Contact Professor Ronald Corstanje
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754817
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Digital Agriculture
- Natural capital
- Plants and microbes
- Soil Resources
- Sustainable Land Systems
- Water Science & Engineering
Professor of Data Sciences at Cranfield and Head of the Centre for Environmental and Agricultural Informatics. He specialises in the application of spatio-temporal models to understand the nature and behaviour of natural systems and processes. He is interested in the application of (spatial) modelling tools to understand the structure and function of environmental systems and processes. Environmental systems are complex, and this expresses itself as complex but determinable spatiotemporal patterns. The application of these approaches has led to significant advances in our understanding on the spatial dynamics of ecosystem services, in particular in Urban areas. Another key area in which these techniques have proven invaluable is in the area of resilience as applied to soil functions, allowing significant insights into the nature and functioning of resilience. Both these areas have significant societal significance, in helping inform how to infer resilience in the natural and man-made systems on which we depend, but also in how to design and plan the built environment to retain the benefits from the natural capital inherent in our greenspaces.
He joined Cranfield in 2008 after periods at Rothamsted Research and the University of Florida. He obtained his PhD from the University of Florida in 2003, Engineering degree from Wageningen University in 1997.
Current and past activities include;
Digital Agriculture; developing agrifood systems models to support sustainable production within its landscape and ecology. Work supported by, BBSRC ‘Soils for Life’ (BB/M011860/: £236k) award (Co-I); Innovate ‘To exploit satellite data for the precision management of grassland systems‘ (£145k; Co-I); AgriEPI block grant £5.5M for equipment on precision agriculture (no PI/Co-I; co-author together with Mouazen and Terry).
Environmental Informatics; modelling and mapping ecosystem goods and services. Work includes; NERC consortium grant ‘Urban Biodiversity Ecosystem Services and Sustainability’ (NE/J015067/1: £3.2M; Co-I and overall project manager; WP lead on modelling); BBSRC grant ‘Fundamental Basis of Soil Biological Resilience’ (BB/J000396/1: £624k; Nottingham lead; Cranfield PI); NERC ‘Ecosystem Services Databank and Visualisation for Terrestrial Informatics’ (NE/L012774/1: £207k; Co-I); NERC ‘Ecosystem Services Scale dependency DTG studentship’ (NE/K501360/1; £77k; PI); NERC ‘Scaling and thresholds in earthworm abundance and diversity in grassland agricultural systems’ (NE/K015338/1: £147k; Natural History Museum lead; Cranfield PI) ; NERC New Investigator grant ‘Towards a general framework to assess scale dependency in environmental covariates’ (NE/H000917/1: £33k; PI); 'A Bayesian Belief network to operationalize the concepts of Soil Quality and Health' (NE/P014313/1; £252,989; Cranfield PI)
Translational Science: Various UK and US government and agency projects (totalling > £ 500k; PI in all excluding Defra) involving data mining, modelling and predictions of ecological systems sustained by soil. Examples include work on Datamining STA performance (SFWMD, State of Florida); modelling global C stocks for bioenergy (Dept. of Energy and Climate Change, UK government); physical indicators of soil quality (Dept for Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs, UK government). Various commercial contracts (totalling £150k, PI in all) with Unilever, G’s growers on Agricultural Informatics, and Mott MacDonald on Ecosystem Services.
Translational research in which bespoke solutions are developed based on core science for industrial, governmental and non-governmental partners and clients.
Articles In Journals
- Todman LC, Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Whitmore AP (2018) Evidence for functional state transitions in intensively-managed soil ecosystems, Scientific Reports, 8 (1) Article No. 11522. Dataset/s: 10.6084/m9.figshare.5982337
- Grafius DR, Corstanje R & Harris JA (2018) Linking ecosystem services, urban form and green space configuration using multivariate landscape metric analysis, Landscape Ecology, Early online.
- Snapir B, Waine TW, Corstanje R, Redfern S, De Silva J & Kirui C (2018) Harvest monitoring of Kenyan tea plantations with X-band SAR, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 11 (3) 930-938.
- Rust W, Holman I, Corstanje R, Bloomfield J & Cuthbert M (2017) A conceptual model for climatic teleconnection signal control on groundwater variability in Europe, Earth-Science Reviews, Early online.
- Campbell G, Lilly GA, Corstanje R, Mayr TR & Black HIJ (2017) Are existing soils data meeting the needs of stakeholders in Europe? An analysis of practical use from policy to field, Land Use Policy, 69 211-223.
- Grafius DR, Corstanje R, Siriwardena GM, Plummer KE & Harris JA (2017) A bird’s eye view: using circuit theory to study urban landscape connectivity for birds, Landscape Ecology, 32 (9) 1771-1787.
- Nor AN, Corstanje R, Harris JA, Grafius DR & Siriwardena GM (2017) Ecological connectivity networks in rapidly expanding cities, Heliyon, 3 (6).
- Muhammad Nor An, Corstanje R, Harris J & Brewer T (2017) Impact of rapid urban expansion on green space structure, Ecological Indicators, 81 (October) 274-284.
- Zawadzka JE, Corstanje R, Fookes J, Nichols J & Harris J (2017) Operationalizing the ecosystems approach: assessing the environmental impact of major infrastructure development, Ecological Indicators, 78 (July) 75-84.
- Corstanje R, Mercer T, Rickson JR, Deeks LK, Newell-Price P, Holman I, Kechavarzi C & Waine TW (2017) Physical soil quality indicators for monitoring British soils, Solid Earth, 8 (5) 1003-1016.
- Fraser FC, Todman LC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Whitmore AP & Ritz K (2016) Distinct respiratory responses of soils to complex organic substrate are governed predominantly by soil architecture and its microbial community, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 103 (December) 493-501.
- Corstanje R, Grafius DR, Zawadzka J, Moreira Barradas J, Vince G, Ivanoff D & Pietro K (2016) A datamining approach to identifying spatial patterns of phosphorus forms in the Stormwater Treatment Areas in the Everglades, US, Ecological Engineering, 97 567-576.
- Grafius D, Corstanje R, Warren P, Evans K, Hancock S & Harris J (2016) The impact of land use/land cover scale on modelling urban ecosystem services, Landscape Ecology, 31 (7) 1509-1522.
- Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Todman LC, Whitmore AP & Ritz K (2016) On the origin of carbon dioxide released from rewetted soils, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 101 (October) 1-5.
- Todman LC, Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Whitmore AP (2016) Defining and quantifying the resilience of responses to disturbance: a conceptual and modelling approach from soil science, Scientific Reports, 6 Article No. 28426.
- Xiong X, Grunwald S, Corstanje R, Yu C & Briznyuk N (2016) Scale-dependent variability of soil organic carbon coupled to land use and land cover, Soil and Tillage Research, 160 101-109.
- Albanito F, Beringer T, Corstanje R, Poulter B, Stephenson A, Zawadzka J & Smith P (2016) Carbon implications of converting cropland to bioenergy crops or forest for climate mitigation: a global assessment, GCB Bioenergy, 8 (1) 81-95.
- K Taalab, R Corstanje, T M Mayr, M J Whelan & R E Creamer (2015) The application of expert knowledge in Bayesian networks to predict soil bulk density at the landscape scale, European Journal of Soil Science, 66 (5) 930-941.
- Taalab K, Corstanje R, Zawadzka J, Mayr T, Whelan MJ, Hannam JA & Creamer R (2015) On the application of Bayesian Networks in Digital Soil Mapping, Geoderma, 259-260 134-148.
- Simo I, Schulte RPO, Corstanje R, Hannam J & and Creamer RE (2015) Validating digital soil maps using soil taxonomic distance: A case study of Ireland., Geoderma Regional, 5 188-197.
- Chiverton A, Hannaford J, Holman IP, Corstanje R, Prudhomme C, Hess TM & Bloomfield JP (2015) Using variograms to detect and attribute hydrological change, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 19 (5) 2395-2408.
- Chiverton A, Hannaford J, Holman I, Corstanje R, Prudhomme C, Bloomfield J & Hess TM (2015) Which catchment characteristics control the temporal dependence structure of daily river flows?, Hydrological Processes, 29 (6) 1353-1369.
- Zawadzka J, Mayr T, Bellamy P & Corstanje R (2015) Comparing physiographic maps with different categorisations, Geomorphology, 231 94-100.
- Corstanje R, Deeks LR, Whitmore AP, Gregory AS & Ritz K (2015) Probing the basis of soil resilience, Soil Use and Management, 31 (S1) 72-81.
- Veronesi F, Corstanje R & Mayr T (2014) Landscape scale estimation of soil carbon stock using 3D modelling, Science of the Total Environment, 487 (1) 578-586.
- Rust W, Corstanje R, Holman IP & Milne AE (2014) Detecting land use and land management influences on catchment hydrology by modelling and wavelets, Journal of Hydrology, 517 378-389.
- Cavazzi S, Corstanje R, Mayr T, Hannam J & Fealy R (2013) Are fine resolution digital elevation models always the best choice in digital soil mapping?, Geoderma, 195-196 111-121.
- Taalab K, Corstanje R, Creamer R & Whelan M (2013) Modeling soil bulk density at the landscape scale and its contributions to C stock uncertainty, Biogeosciences, 10 (7) 4691-4704.
- Kral F, Corstanje R, Veronesi F & White JR (2012) A Geostatistical Analysis of Wetland Soil Properties in the Davis Pond Mississippi River Freshwater Diversion., Soil Science Society of America Journal, 76 (3) 1107-1118.
- Veronesi F, Corstanje R & Mayr T (2012) Mapping soil compaction in 3D with depth functions., Soil and Tillage Research, 124 111-118.
- Dunne EJ, Clark MW, Corstanje R & Reddy KR (2011) Legacy phosphorus in subtropical wetland soils: influence of dairy, improved and unimproved pasture landuse, Ecological Engineering, 37 (10) 1481-1491.
- Bostic EM, White JR, Reddy KR & Corstanje R (2010) Redistribution of Wetland Soil Phosphorus Ten Years after the Conclusion of Nutrient Loading, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 74 1808-1815.
- Savvides A, Corstanje R, Baxter SJ, Rawlings BG & Lark RM (2010) The relationship between diffuse spectral reflectance of the soil and its cation exchange capacity is scale-dependent., Geoderma, 154 (3-4) 353-358.
- Wright AL, Reddy KR & Corstanje R (2009) Patterns of heterotrophic microbial activity in eutrophic and oligotrophic peatlands., European Journal of Soil Biology, 45 (2) 131-137.
- Lark RM & Corstanje R (2009) " Lark, R.M and R. Corstanje. Non-homogeneity of variance components from spatially nested sampling of the soil., European Journal of Soil Science, 60 (3) 443-452.
- Corstanje R, Portier KM & Reddy KR (2009) Discriminant analysis of biogeochemical indicators of nutrient enrichment in Florida wetlands., European Journal of Soil Science, 60 (6) 974-981.
- Marchant BP, Newman S, Corstanje R & Reddy KR (2009) Spatial monitoring of a non-stationary soil property: phosphorus in a Florida Water Conservation Area., European Journal of Soil Science, 60 (5) 757-769.
- White JR, Gardner LM, Sees M & Corstanje R (2008) The Short-Term Effects of Prescribed Burning on Biomass Removal and the Release of Nitrogen and Phosphorus in a Treatment Wetland, Journal of Environmental Quality, 37 (6) 2386-2391.
- Corstanje R, Kirk GJD & Lark RM (2008) The behaviour of soil process models of ammonia volatilization at contrasting spatial scales, European Journal of Soil Science, 59 (6) 1271-1283.
- Corstanje R, Kirk GJD, Pawlett M, Read R & Lark RM (2008) Spatial variation of ammonia volatilization from soil and its scale dependent correlation with soil properties, European Journal of Soil Science, 59 (6) 1260-1270.
- Corstanje R, Grunwald S & Lark RM (2008) Inferences from fluctuations in the local variogram about the assumption of stationarity in the variance., Geoderma, 143 (1-2) 123-132.
- Corstanje R & Lark RM (2008) On effective linearity of soil process models., European Journal of Soil Science, 59 (5) 990-999.
- Corstanje R, Schulin R & Lark RM (2007) Scale dependent relationships between urease activity and soil organic carbon., European Journal of Soil Science, 58 (5) 1087-1095.
- Corstanje R, Portier KM & Reddy KR (2007) Soil microbial ecophysiology of a wetland recovering from phosphorus eutrophication, Wetlands, 27 (4) 1046-1055.
- Corstanje R, Reddy KR, Prenger JP, Newman S & Ogram AV (2007) Soil microbial eco-physiological response to nutrient enrichment., Ecological Indicators, 7 (2) 277-289.
- Corstanje R & Reddy KR (2006) Microbial indicators of nutrient enrichment: a mesocosm study., Soil Science Society of America Journal, 70 1652-1661.
- Corstanje R, Grunwald S & Reddy KR (2006) Assessment of the spatial distribution of soil properties in a northern Everglades marsh., Journal of Environmental Quality, 35 938-949.
- Corstanje R, Reddy KR & Portier KM (2006) Typha latifolia and Cladium jamaicense litter decay in response to exogenous nutrient enrichment., Aquatic Botany, 84 70-78.
- Grunwald S, Corstanje R, Weinrich B & Reddy KR (2006) Spatial Patterns of Labile Pools of Phosphorus in Surface Soils of a Subtropical Wetland after Cessation of Nutrient Loading., Journal of Environmental Quality, 35 378-389.
- Corstanje R & Reddy KR (2004) Response of biogeochemical indicators to a drawdown and subsequent reflood., Journal of Environmental Quality, 33 2357-2366.
- Boeije G, Corstanje R, Rottiers R & Schowanek D (1999) Adaptation of the CAS test system and synthetic sewage for biological nutrient removal. Part I : Development of a new synthetic sewage., Chemosphere, 38 (4) 699-709.
- Rottiers R, Corstanje R, Boeije G, Feijtel TCJ & Schowanek D (1999) Adaptation of the CAS test system and synthetic sewage for biological nutrient removal. Part II : Design and validation of test units., Chemosphere, 38 (4) 711-727.
- Simo I, Constanje R, Fealy R, Hallett SH, Hannam J, Holden N, Jahns G, Jones B, Massey P, Mayr T, McDonald E, Reidy B, Schulte R, Sills P, Spaargaren O, Zawadka J & Creamer RE (2014) Mapping Soils in Ireland. In: GlobalSoilMap: Basis of the global spatial soil information system, CRC Press.
- Rivas Casado M, Corstanje R, Bellamy P & Marchant B (2013) Issues of sampling design in wetlands. In: Methods in Biogeochemistry of Wetlands. DeLaune RD, Reddy KR, Richardson CJ, Megonigal JP (ed.), Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin, USA., p. 1-11.
- Mayr T, Rivas Casado M, Bellamy P, Palmer R, Zawadzka J & Corstanje R (2010) Two methods for using legacy data in digital soil mapping. In: Digital soil mapping: bridging research, environmental application, and operation. Boettinger JL, Howell DW, Moore AC, Hartemink AE, Kienast-Brown S (ed.), Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer, p. 191-202.
- Portier KM & Corstanje R (2007) Issues of Study Design and Statistical Analysis for Environmental Microbiology. In: Manual of Environmental Microbiology, ASM Press.
- Ogram AV, Bridgham S, Corstanje R, Drake H, Kusel A, Mills A, Newman S, Portier KM & Wetzel R (2006) Linkages between microbial community composition and biogeochemical processes across scales. Wetlands as a natural resources.. In: Ecological Studies, Springer, p. 239-268.
- Inglet PI, Reddy KR & Corstanje R (2004) Anaerobosis. In: Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment., Elsevier, p. 71-78.