Contact Professor Tim Hess
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758305
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
Professor Hess has a BSc in Geography and an MSc in Agricultural Engineering (Land Resource Management) and joined Cranfield University (Silsoe) as a Research Officer in 1981. In the early 1990s he represented Cranfield as Resident Scientist with the Centre for Arid Zone Studies, University of Maiduguri, Nigeria. During this time he completed his PhD on “The impact of climatic variability over the period 1961-1990 on the soil water balance of upland soils in the North East Arid Zone of Nigeria”.
Tim is Professor of Water and Food Systems within the School of Water, Energy and Environment. He has over 35 years’ experience in research and consultancy in the application of hydrology in managed rural environments, and particularly irrigated agriculture in the UK and overseas. This has been applied to sustainable food supply chains, working with national and international organisations and major UK retailers. He is an interdisciplinary scientist with a particular interest in the application of ecosystem services approaches to water management issues.
- British Hydrological Society National Committee (2013 - 2016) & S.E. Region Committee (2003 - 2015).
- Former Executive Council member of UK Irrigation Association.
- Expert group member for UK Water Research and Innovation Partnership.
- Committee member on ISO/TC 207/SC 5/WG 8 (Water Footprinting) and British Standards Institution mirror group.
- Co-Chair of International Life Sciences Institute (Europe) Environment and Health Task Force and Chair of expert group on Water Footprinting.
- Contributing author to National Ecosystem Services Assessment (NEA)
- Presently Co-I on three RC funded projects; “Fragments, functions and flows - the scaling of biodiversity and ecosystem services in urban ecosystems” (NERC); “Mitigating climate change impacts on India agriculture through improved irrigation water management” (NERC); “Establishment of a strategic training hub for the advancement of the UK agri-food industry” (BBSRC).
- Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (Potato Council, DairyCo, Eblex)
- Environmental regulators, including Environment Agency, Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- European Union – DGEnvironment
- Irish Food Board (Bord Bia)
- UK government departments, including Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), Department for International Development (DFID)
- UK Water Industry Research
- Water Research Foundation
- Food and drink businesses, including Unilever, Coca Cola, Innocent
- Major retailers including Sainsbury’s, Marks & Spencer, Waitrose, Tesco
Articles In Journals
- Echchelh A, Hess T, Sakrabani R, Miguel de Paz J & Visconti F (2019) Assessing the environmental sustainability of irrigation with oil and gas produced water in drylands, Agricultural Water Management, 223 (August) Article No. 105694.
- Comber A, Collins AL, Haro Monteagudo D, Hess T, Zhang Y, Smith AR & Turner A (2019) A generic approach for live prediction of the risk of agricultural field runoff and delivery to watercourses: linking parsimonious soil-water-connectivity models with live weather data APIs in decision tools, Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 3 (June) Article No. 42.
- Batista Seguí MD, Tyrrel S, Hess T, Sakrabani R & Knaggs D (2018) Long‐term phosphorus accumulation and removal efficiency in a land‐based wastewater treatment system in the UK, Water and Environment Journal, Early online.
- Wagstaff C, Kendrick F, Dennis C, Hollington P, Hess T, Brameld J, Crook M, Wilkinson M, Roberts J, Farrell C & Mason B (2018) Productivity framework, Food Science and Technology -London-, 32 (4) 56-61.
- Haro-Monteagudo D, Hess TM, Posthumus H & Knox J (2018) Identifying trade-offs and reconciling competing demands for water - integrating agriculture into a robust decision-making framework, Earth's Future, 6 (10) 1457-1470.
- Echchelh A, Hess T & Sakrabani R (2018) Reusing oil and gas produced water for irrigation of food crops in drylands, Agricultural Water Management, 206 (July) 124-134.
- Hess T & Sutcliffe C (2018) The exposure of a fresh fruit and vegetable supply chain to global water-related risks, Water International, 43 (6) 746-761.
- Badruzzaman M, Hess T, Smith HM, Upson S & Jacangelo JG (2017) Value propositions of the water footprint concept for sustainable water utilities, Journal -- American Water Works Association, 109 (9) E393-E408.
- Miller JD & Hess T (2017) Urbanisation impacts on storm runoff along a rural-urban gradient, Journal of Hydrology, 552 (September) 474-489.
- Seguí MD, Hess T, Sakrabani R & Tyrrel S (2017) Long-term phosphorus removal in land treatment systems: Evaluation, experiences, and opportunities, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (5) 314-334.
- Knox J, Daccache A, Hess T & Haro D (2016) Meta-analysis of climate impacts and uncertainty on crop yields in Europe, Environmental Research Letters, 11 (11) Article No. 113004.
- Hess TM, Chatterton J, Daccache A & Williams A (2016) The impact of changing food choices on the blue water scarcity footprint and greenhouse gas emissions of the British diet: The example of potato, pasta and rice., Journal of Cleaner Production, 112 (Part 5) 4558-4568.
- Hess TM, Sumberg J, Biggs T, Georgescu M, Haro-Monteagudo D, Jewitt G, Ozdogan M, Marshall M, Thenkabail P, Daccache A, Marin F & Knox JW (2016) A sweet deal? Sugarcane, water and agricultural transformation in Sub-Saharan Africa, Global Environmental Change, 39 (July) 181-194.
- Daccache A, Knox JW, Weatherhead EK, Daneshkhah A & Hess TM (2015) Implementing precision irrigation in a humid climate - recent experiences and on-going challenges, Agricultural Water Management, 147 (January) 135-143.
- Hess TM, Andersson U, Mena C & Williams A (2015) The impact of healthier dietary scenarios on the global blue water scarcity footprint of food consumption in the UK, Food Policy, 50 1-10.
- Watts G, Battarbee RW, Bloomfield JP, Crossman J, Daccache A, Durance I, Elliott JA, Garner G, Hannaford J, Hannah DM, Hess T, Jackson CR, Kay AL, Kernan M, Knox J, Mackay J, Monteith DT, Ormerod SJ, Rance J, Stuart ME, Wade AJ, Wade SD, Weatherhead K, Whitehead PG & Wilby RL (2015) Climate change and water in the UK - past changes and future prospects, Progress in Physical Geography, 39 (1) 6-28.
- Chiverton A, Hannaford J, Holman IP, Corstanje R, Prudhomme C, Hess TM & Bloomfield JP (2015) Using variograms to detect and attribute hydrological change, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 19 (5) 2395-2408.
- Perez-Ortola M, Daccache A, Hess TM & Knox JW (2015) Simulating impacts of irrigation heterogeneity on onion (Allium cepa L.) yield in a humid climate, Irrigation Science, 33 (1) 1-14.
- Hess TM, Lennard AT & Daccache A (2015) Comparing local and global water scarcity information in determining the water scarcity footprint of potato cultivation in Great Britain, Journal of Cleaner Production, 87 666-674.
- Chiverton A, Hannaford J, Holman I, Corstanje R, Prudhomme C, Bloomfield J & Hess TM (2015) Which catchment characteristics control the temporal dependence structure of daily river flows?, Hydrological Processes, 29 (6) 1353-1369.
- Weatherhead K, Knox J, Hess T & Daccache A (2015) Exploring irrigation futures Developments in demand forecasting, Outlook On Agriculture, 44 (2) 119-126.
- Hess TM, Daccache A, Daneshkhah A & Knox JW (2015) Scale impacts on spatial variability in reference evapotranspiration, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 61 (3) 601-609.
- Hess TM, Aldaya M, Fawell J, Franceschini H, Ober E, Schaub R & Schulze-Aurich J (2014) Understanding the impact of crop and food production on the water environment ‐using sugar as a model, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 94 (1) 2-8.
- Chipula G, Sakrabani R, Hess T & Tyrrel S (2014) Compost-sewage effluent integration for ryegrass production, Journal of Crop Improvement, 28 (3) 345-360.
- Morris J, Beedell J & Hess TM (2014) Mobilising flood risk management services from rural land: principles and practice, Journal of Flood Risk Management, 9 (1).
- Hess TM & Knox JW (2013) Water savings in irrigated agriculture - a framework for assessing technology and management options to reduce water losses, Outlook On Agriculture, 42 (2) 85-91.
- Hess TM & Knox JW (2013) A framework for assessing technology and management options to reduce water losses., Outlook On Agriculture, 42 (2) 85-91.
- McIntyre N, Ballard C, Bruen M, Bulygina N, Buytaert W, Cluckie I, Dunn S, Ehret U, Ewen J, Gelfan A, Hess T, Hughes D, Jackson B, Kjeldsen T, Merz R, Park J-S, O'Connell E, O'Donnell G, Oudin L, Todini E, Wagener T & Wheater H (2013) Modelling the hydrological impacts of rural land use change, Hydrology Research, 45 (6) 737-754.
- Monaghan J, Daccache A, Vickers L, Hess T, Weatherhead EK, Grove I & Knox JW (2013) More 'crop per drop': constraints and opportunities for precision irrigation in European agriculture., Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 93 (5) 977-980.
- Knox JW, Hess TM, Daccache A & Wheeler T (2012) Climate change impacts on crop productivity in Africa and South Asia, Environmental Research Letters, 7 (3) Article No. 034032.
- Archer NAL, Quinton JN & Hess TM (2012) Patch vegetation and water redistribution above and below ground in southeast Spain., Ecohydrology, 5 (1) 108-120.
- Knox, J.W., Rodriguez-Diaz, J.A., and Hess & T.M. (2011) Estimating evapotranspiration using atmometers for irrigation scheduling in a humid environment, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 137 (11) 685-691.
- Rouquette JR, Posthumus H, Morris J, Hess TM, Dawson QL & Gowing DJ (2011)
Synergies and trade-offs in the management of lowland rural floodplains: an ecosystem services approach, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 56 (8) 1566-1581.
- Holman IP, Hess TM & Rose SC (2011) A broad-scale assessment of the effect of improved soil management on catchment baseflow index, Hydrological Processes, 25 (16) 2563-2572.
- Knox JW, Rodriguez-Diaz JA & Hess TM (2011) Estimating evapotranspiration by using atmometers for irrigation scheduling in a humid environment, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 137 (11) 685-691.
- Morris J, Graves A, Daccache A, Hess & Knox J (2010) Towards a framework for the economic assessment of drought risk - an ecosystems approach, Options méditerranéenes, 95 (A) 139-148.
- Posthumus H, Rouquette JR, Morris J, Gowing DG & Hess TM (2010) A framework for the assessment of ecosystem goods and services; a case study on lowland floodplains in England., Ecological Economics, 69 (7) 1510-1523.
- Armsworth PR, Armsworth AN, Compton N, Cottle P, Davies I, Emmett BA, Fandrich V, Foote M, Gardiner P, Gaston KJ, Hess TM, Hopkins J, Horsley N, Leaver N, Maynard T & Shannon D (2010) The ecological research needs of business., Journal of Applied Ecology, 47 (2) 235-243.
- Knox J, Morris J & Hess T (2010) Identifying future risks to UK agricultural crop production: Putting climate change in context, Outlook On Agriculture, 39 (4) 249-256.
- Hess TM (2010) Estimating green water footprints in a temperate environment., Water (Switzerland), 2 (3) 351-362.
- Hess TM, Holman IP, Rose SC, Rosolova Z & Parrott A (2010) Estimating the impact of rural land management changes on catchment runoff generation in England and Wales., Hydrological Processes, 24 (10) 1357-1368.
- Holman IP, Tascone D & Hess TM (2009) A comparison of stochastic and deterministic downscaling methods for modelling potential groundwater recharge under climate change in East Anglia, UK: implications for groundwater resource management, Hydrogeology Journal, 17 (7) 1629-1641.
- Hess TM & Molatakgosi G (2009) Irrigation management practices of cabbage farmers in Botswana using saline groundwater., Agricultural Water Management, 96 (2) 226-232.
- Rouquette JR, Posthumus H, Gowing DJG, Tucker G, Dawson QL, Hess TM & Morris J (2009) Valuing nature-conservation interests on agricultural floodplains., Journal of Applied Ecology, 46 (2) 289-296.
- Posthumus H, Morris J, Hess TM, Neville D, Phillips E & Baylis A (2009) Impacts of the summer 2007 floods on agriculture in England, Journal of Flood Risk Management, 2 (3) 182-189.
- Lopez Moreno JIL, Hess TM & White SM (2009) Estimation of reference evapotranspiration in a mountainous Mediterranean site using the Penman-Monteith equation with limited meteorological data., Pirineos, 164 7-31.
- De Bock T, Kervyn De Meerendré B, Hess T & Gouder De Beauregard A-C (2009) Ecohydrology of a seasonal wetland in the Rift Valley: ecological characterization of Lake Solai, African Journal of Ecology, 47 (3) 289-298.
- Morris J & Hess TM (2005) A framework for integrating flood defence and biodiversity in washlands in England, International Journal of River Basin Management, 3 (2) 105-115.
- Peacock CE & Hess TM (2004) Estimating evapotranspiration from a reed bed using the Bowen ratio energy balance method, Hydrological Processes, 18 (2) 247-260.
- Graves AR, Hess TM, Matthews RB, Stephens W & Mason T (2002) Crop simulation models as tools in education., Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 31 48-54.
- Graves AR, Hess TM, Matthews RB, Stephens W & Middleton T (2002) Crop simulation models as tools in computer laboratory and classroom-based education, Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 31 48-54.
- Matthews RB, Stephens W, Hess TM, Middleton T & Graves AR (2002) Applications of crop/soil simulation models in tropical agricultural systems, Advances in Agronomy, 76 31-124.
- Archer NL, Hess TM & Quinton JN (2002) The water balance of two semi-arid shrubs on abandoned land in South-eastern Spain after cold season rainfall, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 6 (5) 913-926.
- Archer NAL, Quinton JN & Hess TM (2002) Below-ground relationships of soil texture, roots and hydraulic conductivity in two-phase mosaic vegetation in South-east Spain, Journal of Arid Environments, 52 (4) 535-553.
- Stephens W, Hess TM & Knox JW (2001) The effect of energy crops on hydrology, Aspects of Applied Biology, 65 101-108.
- Quinton JN, Catt JA, Hess TM & Todd A (2001) The selective removal of phosphorus from soil: is event size important?, Journal of Environmental Quality, 30 (2) 538-545.
- Hess Tim M (1999) Minimising the environmental impacts of irrigation by good scheduling.
- Stephens W & Hess TM (1999) Modelling the benefits of soil water conservation using the PARCH model - A case study from a semi-arid region of Kenya, Journal of Arid Environments, 41 (3) 335-344.
- Stephens W & Hess T (1999) Systems approaches to water management research, Agricultural Water Management, 40 (1) 3-13.
- Hess TM (1998) Trends in reference evapo-transpiration in the North East Arid Zone of Nigeria, 1961-91, Journal of Arid Environments, 38 (1) 99-115.
- Hess Tim M (1996) Evapotranspiration Estimates for Water Balance Scheduling in the UK.
- Hess T, Stephens W & Thomas G (1996) Modelling NDVI from decadal rainfall data in the North East Arid Zone of Nigeria, Journal of Environmental Management , 48 (3) 249-261.
- Hess T (1996) A microcomputer scheduling program for supplementary irrigation, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 15 (3) 233-243.
- Hess TM, Stephens W & Maryah UM (1995) Rainfall trends in the North East Arid Zone of Nigeria 1961-1990, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 74 (1-2) 87-97.
- Morris J & Hess TM (1988) Agricultural flood alleviation benefit assessment: a case study, Journal of Agricultural Economics, 39 (3) 402-412.
- Morris J, Hess TM, Posthumus H, Trawick P, Neville D, Phillips E & Wysoki M (2008) Impacts of the summer 2007 floods in rural England: rural flood proofing - Cinderella or suitable case for treatment?. In: Defra Flood and Coastal Management Conference 2008, Manchester, 1 July 2008.
- Hess Tim M & Counsell Chris (2008) A water balance simulation model for teaching and learning – WaSim.
- Posthumus H, Morris J, Hess TM, Trawick P, Neville D, Phillips E & Wysoki M (2008) Impacts of the summer 2007 floods on agriculture in England. In: FloodRisk2008, Oxford, 30 September 2008.
- Posthumus H, Rouquette J, Morris J, Hess TM, Gowing DJ & Dawson QL (2008) Integrated land and water management in floodplains in England. In: FloodRisk2008, Oxford, 30 September 2008.
- Morris J, Hess TM, Gill A, Howsam P & White SM (2004) The Water Framework Directive and Flood Management. In: DEFRA 2004 39th Flood Catchment Management Conference, London, 1 January 2004.
- Lopez-Moreno I, Hess TM & White SM (2003) Estimation of reference evapotranspiration in the upper Aragon River Basin, with Penman-Monteith equation using easily available meteorological data. In: EGS - AGU - EUG Joint Assembly, Nice, France, 1 July 2003.
- Morris J, Hess TM, Gowing D, Leeds-Harrison PB, Bannister N, Vivash RMN & Wade M (2003) Integrated washland management for flood defence and biodiversity. In: 38th Defrs Flood & Coastal Management Conference, 1 July 2003.
- Gadoury S & Hess TM (2002) Improved irrigation scheduling for spring wheat grown under centre pivot irrigation in Zambia's sandy soil. In: 18th ICID Congress, Montreal, Canada, 28 July 2002, Montreal, Canada, 28 July 2002.
- Hess TM & Knox JW (2002) Irrigation advisory services: experiences in the UK. In: Paper presented at 'Irrigation advisory services and participatory extension in irrigation management'. Workshop FAO/ICID. 24 July 2002. Montreal, Canada, 1 July 2002.
- Knox JW, Weatherhead EK & Hess TM (2001) Integrating spatial data, GIS and a computer model to improve the management and planning of water resources for irrigated agriculture in England and Wales. In: International workshop on geo-spatial knowledge processing for natural resources management, Varese, Italy, 28 June 2001.
- Hess TM (1996) A comparison between evapotranspiration calculated from an automatic weather station and conventional weather data - implications for irrigation scheduling in the UK. In: Proceedings International Conference on Evapotranspiration and Irrigation Scheduling, ASAE/Irrigation Association/ICID., USA, 1 July 1996.
- Hess TM, Leeds-Harrison PB & Morris J (1989) The evaluation of river maintenance in agricultural areas. In: V.A. Dodd & P.M. Grace, eds. Land & Water Use: proceedings of 11th International Conference on Agricultural Engineering, Ireland, 1 July 1989.
- Hess TM & Morris J (1988) A model for the economic evaluation of flood alleviation in agricultural areas. In: Proceedings of 15th European conference on agricultural water management, Dubrovnik. Session on economic aspects of flood control & non-structural measures, 1 July 1988.
- Hess TM (1988) Computer Aided Irrigation Scheduling. In: S.W.R. Cox, ed. Proceedings of the Jubilee Conference of the Institution of Agrilcultural Engineering. Butterworths, UK, 1 July 1988.
- Morris J, Black DE & Hess TM (1987) Farmer uptake of drainage benefits: a regional study. In: Presented to MAFF conference of River and Coastal Engineers,, Loughborough, UK, 1 July 1987.
- Morris J & Hess TM (1986) Evaluating farmer response to land drainage improvement. In: Presented to International Conference on Hydraulic Design in Water Resources Eng: Land drainage: Session V. Economics. University of Southampton, UK, 1 July 1986.
- Morris J & Hess TM (1985) A computer model for agricultural land drainage scheme appraisal. In: Paper presented to Cranfield Conference of River Engineers, 1 July 1985.
- Hess TM & Morris J Drainage benefits and farmer uptake. In: Paper to MAFF Annual Conference of River Engineers. Cranfield. July, UK.
- Hess TM, Knox JW, Kay MG & and Weatherhead EK (2010) Managing the Water Footprint of Irrigated Food Production in England and Wales. In: Sustainable Water, UK: Royal Society of Chemistry, p. 78-92, ed. 1st.
- Morris J, Posthumus H, Hess TM, Gowing DJG & Rouquette JR (2009) Watery land: the management of lowland floodplains in England. In: What is Land For? The Food, Fuel and Climate Change Debate, Earthscan.