Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Industrial Automation
BackgroundPhil moved to Cranfield in 2009 and holds the Royal Academy of Engineering and Airbus Chair in Aero-structure Design. He was previously an Associate Professor and the head of the Robotics Research Group at the University of Nottingham.
For the last 13 years Phil has been conducting research into the application of automation to aircraft and aero-engine structural assembly. During this time he has worked with most of the world’s leading aerospace companies. He has completed many research projects including fuselage assembly, robotic riveting, engine structural assembly, wing and pylon systems installation and robotic plasma welding and has obtained significant research funding from Industry, EPSRC and the European Framework programmes. His other research interests are the application and optimisation of Parallel Kinematic Machines within aerospace manufacturing and mobile robotics.
Phil is a member of the Council of the British Automation and Robotics Association and represents the UK on the General Assembly of the International Federation of Robotics. He is also a member of the SAE Automated Assembly and Fastening Committee.
Current activitiesPhil is the head of the Integrated Systems Department and leads the Aero-structure Assembly and Systems Installation Research Group and is currently leading a number of projects on aero-structure assembly and aircraft systems installation. As the Deputy Director of the EPSRC Centre in Intelligent Automation is involved in a significant number of projects on advanced automation and especially human collaborative automation and robotics.
ClientsMajor Clients include:
- Airbus Operations
- BAE Systems.
Articles In Journals
- Ramji A, Xu Y, Grasso M, Yasaee M & Webb P (2021) Effect of interfacial fibre orientation and PPS veil density on delamination resistance of 5HS woven CFRP laminates under mode II loading, Composites Science and Technology, 207 (May) Article No. 108735.
- Asif S & Webb P (2021) Kinematics analysis of 6-DoF articulated robot with spherical wrist, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2021 Article No. 6647035.
- Ramji A, Xu Y, Yasaee M, Grasso M & Webb P (2020) Delamination migration in CFRP laminates under mode I loading, Composites Science and Technology, 190 (April) Article No. 108067.
- Tang G, Webb P & Thrower J (2019) The development and evaluation of Robot Light Skin: A novel robot signalling system to improve communication in industrial human–robot collaboration, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 56 (April) 85-94. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7314548
- Rai V, Ghasemnejad H, Watson JW, Gonzalez-Domingo & Webb PF (2019) Developed trigger mechanisms to improve crush force efficiency of aluminium tubes, Engineering Structures, 199 (November) Article No. 109620.
- Coladas Mato P, Webb P, Xu Y, Graham D, Portsmore A & Preston E (2019) Enhanced bondline thickness analysis for non-rigid airframe structural assemblies, Aerospace Science and Technology, 91 434-441.
- Sonmez MB, Ghasemnejad H, Kamran H & Webb PF (2019) Transverse impact response analysis of graphene panels: Impact limits, Open Journal of Composite Materials, 9 (2) 124-144.
- Tang G & Webb P (2018) The design and evaluation of an ergonomic contactless gesture control system for industrial robots, Journal of Robotics, 2018 Article No. 9791286.
- Charalambous G, Fletcher SR & Webb P (2017) The development of a Human Factors Readiness Level tool for implementing industrial human-robot collaboration, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 91 (5-8) 2465-2475.
- Charalambous G, Fletcher S & Webb P (2016) The development of a scale to evaluate trust in industrial human-robot collaboration, International Journal of Social Robotics, 8 (2) 193-209.
- Judt D, Forster K, Lockett H, Lawson C & Webb P (2016) Aircraft wing build philosophy change through system pre-equipping of major components, SAE International Journal of Aerospace, 9 (1) 190-197.
- Asif S & Webb P (2016) Contactless Medium Scale Industrial Robot Collaboration, Advances in Robotics & Automation, 5:145.
- Prabhu VA, Song B, Thrower J, Tiwari A & Webb P (2016) Digitisation of a moving assembly operation using multiple depth imaging sensors, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 85 (1) 163-184.
- Asif S & Webb P (2016) Enhanced cell controller for aerospace manufacturing, Advances in Robotics & Automation, 5 (2) Article No. 1000147.
- Tang G, Asif S & Webb P (2015) The Integration of Contactless Static Pose Recognition and Dynamic Hand Motion Tracking Control System for Industrial Human and Robot Collaboration, Industrial Robot: An International Journal, 42 (5) 416-428.
- Webb P, Asif S, Hogger S, Kosche T & Kiernan P (2015) Advanced flexible automation cell control for aerospace manufacturing, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 87 (2) 156-164.
- Asif S & Webb P (2015) Software System Integration - Middleware - An Overview, International Journal of Computer Applications, 121 (5) 27-29.
- Charalambous G, Fletcher S & Webb P (2015) Identifying the key organisational human factors for introducing human-robot collaboration in industry: an exploratory study, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 81 (9) 2143-2155.
- Jones M, Webb P, Summers M, Baguley P & Valerdi R (2015) A Cost Benefit Framework for Assessing Advanced Manufacturing Technology Development: A Case Study, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 229 (9) 1654-1668.
- Asif S & Webb P (2015) Networked control system – an overview, International Journal of Computer Applications, 115 (6) 26-30.
- Jones MB, Webb PF, Summers MD & Baguley P (2014) COTECHMO: The Constructive Technology Cost Model, Journal of Cost Analysis and Parametrics, 7 (1) 48-69.
- To M & Webb P (2012) An improved kinematic model for calibration of serial robots having closed-chain mechanisms, Robotica, 30 (6) 963-971.
- Evans L, Lohse N, Tan KH, Webb P & Summers M (2012) Justification for the selection of manufacturing technologies: a fuzzy-decision-tree-based approach, International Journal of Production Research, 50 (23) 6945-6962.
- McKeown C & Webb P (2011) A reactive reconfigurable tool for aerospace structures, Assembly Automation, 31 (4) 334-343.
- Jayaweera N & Webb P (2011) Robotic edge profiling of complex components, Industrial Robot: An International Journal, 38 (1) 38-47.
- Short AB, McCartney DG, Webb P & Preston E (2011) Influence of nozzle orifice diameter in keyhole plasma arc welding, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 16 (5) 446-452.
- Jayaweera N & Webb P (2010) Metrology-assisted robotic processing of aerospace applications, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 23 (3) 283-296.
- Eastwood SJ & Webb P (2010) A gravitational deflection compensation strategy for HPKMs, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 26 (6) 694-702.
- Jayaweera N, Webb P & Johnson C (2010) Measurement assisted robotic assembly of fabricated aero-engine components, Assembly Automation, 30 (1) 56-65.
- Jayaweera N & Webb P (2010) Measurement assisted robotic edge deburring of aero engine components, WSEAS Transactions on Systems and Control, 5 (3) 174-183.
- Mirhosseyni SHL & Webb P (2009) A Hybrid Fuzzy Knowledge-Based Expert System and Genetic Algorithm for efficient selection and assignment of Material Handling Equipment, Expert Systems with Applications, 36 (9) 11875-11887.
- Ye C & Webb P (2009) A sub goal seeking approach for reactive navigation in complex unknown environments, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 57 (9) 877-888.
- Eastwood S & Webb P (2009) Error significance analysis and compensation for HPKMs, Industrial Robot: An International Journal, 36 (1) 27-35.
- Jayaweera N & Webb P (2007) Adaptive robotic assembly of compliant aero-structure components, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 23 (2) 180-194.
- Jayaweera N & Webb P (2007) Automated assembly of fuselage skin panels, Assembly Automation, 27 (4) 343-355.
- Fayad C & Webb P (2006) Development of a hybrid crisp-fuzzy logic algorithm optimised by genetic algorithms for path-planning of an autonomous mobile robot, Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, 17 (1) 15-26.
- Gao J, Webb P & Gindy N (2005) Research on an inertial positioning system for a parallel kinematic machine, Mechatronics, 15 (1) 1-22.
- Webb P, Eastwood S, Jayaweera N & Chen Y (2005) Automated aerostructure assembly, Industrial Robot: An International Journal, 32 (5) 383-387.
- Webb P & Eastwood SJ (2004) An evaluation of a TI2 manufacturing system for the machining of airframe subassemblies, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 218 (7) 819-826.
- Gao J, Webb P & Gindy N (2003) Error reduction for an inertial-sensor-based dynamic parallel kinematic machine positioning system, Measurement Science and Technology, 14 (5) 543-550.
- Geldart M, Webb P, Larsson H, Backstrom M, Gindy N & Rask K (2003) A direct comparison of the machining performance of a variax 5 axis parallel kinetic machining centre with conventional 3 and 5 axis machine tools, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 43 (11) 1107-1116.
- Eastwood SJ, Webb P & McKeown C (2003) The use of the TI2 manufacturing system on a double-curvature aerospace panel, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 217 (6) 849-855.
- Webb P & Wykes C (2001) Analysis of fast accurate low ambiguity beam forming for non lambda/2 ultrasonic arrays, Ultrasonics, 39 (1) 69-78.
- Webb P (1998) An integrated system for the sensor processing and control of robot systems, Microprocessors and Microsystems, 21 (6) 383-391.
- Webb P & Wykes C (1996) High-resolution beam forming for ultrasonic arrays, Ieee Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 12 (1) 138-146.
- Webb P & Wykes C (1995) Suppression of 2nd-time-around echoes in high firing rate ultrasonic transducers, NDT & E International, 28 (2) 89-93.
- Webb P, Gibson I & Wykes C (1994) Robot guidance using ultrasonic arrays, Journal of Robotic Systems, 11 (8) 681-692.
- Charalambous G, Fletcher S & Webb PF (2016) Development of a human factors roadmap for the successful implementation of industrial human-robot collaboration. In: AHFE 2016 International Conference on Human Aspects of Advanced Manufacturing, Florida, 27-31 July 2016.
- Tang G, Charalambous G, Webb P & Fletcher SR (2014) Users' understanding of industrial robot gesture motions and effects on trust. In: International Conference on Ergonomics and Human Factors 2014, Southampton, 7-10 April 2014.
- Seemal Asif & Phil Webb (2013) An improved cell controller for the aerospace manufacturing. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19 September 2013.
- Charalambous G, Fletcher SR & Webb P (2013) Human-automation collaboration in manufacturing: Identifying key implementation factors. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19-20 September 2013.
- Asif S & Webb P (2012) Advanced flexible automation cell. In: 6th European Aeronautics Days, Madrid, 30 March - 1 April 2011.
- Jones M, Webb P, Summers M & Baguley P (2012) A manufacturing technology readiness impact assessment transitional framework. In: 2012 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 2-10 March 2012.
- Walton M, Fletcher SR & Webb P (2012) Developing true cooperation between human operators and robots in assembly work systems: a proxemic study. In: 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR2012), Aston University, 11 September 2012.
- Jayaweera Nirosh & Webb Phil (2010) Measurement assisted automated robotic edge deburring of complex components. In: 9th WSEAS International Conference on Signal Process, Robotics and Automation, 2009, Cambridge, 20-22 February 2010.
- Short A, McCartney DG, Webb P & Preston E (2009) Parametric Envelopes for Keyhole Plasma Arc Welding of a Titanium Alloy. In: 8th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research, Pine Mountain, Georgia, 1-6 June 2008.
- Gao J, Webb P & Gindy N (2003) An inertial-sensor-based dynamic measurement system for parallel kinematic machine. In: ICOM 2003 - International Conference on Mechatronics, Loughborough, 3 March 2003.
- Gao J, Webb P & Gindy N (2001) Inertial sensors error modelling and data correction for the position measurement of parallel kinematics machines. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001 - 6 September 2011.
- Fayad C & Webb P (2000) Fuzzy logic based collision avoidance algorithm for a mobile robot. In: Recent advances in soft computing '99; Soft computing techniques and applications, Leicester, UK.
- Webb P & Robson JI (1998) An intuitive control and sensory system for the enhancement of remotely controlled vehicle operation.. In: 6th UK Mechatronics Forum International Conference, Skovde, 9-11 September 1998.
- Tang G & Webb P (2019) Chapter 5: Human-robot shared workspace in aerospace factories. In: Human-Robot Interaction: Safety, Standardization, and Benchmarking, New York: Chapman and Hall/CRC.
- Fletcher SR & Webb P (2017) Industrial robot ethics: facing the challenges of human-robot collaboration in future manufacturing systems. In: A World with Robots: International Conference on Robot Ethics: ICRE 2015, London: Springer, p. 159-169.
- Johnson TL, Fletcher S & Webb PF (2016) Investigating the effects of signal light position on human workload and reaction time in human-robot collaboration tasks. In: Advances in Ergonomics of Manufacturing: Managing the Enterprise of the Future: Proceedings of the AHFE 2016 International Conference on Human Aspects of Advanced Manufacturing, July 27-31, 2016, Walt Disney World®, Florida, USA, Springer, p. 207-215.