Prior to starting an academic career Clive worked in both the manufacturing and software development industries. He then worked as an academic at De Montfort University and The Open University before joining Cranfield.
Clive has an MSc in Information Systems and his PhD is in user-led innovation. The current focus of his research is the innovation of technologies in the healthcare sector. Most recently this research has looked at technological innovation and adoption in the NHS and he was the Principal Investigator for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) funded project on “ NHS Adoption of NHS-developed Innovations”. This project looked specifically at how well technological innovations developed within the NHS were adopted by the wider NHS. Clive’s research continues to look at topics within the area of healthcare technology innovation including: innovation systems in the health technology sector; user-led innovation; open innovation; inward and outward technology transfer in the NHS; health technology assessment; and technology adoption.
Clive’s teaching is in the area of innovation management and draw on academic fields including: organisational learning and knowledge management; socio-technical theory; technology strategy; and organisation studies. He has a broad experience of teaching postgraduate modules in technology management, technology strategy and technology innovation. He supervises PhD students researching various aspects of technology innovation.
Clive is an active researcher in the area of health technology innovation and has published widely on a range of technology innovation topics.
Articles In Journals
- Savory C & Fortune J (2015) From translational research to open technology innovation systems, Journal of Health Organization and Management, 29 (2) 200-220.
- Savory C & Fortune J (2014) An emergent sectoral innovation system for healthcare services, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 27 (6) 512-529.
- Savory C. (2012) Translating knowledge to build technological competence, Management Decision, 44 (8) 1052-1075.
- Storey J, Fortune J, Johnson M & Savory C (2011) The adoption and rejection patterns of practitioner-developed technologies: A review, a model and a research agenda, International Journal of Innovation Management, 15 (5) 1043-1067.
- Savory C. (2010) Patient and public involvement in translative healthcare research, Clinical Governance, 15 (3) 191-199.
- Savory C. (2009) Building knowledge translation capability into public-sector innovation processes, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 21 (2) 149-171.
- Savory C (2006) Does the UTTO model of technology transfer fit public sector healthcare services?, International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 3 (2) 171-187.
- Savory C & Szwejczewski M (2016) Managing an innovation portfolio in a Sectoral Innovation Network. In: 23rd Innovation and Product Development Management Conference, 2016, Glasgow, Scotland, 12-14 June 2016.