Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Environmental Impacts
- Environmental Policy
- Natural capital
- Soil Resources
- Sustainable Land Systems
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
- Water Science and Engineering
Jim's first degree was in Applied Biology at North East London Polytechnic, specialising in plant biochemistry. This was followed by his doctoral work in the microbiology of stored topsoil on opencast mine sites.
Jim is best known for his work in ecological restoration and systems ecology, particularly in characterising the role of the soil microbial community to provide unambiguous signals of the state of ecosystems across the land use spectrum, and more broadly the role of complexity in ecological restoration and the resilience of ecosystems. This broad set of interests is a strength – often insights from one discipline or area can galvanise another (e.g. my work for Lloyd’s Register on their seminal “Engineering Resilience” Report). His work has informed the development of principles, guidance and standards locally, nationally, regionally and internationally, and bridged the gap between reporting what we know of the state of land systems to clear prescriptions for restoring ecosystem structure and function. His work has spanned academia, industry, government and the third sector, and is reflected in the roles and responsibilities I have held in a variety of programmes and organisations, such as the Society for Ecological Restoration, the British Society of Soil Science, the British Ecological Society and the Institution of Agricultural Engineers.
Jim was appointed Chair in Environmental Technology at Cranfield in January 2002.
Professor Jim Harris' research is focused on microbial ecology and how the diversity of the microbiota and their spatio-temporal distribution affect ecosystem processes. He has applied this particularly in studying soil forming processes in disturbed landscapes and their role in organic matter dynamics; in the assessment and treatment of wastes such as landfill leachate and other wastewaters; restoration ecology and in the quantitative assessment of ecosystem goods and services.
This work has been funded by BBSRC, NERC and EPSRC, local and central government, and industry and has informed government policy, industrial practices and academic disciplines ranging from terrestrial ecology to engineered ecosystems in treatment processes.
Other research he is involved in focusses on how ecosystem principles can be used in managing modern society - from land restoration, through water treatment to the design of urban systems.
- ACO ltd
- British Coal
- Cleanaway Ltd
- Environment Agency
- Natural England
- Foriegn and Commenwealth Office
- Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology
- Local Authorities
- European Union
- Home Grown Cereals Authority
- The Royal Society
- Land Use Consultants
Articles In Journals
- Fane S, Vale P, Bajón-Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Nocker A, Harris J & Tyrrel S (2019) Influence of innate sludge factors and ambient environmental parameters in biosolids storage on indicator bacteria survival: A review, Waste and Biomass Valorization, Published online 31 October 2019.
- Sykes AJ, Macleod M, Eory V, Rees RM, Payena F, Myrgiotis V, Williams M, Sohi S, Hillier J, Moran D, Manning DAC, Goglio P, Seghetta M, Williams A , Harris J, Dondini M, Walton J, House J & Smith P (2019) Characterising the biophysical, economic and social impacts of soil carbon sequestration as a greenhouse gas removal technology, Global Change Biology, Available online 18 September.
- Hassall KL, Dailey G, Zawadzka J, Milne AE, Harris JA, Corstanje R & Whitmore AP (2019) Facilitating the elicitation of beliefs for use in Bayesian Belief modelling, Environmental Modelling and Software, 122 (December) Article No. 104539.
- Radujković D, van Diggelen R, Bobbink R, Weijters M, Harris J, Pawlett M, Vicca S & Verbruggen E (2019) Initial soil community drives heathland fungal community trajectory over multiple years through altered plant-soil interactions, New Phytologist, Available online 30 September 2019.
- Zawadzka J, Corstanje R, Harris J & Truckell I (2019) Downscaling Landsat-8 land surface temperature maps in diverse urban landscapes using multivariate adaptive regression splines and very high resolution auxiliary data, International Journal of Digital Earth, Available online 25 March 2019.
- Norton BA, Bending GD, Clark R, Corstanje R, Dunnett N, Evans KL, Grafius DR, Gravestock E, Grice SM, Harris JA, Hilton S, Hoyle H, Lim E, Mercer TG, Pawlett M, Pescott OL, Richards JP, Southon GE & Warren PH (2019) Urban meadows as an alternative to short mown grassland: effects of composition and height on biodiversity, Ecological Applications, Early online (6) Article No. e01946. Dataset/s: 10.5285/d0741544-cdf3-497d-996b-e30b4b7373c1
- Grafius D, Corstanje R, Warren PH, Evans KL, Norton BA, Siriwardena GM, Pescott OL, Plummer KE, Mears M, Zawadzka J, Richards JP & Harris JA (2019) Using GIS-linked Bayesian belief networks as a tool for modelling urban biodiversity, Landscape and Urban Planning, 189 (September) 382-395. Dataset/s: 10.5285/c4806e25-5325-4b01-8066-91a8fb55eb41
- Fane S, Madureira D, Nocker A, Vale P, Rivas Casado M, Wilson A, Bajón-Fernández Y, Harris J, Cartmell E & Tyrrel S (2019) Disruption of cells in biosolids affects E. coli dynamics in storage, H2Open Journal, 2 (1) 101-112.
- van der Bij AU, Weijters MJ, Bobbink R, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K, Benetková P, Moradi J, Frouz J & van Diggelen R (2018) Facilitating ecosystem assembly: Plant-soil interactions as a restoration tool, Biological Conservation, 220 (April) 272-279.
- Higgs E, Harris J, Murphy S, Bowers K, Hobbs R, Jenkins W, Kidwell J, Lopoukhine N, Sollereder B, Suding K, Thompson A & Whisenant S (2018) The evolution of Society for Ecological Restoration's principles and standards - counter-response to Gann et al., Restoration Ecology, 26 (3) 431-433.
- Ameh EM, Tyrrel S, Harris J, Ignatiou A, Orlova E & Nocker A (2018) The absence or presence of a lytic coliphage affects the response of Escherichia coli to heat, chlorine, or UV exposure, Folia Microbiologica, 63 (5) 599-606.
- Dudley N, Bhagwat SA, Harris J, Maginnis S, Moreno JG, Mueller GM, Oldfield S & Walters G (2018) Measuring progress in status of land under forest landscape restoration using abiotic and biotic indicators, Restoration Ecology, 26 (1) 5-12.
- Higgs ES, Harris JA, Heger T, Hobbs RJ, Murphy SD & Suding KN (2018) Keep ecological restoration open and flexible, Nature Ecology and Evolution, 2 (April) 580-580.
- Grafius DR, Corstanje R & Harris JA (2018) Linking ecosystem services, urban form and green space configuration using multivariate landscape metric analysis, Landscape Ecology, 33 (4) 557-573.
- Higgs E, Harris J, Murphy S, Bowers K, Hobbs R, Jenkins W, Kidwell J, Lopoukhine N, Sollereder B, Suding K, Thompson A & Whisenant S (2018) On principles and standards in ecological restoration, Restoration Ecology, 26 (3) 399-403.
- Todman LC, Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Whitmore AP (2018) Evidence for functional state transitions in intensively-managed soil ecosystems, Scientific Reports, 8 (1) Article No. 11522. Dataset/s: 10.6084/m9.figshare.5982337
- van der Bij AU, Pawlett M, Harris JA, Ritz K & van Diggelen R (2017) Soil microbial community assembly precedes vegetation development after drastic techniques to mitigate effects of nitrogen deposition, Biological Conservation, 212 (Part B) 476-483.
- Sirakaya A, Cliquet A & Harris J (2017) Ecosystem services in cities: towards the international legal protection of ecosystem services in urban environments, Ecosystem Services, 29, Pt.B (February) 205-212.
- Zawadzka JE, Corstanje R, Fookes J, Nichols J & Harris J (2017) Operationalizing the ecosystems approach: assessing the environmental impact of major infrastructure development, Ecological Indicators, 78 (July) 75-84.
- Holden J, Haygarth PM, Dunn N, Harris J, Harris RC, Humble A, Jenkins A, MacDonald J, McGonigle DF, Meacham T & Orr HG (2017) Water quality and UK agriculture: challenges and opportunities, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water, 4 (2, e1201).
- Muhammad Nor An, Corstanje R, Harris J & Brewer T (2017) Impact of rapid urban expansion on green space structure, Ecological Indicators, 81 (October) 274-284. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5012015
- Grafius DR, Corstanje R, Siriwardena GM, Plummer KE & Harris JA (2017) A bird’s eye view: using circuit theory to study urban landscape connectivity for birds, Landscape Ecology, 32 (9) 1771-1787.
- Nor AN, Corstanje R, Harris JA, Grafius DR & Siriwardena GM (2017) Ecological connectivity networks in rapidly expanding cities, Heliyon, 3 (6).
- Fraser FC, Todman LC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Whitmore AP & Ritz K (2016) Distinct respiratory responses of soils to complex organic substrate are governed predominantly by soil architecture and its microbial community, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 103 (December) 493-501.
- Durenkamp M, Pawlett M, Ritz K, Harris JA, Neal AL & McGrath SP (2016) Nanoparticles within WWTP sludges have minimal impact on leachate quality and soil microbial community structure and function, Environmental Pollution, 211 (April) 339-405.
- Grafius D, Corstanje R, Warren P, Evans K, Hancock S & Harris J (2016) The impact of land use/land cover scale on modelling urban ecosystem services, Landscape Ecology, 31 (7) 1509-1522.
- Wagner AM, Larson DL, DalSoglio JA, Harris JA, Labus P, Rosi-Marshall EJ & Skrabis KE. (2016) A framework for establishing restoration goals for contaminated ecosystems, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 12 (2) 264-272.
- Todman LC, Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Whitmore AP (2016) Defining and quantifying the resilience of responses to disturbance: a conceptual and modelling approach from soil science, Scientific Reports, 6 Article No. 28426.
- Kotiaho JS, ten Brink B & Harris JA (2016) Land use: A global baseline for ecosystem recovery, Nature, 532 (7597) 37-37.
- Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Todman LC, Whitmore AP & Ritz K (2016) On the origin of carbon dioxide released from rewetted soils, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 101 (October) 1-5.
- Graves A, Morris J, Deeks L, Rickson RJ, Kibblewhite M, Harris J, Farewell T & Truckle I. (2015) The total costs of soil degradation in England and Wales, Ecological Economics, 119 399-413.
- Rickson RJ, Deeks LK, Graves A, Harris JAH, Kibblewhite MG & Sakrabani R (2015) Input constraints to food production: the impact of soil degradation, Food Security, 7 (2) 351-364.
- Rawlins BG, Harris J, Price S & Bartlett M (2015) A review of climate change impacts on urban soil functions with examples and policy insights from England, UK, Soil Use and Management, 31 (S1) 46-61.
- Gregory AS, Ritz K, Mcgrath SP, Quinton JN, Goulding KWT, Jones RJA, Harris JA, Bol R, Wallace P, Pilgrim ES & Whitmore AP. (2015) A review of the impacts of degradation threats on soil properties in the UK, Soil Use and Management, 31 (S1) 1-15.
- Temperton VM, Higgs E, Choi YD, Allen E, Lamb D, Lee C-S, Harris J, Hobbs RJ & Zedler JB (2014) Flexible and Adaptable Restoration: An Example from South Korea, Restoration Ecology, 22 (3) 271-278.
- Raffaelli D, Bullock JM, Cinderby S, Durance I, Emmett B, Harris J, Hicks K, Oliver TH, Paterson D & White PCL (2014) Big Data and Ecosystem Research Programmes, Advances in Ecological Research, 51 41-77.
- Courtney R, Harris JA & Pawlett M (2014) Microbial community composition in a rehabilitated bauxite residue disposal area: a case study for improving microbial community composition, Restoration Ecology, 22 (6) 798-805.
- Standish RJ, Hobbs RJ, Mayfield MM, Bestelmeyer BT, Suding KN, Battaglia LL, Eviner V, Hawkes CV, Temperton VM, Cramer V, Harris JA, Funk JL & Thomas PA (2014) Resilience in ecology: abstraction, distraction, or where the action is?, Biological Conservation, 177 43-51.
- Hobbs RJ, Higgs E, Hall CM, Bridgewater P, Chapin III FS, Ellis EC, Ewel JJ, Hallett LM, Harris J, Hulvey KB, Jackson ST, Kennedy PL, Kueffer C, Lach L, Lantz TC, Lugo AE, Mascaro J, Murphy SD, Nelson CR, Perring MP, Richardson DM, Seastedt TR, Standish RJ, Starzomski BM, Suding KN, Tognetti PM, Yakob L & Yung L (2014) Managing the whole landscape: historical, hybrid, and novel ecosystems, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 12 (10) 557-564.
- Hobbs RJ, Higgs ES & Harris JA (2014) Novel ecosystems: Concept or inconvenient reality? A response to Murcia et al, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 29 (12) 645-646.
- Higgs Eric, Falk Donald A., Guerrini Anita, Hall Marcus, Harris Jim, Hobbs Richard J., Jackson Stephen T., Rhemtulla Jeanine M. & Throop William (2014) The changing role of history in restoration ecology, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 12 (9) 499-506.
- Pawlett M, Ritz K, Dorey RA, Rocks S, Ramsden J & Harris JA (2013) The impact of Zero-valent Iron Nanoparticles upon Soil Microbial Communities is Context Dependent, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 20 (2) 1041-1049.
- Crawford JW, Deacon L, Grinev D, Harris JA, Ritz K, Singh BK & Young I (2012) Microbial diversity affects self-organization of the soil-microbe system with consequences for function, Interface, 9 (71) 1302-1310.
- Harris JA, Baptista JDC, Curtis TP, Nelson AK, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Tyrrel SF. (2012) Engineering difference: Matrix design determines community composition in wastewater treatment systems, Ecological Engineering, 40 183-188.
- Harris JA, Ritz K, Coucheney E, Grice SM, Lerch TZ, Pawlett M & Herrmann A. (2012) The thermodynamic efficiency of soil microbial communities subject to long-term stress is lower than those under conventional input regimes, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 47 149-157.
- Martinez ML, Feagin RA, Yeager KM, Day J, Costanza R, Harris JA, Hobbs RJ, Lopez-Portillo J, Walker IJ, Higgs E, Moreno-Casasola P, Sheinbaum J & Yanez-Arancibia A (2012) Artificial modifications of the coast in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill: quick solutions or long-term liabilities?, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 10 (1) 44-49.
- Harris JA, Tyrrel SF, Ritz K, Lanigan GJ, Griffiths BS, Brennan FP, Bourdin F, Massey PA, Moynihan EL, Rogers NE, Kibblewhite MG, Pawlett M, Sakrabani R, Hoekstra NJ, Creamer RE, Schulte RPO & Richards KG (2011) Does soil biology hold the key to optimized slurry management? A manifesto for research, Soil Use and Management, 27 (4) 464-469.
- Alexander S, Nelson CR, Aronson J, Lamb D, Cliquet A, Erwin KL, Finlayson CM, de Groot RS, Harris JA, Higgs ES, Hobbs RJ, Robin Lewis RR, Martinez D & Murcia C (2011) Opportunities and challenges for ecological restoration within REDD+, Restoration Ecology, 19 (6) 683-689.
- Hardwick KA, Fiedler P, Lee LC, Pavlik B, Hobbs RJ, Aronson J, Bidartondo M, Black E, Coates D, Daws MI, Dixon K, Elliott S, Ewing K, Gann G, Gibbons D, Gratzfeld J, Hamilton M, Hardman D, Harris J, Holmes PM, Jones M, Mabberley D, Mackenzie A, Magdalena C, Marrs R, Milliken W, Mills A, Lughadha EN, Ramsay M, Smith P, Taylor N, Trivedi C, Way M, Whaley O & Hopper SD (2011) The Role of Botanic Gardens in the Science and Practice of Ecological Restoration | El Papel de los Jardines Botánicos en la Ciencia y Práctica de la Restauración Ecológica, Conservation Biology, 25 (2) 265-275.
- Harris Jim & Tewdwr-Jones Mark (2010) Ecosystem services and planning, Town and Country Planning -London- Town and Country Planning Association-, 77 222-226.
- Cliquet A, Harris J, Howsam P & Backes C. (2010) Response to ‘Protected areas and climate change Reflections from a practitioner’s perspective’, Utrecht Law Review, 6 (1) 149-150.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ, Ritz K & (2010) Effects of soil-surface microbial community phenotype upon physical and hydrological properties of an arable soil: a microcosm study., European Journal of Soil Science, 61 (4) 493-503.
- Creamer RE, Bellamy P, Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Chamberlain P, Harris J, Parekh N, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Stone D & Ritz K (2009) An inter-laboratory comparison of multi-enzyme and multiple substrate-induced respiration assays to assess method consistency in soil monitoring, Biology and Fertility of Soils, 45 (6) 623-633.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2009) The spectral quality of light influences the temporal development of the microbial phenotype at the arable soil surface., Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 41 (3) 553-560.
- Cliquet A, Backes C, Harris J & Howsam P (2009) Adaptation to climate change: legal challenges for protected areas, Utrecht Law Review, 5 (1) 158-175.
- Ritz K, Black HIJ, Campbell CD, Harris JA & Wood C (2009) Selecting biological indicators for monitoring soils: A framework for balancing scientific and technical opinion to assist policy development, Ecological Indicators, 9 (6) 1212-1221.
- Harris JA (2009) Soil Microbial Communities and Restoration Ecology: Facilitators or Followers?, Science (AAAS), 325 (5940) 573-574.
- Hobbs RJ, Higgs E & Harris JA (2009) Novel ecosystems: implications for conservation and restoration, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 24 (11) 599-605.
- Pawlett M, Hopkins DW, Moffett BF & Harris JA (2009) The effect of earthworms and liming on soil microbial communities, Biology and Fertility of Soils, 45 (4) 361-369.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2009) Erratum: Size and phenotypic structure of microbial communities within soil profiles in relation to different playing areas on a UK golf course. (vol 59, pg 835, 2008), European Journal of Soil Science, 60 (1) 1-1.
- Tyrrel SF, Seymour I & Harris JA (2008) Bioremediation of leachate from a green waste composting facility using waste-derived filter media, Bioresource Technology, 99 (16) 7657-7664.
- Deacon LJ, Grinev DV, Crawford JW, Harris JA, Ritz K & Young IM (2008) Simultaneous preservation of soil structural properties and phospholipid profiles: a comparison of three drying techniques., Pedosphere, 18 (3) 284-287.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2008) Earthworm community structure on five English golf courses, Applied Soil Ecology, 39 (3) 336-341.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2008) Size and phenotypic structure of microbial communities within soil profiles in relation to play surfaces on a UK golf course, European Journal of Soil Science, 59 (5) 835-841.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2008) Estimating species richness of earthworms on golf courses and implications for innovating environmentally benign control methods., Acta Horticulturae, 783 475-480.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2007) Microbial community phenotypic profiles change markedly with depth within the first centimetre of the arable soil surface, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 39 (5) 1226-1229.
- Allton KE, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2007) The effect of microbial communities on soil hydrological processes: A microcosm study utilising simulated rainfall., Geoderma, 142 (1-2) 11-17.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2007) Interactions between microbial community structure and the soil environment found on golf courses, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 39 (7) 1533-1541.
- Harris JA, Hobbs RJ, Higgs E & Aronson J (2006) Ecological Restoration and Global Climate Change, Restoration Ecology, 14 (2) 170-176.
- Young IM, Illian J, Harris JA & Ritz K (2006) Comment on Zhao et al. (2005) "Does ergosterol concentration provide a reliable estimate of soil fungal biomass?", Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 38 (6) 1500-1501.
- Bartlett MD, Harris JA, James IT & Ritz K (2006) Inefficiency of mustard extraction technique for assessing size and structure of earthworm communities in UK pastures, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 38 (9) 2990-2992.
- Crawford JW, Harris JA, Ritz K & Young IM (2005) Towards an evolutionary ecology of life in soil, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 20 (2) 81-87.
- Harris JA (2003) Measurements of the soil microbial community for estimating the success of restoration, European Journal of Soil Science, 54 (4) 801-808.
- Schmid M, Walsh K, Webb R, Rijpstra WIC, vandePas-Schoonen K, Verbruggen MJ, Hill T, Moffett B, Fuerst J, Schouten S, SinningheDamste JS, Harris JA & Shaw PJ (2003) Two new species of anaerobic ammonium oxidizing bacteria, Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 26 (4) 529-538.
- Moffett BF, Nicholson FA, Uwakwe NC, Chambers BJ, Harris JA & Hill TCJ (2003) Zinc contamination decreases the bacterial diversity of agricultural soil: 16S rDNA analysis ARDRA and sampling strategies, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 43 (1) 13-19.
- Hill TCJ, Walsh KA, Harris JA & Moffett BF (2003) Using ecological diversity measures with bacterial communities, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 43 (1) 1-11.
- Walsh KA, Moffett BF, Hill TCJ, Harris JA, Shaw P & Wallace JS (2002) Molecular characterisation of bacteria in a wetland used to remove ammoniacal-N from landfill leachate., Waste Management and Research, 20 (6) 529-535.
- vanDiggelen R, Grootjans AP & Harris JA (2001) Ecological restoration: state of the art or state of the Science?, Restoration Ecology, 9 (2) 115-118.
- Hobbs RJ & Harris JA (2001) Restoration Ecology: Repairing the Earth's Ecosystems in the New Millenium., Restoration Ecology, 9 (2) 239-246.
- Harris JA & Hobbs RJ (2001) Clinical practice for ecosystem health: the role of ecological restoration, Ecosystem Health, 7 (4) 195-202.
- Moffett BF, Walsh K, Harris JA & Hill TCJ (2000) Analysis of bacterial community structure using 16S rDNA analysis, Anaerobe, 6 (2) 129-131.
- Steer J & Harris JA (2000) Shifts in the microbial community in rhizosphere and non-rhizosphere soils during the growth of Agrostis stolonifera, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 36 (2) 869-878.
- Degens B & Harris JA (1997) Development of a physiological approach to measuring the catabolic diversity of soil microbial communities, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 29 (9-10) 1309-1320.
- Harris JA & Wakeford T (1996) Gaia: Darwin reinforces regulation, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 11 (8) 315-316.
- Harris JA (1995) Soils, the basic substrate for conservation in the urban landscape, Land Contamination and Reclamation, 3.
- Edgerton DL, Harris JA, Birch P & Bullock P (1995) Linear relationship between aggregate stability and microbial biomass in three restored soils, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 27 (11) 1499-1501.
- Ruzicka S, Norman M & Harris JA (1995) Rapid ultrasonication method to determine ergosterol concentration in soil, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 27 (9) 1215-1217.
- Diaz S, Grime JP, Mcpherson EF & Harris JA (1993) Effects of raised carbon dioxide levels on plant growth and the soil microbial biomass, Nature, 364 616-617.
- Diaz S, Grime JP, Harris J & McPherson E (1993) Evidence of a feedback mechanism limiting plant response to elevated carbon dioxide, Nature, 364 (6438) 616-617.
- Hill T, Mcpherson EF, Harris JA & Birch P (1993) Microbial biomass estimated by phospholipid phosphate in soils with diverse microbial communities, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 25 (12) 1779-1786.
- Harris JA, Birch P & Short KC (1993) Changes in the microbial community during the construction and subsequent storage of soil stockpiles: A strategist theory interpretation, Restoration Ecology, 1 (2) 88-100.
- Kim OK, Harris JA, Hill T & Birch P (1993) The effects of metals on microbial biomass and activity in contaminated urban park soils, Land Contamination and Reclamation, 1 (2) 101-110.
- Bentham H, Harris JA, Birch P & Short KC (1992) Habitat classification and soil restoration assessment using analysis of soil microbiological and physico-chemical characteristics, Journal of Applied Ecology, 29 (3) 711-718.
- Harris JA, Birch P & Short KC (1989) Changes in the microbial community and physico-chemical characteristics of soils stockpiled during opencast mining, Soil Use and Management, 5 (4) 161-168.
- Harris JA & Birch P (1989) Soil microbial activity in opencast coal mine restorations, Soil Use and Management, 5 (4) 155-160.
- Dickie JB, Gajjar KH, Birch P & Harris JA (1988) The survival of viable seeds in stored topsoil from opencast coal workings and its implications for site resoration, Biological Conservation, 43 (4) 257-265.
- Harris JA & Birch P (1988) The effect of zeolite on the toxicity of lead to fungi, Environmental Pollution, 49 (3) 235-265.
- Harris JA & Birch P (1987) The effects on topsoil of storage during opencast mining operations, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 40 220-221.
- Varga L & Harris J (2014) Adaptation and resilience of interdependent infrastructure systems: A complex systems perspective. In: International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure 2014, Vienna, 30 September 2014.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2009) Microbiological profiles of golf course soils. In: 11th International Turfgrass Research Conference, Santiago, Chile, 24 July 2009.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA & Ritz K (2008) The relationship between profile construction and casting behavior of earthworms in golf course soils. In: World Scientifc Congress on Golf., Arizona, 1 January 2008.
- Creamer RE, Chamberlain PM, Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Singh B, Ritz K & Wood C (2007) How does temporal variability influence the reliability of multiple substrate induced respiration as an indicator of soil quality?. In: Soils - fit for purpose ? - BSSS Annual Meeting 2007, 1 September 2007.
- Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Chamberlain PM, Creamer RE, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Singh B, Ritz K & Wood C (2007) An ecosystem services approach to the selection of biological indicators of soil quality for national-scale soil monitoring. In: Soil Ecology - British Ecological Society Annual Meeting 2007, Glasgow, UK, 1 September 2007.
- Chamberlain PC, Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Creamer RE, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Singh B, Ritz K & Wood C (2007) Can consistent temporal changes be detected in the diversity of soil invertebrates under different environmental pressures. In: Soils - fit for purpose ? : BSSS Annual Meeting 2007, 1 September 2007.
- Bartlett MD, James IT, Harris JA, Ritz K & Cannon MHW (2007) Engineering soil profiles to reduce earthworm populations. In: Science, Technology and Research into Sport Surfaces (STARSS), Loughborough, UK, 17 September 2007.
- Bartlett MD, Ritz K, Harris JA & James IT (2006) The ecology of earthworms on five UK golf courses. In: 18th World Congress of Soil Science, Philadelphia, USA, 1 January 2006.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2006) Communities exposed: an investigation of the microbiology of arable soil surfaces. In: Integrating Microbial Knowledge into Human Life: 2nd Congress of European Microbiologists, Madrid, Spain, Madrid, Spain, 1 January 2006.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2006) The microbiology of the extreme surface of arable soils. In: International Society for Microbial Ecology 11: The Hidden Powers - Microbial Communities in Action, Vienna, Austria, 1 January 2006.
- Ritz K & Harris JA (2006) Morphological, molecular and mathematical methods to measure the munificence of soil biodiversity. In: Conservation of Soil Diversity under Global Change, Helsingýr, Denmark, 1 January 2006.
- Deacon LJ, Crawford JW, Grinev D, Harris JA, Ritz K & Young IM (2006) Self-organisation in the soil:microbe complex. In: SET Annual Presentations by Younger Scientists, Engineers and Technologists, House of Commons, London, U.K., 1 January 2006.
- Deacon LJ, Grinev D, Crawford JW, Harris JA, Ritz K & Young IM (2006) Three-dimensional quantification of microbially-induced genesis of soil architecture using X-ray tomography. In: International Society for Microbial Ecology 11: The Hidden Powers - Microbial Communities in Action, Vienna, Austria, 1 January 2006.
- Allton KE, Ritz K & Harris JA (2006) Interactions between soil microbial communities, erodability and tillage practices. In: 18th World Congress of Soil Science, Philadelphia, USA, 1 January 2006.
- Tyrrel SF, Seymour IL, Harris JA, Savage A & Smith R (2005) Biological treatment of compost liquor using waste-derived filter media. In: Sardinia 2005, Tenth International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, Cagliari, 3 October 2005.
- Allton KE, Ritz K & Harris JA (2005) Impact of tillage practices upon soil microbial communities. In: British Ecological Society Annual Meeting, Hatfield, U.K., 1 September 2005.
- Bartlett MD, Ritz K, James IT & Harris JA (2005) Trends in anecic earthworm activity on five golf courses in England. In: British Ecological Society Annual Meeting, Hatfield, U.K., 1 September 2005.
- Allton KE, Ritz K & Harris JA (2005) Interactions between soil microbial communities, tillage and environmental qualityicated. In: SET Annual Presentations by Younger Scientists, Engineers and TechnologistsR 1.1, House of Commons, London, U.K.2R, 1 January 2005.
- Ritz K, Thompson TRE, Harris JA, Heaton M, Jordon D & Morton A (2004) Post-disturbance changes in archaeology: the potential pitfalls of PARIS. In: Institute of Field Archaeologiusts Annual Conference, Liverpool, U.K., 1 April 2004.
- Ritz K, Harris JA, Young IM & Crawford JW (2004) Perspectives on the biological engine of the earth. In: Environmentally friendly agriculture and soil biodiversity: CONSIDER Workshop 3, Frick, Switzerland, 1 November 2004.
- Jordan D, Heaton M, Ritz K, Thompson TRE, Harris JA & Morton A (2004) Focussing archaeological evaluations.. In: Institute of Field Archaeologists Annual Conference, Liverpool, U.K., 1 April 2004.
- Harris JA (2003) Microbiological tools for monitoring and managing restoration progress. In: Land Reclamation: Extending the Boundaries : 7th International Conference of the International Affiliation of Land Reclamationists, Runcorn, 13 May 2003.
- Ritz K, McHugh M & Harris JA (2003) Biological diversity and function in soils: contemporary perspectives and implications in relation to the formulation of effective indicators.. In: OECD Expert Meeting on Soil Erosion and Soil Biodiversity Indicators, Rome, Italy, 1 March 2003.
- Harris JA & Steer J (2003) Modern methods for estimating soil microbial biomass and diversity: An integrated approach. In: The Utilization of Bioremediation to Reduce Soil Contamination: Problems and Solutions, NATO CCMS Symposium, Liblice, Czech Republic, 7 June 2003.
- Harris JA & Ritz K (2003) Assessment of ecosystem health: detecting and interpreting soil microbial community responses. In: Monitoring in Polluted Environments for Integrated Water-Soil Management, Krakow, Poland., Kracow, 3 June 2003.
- Walsh KA, Harris JA, Shaw PJ, Hill TCJ & Moffett BF (2001) Characterisation of the bacterial community associated with a surface flow constructed wetland treating landfill leachate using 16S rDNA analysis.. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium., Sardinia, 1 July 2001.
- Hill TCJ, Walsh KA, Shaw PJ, Harris JA & Moffett BF (2001) Quantification of N-transforming bacteria in passive leachate treatment systems by real-time PCR.. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium., Sardinia, 7 July 2001.
- Birch P, Bentham H & Harris JA (1991) Soil microbial ecosystems: Importance for the efeective restoration of mined lands. In: Reclamation 2000: Proceedings of the Conference, American Society of Surface Mining and Reclamation, USA, 1 July 1991.
- Harris JA & Birch P (1990) The effects of heavy civil engineering and stockpiling on the soil microbial community.. In: Micro-organisms in Civil Engineering, Proceedings of the Conference, FEMS Symposium, UK, 1 July 1990.
- Harris JA & Birch P (1990) Application of the principles of microbial ecology to the assessment of surface mine reclamation.. In: Proceedings of the 1990 Mining and Reclamation Conference. American Society of Surface Mining and Reclamation, West Virginia, J.Skousen, J.Sencindiver & D.Samuel (Eds), USA, 1 July 1990.
- Hallet LM, Standish, RJ, Hulvey KB, Gardener MR, Suding KN, Starzomski BM & Harris JA (2013) Towards a conceptual framework for novel ecosystems. In: Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order. Hobbs RJ, Higgs ES, Hall CS (ed.), Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 16-28.
- Harris JA (2013) Do feedbacks from the soil biota secure novelty in ecosystems?. In: Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order. Hobbs RJ, Higgs ES, Hall CS (ed.), Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 124-126.
- Mascaro J, Harris JA, Lach L, Thompson A, Perring MP, Richardson DM & Ellis EC (2013) Islands: Where Novelty is the Norm. In: Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order. Hobbs RJ, Higgs ES, Hall CS (ed.), Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 45-57.
- Harris JA, Murphy SD, Nelson CR, Perring MP & Tognetti PM (2013) Characterizing novel ecosystems: Challenges for measurement. In: Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order. Hobbs RJ, Higgs ES, Hall CS (ed.), Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 192-204.
- Harris JA (2013) Case study: do feedbacks from the soil biota secure novelty in ecosystems?. In: Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order, p. 124-126, ed. 1.
- Mascaro J, Harris JA, Lach L, Thompson A, Perring MP, Richardson DM & Ellis EC (2013) Origins of the novel ecosystems concept. In: Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order, p. 45-57, ed. 1.
- Harris JA & Van Diggelen R (2006) Ecological restoration as a project for global society. In: Restoration Ecology: The New Frontier, Blackwell Publishing, p. 3-15.
- Harris JA, Grogan P & Hobbs R (2005) Restoration ecology and the role of soil biology. In: Biological Diversity and Function in Soils, Cambridge University Press, p. 319-342.
- Ritz K, McHugh M & Harris JA (2004) Biological diversity and function in soils: contemporary perspectives and implications in relation to the formulation of effective indicators. In: Agricultural Soil Erosion and Soil Biodiversity: Developing Indicators for Policy Analyses, ed R. Francaviglia, OECD, Paris.
- Morris SM, Hill TCJ & Harris JA (2003) Soil Microbial Communities. In: Biodiversity in Britainýs Planted Forests: Results from the Forestry Commissionýs Biodiversity Assessment Project, Forestry Commission, p. 31-40.