Contact Dr Banu Yetkin Ekren
Banu Yetkin Ekren is a Senior Lecturer of Logistics and Supply Chain Management. Previously, Dr Ekren worked as Associate Professor at Yasar University, Izmir, Turkey. She completed her PhD at Unversity of Louisville, KY, USA, in the Department of Industrial Engineering. She was the recipient of the best PhD dissertation award when she graduated in 2009. Her dissertation focused on design and analysis of automated warehouses by using analytical and simulation modelling.
Dr Ekren also completed a one-year postdoctoral research in the period of 2011-2012 for a funded contract project with the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), PA, USA. She developed simulation models for the DLA's largest warehouse to improve its operating performance.
Dr Ekren's expertise ranges widely from simulation modelling, agent-based modelling, inventory optimization, design and analysis of supply chains, automated warehousing to stochastic modelling. Dr Ekren has published several articles in many reputed international journals and conference proceedings. She has led international funded research projects focusing on design and analysis of smart supply chains as well as automated warehousing subjects. She has been acting as a regular reviewer as well as guest editor for some reputed international journals.
Articles In Journals
- Shah B, Kumar V, Yetkin Ekren B & Frederico GF (2023) Guest editorial: Modelling the business and societal decisions under the impact of COVID-19, Journal of Modelling in Management, 18 (4) 1017-1021.
- Amin-Tahmasbi H, Sadafi S, Ekren BY & Kumar V (2023) A multi-objective integrated optimisation model for facility location and order allocation problem in a two-level supply chain network, Annals of Operations Research, 324 (1-2) 993-1022.
- Kumar V, Yetkin Ekren B, Wang J, Shah B & Frederico GF (2023) Investigating the impact of COVID-19 on sustainable food supply chains, Journal of Modelling in Management, 18 (4) 1250-1273.
- Ada E, Kazancoglu Y, Lafcı C, Ekren BY & Çimitay Çelik C (2023) Identifying the drivers of circular food packaging: a comprehensive review for the current state of the food supply chain to be sustainable and circular, Sustainability, 15 (15) Article No. 11703.
- Ekren BY, Lerher T, Küçükyaşar M & Jerman B (2023) A cost and performance comparison of tier-captive SBS/RS with a novel AVS/RS/ML, International Journal of Production Research, Available online 18 April 2023.
- Al-Abdelmalek N, Kucukvar M, Onat NC, Fares E, Ayad H, Bulak ME, Ekren BY, Kazancoglu Y & Ertogral K (2023) Transforming challenges into opportunities for Qatar’s food industry: self-sufficiency, sustainability, and global food trade diversification, Sustainability, 15 (7) Article No. 5755.
- Joshi S, Sharma M, Ekren BY, Kazancoğlu Y, Luthra S & Prasad M (2023) Assessing supply chain innovations for building resilient food supply chains: an emerging economy perspective, Sustainability, 15 (6) Article No. 4924.
- Ekren BY, Kaya B & Küçükyaşar M (2023) Shuttle-based storage and retrieval systems designs from multi-objective perspectives: total investment cost, throughput rate and sustainability, Sustainability, 15 (1) Article No. 762.
- Ekren BY, Stylos N, Zwiegelaar J, Eroglu Turhanlar E & Kumar V (2023) Additive manufacturing integration in e-commerce supply chain network to improve resilience and competitiveness, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 122 (January) Article No. 102676.
- Ekren BY & Arslan B (2022) A reinforcement learning approach for transaction scheduling in a shuttle-based storage and retrieval system, International Transactions in Operational Research, Available online 29 March 2022.
- Arslan B & Yetkin Ekren B (2022) Transaction selection policy in tier-to-tier SBSRS by using deep q-learning, International Journal of Production Research, 61 (21) 7353-7366.
- Kumar Srivastava D, Kumar V, Yetkin Ekren B, Upadhyay A, Tyagi M & Kumari A (2022) Adopting industry 4.0 by leveraging organisational factors, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 176 (March) Article No. 121439.
- Ekren BY, Chattopadhyay R & Kumar V (2022) Multi-objective inventory optimization problem for a sustainable food supply network under lateral inventory share policy, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 55 (10) 1822-1827.
- Eroglu Turhanlar E, Ekren BY & Lerher T (2022) Autonomous mobile robot travel under deadlock and collision prevention algorithms by agent-based modelling in warehouses, International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, Available online 31 October 2022.
- Kazancoglu Y, Ozbiltekin-Pala M, Deniz Sezer M, Y. Ekren B & Kumar V (2022) Assessing the impact of COVID-19 on sustainable food supply chains, Sustainability, 14 (1) Article No. 143.
- Ekren B, Mangla SK, Turhanlar EE, Kazancoglu Y & Li G (2021) Lateral inventory share-based models for IoT-enabled E-commerce sustainable food supply networks, Computers and Operations Research, 130 Article No. 105237.
- Jerman B, Ekren BY, Küçükyaşar M & Lerher T (2021) Simulation-based performance analysis for a novel AVS/RS technology with movable lifts, Applied Sciences, 11 (5).
- Izmirli D, Ekren BY, Kumar V & Pongsakornrungsilp S (2021) Omni-channel network design towards circular economy under inventory share policies, Sustainability, 13 (5) Article No. 2875.
- Izmirli D, Ekren BY & Kumar V (2021) Inventory share policy designs for a sustainable omni-channel e-commerce network, Sustainability, 12 (23) Article No. 10022.
- Ekren BY & Akpunar A (2021) An open queuing network-based tool for performance estimations in a shuttle-based storage and retrieval system, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 89 (2) 1678-1695.
- Küçükyaşar M, Ekren BY & Lerher T (2021) Cost and performance comparison for tier-captive and tier-to-tier SBS/RS warehouse configurations, International Transactions in Operational Research, 28 (4) 1847-1863.
- Ekren BY (2020) A Multi-Objective Optimisation Study for the Design of an AVS/RS Warehouse, International Journal of Production Research, 59 (4) 1107-1126.
- Ekren BY (2020) A simulation-based experimental design for SBS/RS warehouse design by considering energy related performance metrics, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 98 Article No. 101991.
- Ekren BY, Akpunar A, Sari Z & Lerher T (2018) A Tool for Time, Variance and Energy Related Performance Estimations in a Shuttle-Based Storage and Retrieval System, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 63 109-127.
- Lerher T, Ekren BY, Sari Z & Rosi B (2016) Method for Evaluating the Throughput Performance of Shuttle Based Storage and Retrieval Systems, Tehnicki Vjesnik/Technical Gazette, 23 (3) 715-723.
- Lerher T, Ekren BY, Dukic G & Rosi B (2015) Travel Time Model for Shuttle-Based Storage and Retrieval Systems, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 78 (9-12) 1705-1725.
- Lerher T, Ekren BY, Sari K & Rosi B (2015) Simulation Analysis of Shuttle-Based Storage and Retrieval Systems, International Journal of Simulation Modelling, 14 (1) 48-59.
- Ekren BY, Heragu SS, Krishnamurthy A & Malmborg CJ (2014) Matrix-Geometric Solution for Semi-Open Queuing Network Model of Autonomous Vehicle Storage and Retrieval System, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 68 78-86.
- Ekren BY, Heragu SS, Krishnamurthy A & Malmborg CJ (2013) An Approximate Solution for Semi-Open Queuing Network Model of Autonomous Vehicle Storage and Retrieval System, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 10 (1) 205-215.
- Ekren BY & Heragu SS (2011) Performance Comparison of Two Material Handling Systems: AVS/RS and AS/RS, International Journal of Production Research, 50 (15) 4061-4074.
- Li W, Ekren BY & Aktas E (2023) Additive manufacturing in pharmaceutical supply chain. In: 27th Annual Conference of the Logistics Research Network (LRN) 2023, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, 6-8 September 2023.
- Alessandro V, Mirko T, Sara P, Ekren BY & Reefke H (2023) Micro-fulfilment centres in E-grocery deliveries. In: Global Joint Conference on Industrial Engineering and Its Application Areas: Industrial Engineering in the Covid-19 Era, 2022, Istanbul, 29-30 October 2022.
- Kulac O, Ekren BY & Toy AO (2023) Digital twins for decision making in supply chains. In: Global Joint Conference on Industrial Engineering and Its Application Areas: Industrial Engineering in the Covid-19 Era, 2022, Istanbul, 29-30 October 2022.
- Foresti L, Perotti S, Ekren BY & Prataviera LB (2023) E-grocery challenges and a solution approach from multi-objective perspectives. In: Global Joint Conference on Industrial Engineering and Its Application Areas: Industrial Engineering in the Covid-19 Era, 2022, Istanbul, 29-30 October 2022.
- Kulaç O, Ekren BY & Toy AO (2022) Intelligent supply chains through implementation of digital twins. In: Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems: Digital Acceleration and The New Normal - Proceedings of the INFUS 2022 Conference, Volume 504, Springer, p. 957-964.
- Ekren BY & Kumar V (2022) An overview for food loss and waste reduction in food supply chains. In: Agri-Food 4.0: Innovations, Challenges and Strategies, Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Canbaz CH, Ekren O, Ekren BY & Kumar V (2022) Evaluation of fuel production technologies by using renewable energy for smart cities. In: Smart cities policies and financing: Approaches and solutions, Elsevier, p. 457-470.