Contact Professor Kim Turnbull James
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x3215
- Email: email@example.com
Kim is a Chartered Psychologist, with a BSc(Hons) in Psychology from University College, London and a PhD from the University of Aston, Birmingham. She is a member of the Higher Education Academy. Kim's career began with Dunlop, who also sponsored her PhD research. Kim has worked with a wide range of organizations, including major corporates in the automotive, aerospace, pharmaceutical, insurance, telecoms and banking industries as well as public service organizations, such as police, local authorities and the health service and major consultancies.
Kim has published widely on leadership and
executive development and is on the editorial board of Management Learning, an
international journal in this field. Kim has directed many open and
customized programmes at Cranfield. Her current interest is in how
leadership practices can create the conditions for cultural change required to
deal with the complex challenges organisations face today. Her work has
led to innovative Executive Leadership Development designs focused on
understanding the systemic and 'non rational' aspects of organizations and the
importance of collaborative group learning. Kim has also worked for many
years in women’s leadership development, working with clients to develop
inclusive talent management processes that will enable organisations to utilise
talented resources more effectively and see greater female representation in
Kim’s recent clients include HSBC, FCA, Telecom
Malaysia, and the Cabinet Office. Kim teaches internationally and her
work includes top team development, executive coaching as well as tailored
and open leadership development programmes.
Articles In Journals
- Turnbull James K, Vinnicombe S & Harris H (2018) Moving on up-a gender perspective on practical inclusive talent management for senior roles, Developing Leaders (August).
- Turnbull-James K, Vinnicombe S & Harris H. (2018) Moving on Up, Developing Leaders, August 2018.
- Denyer D & Turnbull James K (2017) Helping leaders do leadership in an uncertain world, Developing Leaders (26, Spring 2017) 28-34.
- Wang L, Turnbull James K, Denyer D & Bailey C (2014) Western views and Chinese whispers: Re-thinking global leadership competency in multi-national corporations, Leadership, 10 (4) 471-495.
- Drake J & Turnbull James K (2013) Developing a new breed of leaders, Management Focus, 35 (Autumn) 16-19.
- Turnbull James K, Temperley A & Miller S (2012) Coaching below the surface: enhancing organisational leadership, Coaching Today (2) 8-12.
- Turnbull James K (2012) Coaching below the surface, Management Focus (32) 10-11.
- Probert J & Turnbull James K (2011) Leadership development: Crisis, opportunities and the leadership concept, Leadership, 7 (2) 137-150.
- Fitzsimons D, Turnbull James K & Denyer D (2011) Alternative approaches for studying shared and distributed leadership, International Journal of Management Reviews, 13 (3) 313-328.
- Turnbull James K (2010) CEO: Hero or Villain?, Management Focus (29) 20-21.
- Turnbull James K & Denyer D (2009) Historical roots and future directions: new challenges for Management Learning, Management Learning, 40 (4) 363-370.
- Turnbull James K, Mann J & Creasy J (2007) Leaders as lead learners; a case example of facilitating collaborative leadership learning for school leaders, Management Learning, 38 (1) 79-94.
- Singh V, Vinnicombe S & Turnbull James K (2006) Constructing a professional identity: how young female managers use role models., Women In Management Review, 21 (1) 67-81.
- Burgoyne J & Turnbull James K (2006) Towards best or better practice in corporate leadership development: Operational issues in Mode 2 and Design Science research, British Journal of Management, 17 (4) 303-316.
- Turnbull James K & Arroba T (2005) Reading and carrying: a framework for learning about emotion and emotionality in organisational systems as a core aspect of leadership development, Management Learning, 36 (3) 299-316.
- Wilson S, Butler M, James K, Partington D, Singh V & Vinnicombe S (2004) The fallacy of integration: work and non-work in professional services, Women In Management Review, 19 (4) 186-195.
- James K & Huffington C (2004) Containment of anxiety in organizational change: A case example of changing organizational boundaries, Organisational and Social Dynamics, 4 (2) 212-233.
- Belling R, James K & Ladkin D (2004) Back to the workplace: How organisations can improve their support for management learning and development, Journal of Management Development, 23 (3) 234-255.
- James K & Jarrett M (2003) The elusive 'Dream Team': CEO or consultant fantasy?, Organisational and Social Dynamics **, 3 (1) 61-82.
- James K & Clark G (2002) Service organisations: issues in transition and anxiety containment, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 17 (5) 394-407.
- James K (1999) Re-thinking organisational stress: the transition to the new employment age, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 14 (7/8) 545-557.
- James K & Huffington C (1998) Organisational stress: targeting resources more effectively, Irs Employment Review (669) 7-10.
- Snell R & James K (1994) Beyond the Tangible in Management Education and Development, Management Learning, 25 (2) 319-340.
- Burnett D & James K (1994) Using the Outdoors to Facilitate Personal Change in Managers, Journal of Management Development, 13 (9) 14-24.
- Burnett D & James K (1993) Body/mind psychology in manager development: A route to enhanced managerial effectiveness, European Management Journal, 11 (4) 466-472.
- Baddeley S & James K (1991) The power of innocence: From politeness to politics, Management Education and Development, 22 (2) 106-118.
- Arroba T & James K (1990) Reducing the Cost of Stress: An Organisational Model, Personnel Review, 19 (1) 21-27.
- Baddeley S & James K (1990) Political Management: Developing the Management Portfolio, Journal of Management Development, 9 (3) 42-59.
- James K & Arroba T (1990) Politics and Management: The Effect of Stress on the Political Sensitivity of Managers, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 5 (3) 22-27.
- James K (1989) Encounter analysis: Front-line conversations and their role in improving customer service, Local Government Studies, 15 (3) 11-24.
- Arroba T & James K (1988) Are politics palateable to women managers? How women can make wise moves at work, Women In Management Review, 3 (3) 123-130.
- Baddeley S & James K (1987) From political neutrality to political wisdom, Politics, 7 (2) 35-40.
- Baddeley S & James K (1987) Owl, Fox, Donkey or Sheep: Political Skills for Managers, Management Education and Development, 18 (1) 3-19.
- James K (1980) Management and the Future, Management Bibliographies and Reviews, 6 51-67.
- James K (1978) Learning Theory and Management Development, Management Bibliographies and Reviews, 4 69-87.
- Popkova O & Turnbull James K (2017) Self-regulation mechanism in senior management transitions. In: Division of Occupational Psychology (DOP) Annual conference, Liverpool, 4-6 January 2017.
- Popkova O & Turnbull James K (2016) Work-role transitions to senior management: Self-regulation in identity adaptations. In: British Academy of Management 2016, Newcastle University, 6-8 September 2016.
- Neumann J, Vince R & Turnbull James K (2012) Leading change from the middle: challenges for middle managers as internal change agents. In: 2012 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, 3 August 2012.
- Turnbull James K (2011) The new leadership landscape: do we offer our students and clients the leadership development they ask for - or what they need?. In: 3rd Developing Leadership Capacity Conference, Bristol, 14 July 2011.
- Turnbull James K & Verity J (2011) Leading for sustainability: responsible leadership practices in a living eco-system. In: 10th International Studying Leadership Conference, Bristol, 12 December 2011.
- Denyer D, Marcos Cuevas J, Turnbull James K & Marcos Cuevas J (2011) Practicing evidence-based management: enhancing the utilization of management research?. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2011**, San Antonio, TX, 12-16 August 2011.
- Ladkin D & Turnbull James K (2010) The making of moral myopia: The case of British Members of Parliament and their expenses claims. In: 8th International Studying Leadership Conference, University of Birmingham, 7 December 2009.
- Turnbull James K (2009) Beyond a 'deficit model' of leadership development: aligning leadership development programmes with new theories of leadership. In: ESSEC Seminar, Paris.
- Turnbull James K & Ramos J (2009) Aligning leadership theory and leadership development. In: 8th International Studying Leadership Conference, University of Birmingham, 7 December 2009.
- Collins J, Denyer D & Turnbull James K (2008) Educating the evidence-based manager: The Executive Doctorate and its impact on management practice. In: International Conference on Organizational Learning, Knowledge and Capabilities (OLKC), Copenhagen, 28 April 2008.
- Turnbull James K & Collins J (2007) Is corporate leadership up to the global challenge?. In: Conference proceedings 2007 : British Academy of Management : management research, education and business success : is the future as clear as the past?, Warwick, 11 September 2007.
- Turnbull James K & Arroba T (2007) Dilemmas, Organization Politics and Wise Leadership. In: 6th Studying Leadership Conference, Warwick, 13 December 2007.
- Turnbull James K (2006) Wise leadership; a framework for learning how emotions in organizations can unconsciously impact how you take up a leadership role. In: Exeter Centre for Leadership Studies Seminar Series, Exeter.
- Turnbull James K & Denyer D (2006) Learning for sector change: the development of a knowledge sharing and learning network. In: International Conference on Organizational Learning, Knowledge and Capabilities (OLKC), Warwick, 20 March 2006.
- Turnbull James K & Collins J (2006) How does Mode 2 research undertaken on a DBA impact on manager's learning and practice?. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Belfast.
- Turnbull James K & Denyer D (2006) Making business schools relevant: impacting management practice through appropriate modes of learning. In: IMD Executive Education Conference, Lausanne.
- Collins J & Turnbull James K (2006) Is there a globe in global leadership?. In: 5th Studying Leadership Conference, Cranfield.
- Turnbull James K & Burgoyne J (2005) Learning to lead, leading to learn. In: Engaging Communities in Leadership Workshop, Lancaster.
- Turnbull James K, LeGoff M & Molian D (2005) Leadership in UK based small businesses: do leaders define a "main thing"? Does this concept contribute to our understanding of small business leadership?. In: 4th Annual Studying Leadership Conference, Lancaster.
- Turnbull James K, Kwiatkowski R & Bowman C (2004) Developing Individual Strategic Capability. In: 3rd Studying Leadership Conference, Exeter, 15-16 December 2004.
- Turnbull James K, Kwiatkowski R & Bowman C (2004) Developing Strategic Capability: Managerial imaginings and psychological insights. In: BPS Annual Conference 2004, London, 15-17 April 2004.
- Cooper D, James K, Kwiatkowski R & Taffler R (2004) The shadow in the balance sheet: The spectre of Enron and how accountants use the past as a psychological defence against the future. In: International Society for Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations Annual Symposium, Coesfeld, Germany, 18-20 June 2004.
- Turnbull James K, Mann J & Creasy J (2003) Leaders as lead learners; a case example of facilitating collaborative leadership learning for school leaders. In: EIASM Conference, Oxford.
- James K, Mann J & Creasy J (2003) Collaborative leadership learning; developing facilitation skills for collaborative learning in leadership learning groups. In: EDiNEB 10th annual international conference, 2003, Salzburg, 18 June 2003.
- Bowman C, James K & Kwiatkowski R (2003) Developing individual strategic capability: rediscovering psychological capability and context. In: Strategic Management Society 23rd Annual International Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Burgoyne J & James K (2002) Towards best or better practice in corporate leadership development: issues in mode 2 research. In: EIASM Workshop on Leadership Research, Oxford, 16 December 2006.
- Turnbull James K & Clark G (2002) Introducing managers on a management development programme to the relevance of unconscious dynamics to their leadership roles. In: OPUS Conference, London.
- James K & Huffington C (1999) Issues in Management Research, and the Value of a Psychoanalytic Perspective; A Case Study in Organisational Stress in a Japanese Multi-National Company. In: ISPSO Conference, Toronto, 1 June 1999.
- James K & Clark G (1997) The Service Shop; Extending the service operations taxonomy, understanding the management issues in different service environments, and managing transitions. In: British Academy of Management Conference, London, 9-11 September 1997.
- James K & Clark G (1997) The Coping Zone: Stress and Quality. In: IV International European Operations Management Association Conference, Barcelona.
- James K, Jarrett M & Neumann J (1996) Group Dynamics and the unconscious at work; helping students understand the non-rational aspects of implementing intentional change; a new development in teaching organisational behaviour on the MBA. In: EDINEB Conference, Orlando.
- James K, Burnett D & Jarrett M (1995) Psychological Dynamics and Organisational Learning: From the psychopathology of the dysfunctional organisation to the healthy organisation. In: The Learning Company Conference, Warwick.
- Burnett D & James K (1994) Using the Outdoors to Facilitate Personal Change in Managers. In: Training for Change Conference, Aix en Provence, 1 May 1994.
- Burnett D & James K (1993) How Body-Mind Psychology can Assist Innovation and Performance. In: EFMD Global Management Forum, Barcelona, 1 June 1993.
- James K & Burnett D (1993) An Increasing Demand: Body/Mind Approaches to Manager Development. In: EFMD Global Management Forum, Barcelona, 1 June 1993.
- James K & Lucas D (1989) Managing Learning in an Organisation that Understands Teaching. In: Post Modern Management and its implications for learning, Critical Stances on Managing Learning in Organisations Network, Escola D'Alta Direccio i Administacio, Barcelona, 1 September 1989.
- James K & Baddeley S (1987) Political skills: Extending the management portfolio. In: Rediscovering Practice, The Centre for the Study of Management Learning, Lancaster University, 1 September 1987.
- James K (1979) The future development of managers in the Dunlop organisation. In: Advances in Management Education, UMIST.
- Denyer D & Turnbull James K (2016) Doing leadership-as-practice development. In: Leadership-as-practice: Theory and application. Raelin J.A. (ed.), Routledge, p. 262-283.
- Wang L & Turnbull James K (2013) Cameo: the challenge for authentic leadership in multi-cultural settings. In: Authentic Leadership: Clashes, Convergences and Coalescences. Ladkin D, Spiller C (ed.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, p. 255-258.
- Verity J & Turnbull James K (2013) Case Study: Adnams - a living company. In: Exploring Strategy: Text and Cases. Johnson G, Whittington R, Scholes K, Angwin D, Regner P (ed.), Harlow: Pearson, p. 606-611, ed. 10th.
- Turnbull James K & Collins J (2010) Leading and managing in global contexts. In: Gower Handbook of Leadership and Management Development. Gold J, Thorpe R, Mumford A (ed.), Gower, p. 489-512.
- Turnbull James K & Collins J (2008) New Perspectives on Leadership: How Practical is a Good Theory?. In: Leadership Perspectives: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K and Collins J (ed.), Palgrave Macmillan, p. 1-12.
- Turnbull James K, Bowman C & Kwiatkowski R (2008) Strategic Leadership. In: Leadership Perspectives: Knowledge into Action, Palgrave Macmillan, p. 72-85.
- Turnbull James K & Ladkin D (2008) Meeting the challenge of leading in the 21st century: Beyond the 'deficit model' of leadership development. In: Leadership Learning: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K, Collins J (ed.), London: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 13-34.
- Turnbull James K, Collins J (eds), (2008) Leadership Learning: Knowledge into Action, London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Turnbull James K, Collins J (eds), (2008) Leadership Perspectives: Knowledge into Action, London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Huffington C, James K & Armstrong D (2004) What is the emotional cost of distributed leadership?. In: Working below the surface: The emotional life of contemporary organisations, Karnac, p. 67-83.
- James K & Vinnicombe S (2002) Acknowledging the Individual in the Researcher. In: Essential Skills for Management Research. Partington D (ed.), London: Sage Publications, p. 84-98.
- James K & Arroba T (1999) Energizing the Workplace: A Strategic Response to Stress. Hampshire: Gower Publishing Limited.
- James K, Jarrett M & Neumann JE. (1998) Group Dynamics and Unconscious Organizational Behaviour: Educating MBA Students in Non-Rational Aspects of Change.. In: Educational Innovation in Economics and Business III, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, p. 79-98.
- Arroba T & James K (1992) Pressure at Work: A Survival Guide for Managers. Berkshire: McGraw-Hill Book Company, ed. 2nd Edition.
- James K (1980) The Development of Senior Managers for the Future. In: Advances in Management Education. Beck J, Cox C (ed.), John Wiley & Sons, p. 55-72.