Contact Professor Ian Holman
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758277
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
Professor Holman joined Cranfield University in 1994, working at the northern regional office of the Soil Survey and Land Research Centre, formerly the Soil Survey of England and Wales, where he contributed to the development of groundwater quality protection strategies in Lithuania and the Philippines and soil mapping of the Isle of Man.
Appointed Lecturer in 2001 and promoted to Reader in 2013, Professor Holman brings interdisciplinary hydrogeological and spatial pedology expertise to sustainable water resource management and climate change impacts and adaptation research for a range of Governmental, non-governmental and commercial organisations.
Professor Holman was Co-Chairman of the International Association of Hydrogeologists' Commission on Climate Change and Groundwater (2003-11).
Professor Holman's research focusses on understanding the effects of interactions between land management, soil properties and weather on soil degradation, agricultural yields and hydrological response, under current and future conditions. He is the Cranfield Principal Investigator (PI) on a number of major UK government and European Commission funded projects relating to water and land resources:
- Workpackage and case study lead in the "Impacts and risks from high-end scenarios: Strategies for innovative solutions" (IMPRESSIONS) FP7 project (Contract No 312848)
- Leading the development of an interactive web-based participatory modelling platform for the integrated assessment of climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability within natural resource systems (water, agriculture, forest and biodiversity) across Europe within the CLIMSAVE FP7 project (Contract No 244031)
- Leading the agricultural components of two of the projects within the NERC Droughts and Water Scarcity programme (NE/L010186/1)
- Leading the climate change Impacts and uncertainty assessment within the NERC and Indian Ministry of Earth Sciences-funded project on "Mitigating Climate Change Impacts on India Agriculture through Improved Irrigation Water Management" (NE/I022329/1 and NE/L010070/1)
- Acting lead for the catchment modelling of sediment and flows with the EPSRC FloodMemory project (EP/K013513/1) to investigate the effects of temporal clustering of flood events on natural built and socio-economic systems with memory
- Contributing to the sediment dynamics modelling within the "Delivering and Evaluating Multiple Flood Risk Benefits in Blue-Green Cities" (EP/K013661/1)
- Modeling European Agriculture with Climate Change for food Security (MASCUR, BB/K010301/1).
Recent clients have included:
- Research Councils (NERC, BBSRC and EPSRC)
- UK Government departments including Defra and DFID
- European Commission (FP7 and DG Environment)
- Environment Agency and Countryside Council for Wales
- Broads Authority
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
Articles In Journals
- Lee H, Brown C, Seo B, Holman I, Audsley E, Cojocaru G, Rounsevell M, (2019) Implementing land-based mitigation to achieve the Paris Agreement in Europe requires food system transformation, Environmental Research Letters, Early online.
- Momblanch A, Holman IP & Jain SK (2019) Current practice and recommendations for modelling global change impacts on water resource in the Himalayas, Water (Switzerland), 11 (6) Article No. 1303.
- Garnier M & Holman I (2019) Critical review of adaptation measures to reduce the vulnerability of European drinking water resources to the pressures of climate change, Environmental Management, Early online.
- Harrison PA, Harmáčková ZV, Aloe Karabulut A, Brotons L, Cantele M, Claudet J, Dunford RW, Guisan A, Holman IP, Jacobs S, Kok K, Lobanova A, Morán-Ordóñez A, Pedde S, Rixen C, Santos-Martín F, Schlaepfer MA, Solidoro C, Sonrel A & Hauck J (2019) Synthesizing plausible futures for biodiversity and ecosystem services in Europe and Central Asia using scenario archetypes, Ecology and Society, 24 (2) Article No. 27.
- Haro-Monteagudo D, Knox JW & Holman IP (2019) D-Risk: a decision-support webtool for improving drought risk management in irrigated agriculture, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 162 (July) 855-858. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6792260, 10.5285/0cea8d7aca57427fae92241348ae9b03
- Salmoral G, Rey D, Rudd A, de Margon P & Holman I (2019) A probabilistic risk assessment of the national economic impacts of regulatory drought management on irrigated agriculture, Earth's Future, 7 (2) 178-196. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7613192
- Fronzek S, Carter TR, Pirttioja N, Alkemade R, Audsley E, Bugmann H, Flörke M, Holman I, Honda Y, Ito A, Janes-Bassett V, Lafond V, Leemans R, Mokrech M, Nunez S, Sandars D, Snell R, Takahashi K, Tanaka A, Wimmer F, Yoshikawa M, (2019) Determining sectoral and regional sensitivity to climate and socio-economic change in Europe using impact response surfaces, Regional Environmental Change, 19 (3) 679-693.
- Harrison PA, Dunford RW, Holman IP, Cojocaru G, Madsen MS, Chen PY, Pedde S & Sandars D (2019) Differences between low-end and high-end climate change impacts in Europe across multiple sectors, Regional Environmental Change, 19 (3) 695-709.
- Pedde S, Kok K, Onigkeit J, Brown C, Holman I & Harrison PA (2019) Bridging uncertainty concepts across narratives and simulations in environmental scenarios, Regional Environmental Change, 19 (3) 655-666.
- Holman IP, Brown C, Carter TR, Harrison PA & Rounsevell M (2019) Improving the representation of adaptation in climate change impact models, Regional Environmental Change, 19 (3) 711-721.
- Kok K, Pedde S, Gramberger M, Harrison PA & Holman IP (2019) New European socio-economic scenarios for climate change research: operationalising concepts to extend the shared socio-economic pathways, Regional Environmental Change, 19 (3) 643-654.
- Frantzeskaki N, Hölscher K, Holman IP, Pedde S, Jaeger J, Kok K & Harrison PA (2019) Transition pathways to sustainability in greater than 2 C climate futures of Europe, Regional Environmental Change, 19 (3) 777-789.
- Pedde S, Kok K, Hölscher K, Frantzeskaki N, Holman I, Dunford R, Smith A & Jäger J (2019) Advancing the use of scenarios to understand society's capacity to achieve the 1.5 degree target, Global Environmental Change, 56 (May) 75-85.
- Parsons DJ, Rey D, Tanguy M & Holman IP (2019) Regional variations in the link between drought indices and reported agricultural impacts of drought, Agricultural Systems, 173 (July) 119-129. Dataset/s: 10.5285/17b9c4f7-1c30-4b6f-b2fe-f7780159939c, 10.5285/8baf805d-39ce-4dac-b224-c926ada353b7, 10.5285/33604ea0-c238-4488-813d-0ad9ab7c51ca, 10.5255/UKDA-SN-853167
- Brown C, Alexander P, Arneth A, Holman I & Rounsevell M (2019) Achievement of Paris climate goals unlikely due to time lags in the land system, Nature Climate Change, Early online (3).
- Momblanch A, Papadimitriou L, Jain SK, Kulkarni A, Ojha CSP, Adeloye AJ & Holman IP (2019) Untangling the water-food-energy-environment nexus for global change adaptation in a complex Himalayan water resource system, Science of the Total Environment, 655 (March) 35-47. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7041902.v1
- Snapir B, Momblanch A, Jain SK, Waine TW & Holman IP (2019) A method for monthly mapping of wet and dry snow using Sentinel-1 and MODIS: Application to a Himalayan river basin, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 74 (February) 222-230.
- Rio M, Rey D, Prudhomme C & Holman IP (2018) Evaluation of changing surface water abstraction reliability for supplemental irrigation under climate change, Agricultural Water Management, 206 (July) 200-208. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6327176
- Janes VJ, Holman I, Birkinshaw SJ, O'Donnell G & Kilsby CG (2018) Improving bank erosion modelling at catchment scale by incorporating temporal and spatial variability, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 43 (1) 124-133. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4300202.v1, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4300220.v1
- Rust W, Holman I, Corstanje R, Bloomfield J & Cuthbert M (2018) A conceptual model for climatic teleconnection signal control on groundwater variability in Europe, Earth-Science Reviews, 177 (February) 164-174.
- Trnka M, Hayes M, Jurečka F, Bartošová L, Anderson M, Brázdil R, Brown J, Camarero JJ, Cudlín P, Dobrovolný P, Eitzinger J, Feng S, Finnessey T, Gregorič G, Havlik P, Hain C, Holman I, Johnson D, Kersebaum KC, Ljungqvist FC, Luterbacher J, Micale F, Hartl-Meier C, Možný M, Nejedlik P, Olesen JE, Ruiz-Ramos M, Rötter RP, Senay G, Vicente Serrano SM, Svoboda M, Susnik A, Tadesse T, Vizina A, Wardlow B, Žalud Z & Büntgen U (2018) Priority questions in multidisciplinary drought research, Climate Research, 75 (3) 241-260.
- Azhoni A, Jude S & Holman I (2018) Adapting to climate change by water management organisations: enablers and barriers, Journal of Hydrology, 559 (April) 736-748.
- Hamidov A, Helming K, Bellocchi G, Bojar W, Dalgaard T, Ghaley BB, Hoffmann C, Holman I, Holzkämper A, Krzeminska D, Kværnø SH, Lehtonen H, Niedrist G, Øygarden L, Reidsma P, Roggero PP, Rusu T, Santos C, Seddaiu G, Skarbøvik E, Ventrella D, Żarski J & Schönhart M (2018) Impacts of climate change adaptation options on soil functions: A review of European case‐studies, Land Degradation and Development, 29 (8) 2378-2389.
- Remesan R, Begam S & Holman IP (2018) Effect of baseline snowpack assumptions in the HySIM model in predicting future hydrological behavior of a Himalayan catchment, Hydrology Research, Early online (2). Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6969836
- Azhoni A, Holman I & Jude S (2017) Contextual and interdependent causes of climate change adaptation barriers: Insights from water management institutions in Himachal Pradesh, India, Science of the Total Environment, 576 (January) 817-828.
- Lange B, Holman I & Bloomfield JP (2017) A framework for a joint hydro-meteorological-social analysis of drought, Science of the Total Environment, 578 (February) 297-306.
- Holman IP, Brown C, Janes V & Sandars D (2017) Can we be certain about future land use change in Europe? A multi-scenario, integrated-assessment analysis, Agricultural Systems, 151 (February) 126-135.
- Rey D, Holman IP & Knox JW (2017) Developing drought resilience in irrigated agriculture in the face of increasing water scarcity, Regional Environmental Change, 17 (5) 1527-1540.
- Corstanje R, Mercer T, Rickson JR, Deeks LK, Newell-Price P, Holman I, Kechavarzi C & Waine TW (2017) Physical soil quality indicators for monitoring British soils, Solid Earth, 8 (5) 1003-1016.
- Dadson SJ, Hall JW, Murgatroyd A, Acreman M, Bates P, Beven K, Heathwaite L, Holden J, Holman IP, Lane SN, O’Connell E, Penning-Rowsell E, Reynard N, Sear D, Thorne C & Wilby R (2017) A restatement of the natural science evidence concerning catchment-based 'natural' flood management in the UK, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 473 (2199).
- Bussi G, Janes V, Whitehead PG, Dadson SJ & Holman IP (2017) Dynamic response of land use and river nutrient concentration to long-term climatic changes, Science of the Total Environment, 590-591 818-831. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4300256.v1
- Azhoni A, Holman I & Jude S (2017) Adapting water management to climate change: institutional involvement, inter-institutional networks and barriers in India, Global Environmental Change, 44 (May) 144-157.
- Holman I, Harrison P & Metzger M (2016) Cross-sectoral impacts of climate and socio-economic change in Scotland: implications for adaptation policy, Regional Environmental Change, 16 (1) 97-109.
- Rey D, Holman I, Daccache A, Morris J, Weatherhead K & Knox J (2016) Modelling and mapping the economic value of supplemental irrigation in a humid climate, Agricultural Water Management, 173 (July) 13-22.
- Pullan S, Whelan M, Rettino J, Filby K, Eyre S & Holman I (2016) Development and application of a catchment scale pesticide fate and transport model for use in drinking water risk assessment, Science of the Total Environment, 563 (September) 434-447.
- Harrison PA, Dunford RW, Holman IP & Rounsevell MD (2016) Climate change impact modelling needs to include cross-sectoral interactions, Nature Climate Change, 6 (9) 885-890.
- Daneshkhah A, Remesan R, Chatrabgoun O & Holman I (2016) Probabilistic modeling of flood characterizations with parametric and minimum information pair-copula model, Journal of Hydrology, 540 (September) 469-487.
- Harrison PA, Holman IP & Berry PM (2015) Assessing cross-sectoral climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation: an introduction to the CLIMSAVE project, Climatic Change, 128 (3-4) 153-167.
- Chiverton A, Hannaford J, Holman IP, Corstanje R, Prudhomme C, Hess TM & Bloomfield JP (2015) Using variograms to detect and attribute hydrological change, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 19 (5) 2395-2408.
- Remesan R & Holman IP (2015) Effect of baseline meteorological data selection on hydrological modelling of climate change scenarios, Journal of Hydrology, 528 631-642.
- Harrison PA, Dunford R, Savin C, Rounsevell MDA, Holman IP, Kebede AS & Stuch B (2015) Cross-sectoral impacts of climate change and socio-economic change for multiple, European land- and water-based sectors, Climatic Change, 128 (3-4) 279-292.
- Kebede AS, Dunford R, Mokrech M, Audsley E, Harrison PA, Holman IP, Nicholls RJ, Rickebusch S, Rounsevell MDA, Sabaté S, Sallaba F, Sanchez A, Savin C, Trnka M & Wimmer F (2015) Direct and indirect impacts of climate and socio-economic change in Europe: a sensitivity analysis for key land- and water-based sectors, Climatic Change, 128 (3-4) 261-277.
- Chiverton A, Hannaford J, Holman I, Corstanje R, Prudhomme C, Bloomfield J & Hess TM (2015) Which catchment characteristics control the temporal dependence structure of daily river flows?, Hydrological Processes, 29 (6) 1353-1369.
- Remesan R, Bellerby T & Holman I (2015) WRF model sensitivity to choice of parameterization: a study of the 'York Flood 1999', Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 122 (1-2) 229-247.
- Kok K, Bärlund I, Flörke M, Holman I, Gramberger M, Sendzimir J, Stuch B & Zellmer K (2015) European participatory scenario development: strengthening the link between stories and models, Climatic Change, 128 (3-4) 187-200.
- Bloodworth JW, Holman IP, Burgess PJ, Gillman S, Frogbrook Z & Brown P (2015) Developing a multi-pollutant conceptual framework for the selection and targeting of interventions in water industry catchment management schemes, Journal of Environmental Management , 161 153-162.
- Summers MF, Holman IP & Grabowski RC (2015) Adaptive management of river flows in Europe: A transferable framework for implementation, Journal of Hydrology, 531 (3) 696-705.
- Dubrovsky M, Trnka M, Holman IP, Svobodova E & Harrison PA (2015) Developing a reduced-form ensemble of climate change scenarios for Europe and its application to selected impact indicators, Climatic Change, 128 (3-4) 169-186.
- Elster D, Holman IP & Parker A (2015) Reply to Discussion on: An investigation of the basement complex aquifer system in Lofa county, Liberia, for the purpose of siting boreholes (Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, Vol. 47, 2014, pp. 159-167), Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, 48 (1) 72-167.
- Xiong W, van der Velde M, Holman IP, Balkovic J, Lin E, Skalsky R, Porter C, Jones J, Khabarov N & Obersteiner M (2014) Can climate-smart agriculture reverse the recent slowing of rice yield growth in China?, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 196 125-136.
- Elster D, Holman IP, Parker A & Rudge L (2014) An investigation of the basement complex aquifer system in Lofa county, Liberia, for the purpose of siting boreholes, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, 47 (2) 159-167.
- Rust W, Corstanje R, Holman IP & Milne AE (2014) Detecting land use and land management influences on catchment hydrology by modelling and wavelets, Journal of Hydrology, 517 378-389.
- Xiong W, Holman IP, You L, Yang J & Wu W (2014) Impacts of observed growing-season warming trends since 1980 on crop yields in China, Regional Environmental Change, 14 (1) 7-16.
- Harrison PA, Holman IP, Cojocaru G, Kok K, Kontogianni A, Metzger MJ & Gramberger M (2013) Combining qualitative and quantitative understanding for exploring cross-sectoral climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability in Europe, Regional Environmental Change, 13 (4) 761-780.
- Holman IP, Rushton KR & Simpson TB (2013) The benefits of spatially targeted water level management for salinity reduction in a coastal aquifer, Water Resources Management, 27 (1) 169-186.
- Taylor RG, Scanlon B, Doell P, Rodell M, van Beek R, Wada Y, Longuevergne L, Leblanc M, Famiglietti JS, Edmunds M, Konikow L, Green TR, Chen J, Taniguchi M, Bierkens MFP, MacDonald A, Fan Y, Maxwell RM, Yechieli Y, Gurdak JJ, Allen DM, Shamsudduha M, Hiscock K, Yeh PJ-F, Holman I & Treidel H (2013) Ground water and climate change, Nature Climate Change, 3 (4) 322-329.
- Xiong W, Holman I, Lin E, Conway D, Li Y & Wu WB (2012) Untangling relative contributions of recent climate and CO2 trends to national cereal production in China, Environmental Research Letters, 7 (4) Article No. 044014.
- Wang JX, Rothausen SGSA, Conway D, Zhang LJ, Xiong W, Holman IP & Li YM (2012) Chinas water energy nexus: Greenhouse-gas emissions from groundwater use for agriculture, Environmental Research Letters, 7 (1) Article No. 014035.
- Warren AJ & Holman IP (2012) Evaluating the effects of climate change on the water resources for the city of Birmingham, UK, Water and Environment Journal, 26 (3) 361-370.
- Glavan M, White SM & Holman IP (2012) Water quality targets and maintenance of valued landscape character - Experience in the Axe catchment, UK, Journal of Environmental Management , 103 142-153.
- Holman IP, Allen DM, Cuthbert MO & Goderniaux P (2012) Towards best practice for assessing the impacts of climate change on groundwater, Hydrogeology Journal, 20 (1) 1-4.
- Holman IP & Trawick P (2011) Developing adaptive capacity within groundwater abstraction management systems, Journal of Environmental Management , 92 (6) 1542-1549.
- Simpson TB, Holman IP & Rushton KR (2011) Understanding and modelling spatial drain-aquifer interactions in a low-lying coastal aquifer-the Thurne catchment, Norfolk, UK, Hydrological Processes, 25 (4) 580-592.
- Simpson T, Holman IP & Rushton K (2011) Drainage ditch-aquifer interaction with special reference to surface water salinity in the Thurne catchment, Norfolk, UK, Water and Environment Journal, 25 (1) 116-128.
- Holman IP, Hess TM & Rose SC (2011) A broad-scale assessment of the effect of improved soil management on catchment baseflow index, Hydrological Processes, 25 (16) 2563-2572.
- Glavan M, White S & Holman IP (2011) Evaluation of river water quality simulations at a daily time step-experience with SWAT in the Axe catchment, UK, CLEAN - Soil, Air, Water, 39 (1) 43-54.
- Holman IP, Rivas Casado M, Bloomfield JP & Gurdak JJ (2011) Identifying non-stationary groundwater level response to North Atlantic ocean-atmosphere teleconnection patterns using wavelet coherence, Hydrogeology Journal, 19 (6) 1269-1278.
- Xiong W, Holman I, Lin ED, Conway D, Jiang JH, Xu YL & Li Y (2010) Climate change, water availability and future cereal production in China, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 135 (1-2) 58-69.
- Archer DR, Climent-Soler D & Holman IP (2010) Changes in discharge rise and fall rates applied to impact assessment of catchment land use, Hydrology Research, 41 (1) 13-26.
- Holman IP, Howden NJK, Bellamy P, Willby N, Whelan MJ & Rivas Casado M (2010) An assessment of the risk to surface water ecosystems of groundwater P in the UK and Ireland, Science of the Total Environment, 408 (8) 1847-1857.
- Hess TM, Holman IP, Rose SC, Rosolova Z & Parrott A (2010) Estimating the impact of rural land management changes on catchment runoff generation in England and Wales., Hydrological Processes, 24 (10) 1357-1368.
- Climent-Soler D, Holman IP & Archer DR (2009) Application of flow variability analysis to identify impacts of agricultural land use change on the River Axe, southwest England, Hydrology Research, 40 (4) 380-393.
- Xiong W, Conway D, Lin E & Holman IP (2009) Potential impacts of climate change and climate variability on China"s rice yield and production, Climate Research, 40 (1) 23-35.
- Vale M & Holman Ian P (2009) Understanding the hydrological functioning of a shallow lake system within a coastal karstic aquifer in Wales, UK, Journal of Hydrology, 376 (1-2) 285-294.
- Holman IP, Tascone D & Hess TM (2009) A comparison of stochastic and deterministic downscaling methods for modelling potential groundwater recharge under climate change in East Anglia, UK: implications for groundwater resource management, Hydrogeology Journal, 17 (7) 1629-1641.
- Xiong W, Conway D, Lin E, Xu Y, Ju H, Jiang J, Holman IP & Li Y (2009) Future cereal production in China: The interaction of climate change, water availability and socio-economic scenarios, Global Environmental Change, 19 (1) 34-44.
- Holman IP, Rivas Casado M, Howden NJK, Bloomfield JP & Williams AT (2009) Linking North Atlantic ocean-atmosphere teleconnection patterns and hydrogeological responses in temperate groundwater systems, Hydrological Processes, 23 (21) 3123-3126.
- Holman Ian P, Rounsevell M D A, Berry P M & Nicholls R J (2008) Development and application of participatory integrated assessment software to support local/regional impact and adaptation assessment., Climatic Change, 90 (1-2) 1-4.
- Xiong W, Conway D, Holman IP & Lin E (2008) Evaluation of CERES-Wheat simulation of Wheat Production in China, Agronomy Journal, 100 (6) 1720-1728.
- Xiong W, Holman IP, Conway D, Lin E & Li Y (2008) A crop model cross calibration for use in regional climate impacts studies, Ecological Modelling, 213 (3-4) 365-380.
- Holman IP, Whelan MJ, Howden NJK, Bellamy PH, Willby NJ, Rivas Casado M & McConvey P (2008) Phosphorus in groundwater: an overlooked contributor to eutrophication?, Hydrological Processes, 22 (26) 5121-5127.
- Holman Ian P & Harman J (2008) Preliminary evaluation of the benefits of a participatory regional integrated assessment software., Climatic Change, 90 (1-2) 169-187.
- Henriques C, Holman IP, Audsley E & Pearn K (2008) An interactive multi-scale integrated assessment of future regional water availability for agricultural irrigation in East Anglia and North West England., Climatic Change, 90 (1-2) 89-111.
- Harrison PA, Berry PM, Henriques C & Holman IP (2008) Impacts of socio-economic and climate change scenarios on wetlands: linking water resource and biodiversity meta-models, Climatic Change, 90 (1-2) 113-139.
- Mokrech M, Nicholls RJ, Richards JA, Henriques C & Holman IP (2008) Regional impact assessment of flooding under future climate and socio-economic scenarios for East Anglia and North West England, Climatic Change, 90 (1-2) 31-55.
- Holman IP, Rounsevell MDA, Cojacaru G, Shackley S, Mclachlan C, Audsley E, Berry PM, Fontaine C, Harrison PA, Henriques C, Mokrech M, Nicholls RJ, Pearn KR & Richards JA (2008) The concepts and development of a participatory regional integrated assessment tool, Climatic Change, 90 (1-2) 5-30.
- Xiong W, Matthews R, Holman IP, Lin E & Xu Y (2007) Modelling China's potential maize production at regional scale under climate change, Climatic Change, 85 (3-4) 433-451.
- Holman Ian P (2006) Climate change impacts on groundwater recharge- uncertainty, shortcomings, and the way forward?, Hydrogeology Journal, 14 (5) 637-647.
- Holman Ian P, Palmer R C, Bellamy Patricia H & Hollis J M (2005) Validation of an intrinsic groundwater pollution vulnerability methodology using a national nitrate database., Hydrogeology Journal, 13 (5-6) 665-674.
- Marechal D & Holman Ian P (2005) Development and application of a soil classification-based conceptual catchment-scale hydrological model, Journal of Hydrology, 312 (1-4) 277-293.
- Holman IP, Rounsevell MDA, Shackley S, Harrison PA, Nicholls RJ, Berry PM & Audsley E (2005) A regional, multi-sectoral and integrated assessment of the impacts of climate and socio-economic change in the UK: I Methodology, Climatic Change, 71 (1-2) 9-41.
- Holman IP, Nicholls RJ, Berry PM, Harrison PA, Audsley E, Shackley S & Rounsevell MDA (2005) A regional, multi-sectoral and integrated assessment of the impacts of climate and socio-economic change in the UK: II Results, Climatic Change, 71 (1) 43-73.
- Holman Ian P, Nicholls R J, Berry P M, Harrison P A, Audsley Eric, Shackley S & Rounsevell M D A (2005) A Regional, Multi-sectoral And Integrated Assessment Of The Impacts Of Climate And Socio-economic Change In The Uk: Part II. Results, Climatic Change, 71 (1-2).
- Holman Ian P, Rounsevell M D A, Shackley S, Harrison P A, Nicholls R J, Berry P M & Audsley Eric (2005) A Regional, Multi-Sectoral And Integrated Assessment Of The Impacts Of Climate And Socio-Economic Change In The Uk: Part I. Methodology, Climatic Change, 71 (1-2).
- Holman Ian P, Dubus Igor G, Hollis J M & Brown Colin D (2004) Using a linked soil model emulator and unsaturated zone leaching model to account for preferential flow when assessing the spatially distributed risk of pesticide leaching to groundwater in England and Wales, Science of the Total Environment, 318 (1-3) 73-88.
- Holman Ian P, Hollis J M, Bramley M E & Thompson T R E (2003) The contribution of soil structural degradation to catchment flooding: a preliminary investigation of the 2000 floods in England and Wales., Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 7 (5) 754-765.
- Holman IP, Palmer RC & Leonaviciute N (2000) Using soil and Quaternary geological information to assess the intrinsic groundwater vunerability of shallow aquifers: an example from Lithuania, Hydrogeology Journal, 8 (6) 636-645.
- Holman I, Remesan R & Adeloye AJ (2013) Assessing the implications of baseline climate uncertainty on simulated hydrology of the Himalayan Beas river basin in NW India. In: AGU Fall Meeting 2013, San Francisco, 9 December 2013.
- Beven K, Romanowicz R, Young P, Holman IP, Posthumus H, Morris J, Rose S, O'Connell E & Ewen J (2008) An event classification approach to the identification of hydrological change. In: Defra Flood Risk and Coastal Management Conference 2008, Manchester, 1 July 2008.
- Holman IP, Whitehead J & Deeks LK (2007) Using SWAT to support the Habitats Directive in the UK- a case study from the east of England. In: 4th international SWAT conference , Delft, The Netherlands, 4 July 2007.
- Clarke MA, Creamer RE, Deeks LK, Gowing D, Holman IP, Jones RJA, Palmer RC, Potts S, Rickson RJ, Ritz K, Thompson TRE, Truckell IG, Vickery J, Whalley R & Woodcock B (2007) Soil compaction in England and Wales : a vulnerability assessment, state-of knowledge and recommendations for future research. In: Soils - fit for purpose ? : BSSS Annual Meeting 2007, Aberystwyth, UK, 1 September 2007.
- Henriques C & Holman IP (2006) The implications of future climate and socio-economic change for delivering environmental legislative requirements in East Anglia and North West England. In: British Hydrology Society 9th National Hydrology Symposium, Durham, 11 September 2006.
- Holman IP & Howsam P (2002) Regional implications of climate and societal change for achieving good ecological status. In: 2002 Science for Water - Implications for the Water Framework Directive Conference, Norwich, 1 January 2002.
- Holman IP & Palmer RC (1999) Groundwater protection incorporated into land use planning: a study from Cebu City, the Philippines.. In: Impacts of Urban Growth and Groundwater Quality, UK, 1 June 1999.
- Holman IP & Hiscock KM (1995) Controls on Saline Intrusion in the crag aquifer of north east Norfolk in an area of drained coastal marshes. In: Proceeding of the Fourth Annual Conference on Groundwater Pollution, UK, 1 July 1995.
- Holman IP, Loveland PJ, Bellamy PH, Jarvis N & Vachaud G CAMSCALE: upscaling, predictive models and catchment water quality. In: Proceedings of the European Climate Science Conference, Vienna, Vienna, Austria.
- Holman IP & Al Mulla M Application of SWAT in a Mountainous Arid Catchment in United Arab Emirates. In: 4th Inernational SWAT conference, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Holman IP & Naess LO (2008) Vulnerability Assessments in the Developed World: The UK and Norway. In: Assessing Vulnerability to Global Environmental Change- Making Research Useful for Adaptation Decision Making and Policy, Earthscan.
- Holman IP (2006) Regional hydrological impacts of climate and socio-economic change in North West England, UK. In: Water in Celtic Countries: Quantity, Quality and Climate Variability (Proceedings of the Fourth InterCeltic Colloquium on Hydrology and Management of Water Resources, Guimarýes, Portugal, July 2005), IAHS.