Emma is currently a Professor in Human Resource Management at Cranfield School of Management. She joined Cranfield in 2002 as a Research Fellow within the Human Resource Research Centre.
Emma has a PhD from Cranfield University and a MSc in Applied (Occupational) Psychology, also from Cranfield University. Prior to joining Cranfield she undertook a number of consultancy projects within the retail sector.
Emma is an expert in Human Resource Management (HRM) and leads a number of global research projects in this area. She manages "Cranet" a worldwide network of over 40 business schools that conducts comparative HRM research. She is also a Director of "5C", a global research project involving around 30 academic institutions, examining cultural and age differences in attitudes towards careers. Emma is the UK representative on the global team for the Center of Aging and Work at Boston College, USA and has conducted a research for a wide range of clients, including the Ministry of Defence, National Health Service, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, Society for Human Resource Management Foundation and several private sector organisations.
Emma is the Director of the International Executive Doctorate (DBA). She is currently co-opted to the Council of the British Academy of Management to manage their DBA interests. She is also a member of the Doctoral Programmes Committee for the European Federation of Management Development; Deputy Chair of the Chartered Association of Business Schools DBA Steering Group; and is on the Board of the Executive DBA Council.
Emma is the co-author of the book "Managing People in a Contemporary Context" and editor of several other books in the areas of HRM and age diversity. She consistently produces high quality research, which is published in journals of recognised international excellence, as well as regularly speaking at academic conferences. She is an Honorary Fellow for the Institute for Employment Studies, a Visiting Research Fellow at Westminster Business School and a member of the Executive Committee for the Careers Division of the Academy of Management. She is also an Academic Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
Emma teaches on graduate and executive programmes in the areas of Human Resource Management, Talent Management and Research Methods.
Emma has undertaken research for clients in the public private and not-for-profit sectors. These include:
Ministry of Defence
National Health Service
Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Foundation
Employers Forum on Age
Scottish Further Education Unit
Skills for Health
National Treatment Agency
Greater London Alcohol and Drugs Alliance
Articles In Journals
- Bourne H, Jenkins M & Parry E (2018) Mapping espoused organizational values, Journal of Business Ethics, Early online.
- Lepak D, Dickmann M & Parry E (2018) Introduction: Review Issue, International Journal of Human Resource Management 1-3.
- Bondarouk T, Parry E & Furtmueller E (2017) Electronic HRM: four decades of research on adoption and consequences, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28 (1) 98-131.
- Dickmann M, Parry E & Keshavjee N (2017) Localization of Staff in a Hostile Context: An Exploratory Investigation in Afghanistan, International Journal of Human Resource Management, In Press.
- Parry E & Urwin P (2017) The evidence base for generational differences: where do we go from here?, Work Aging and Retirement, 3 (2) 140-148.
- Berkery E, Morley MJ, Tiernan S, Purtill H & Parry E (2017) On the uptake of flexible working arrangements and the association with human resource and organisational performance outcomes, European Management Review, 14 (2) 165-183.
- Di Stefano G, Scrima F & Parry E (2017) The effect of organizational culture on deviant behaviors in the workplace, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Early online.
- Renshaw PStJ, Parry E & Dickmann M (2017) Seconded national experts and global mobility - extending the paradigm, Thunderbird International Business Review, Early online.
- Mayrhofer W, Briscoe J, Hall DT, Dickmann M, Dries N, Dysvik A, Kaše R, Parry E & Unite J (2016) Career Success across the Globe: Insights from the 5C Project, Organizational Dynamics, 45 (3) 197-205.
- Stavrou-Costea E, Parry E & Anderson D (2015) Nonstandard work arrangements and configurations of firm and societal systems, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26 (19) 2412-2433.
- Parry E & Martin G (2015) Do Social Media Enhance Constructive Employee Voice All of the Time or Just Some of the Time?, Human Resource Management Journal, 25 (4) 541-562.
- Kelliher C & Parry E (2015) Change in Healthcare: The impact on NHS managers, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 28 (4) 591-602.
- Gascoigne C, Parry E & Buchanan D. (2015) Extreme work, gendered work? How extreme jobs and the discourse of "personal choice' perpetuate gender inequality, Organization, 22 (4) 457-475.
- Gooderham P, Morley M, Parry E & Stavrou-Costea E (2015) National and firm level drivers of the devolution of HRM decision making to line managers, Journal of International Business Studies, 46 (6) 715-723.
- Marler JH & Parry E (2015) Human resource management, strategic involvement and e-HRM technology, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27 (19) 2233-2253.
- Kramar R & Parry E (2014) Strategic human resource management in the Asia Pacific region: similarities and differences?, Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 52 (4) 400-419.
- Scrima F, Lorito L, Parry E & Falgares G (2014) The mediating role of work engagement on the relationship between job involvement and affective commitment, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 25 (15) 2159-2173.
- Buchanan DA, Denyer D, Jaina J, Kelliher C, Moore C, Parry E & Pilbeam C (2013) How do they manage? A qualitative study of the realities of middle and front-line management work in health care, Health Services and Delivery Research, 1 (4).
- Buchanan DA, Parry E, Gascoigne C & Moore C (2013) Are healthcare middle management jobs extreme jobs?, Journal of Health Organization and Management, 27 (5) 646-664.
- Bown-Wilson D & Parry E (2013) Career progression in older managers, Employee Relations, 35 (3) 309-321.
- McNamara T, Parry E, Lee J & Pitt-Catsouphes M (2012) The effect of training on organizational performance: Differences by age composition and cultural context, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23 (6) 1226-1244.
- Parry E & Urwin P (2011) Generational differences in work values: A review of theory and evidence, International Journal of Management Reviews, 13 (1) 79-96.
- Parry E (2011) An examination of e-HRM as a means to increase the value of the HR function, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22 (5) 1146-1162.
- Parry E, Stavrou-Costea E & Morley M (2011) The Cranet International Research Network on Human Resource Management: In Retrospect and Prospect., Human Resource Management Review, 21 (1) 1-4.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2011) Desired goals and actual outcomes of e-HRM, Human Resource Management Journal, 21 (3) 335-354.
- Kelliher C & Parry E (2011) Voluntary sector HRM: Examining the influence of Government, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 24 (7) 650-661.
- Parry E & Buchanan D (2011) Releasing time to manage, Management Focus (30) 10-13.
- Denyer D, Parry E & Flowers P (2011) "Social", "Open" and "Participative"? Exploring Personal Experiences and Organisational Effects of Enterprise2.0 Use, Long Range Planning, 44 (5-6) 375-396.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2009) Organizational reactions to UK age discrimination legislation, Employee Relations, 31 (5) 471-488.
- Parry E & Wilson H (2009) Factors influencing the adoption of online recruitment, Personnel Review, 38 (6) 655-673.
- Parry E & Kelliher C (2009) Voluntary sector responses to increased resourcing challenges, Employee Relations, 31 (1) 9-24.
- Parry E, Dickmann M & Morley M (2008) North American MNCs and their HR policies in liberal and co-ordinated market economies, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 19 (11) 2024-2040.
- Gooderham P, Parry E & Ringdal K (2008) The impact of bundles of strategic human resource management practices on the performance of European firms, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 19 (11) 2041-2056.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2008) An analysis of the use and success of online recruitment methods in the UK, Human Resource Management Journal, 18 (3) 257-274.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2006) Up to data, People management.
- Croucher R, Gooderham P & Parry E (2006) The Influences on Direct Communication in British and Danish Firms: Country, 'Strategic HRM' or Unionization?, European Journal of Industrial Relations, 12 (3) 267-286.
- Gilbert R & Parry E (2005) Age survey highlights challenges for HR, Employers Law.
- Parry E (2005) Manufacturing confidence, Engineering (Jul/Aug).
- Parry E, Kelliher C, Mills T & Tyson S (2005) Comparing HRM in the voluntary and public sectors, Personnel Review, 34 (5) 588-602.
- Parry E (2004) Harness the search engines of the internet to fill vacancies, Computer Weekly (21/9).
- Parry E (2004) How is the recruitment industry shaping up?, Personnel Today -Sutton-.
- Renshaw PStJ, Dickmann M & Parry E (2017) The organizational value of international assignments: A systematic literature review. In: EURAM 2017: 17th European Academy of Management Annual Conference - Making Knowledge Work, Glasgow, Scotland, 21-24 June 2017.
- Kelliher C & Parry E (2014) Exploring emotional reactions to ongoing organizational change in the UK public sector. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2014**, Philadelphia, PA. 74th, 1-5 August 2014.
- Gascoigne C, Parry E & Buchanan DA (2013) Extreme work, normal jobs? How long hours, work intensification, workaholism and occupational identity discourses discourage socially sustainable jobs. In: Critical Management Studies Conference, Manchester, 10 July 2013.
- Parry E & Kelliher C (2011) Contemporary perspectives on people management in the voluntary sector. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2011**, San Antonio, TX, 12-16 August 2011.
- Denyer D, Buchanan D, Parry E & Osbourne J (2011) My job is 'wicked': the pressures and demands of middle management in the UK NHS. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference 2011, Birmingham, 13-15 September 2011.
- Parry E & Urwin P (2010) Generational differences in work values: A review of the evidence. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2010**, Montreal, 6-10 August 2010.
- Parry E, Kelliher & C (2010) Shaping HRM in the voluntary sector: the influence of government. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2010, Montreal, 6 August 2010.
- Unite J, Parry E, Chudzikowski K & Las Heras M (2010) Generational differences across national contexts. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2010**, Montreal, 6-10 August 2010.
- Unite J, Parry E, Briscoe JP & Chudzikowski K (2010) International conceptualisations of career success in early and late career. In: Society for Industrial and Organisational Psychology Annual Conference, Atlanta, 7 April 2010.
- Marler J, Parry E & Lepak D (2009) HRM in different national contexts: Strategic trigger or strategic choice. In: 2009 Academy of Management annual meeting: green management matters, Chicago, IL, 7 August 2009.
- Kelliher C & Parry E (2009) HRM in the UK voluntary sector: exploring the influence of government as a purchaser of services. In: International Labour Process Conference, Edinburgh, 6 April 2009.
- Marler J, Parry E & Lepak D (2009) HRM or SHRM: Which comes first?. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2009**, Chicago, IL, 7-11 August 2009.
- Parry E, Anderson D & Stavrou E (2008) Flexible working through the configurational approach: The role of firm system and societal clusters. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2008, Anaheim, 8 August 2008.
- Parry E, Dickmann M & Morley M (2008) North American firms and their HR agenda in liberal and coordinated market economies. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2008, Anaheim, 8 August 2008.
- Ollier-Malaterre A, McNamara T, Castsouphes M & Parry E (2008) Employers-of-Choice in Countries-of-Choice: Mind the Gap. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2008, Anaheim, 8 August 2008.
- Marler J & Parry E (2008) Which comes first: E-HRM or SHRM?. In: HRIS Workshop, Barcelona.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2008) Can technology transform HR processes? The case of UK recruitment. In: Second European Academic Workshop on eHRM, Aix-en-Provence.
- Parry E & Kelliher C (2008) Human resource management in the UK voluntary sector: Coping with increased resourcing challenge. In: Outsourcing to the voluntary sector: The Employment Implications - Colloquium, Glasgow.
- Tyson S & Parry E (2008) The need for analysis at the sectoral level in HRM research: Theoretical and methodological implications. In: British Academy of Management HR Conference, Kingston-upon-Thames.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2007) Technology in human resource management: a means to change the HR function?. In: 9th Conference on International Human Resource Management, Tallinn.
- Stavrou E, Parry E & Anderson D (2007) Flexible working arrangements through the lens of the Configurational Approach: The role of firm system, societal clusters and organizational antecedents. In: Dutch HRM Network Conference, Tilburg.
- Gooderham P, Parry E & Ringdal K (2007) The impact of bundles of strategic human resource management practices on performance of European firms. In: International Human Resource Management, Tallinn.
- Tyson S & Parry E (2006) Recruitment difficulties and methods for professional, technical and managerial positions at a time of full employment in the UK. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2006) Organisations' strategies for approaching age discrimination at work. In: BAM HR Division Conference, London.
- Parry E (2006) The attitudes of HR managers towards older and younger workers: is age discrimination still a problem?. In: ACREW/KCL Conference, Prato.
- Parry E (2006) Factors affecting the elimination of age discrimination in the workplace. In: ACREW/KCL Conference, Prato.
- Parry E (2006) The UK Recruitment Confidence Index. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta.
- Parry E & Wilson H (2006) Online recruitment within the UK: a model of the factors affecting its adoption. In: 1st European Academic Workshop on eHRM, Twente.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2006) The impact of technological systems on the HR role: Does the use of technology enable the HR function to become a strategic business partner?. In: 1st European Academic Workshop on eHRM, Twente.
- Parry E & Wilson H (2005) Internet recruitment. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Oxford.
- Parry E & Wilson H (2005) An inductively derived conceptual model of online recruitment adoption. In: International HRM Conference, Cairns.
- Croucher R, Gooderham P & Parry E (2005) Strategic HRM or Unionisation? Their influence on management communication: Britain and Denmark. In: 8th Conference on Human Resource Management, Cairns.
- Parry E & Wilson H (2005) Factors affecting the adoption of internet recruitment: An inductive study. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Oxford.
- Parry E (2004) The effect of assessor team composition on assessment centre decision making. In: British Psychological Society - Division of Occupational Psychology Annual Conference, Stratford upon Avon, 1 April 1990.
- Mills T, Parry E & Tyson S (2003) A network HR strategy for the alcohol and drug treatment sector in London. In: 7th Conference on International Human Resource Management, Limerick, 4 June 2003.
- Parry E, Kelliher C, Mills T & Tyson S (2003) Voluntary and public sector HRM practices in drug treatment provision. In: Dutch HRM Network Conference, University of Twente, 4 November 2003.
- Parry E, Kelliher C, Mills T & Tyson S (2003) Voluntary and public HRM practices in drug and alcohol treatment provision: a comparative analysis. In: 7th Conference on International Human Resource Management, Limerick, 4 June 2003.
- (2016) The Palgrave Handbook of Age Diversity and Work.
- Parry E, Dickmann M, Unite J, Shen Y & Briscoe J (2015) Careers in Emerging Markets. In: Handbook of Human Resource Management in Emerging Markets. Horwitz F, Budhwar P (ed.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, p. 244-270.
- (2015) Bridge Employment: A Research Handbook.
- (2014) Generational Diversity at Work: New Research Perspectives.
- (2014) Global Trends in Human Resource Management.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2013) Managing People in a Contemporary Context. Oxford: Routledge.
- McNamara T, Ollier-Malaterre A, Parry E & Pitt Catsouphes M (2011) Assessing quality of employment: Considering age composition of the workforce and country context. In: Different Perspectives on Work Changes. Papers from the Second International Workshop on Work and Intervention Practices. Lapointe A, Vaudreuil F (ed.), Pul (Presses de l'Université Laval).
- Parry E & Olivias-Lujan M (2011) Drivers of the adoption of online recruitment: An analysis using diffusion of innovation theory. In: Electronic HRM in Theory and Practice. Bonarouk T, Ruel H, Looise J (ed.), Emerald Group Publishing.
- Parry E & Kelliher C (2011) Shaping HRM in the Voluntary Sector: The influence of Government. In: Voluntary Organisations and Public Service Delivery. Cunningham I and James P (ed.), Routledge, p. 73-87.
- Parry E & Dickmann M (2011) Careers in the United Kingdom. In: Careers around the world: individual and contextual perspectives. Briscoe JP, Hall DT, Mayrhofer W (ed.), Abingdon: Routledge, p. 341-354.
- Parry E, Dickmann M & Morley M (2011) North American MNCS and their HR policies in liberal and coordinated market economies.. In: International Human Resource Management: Policy and Practice. Lazarova, M., Morley, M., and Tyson, S. (ed.), Abingdon: Routledge, p. 30-46.
- (2010) Managing an Age Diverse Workforce.
- Parry E & Urwin P (2010) The impact of generational diversity on people management. In: Managing an Age Diverse Workforce. Parry E, Tyson S (ed.), Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bown-Wilson D & Parry E (2009) What's age got to do with it?. In: Research in careers Vol 1: Maintaining Focus, Energy and Options over the lifespan. Sullivan S, Baugh G (ed.), Information Age Publishing.
- Bown-Wilson D & Parry E (2009) Career Plateauing in Older Workers: Contextual and Psychological Drivers. In: Maintaining Focus, Energy and Options over the Career. Sullivan S, Baugh G (ed.), Information Age Publishing.
- Parry E (2008) The business case for HR Information Systems: The benefits of using technology in Human Resource Management. In: Encyclopedia of Human Resources Information Systems: Challenges in e-HRM, Idea Group.
- Parry E (2008) The benefits of using technology in Human Resource Management. In: The Encyclopaedia of Human Resource Information Systems: Challenges in e-HRM.. Torres-Coronas T, Arias-Oliva M (ed.), London: IGI Global, p. 110-116.
- Parry E & Tyson S (2007) Technology and HRM: The means to become a strategic business partner?. In: Human Resource Management: A Critical Text. Storey J (ed.), London: Cengage Learning, p. 235-250, ed. 3rd.