Contact Professor Jane Rickson
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Environmental Policy
- Natural capital
- Soil Resources
- Water Science and Engineering
- BSc (Hons) in Geography (2i), King's College, University of London
- Diploma of the Associateship of King's College (A.K.C.), London
- MSc in Agricultural Engineering (Land Resource Management), Silsoe College (awarded full NERC scholarship)
- PhD “The use of geotextiles for soil erosion control”, Cranfield University
- Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv).
Professor Jane Rickson has over 30 years’ experience of research, consultancy and teaching in soil and water engineering, specialising in soil degradation processes and sustainable land management. Her work has focused on better understanding of soil functions and their role in the delivery of ecosystems goods and services, including water regulation, agricultural production and carbon storage. She uses multi-disciplinary approaches to integrate fundamental and applied land resources science at a range of spatial and temporal scales.
Her work is directed at Research Councils, industry, farmers and policy makers. Recent projects include: Development of a Soil Management Information System (AHDB); Better understanding of the soil protection landscape (Defra); Developing a conceptual framework for a soil impact metric for agricultural and commodity supply chains (Institute for Sustainability Leadership, University of Cambridge; CISL); Review of the England and Wales soils evidence base (Welsh Government); Provision of research to develop the evidence base on soil erosion (Committee on Climate Change, Adaptation Sub Committee); and The total costs of soil degradation in England & Wales (Defra).
She is also involved in the training and teaching on Masters courses in Land Reclamation and Restoration, Environmental Engineering, and Soil Management, as well as bespoke short courses on soil erosion and conservation. Consultancy activities include soil erosion and remediation in mine site rehabilitation.
Jane is a Fellow and was President of the Institution of Agricultural Engineers from 2018 to 2020, a Chartered Environmentalist, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the Institute of Professional Soil Scientists.
Working with clients from the private and public sectors, including:
- Alcoa of Australia
- British Council
- City of London Authority
- Common Fund for Commodities
- Environment Agency
- Horticulture Development Company
- International Trade Centre
- Marks & Spencers
- Ministry of Defence
- National Jute Board of India
- Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Articles In Journals
- Cooke AL, Simmons RW, Rickson RJ & Sakrabani ER (2020) Efficacy of selected phosphorous sorbing materials (PSMs) to enhance the orthophosphate sorption capacity of filter socks, Water and Environment Journal, Available online 18 November 2020.
- Giannitsopoulos M, Burgess, PJ & Rickson RJ (2020) Effects of conservation tillage drills on soil quality indicators in a wheat–oilseed rape rotation: organic carbon, earthworms and water stable aggregates, Soil Use and Management, 36 (1) 139-152. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9171962
- Benaud P, Anderson K, Evans M, Farrow L, Glendell M, James MR, Quine TA, Quinton JN, Rawlins B, Rickson RJ & Brazier RE (2020) National-scale geodata describe widespread accelerated soil erosion, Geoderma, 371 (July) Article No. 114378.
- Niziolomski JC, Simmons RW, Rickson RJ & Hann MJ (2020) Efficacy of mulch and tillage options to reduce runoff and soil loss from asparagus interrows, CATENA, 191 (August) Article No. 104557. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3574053
- Lees C, De Baets S, Rickson RJ & Simmons RW (2020) Selecting plant traits for soil erosion control in grassed waterways under a changing climate: A growth room study, European Journal of Soil Science, Available online 09 September 2020.
- Giannitsopoulos ML, Burgess PJ & Rickson RJ (2019) Effects of conservation tillage systems on soil physical changes and crop yields in a wheat–oilseed rape rotation, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 74 (3) 247-258.
- Pawlett M, Rickson J, Niziolomski J, Churchill S & Kesner M (2019) Human cadaver burial depth affects soil microbial and nutrient status, Archaeological and Environmental Forensic Science, 1 (2) 119-125.
- Unagwu BO, Simmons RW & Rickson RJ (2019) Organic amendment and inorganic fertiliser addition: effect on soil nutrient, growth and yield of maize, Middle East Journal of Agriculture Research, 8 (2) 445-456.
- Niziolomski JC, Simmons RW, Rickson RJ & Hann MJ (2018) Managing runoff and soil loss in asparagus production systems, Acta Horticulturae, 1223 127-134.
- Remaury A, Guittonny M & Rickson J (2018) The effect of tree planting density on the relative development of weeds and hybrid poplars on revegetated mine slopes vulnerable to erosion, New Forests, 50 (4) 555-572.
- Campbell S, Simmons R, Rickson J, Waine T & Simms D (2018) Using Near-Surface Photogrammetry Assessment of Surface Roughness (NSPAS) to assess the effectiveness of erosion control treatments applied to slope forming materials from a mine site in West Africa, Geomorphology, 322 (December) 188-195.
- Vercruysse K, Grabowski RC & Rickson RJ (2017) Suspended sediment transport dynamics in rivers: multi-scale drivers of temporal variation, Earth-Science Reviews, 166 (March) 38-52.
- Glendell M, McShane G, Farrow L, James MR, Quinton J, Anderson K, Evans M, Benaud P, Rawlins B, Morgan D, Jones L, Kirkham M, DeBell L, Quine TA, Lark M, Rickson J & Brazier RE (2017) Testing the utility of structure from motion photogrammetry reconstructions using small unmanned aerial vehicles and ground photography to estimate the extent of upland soil erosion, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 42 (12) 1860-1871.
- Corstanje R, Mercer T, Rickson JR, Deeks LK, Newell-Price P, Holman I, Kechavarzi C & Waine TW (2017) Physical soil quality indicators for monitoring British soils, Solid Earth, 8 (5) 1003-1016.
- Evans R, Collins AL, Foster IDL, Rickson RJ, Anthony SG, Brewer T, Deeks L, Newell-Price JP, Truckell IG & Zhang Y (2016) Extent, frequency and rate of water erosion of arable land in Britain – benefits and challenges for modelling, Soil Use and Management, 32 (Supplement S1) 149-161.
- Niziolomski JC, Simmons RW, Rickson RJ & Hann MJ (2016) Tine options for alleviating compaction in wheelings, Soil and Tillage Research, 161 (August) 47-52. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3380086.v1
- Rickson RJ, Deeks LK, Graves A, Harris JAH, Kibblewhite MG & Sakrabani R (2015) Input constraints to food production: the impact of soil degradation, Food Security, 7 (2) 351-364.
- Graves A, Morris J, Deeks L, Rickson RJ, Kibblewhite M, Harris J, Farewell T & Truckle I. (2015) The total costs of soil degradation in England and Wales, Ecological Economics, 119 (November) 399-413.
- Abdollahi L, Hansen EM, Rickson RJ & Munkhohn LJ (2015) Overall assessment of soil quality on humid sandy loams: Effects of location, rotation and tillage, Soil and Tillage Research, 145 (January) 29-36.
- Rickson RJ (2014) Can control of soil erosion mitigate water pollution by sediments?, Science of the Total Environment, 468-469 (January) 1187-1197.
- Kibblewhite MG, Bellamy PH, Brewer TR, Graves AR, Dawson CA, Rickson RJ, Truckell I & Stuart J (2014) An exploration of spatial risk assessment for soil protection: Estimating risk and establishing priority areas for soil protection, Science of the Total Environment, 473-474 (March) 692-701.
- Posthumus H, Deeks LK, Rickson RJ & Quinton JN (2013) Costs and benefits of erosion control measures in the UK, Soil Use and Management, 31 (October) 16-33.
- Verheijen FGA, Jones RJA, Rickson RJ, Smith CJ, Bastos AC, Nunes JP & Keizer JJ (2012) Concise overview of European soil erosion research and evaluation, Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica. Section B. Soil and Plant Science, 62 (2) 185-190.
- Posthumus H, Deeks LK, Fenn I & Rickson RJ (2011) Soil conservation in two English catchments: linking soil management with policies, Land Degradation and Development, 22 (1) 97-110.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2009) The spectral quality of light influences the temporal development of the microbial phenotype at the arable soil surface., Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 41 (3) 553-560.
- Verheijen FGA, Jones RJA, Rickson RJ & Smith CJ (2009) Tolerable versus actual soil erosion rates in Europe, Earth-Science Reviews, 94 (1-4) 23-38.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2007) Microbial community phenotypic profiles change markedly with depth within the first centimetre of the arable soil surface, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 39 (5) 1226-1229.
- Allton KE, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2007) The effect of microbial communities on soil hydrological processes: A microcosm study utilising simulated rainfall., Geoderma, 142 (1-2) 11-17.
- Rickson RJ, Clarke M & Owens PN (2006) Editorial - The use of vegetation for erosion control and environmental protection, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 31 (5) 533-535.
- Rickson RJ (2006) Controlling sediment at source: an evaluation of erosion control geotextiles., Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 31 (5) 550-560.
- Hernik J, Dautrebende S, Dresser ML, Liuzzi GT, Omert J, Rickson RJ & Todorovic M (2005) Instruments of Soil Protection Against Erosion in Chosen European Countries Part 1 : Policies, Geodezja, 21 (1) 175-182.
- Hernik J, Dautrebende S, Dresser ML, Liuzzi GI, Omert J, Rickson RJ & Todorovic M (2005) Instruments of Soil Protection Against Erosion in Chosen European Countries Part 2: Practices, Geodezja, 21 (1) 183-188.
- Idowu OJ, Rickson RJ & Godwin RJ (2002) Erosion as affected by tillage-induced roughness and surface mulch in a soil with a simulated subsurface pan, Transactions of the ASABE, 45 (1) 83-87.
- Idowu OJ, Rickson RJ & Godwin RJ (2002) Analysis of surface roughness in relation to soil loss and runoff at high rainfall intensities, Hydrological Processes, 16 (12) 2339-2345.
- Idowu OJ, Rickson RJ & Godwin RJ (2002) Analysis of surface roughness in relation to soil loss and runoff at high rainfall intensities., Hydrological Processes, 16 (12) 2339-2345.
- Crossley CP, Kibiwot VN, Reynolds AJ & Rickson RJ (2001) Rut formation and rolling resistance on earth roads., Biosystems Engineering, 78 (1) 99-107.
- Rickson RJ (2000) The use of geotextiles for vegetation management, Aspects of Applied Biology, 58 107-114.
- Rickson RJ (1997) Factors affecting changes in erosion status in the Swaziland Middleveld, Soil Technology, 11 (3) 311-318.
- Felix-Henningsen P, Morgan RPC, Mushala HM, Rickson RJ & Scholten T (1997) Soil erosion in Swaziland: A synthesis, Soil Technology, 11 (3) 319-329.
- Mushala HM, Morgan RPC, Scholten T, Felix-Henningsen P & Rickson RJ (1997) Soil erosion and sedimentation in Swaziland: An introduction, Soil Technology, 11 (3) 219-228.
- Morgan RPC, McIntyre K, Vickers AW, Quinton JN & Rickson RJ (1997) A rainfall simulation study of soil erosion on rangeland in Swaziland, Soil Technology, 11 (3) 291-299.
- Morgan RPC, Rickson RJ, McIntyre K, Brewer TR & Altshul HJ (1997) Soil erosion survey of the central part of the Swaziland Middleveld, Soil Technology, 11 (3) 263-289.
- Idowu OJ, Rickson RJ & Godwin RJ (1996) The effect of an impermeable pan on erosion by water of a sandy loam soil, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 65 (2) 159-164.
- Morgan RPC, Quinton JN & Rickson RJ (1994) Modeling methodology for soil erosion assessment and soil conservation design: The EUROSEM approach, Outlook On Agriculture, 23 (1) 5-9.
- Morgan R & Rickson J (1988) Soil erosion control: importance of geomorphological information 51-60.
- Rickson RJ Review of 'Principles of soil conservation and management' by Blanco and Lal, Soil Use and Management.
- Idowu OJ, Rickson RJ & Godwin RJ Effect of surface mulching on soil erosion sandy loam soil with a subsurface pan, Environmental Conservation.
- Rickson RJ, Moore M, Blackmore S, Day W, Godwin RJ, Kibblewhite MG, Miller P & Redman P (2013) Agricultural engineering: a key discipline enabling agriculture to deliver global food security. In: LandTechnik AgEng 2013: Components and Systems, Hannover, 8 November 2013.
- Rickson RJ, Loveday & AD (2012) Can erosion control blankets (geotextiles) aid vegetation establishment in mine restoration?. In: 7th International Conference on Mine Closure 2012, Brisbane, Queensland, 25 September 2012.
- Rickson RJ (2012) Evaluating the effectiveness of geotextiles for slope erosion control in mine restoration. In: 7th International Conference on Mine Closure 2012, Brisbane, Queensland, 25 September 2012.
- Rickson RJ (2008) Standardisation of jute geotextiles: their applications and related regulatory issues.. In: Jute geotextiles - technical potential and commercial prospects, Kolkata, India., 4 April 2008.
- Clarke MA, Creamer RE, Deeks LK, Gowing D, Holman, Jones R, Palmer RC, Potts S, Rickson RJ, Ritz, Thompson TRE, Truckell, Vickery J, Whalley R & Woodcock B (2008) Soil compaction in Wales. In: Welsh Soil Discussion Group Meeting, Bangor, Wales, 1 November 2008.
- Clarke MA, Creamer RE, Deeks LK, Gowing D, Holman IP, Jones RJA, Palmer RC, Potts S, Rickson RJ, Ritz K, Thompson TRE, Truckell IG, Vickery J, Whalley R & Woodcock B (2007) Soil compaction in England and Wales : a vulnerability assessment, state-of knowledge and recommendations for future research. In: Soils - fit for purpose ? : BSSS Annual Meeting 2007, Aberystwyth, UK, 1 September 2007.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2006) Communities exposed: an investigation of the microbiology of arable soil surfaces. In: Integrating Microbial Knowledge into Human Life: 2nd Congress of European Microbiologists, Madrid, Spain, Madrid, Spain, 1 January 2006.
- Jeffery S, Harris JA, Rickson RJ & Ritz K (2006) The microbiology of the extreme surface of arable soils. In: International Society for Microbial Ecology 11: The Hidden Powers - Microbial Communities in Action, Vienna, Austria, 1 January 2006.
- Morgan RPC, Collins AJ, Hann MJ & Rickson RJ (2004) A decision support system for waterway bank protection.. In: Eco-engineering conference, Thessaloniki, Greece, 1 September 2004.
- Whitmore A, Watts C, Clarke M & Rickson RJ (2004) Critical levels of soil organic carbon in surface soils in relation to soil stability, function and infiltration. In: Eurosoil 2004, Frieburg, 4 September 2004.
- Rickson RJ (2003) Erosion risk assessment on disturbed and reclaimed land. In: Land Reclamation: Extending the Boundaries : 7th International Conference of the International Affiliation of Land Reclamationists, Runcorn, 13-16 May 2003.
- Rickson RJ (2003) The Use of Jute Based Products as Geotextiles.. In: International Jute Symposium; JMDC/MD/Symposium-Seminar., 1 January 2003.
- Rickson RJ (2003) The use of jute based products as geotextiles. In: International Jute Symposium, Calcutta, 1 January 2003.
- Rickson RJ (2003) Geotextiles in land reclamation: applications for erosion control and vegetation establishment. In: Land Reclamation: Extending the Boundaries : 7th International Conference of the International Affiliation of Land Reclamationists, Runcorn, 13-16 May 2003.
- Rickson RJ (2002) Salient properties of erosion control geotextiles.. In: Proceedings of Conference No. 33: Adventures in erosion education. I.E.C.A., Steamboat Springs. CO., USA., 1 January 2002.
- Rickson RJ (2018) Mechanisms of soil erosion / degradation. In: Managing soil health for sustainable agriculture, Burleigh Dodds Science.
- Simmons RW & Rickson RJ (2008) Increasing rainfall and erosion.. In: Water and Food, Swedish Research Council (Formas), p. 89-96.
- Rickson RJ (2006) Management of sediment production and prevention in river catchments: A matter of scale?. In: Soil erosion and sediment redistribution in river catchments: measurement, modelling and management in the 21st century., CAB International, p. 228-238.
- Rickson RJ, Mc Hugh M & Morgan RPC (2005) Soil conservation. In: The encyclopedia of water, John Wiley & Sons.
- Mc Hugh M, Clarke M, Duzant J, Morgan RPC & Rickson RJ (2005) Soil erosion and control practices. In: The encyclopedia of water, John Wiley & Sons.
- Rickson RJ & Hann MJ (2004) Applications of crop-based geotextiles.. In: Crops in construction handbook (C614), CIRIA.
- Bullock P, Rickson R (eds), (2004) The future of the Mediterranean rural environment: prospects for sustainable land use and management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd..
- Rickson RJ (2003) Erosion risk assessment on disturbed land.. In: Land reclamation: extending the boundaries, Balkema, p. 185-192.
- Rickson RJ (2003) Geotextiles in land reclamation: applications for erosion control and vegetation establishment.. In: Land reclamation: extending the boundaries, Balkema, p. 305-314.
- Rickson R (eds), (2003) The Future of the Mediterranean Rural Environment: Prospects for Sustainable Land Use and Management, Special Issue, Journal of Arid Environments. Elsevier.
- Rickson RJ (2003) Preface - The future of the Mediterranean rural environment: prospects for sustainable land use and management. In: The future of the Mediterranean rural environment: prospects for sustainable land use and management, Elsevier Science.