Contact Professor Sean Tyrrel
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758320
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
Professor Tyrrel holds a BSc (Hons) in Microbiology from the University of Leeds, an MPhil on the interaction of engineering and environmental factors on iron biofouling in boreholes from Cranfield University and a PhD on Land-based wastewater treatment, also from Cranfield University.
Professor Tyrrel is a Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) and Chartered Water and Environmental Manager (C.WEM).
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (FCIWEM) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). He is also a Member of the Society of Applied Microbiologists and Member of the International Water Association.
Professor Tyrrel's research focuses on the application of environmental microbiology to the management of organic solid wastes and wastewater. He has over 25 years of research experience in this field and has secured and managed research contracts funded by NERC, EPSRC, WRAP, Defra, DFID and several water and waste management companies. He has an established track record in research at the interface between waste management practice, environmental microbiology, and human health. Professor Tyrrel is a key contributor to an on-going programme of work related to the fate of pathogens in faecal waste residuals (such as sewage sludge and animal slurry) applied to agricultural land, funded by NERC, EU-FP7, United Utilities, and the Walsh Fellowship Programme. He has undertaken a series of projects for WRAP related to risk assessment of organics recycling in UK agriculture. Professor Tyrrel leads Cranfield's work on bioaerosol emission and dispersion from composting facilities and the implications of exposure to bioaerosols on human health. He has been recognised nationally and internationally for this work through his appointment to the BSI Air Quality Committee and as UK principal delegate to the CEN committee on bioaerosol measurement. Professor Tyrrel is a Chartered Environmentalist and a Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management.
- Environment Agency
- United Utilities
- Scottish Water
- Severn Trent
- Sita UK
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- ACO Ltd
- Mott McDonald
Articles In Journals
- Nasir ZA, Hayes E, Williams B, Gladding T, Rolph C, Khera S, Jackson S, Bennett A, Collins S, Parks S, Attwood A, Kinnersley RP, Walsh K, Garcia Alcega S, Pollard SJT, Drew G, Coulon F & Tyrrel S (2019) Scoping studies to establish the capability and utility of a real-time bioaerosol sensor to characterise emissions from environmental sources, Science of the Total Environment, 648 (January) 25-32.
- Fidalgo B, Chilmeran M, Somorin T, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal thermogravimetric kinetic analysis of the thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Renewable Energy, 132 (March) 1177-1184.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2018) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, Early online.
- Ellis S, Tyrrel S, O'Leary E, Richards K, Griffiths B & Ritz K (2018) Proportion of sewage sludge to soil influences the survival of Salmonella Dublin, and Escherichia coli, CLEAN - Soil, Air, Water, 46 (4, 1800042).
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Sakar H, Autin O, Mercer E, Collins M, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2018) Impact of fouling, cleaning and faecal contamination on the separation of water from urine using thermally driven membrane separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (9) 1372-1382.
- Kolios A, Jiang Y, Somorin T, Sowale A, Anastasopoulou A, Anthony B, Fidalgo Fernandez B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Collins M & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic performance assessment of complex energy process systems – The case of a self-sustained sanitation system, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 74-85.
- Garcia-Alcega S, Nasir ZA, Ferguson R, Noel C, Cravo-Laureau C, Whitby C, Dumbrell AJ, Colbeck I, Tyrrel S & Coulon F (2018) Can chemical and molecular biomarkers help discriminate between industrial, rural and urban environments?, Science of the Total Environment, 631-632 (August) 1059-1069. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5593474
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Ameh EM, Tyrrel S, Harris J, Ignatiou A, Orlova E & Nocker A (2018) The absence or presence of a lytic coliphage affects the response of Escherichia coli to heat, chlorine, or UV exposure, Folia Microbiologica, Early online.
- Sowale A, Kolios A, Fidalgo B, Somorin T, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Thermodynamic analysis of a gamma type Stirling engine in an energy recovery system, Energy Conversion and Management, 165 528-540.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Conceptual environmental impact assessment of a novel self-sustained sanitation system incorporating a Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment approach, Science of the Total Environment, 639 (October) 657-672.
- Ashekuzzaman SM, Richards K, Ellis S, Tyrrel S, O'Leary E, Griffiths B, Ritz K & Fenton O (2018) Risk assessment of E. coli survival up to the grazing exclusion period after dairy slurry, cattle dung and biosolids application to grassland, Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 2 Article No. 34.
- Rolph CA, Gwyther CL, Tyrrel SF, Nasir ZA, Drew GH, Jackson SK, Khera S, Hayes ET, Williams B, Bennett A, Collins S, Walsh K, Kinnersley R & Gladding TL (2018) Sources of airborne endotoxins in ambient air and exposure of nearby communities - a review, Atmosphere, 9 (10) Article No. 375.
- Nasir ZA, Rolph C, Collins S, Stevenson D, Gladding TL, Hayes E, Williams B, Khera S, Jackson, Bennett A, Parks S, Kinnersley RP, Walsh K, Pollard SJT, Drew G, Garcia Alcega S, Coulon F & Tyrrel S (2018) A controlled study on the characterisation of bioaerosols emissions from compost, Atmosphere, 9 (10) Article No. 379. Dataset/s: https://catalogue.ceh.ac.uk/eidc/documents
- Douglas P, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Whelan M, Longhurst PJ, Hansell AL, Walsh K, Pollard SJT & Drew GH (2017) Predicting Aspergillus fumigatus exposure from composting facilities using a dispersion model: a conditional calibration and validation, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 20 (1) 17-28.
- Wang CY, Mercer E, Kamranvand F, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2017) Tube-side mass transfer for hollow fibre membrane contactors operated in the low Graetz range, Journal of Membrane Science, 523 235-246.
- Garcia-Alcega S, Nasir ZA, Ferguson R, Withby C, Dumbrell AJ, Colbeck I, Gomes D, Tyrrel S & Coulon F (2017) Fingerprinting outdoor air environments using microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs): A review, Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 86 75-83.
- Antille DL, Godwin RJ, Sakrabani R, Seneweera S, Tyrrel SF & Johnston AE (2017) Field-scale evaluation of biosolids-derived organomineral fertilizers applied to winter wheat in England, Agronomy Journal, 109 (2) 654-674.
- Garnett K, Cooper T, Longhurst P, Jude S & Tyrrel S (2017) A conceptual framework for negotiating public involvement in municipal waste management decision-making in the UK, Waste Management, 66 (August) 210-221.
- Somorin T, Kolios A, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2017) Faecal-wood biomass co-combustion and ash composition analysis, Fuel, 203 781-791.
- Seguí MD, Hess T, Sakrabani R & Tyrrel S (2017) Long-term phosphorus removal in land treatment systems: Evaluation, experiences, and opportunities, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (5) 314-334.
- Douglas P, Hayes ET, Williams WB, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Walsh K, O'Driscoll M, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2017) Use of dispersion modelling for Environmental Impact Assessment of biological air pollution from composting: progress, problems and prospects, Waste Management, 70 (December) 22-29.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Mercer E, Cruddas P, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Charlton A, Sakrabani R, Tyrrel S, Rivas Casado M, McGrath SP, Crooks B, Cooper P & Campbell CD (2016) Long-term impact of sewage sludge application on soil microbial biomass: an evaluation using meta-analysis, Environmental Pollution, 2019 (December) 1021-1035.
- Douglas P, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Whelan M, Longhurst PJ, Walsh K, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2016) Sensitivity of predicted bioaerosol exposure from open windrow composting facilities to ADMS dispersion model parameters, Journal of Environmental Management , 184 (2) 448-455.
- Moynihan EL, Richards KG, Brennan FP, Tyrrel SF & Ritz K (2015) Enteropathogen survival in soil from different land-uses is predominantly regulated by microbial community composition, Applied Soil Ecology, 89 (May) 76-84.
- Hassard F, Biddle J, Cartmell E, Jefferson B, Tyrrel S & Stephenson T (2015) Rotating biological contactors for wastewater treatment - A review, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 94 285-306.
- Chipula G, Sakrabani R, Hess T & Tyrrel S (2014) Compost-sewage effluent integration for ryegrass production, Journal of Crop Improvement, 28 (3) 345-360.
- Tamer Vestlund A, Al-Ashaab R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2014) Morphological classification of bioaerosols from composting using scanning electron microscopy, Waste Management, 34 (7) 1101-1108.
- Moynihan EL, Richards KG, Ritz K, Tyrrel SF & Brennan FP (2013) Impact of soil type, biology and temperature on the survival of non-toxigenic Escherichia coli O157, Biology and Environment, 113B (1) 1-6.
- Deeks LK, Chaney K, Murray C, Sakrabani R, Gedara S, Le MS, Tyrrel S, Pawlett M, Read R & Smith G (2013) A new sludge-derived organo-mineral fertilizer gives similar crop yields as conventional fertilisers, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 33 (3) 539-549.
- Deeks LK, Chaney K, Murray C, Sakrabani R, Gedara S, Le MS, Tyrrel S, Pawlett M, Read R & Smith GH (2013) Field evaluation of a sewage sludge derived novel organo-mineral fertilizer on combinable crops, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 33 (3) 539-549.
- Pankhurst LJ, Whitby C, Pawlett M, Larcombe LD, McKew B, Deacon LJ, Morgan SL, Villa R, Drew GH, Tyrrel S, Pollard SJ & Coulon F (2012) Temporal and spatial changes in the microbial bioaerosol communities in green-waste composting., FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 79 (1) 229-239.
- Harris JA, Baptista JDC, Curtis TP, Nelson AK, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Tyrrel SF. (2012) Engineering difference: Matrix design determines community composition in wastewater treatment systems, Ecological Engineering, 40 183-188.
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JW, Pollard SJ & Tyrrel SF (2011) Spatial variations in airborne microorganism and endotoxin concentrations at green waste composting facilities., International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 214 (5) 376-383.
- Harris JA, Tyrrel SF, Ritz K, Lanigan GJ, Griffiths BS, Brennan FP, Bourdin F, Massey PA, Moynihan EL, Rogers NE, Kibblewhite MG, Pawlett M, Sakrabani R, Hoekstra NJ, Creamer RE, Schulte RPO & Richards KG (2011) Does soil biology hold the key to optimized slurry management? A manifesto for research, Soil Use and Management, 27 (4) 464-469.
- Knox JW, Tyrrel SF, Daccache A & Weatherhead EK (2011) A geospatial approach to assessing microbiological water quality risks associated with irrigation abstraction, Water and Environment Journal, 25 (2) 282-289.
- Ganidi N, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2011) The effect of organic loading rate on foam initiation during mesophilic anaerobic digestion of municipal wastewater sludge, Bioresource Technology, 102 (12) 6637-6643.
- Tiberghien JE, Robbins PT & Tyrrel SF (2011) Reflexive assessment of practical and holistic sanitation development tools using the rural and peri-urban case of Mexico, Journal of Environmental Management , 92 (3) 457-471.
- Liu JA, Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Abate W, Hayes ET, Drew GH, Longhurst PJ, Pollard S, Longhurst J, Tyrrel SF & Jackson SK (2011) Evaluation of inflammatory effects of airborne endotoxin emitted from composting sources, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 30 (3) 602-606.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR & Tyrrel SF (2011) Investigation of the application of an enzyme-based biodegradability test method to a municipal solid waste biodrying process, Waste Management, 31 (7) 1467-1471.
- Elala D, Labhasetwar P & Tyrrel SF (2011) Deterioration in water quality from supply chain to household and appropriate storage in the context of intermittent water supplies, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 11 (4) 400-408.
- Parker AH, Youlten R, Dillon M, Nussbaumer T, Carter RC, Tyrrel SF & Webster J (2010) An assessment of microbiological water quality of six water source categories in north-east Uganda, Journal of Water and Health, 8 (3) 550-560.
- Ganidi N, Tyrrel SF & Cartmell E (2009) Anaerobic Digestion Foaming, Causes and Control: a review., Bioresource Technology, 100 (23) 5546-5554.
- Thomas D, Tyrrel SF, Smith R & Farrow S (2009) Bioassays for the evaluation of landfill leachate toxicity: A review, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B: Critical Reviews, 12 (1) 83-105.
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Microbial and endotoxin emission from composting facilities: characterisation of release and dispersal patterns, Wit Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, 123 163-172.
- Wagland ST, Tyrrel SF, Godley AR & Smith R (2009) Test methods to aid in the evaluation of the diversion of biodegradable municipal waste (BMW) from landfill., Waste Management, 29 (3) 1218-1226.
- Deacon L, Pankhurst L, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst J, Longhurst P, Pollard S & Tyrrel S (2009) Endotoxin emissions from commercial composting activities, Environmental Health, 8 (1).
- Deacon LJ, Pankhurst LJ, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Liu J, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Particle size distribution of airborne Aspergillus fumigatus spores emitted from compost using membrane-filtration., Atmospheric Environment, 43 (35) 5698-5701.
- Sugiura A, Tyrrel SF, Seymour I & Burgess PJ (2008) Water Renew systems: wastewater polishing using renewable energy crops, Water Science and Technology, 57 (9) 1421-1428.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR, Frederickson J, Tyrrel SF & Smith R (2008) Comparison of a novel enzymatic biodegradability test method with microbial degradation methods, Communications in Waste and Resource Management, 9 (3) 80-86.
- Tyrrel SF, Seymour I & Harris JA (2008) Bioremediation of leachate from a green waste composting facility using waste-derived filter media, Bioresource Technology, 99 (16) 7657-7664.
- Ramos MC, Quinton JN & Tyrrel SF (2006) Effects of cattle manure on erosion rates and runoff water pollution by faecal coliforms, Journal of Environmental Management , 78 (1) 97-101.
- Tyrrel SF, Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2006) Microbiological water quality requirements for salad irrigation in the United Kingdom, Journal of Food Protection, 69 (8) 2029-2035.
- Trevett AF, Carter RC & Tyrrel SF (2005) Mechanisms leading to post-supply water quality deterioration in rural Honduran communities: a case of contamination or bacterial growth?, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 208 (3) 153-161.
- Trevett AF, Carter RC & Tyrrel SF (2005) The importance of domestic water quality management in the context of faecal-oral disease transmission, Journal of Water and Health, 3 (3) 259-270.
- Tyrrel SF & Leeds-Harrison PB (2005) Treatment of dirty water from dairy farms using a soil-based batch recirculation system., Water Science and Technology, 51 (9) 73-79.
- Trevett Andrew F, Carter Richard C & Tyrrel Sean F (2005) Mechanisms leading to post-supply water quality deterioration in rural Honduran communities, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 208 (3) 153-161.
- Savage A J & Tyrrel Sean F (2005) Compost liquor bioremediation using waste materials as biofiltration media., Bioresource Technology, 96 (5) 557-564.
- Trevett AF, Carter RC & Tyrrel SF (2004) Water quality deterioration: a study of household drinking-water quality in rural Honduras, International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 14 (4) 273-283.
- Trevett Andrew Francis, Carter Richard C & Tyrrel Sean F (2004) Water quality deterioration: A study of household drinking water quality in rural Honduras, International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 14 (4) 273-283.
- Tyrrel SF & Quinton JN (2003) Overland flow transport of Pathogens from agricultural land receiving faecal wastes, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 94 (S1) 87S-93S.
- Quinton JN, Tyrrel SF & Ramos M (2003) The effect of incorporating slurries on the transport of faecal coliforms, Soil Use and Management, 19 (2) 185-186.
- Tyrrel Sean F, Leeds-Harrison P B & Harrison K S (2002) Removal of ammoniacal nitrogen from landfill leachate by irrigation onto vegetated treatment planes, Water Research, 36 (1) 291-299.
- Nixon DJ, Stephens W, Tyrrel SF & Brierley EDR (2001) The potential for short rotation energy forestry on restored landfill caps, Bioresource Technology, 77 (3) 237-245.
- Brierley EDR, McDevitt JE, Thorn PE, Tyrrel SF & Stephens W (2001) Application of landfill leachate to willow short rotation coppice, Aspects of Applied Biology, 65 321-328.
- Carter RC & Tyrrel SF (2001) Groundwater: potential but not panacea, Waterlines, 20 (2).
- Stephens W, Tyrrel SF & Tiberghien JE (2000) Irrigating short rotation coppice with landfill leachate: constraints to productivity due to chloride, Bioresource Technology, 75 (3) 227-229.
- Carter R, Tyrrel SF & Howsam P (1993) Lessons learned from the UN water decade, Water and Environment Journal, 7 (6) 646-650.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic life cycle assessment of the nano membrane toilet. In: ICWERS 2018: 20th International Conference on Waste-to-Energy Technologies and Sustainability, Rome, 5-6 March 2018.
- Williams B, Hayes E, Nasir Z, Rolph C, Jackson S, Khera S, Bennett A, Gladding T, Drew G & Tyrrel S (2017) The challenges, uncertainties and opportunities of bioaerosol dispersion modelling from open composting facilities. In: Air Pollution XXV: 25th International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air Pollution, Cadiz, 25-27 April 2017.
- Garcia Alcega S, Tyrrel S & Coulon F (2017) Sampling microbial volatile organic compounds: optimisation of flow rate and sampling time. In: Air Pollution XXV: 25th International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air Pollution, Cadiz, 25-27 April 2017.
- Nasar ZA & Tyrrel S (2015) Fluorescence based detection of bioaerosols to improve emissions characterization from environmental sources. In: Annual aerosol science conference 2015: aerosol generation and impact, Birmingham, 12 November 2015.
- Longhurst P, Chambers B, Gale P, Litterick A, Taylor M, Tompkins D & Tyrrel S (2012)
Risk assessment of the use of source-segregated anaerobic digestates in GB agriculture. In: 17th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference, 2012, Leeds, 19 November 2012.
- Taylor M, Chambers B, Litterick A, Longhurst P, Tyrrel S, Gale P & Tompkins D (2012) Risk-based Guidance for BSI PAS110 Digestates in GB Agriculture. In: 17th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference, 2012, Leeds, 19 November 2012.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2008) The development of a novel biodegradability test method based on the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. In: Waste 2008 Conference: Waste and Resource Management - A Shared Responsibility, Stratford-upon-Avon, 16 September 2008.
- Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Jordinson G, Taha MPM, Smith R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ & Pollard S (2007) Progress towards a best practice method for modelling dispersion of bioaerosols from composting facilities. In: 11th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, 2007 (Sardinia 2007), S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, 1 October 2007.
- Tamer Vestlund A, Drew GH, Jehlickova B, Stenbro-Olsen P, Sneath R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ, Jordinson G & Pollard S (2007) Bioaerosol and odour emissions: a comparison of three composting sites in Scotland. In: SARDINIA 2007. Eleventh International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, S. Margherita di Pula (Cagliari), Italy, 1 October 2007.
- Suguira A, Tyrrel SF, Seymour IL & Burgess PJ (2007)
Water Renew systems : wastewater polishing using renewable energy crops. In: Guiding the Growth of Water Reuse. 6th IWA Specialist Conference on Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse for Sustainability, Flanders Congress Centre, Antwerp, belgium, 9 October 2007.
- Ganidi N, Cartmell E & Tyrrel SF (2006) Anaerobic digester foaming. In: 11th European Biosolids and organic resources conference exhibition and workshop, Wakefield, UK, 13 November 2006.
- Tyrrel SF, Seymour IL, Harris JA, Savage A & Smith R (2005) Biological treatment of compost liquor using waste-derived filter media. In: Sardinia 2005, Tenth International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, Cagliari, 3 October 2005.
- Pollard SJT, Sweet N, Owers A, Longhurst PJ, Tyrrel SF & Taha MPH (2003) A risk management framework for composting facilities in the United Kingdom. In: 8th European Biosolids & Organic Residuals Conference Workshop & Exhibition., Harrogate, UK, 1 July 2003.
- Pollard S, Sweet N, Owers A, Longhurst PJ, Tyrrel SF & Taha M (2003) A Risk Management Framework for Composting Facilities in England and Wales. In: 8th European Biosolids Organic Residuals Conference and Exhibition, Wakefield, UK, 23 November 2003.
- Ramos M, Quinton JN & Tyrrel SF (2002) Effects of cattle manure application on erosion rates and runoff. In: International Symposium on Sustainable Use & Management of Soils in Arid & Semiarid Regions, Murcia, Spain, 1 July 2002.
- Tyrrel SF, Leeds-Harrison PB, Thorn P, Brierley EDR, Martin PJ, Seymour I & Stephens W (2001) Land-based landfill leachate treatment with systems vegetated with grass and trees. In: Abstract : Sardinia 2001, Eighth International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, Sardinia, 1 July 2001.
- Tyrrel SF, Leeds-Harrison PB, Thorn P, Brierley EDR, Martin PJ, Seymour IL & Stephens W (2001) Land-based landfill leachate treatment with systems vegetated with grass and trees.. In: Sardinia 2001, Eighth International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium (Eds T. H. Christensen, R. Cossu and R. Stegmann); Leachate and Landfill Gas., Sardinia, 1 January 2001.
- Tyrrel SF, Leeds-Harrison PB, Harrison KS & Lowe M (1995) Landfill leachate treatment by irrigation onto vegetated treatment planes.. In: Agricultural and Biological Engineering: New Horizons, New Challenges: proceedings of International Conference at University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, September., UK, 1 July 1995.
- Tyrrel SF, Leeds-Harrison PB, Harrison KS & Lowe M (1994) Overland flow: a low technology approach to landfill leachate treatment. In: Engineering for Profit from Waste IV: proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers conference, C493/008, UK, 1 July 1994.
- Leeds-Harrison PB, Tyrrel SF, Harrison KS & Lowe M (1993) Hydrological considerations in the design of overland flow systems for the treatment of landfill leachate. In: Environmental Engineering: proceedings of 1st International Conference on at De Montfort University, Leicester, September 1993, UK, 1 July 1993.