. London: Palgrave Macmillan, ed. 2nd.
- Tourky, M, Foroudi P & Al-Zadjali F. (2021) Building and Sustaining Personal Brand: Examining the Effectiveness of Personal Branding in the Context of Education. In: Building Corporate Identity, Image and Reputation in the Digital Era, Routledge.
- Kitchen PJ & Tourky ME (2015) Integrated Marketing Communications: a Contextual Approach. In: Integrated Communications in the Postmodern Era, London: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 19-48.
- Kitchen PJ & Tourky ME (2012) The Importance and Relevance of Integrated Marketing Communications: A Global Perspective. In: Handbook of Research on International Advertising, ElgarOnline.