The spirit of i2i
What are you waiting for?
Ideas to Innovation (i2i) began life as Enterprisers. It has run over 30 times since its inception for PhD communities, early career researchers and mid managers from the private and public sector.
It was established by the Cambridge-MIT institute in 2002, to develop self-confidence that enables participants to apply their knowledge and skills to create new ventures or support existing ones through being proactive and innovative.
Ideas to Innovation (i2i) is aimed at ambitious individuals looking to unlock their entrepreneurial and creative potential and consider the social and economic relevance of their research. The 4 day workshop is practical and based on experiential learning. It also equips participants with the skills to spot enterprising opportunities and to apply creative ways of thinking to any research or project through a process of knowledge, activity and reflection.
i2i is for
- Researchers within Centres of Doctoral Training
- Doctoral candidates across multiple disciplines
- Postdocs from across disciplines and backgrounds
i2i is for you if your objectives are to;
- Raise awareness of the impact of your research within communities
- Think more creatively and entrepreneurially
- Learn about the commercialising process and becoming more employable
- Turn your research and learning into new venture opportunities
i2i enables you to;
- Build your self-confidence, skills and networks to help you to make a difference
- Meet like-minded researchers, entrepreneurs and experts from various backgrounds
- Create a pathway to clearly identify the impact of your research
- Get inspired and build clarity on your future aspirations
What are the benefits?
- Develop a short statement for your research impact
- Unleash your creative potential
- Develop basic business know-how and soft-skills that are valued by industry
- Learn practical approaches through creative thinking to identify opportunities
- Meet industry players, entrepreneurs and experts with whom you can test your ideas
- Gain clearer understanding of the meaning of innovation and entrepreneurial behaviours
- Develop team awareness
- Develop a vibrant community and network of people who will play a key role in creating an enterprising culture
The workshop is led by Dr Shailendra Vyakarnam, Director of the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship alongside a team of expert facilitators ranging from academia and industry.
- Day One enables understanding of personal values, motivations and direction.
- Day Two focuses on the importance of building teams, as well as generating potential impact pathways for your research
- Day Three looks at the basic elements of taking an idea and turning it into a product or service.
- Day Four is all about communication, passion and pitching
Location and travel details
Cranfield University is located at the very heart of the UK – within the innovation triangle between London and the cities of Oxford and Cambridge.
Our central location provides easy access from the M1, excellent main line rail service as well as proximity to key international airports. Set in rolling countryside, Cranfield offers a rich, rural landscape complemented by thriving towns and picturesque villages.
- Road: We are just 10 minutes from Junctions 13 and 14 of the M1 motorway. There is free parking on campus.
- Rail: Milton Keynes or Bedford
- Air: London Luton (22 miles), Heathrow (50 miles) or Birmingham (70 miles)
For further travel details please visit our Location page.
If you would like to book accommodation whilst visiting the campus then we are pleased to offer en suite accommodation on the campus, which is within easy walking distance of lecture rooms and other facilities. To make an enquiry or booking, please contact the Cranfield Management Development Centre.
Places are open to members of Partner organisations where sponsorship has been secured.
If you are a Doctoral candidate but do not have sponsorship from one of the Organisations listed the Fees are £400.
You will need to meet your own costs of overnight accommodation (see above for an option).
At present it is free to members of:
Other Partner organisations are coming on board to provide support for Fees.
How to register
Please complete the online application form below.
The deadline for applications is 17:00 on 16th November. There is a selection process and places are limited, so, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. If you have any questions or would like to discuss the workshop further, please contact the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship.