Contact Dr David Baxter
- Email: David.Baxter@cranfield.ac.uk
BSc (Hons) Industrial Management
M(Res) Management and Information Systems
PhD: "A process-based approach to engineering design knowledge reuse"
David is an Associate Professor of Innovation at Southampton Business School, and a visiting fellow at Cranfield School of Management. His current research addresses the innovation process, including knowledge management for innovation, the use of agile processes, and customer insight methods. In addition to teaching on MBA, Doctoral and Masters level courses he has presented to audiences at international conferences, to company management teams, and to senior government personnel. He has published more than 45 academic papers including journal articles, conference papers and journal editorials. Previous clients include Rolls-Royce, Edwards, Steria, MBDA and Fiberweb.
Articles In Journals
- Baxter D, Colledge T & Turner N (2017) A study of accountability in two organizational learning frameworks: why accountability for learning is critical, European Management Review, 14 (3) 319-332.
- Baxter D, Goffin K & Szwejczewski M (2014) The Repertory Grid Technique as a Customer Insight Method, Research-Technology Management, 57 (4) 35-42.
- Baxter D, Goffin K & Szwejczewski M (2013) Factors Supporting Knowledge Integration in Global Innovation Projects: An Exploratory Study, Creativity and Innovation Management, 22 (4) 408-419.
- Schoeman M, Baxter D, Goffin K & Micheli P (2012) Commercialization partnerships as an enabler of UK public sector innovation: the perfect match?, Public Money and Management, 32 (6) 425-432.
- Micheli P, Schoeman M, Baxter D & Goffin K (2012) New Business Models for Public Sector Innovation: Successful Technological Innovation for Government, Research-Technology Management, 55 (5) 51-57.
- Goffin K, Baxter D & Schoeman M (2011) Collaborate to innovate, Management Focus (30) 24-25.
- Goffin K, Koners U, Baxter D & van der Hoven C (2010) Managing Lessons Learned and Tacit Knowledge in New Product Development, Research Technology Management, 53 (4) 39-51.
- Doultsinou A, Roy R, Baxter D, Gao J & Mann A (2009) Developing a Service Knowledge Reuse Framework for Engineering Design, Journal of Engineering Design, 20 (4) 389-411.
- Baxter D, Roy R & Gao J (2009) Managing knowledge within the manufacturing enterprise: An overview, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, 18 (2) 183-209.
- Baxter D, Roy R, Doultsinou A, Gao J & Kalta M (2009) A knowledge management framework to support product-service systems design, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 22 (12) 1073-1088.
- Cochrane S, Young R, Case K, Harding J, Gao J, Dani S & Baxter D (2009) Manufacturing knowledge verification in design support systems, International Journal of Production Research, 47 (12) 3179-3204.
- Baxter D, Gao J, Case K, Harding J, Young R, Cochrane S & Dani S (2008) A framework to integrate design knowledge reuse and requirements management in engineering design, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 24 (4) 585-593.
- Cocrane S, Young RIM, Case K, Harding J, Gao X, Dani S & Baxter D (2008) Knowledge re-use in manufacturability analysis, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 24 (4) 508-513.
- Baxter D, Gao X & Roy R (2008) Design process knowledge reuse challenges and issues, Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 5 (6) 942-952.
- Baxter David, Gao James X, Case Keith, Harding Jenny, Young Bob, Cochrane Sean & Dani Shilpa (2007) An engineering design knowledge reuse methodology using process modelling., Research in Engineering Design, 18 (1) 37-48.
- Dani S, Harding JA, Case K, Young RI, Gao J, Cochrane SD & Baxter D (2006) A Methodology for Best Practice Knowledge Management, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 220 (10) 1719-1730.
- Baxter D & Gao X (2006) Development of a Process Based Data Driven Engineering Design Knowledge Reuse System, Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 3 (1-4) 109-117.
- Baxter D, Goffin K, Szwejczewski M & van der Hoven C (2011) Does prior experience change the learning effect in a new product development simulation?. In: 18th International Product Development Management Conference, Delft, Netherlands, 5-7 June 2011.
- Baxter D, Goffin K & Szwejczewski M (2011) Knowledge Integration in R&D teams: An in-depth study of individual perspectives. In: 18th International Product Development Management Conference, Delft, Netherlands, 6-7 June 2011.
- Szwejczewski M, Goffin K & and Baxter D (2011) Identifying Customers' Hidden Needs: An Exploratory Study. In: 18th International Product Development Conference, Delft, 5-7 June 2011.
- Baxter D, Goffin K & Szwejczewski M (2010) Evaluation of an approach to uncover tacit innovation knowledge using the repertory grid technique. In: 17th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Porto, 6-9 June 2010.
- Goffin K, Baxter D, Szwejczewski M, Cousens A & van der Hoven C (2010) Tacit knowledge development in a new product development teaching simulation. In: 17th International Product Development Management Conference, Murcia, Spain, 13-15 June 2010.
- Baxter D, Goffin K, Szwejczewski M & Koners U (2010) Tacit knowledge and situated practice in NPD: an in-depth case study. In: 17th International Product Development Management Conference, Murcia, Spain, 13-15 June 2010.
- Doultsinou A, Baxter D, Roy R, Gao J & Mann A (2009) Service and manufacturing knowledge in product-service systems: a case study. In: CIRP IPS2 Conference 2009, 1 April 2009.
- Baxter D, El-Enany N, Varia K, Ferris I & Shipway B (2009) Investigating innovation practices in design: creative problem solving and knowledge management. In: 19th CIRP design conference: competitive design, Cranfield, 30 March 2009.
- Gomez M, Baxter D, Roy R & Kalta M (2009) Through-life integration using PLM. In: 19th CIRP design conference: competitive design, Cranfield, 30 March 2009.
- Baxter D, Doultsinou A, Roy R & Gao X (2008) A life cycle model for Product-Service Systems design. In: 5th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology: DET2008, Nantes, France, 22-24 October 2008.
- Doultsinou A, Roy R, Baxter D & Gao J (2008) Key service issues in two UK manufacturing companies from a pss perspective. In: Cranfield Multi Strand Conference, Cranfield University, UK.
- Baxter D, Roy R & Gao X (2007) Specifying a manufacturing knowledge reuse framework. In: 4th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology (DET2007), Bath, 17-19 September 2007.
- Doultsinou N, Roy R, Baxter D & Gao X (2007) Identification of Service Knowledge Types for Technical Product-Service Systems. In: DET2007, Bath University, Bath, UK, 17 September 2007.
- Zhang P, Baxter D, Gao X & Kalta M (2007) Developing A Design Process Model for The Reuse of Knowledge. In: DET2007, Bath University, Bath, UK, 17 September 2007.
- Gao J, Baxter D, Mountney S, Bradfield D & Sackett P (2005) Knowledge Management for New Product Development. In: 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 6 September 2005.
- Baxter D & Gao J (2005) Process based design knowledge reuse through process and product representation. In: CIRP Life Cycle Engineering Seminar, Grenoble, France, 3 April 2005.
- Baxter D & Gao J (2005) Formalising Customer Requirements as an Input to a Design Knowledge Reuse System. In: 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Cranfield University, UK, 6 September 2005.
- Baxter D & Gao J (2004) Process based representation for design knowledge. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Manufacturing Research, ICMR-2004, Sheffield, UK, 7 September 2004.
- Gao X, Sackett P & Baxter D (2005) Advances in Manufacturing Technology and Management - Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing Research.