Contact Professor Graham Braithwaite
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754252
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @@GRBraithwaite
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/graham-braithwaite/8/8a/940
Areas of expertise
BackgroundGraham holds a BSc (hons) in Transport Management and Planning and a PhD in Aviation Safety Management from Loughborough University. In 1997, he moved to Australia to help grow the fledgling Aviation activity at the University of New South Wales from 35 students when he arrived to over 300 by the time he left in 2003. During this time he worked on a range of research projects with airlines, airport, ATC and safety consultancies and established airline and railway accident investigation courses. He also published a book entitled " Attitude or Latitude? Australian Aviation Safety" through Ashgate.
Graham joined Cranfield University in 2003 as the Director of the Safety and Accident Investigation Centre, was promoted to Head of the Department of Air Transport in 2006 and to Head of the Transport and Safety Engineering Division in 2013. He launched new multimodal investigation courses in 2004 and the world's first MSc for accident investigators in 2005.
In 2011, Graham led the University's successful bid for its third Queen's Anniversary Prize. This is the highest honour that can be awarded to a UK academic institution and was awarded for Cranfield's "world-leading work in aviation safety through research and teaching in air accident investigation." In 2012, he was given a 'Distinguished Alumni Award' by Loughborough University for his contribution to aviation safety and in 2013 he was able to collect the Flight Safety Foundation's Richard Teller Crane Founders Award on behalf of the University for its sustained corporate leadership in aviation safety.
Current activitiesProfessor Braithwaite is Director of Transport Systems and Professor of Safety and Accident Investigation. He is module leader for the Fundamentals of Accident Investigation and Aircraft Accident Investigation courses. He is particularly involved in the development and delivery of training for transport accident investigators which includes curriculum development, the use of simulations in teaching and the development of new techniques for investigation.
Graham is also involved in the development and assessment of safety culture within aviation. He regularly speaks at international symposia and conferences on the topic (such as Safeskies, the Royal Aeronautical Society, Shell Aircraft, CHC Safety & Quality Forum) and sits as the independent non-exec on the Thomson Airways Safety Review Board and as Independent Safety Adviser to the British Airways Board. He served as a member of the Advisory Board for the Singapore Aviation Academy for 7 years and is Chairman of the Investigator Education and Training Working Group of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators.
Graham is regularly called upon to provide expert advice on aviation safety from organisations including the news media (e.g. BBC, ITN, CNN), the aviation industry and the House of Commons Transport Select Committee.
Previous clients for tailored training courses include: AirAsia, Cathay Pacific Airways, British Airways, China Airlines, Monarch Airlines, easyJet, AirTanker, European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD), Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), Japanese Airline Pilots Association (JAPA), QinetiQ Technology Training, Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA), Belfast Airport and Hong Kong International Airport.
Previous clients for research and consultancy include: UK Civil Aviation Authority, Thomson Airways, European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) and Air Safety Support International (ASSI).
Articles In Journals
- Nixon J & Braithwaite GR (2018) What do aircraft accident investigators do and what makes them good at it? Developing a competency framework for investigators using grounded theory, Safety Science, 103 (March) 153-161.
- Lawrenson AJ & Braithwaite GR (2017) Regulation or criminalisation: What determines legal standards of safety culture in commercial aviation, Safety Science, 102 (February) 251-262.
- Li W-C, Yu C-S, Braithwaite G & Greaves M (2016) Pilot’s attention distributions between chasing a moving target and a stationary target, Aviation, space, and environmental medicine, 87 (12) 989-995.
- Langer M & Braithwaite GR (2016) The development and deployment of a maintenance operations safety survey, Human Factors, 58 (7) 986-1006.
- Underwood P, Waterson P & Braithwaite G (2016) 'Accident investigation in the wild' - A small-scale, field-based evaluation of the STAMP method for accident analysis, Safety Science, 82 129-143.
- Yu C-S, Wang EM, Li W-C, Braithwaite G & Greaves M (2016) Pilots’ visual scan pattern and attention distribution during the pursuit of a dynamic target, Aviation, space, and environmental medicine, 87 (1) 40-47.
- Yu C-S, Wang EM, Li W-C & Braithwaite G (2014) Pilots’ visual scan pattern and situation awareness in flight operations, Aviation, space, and environmental medicine, 85 (7) 708-714.
- Vuorio A, Rantonen J, Johnson C, Ollila T, Salminen S & Braithwaite G (2014) What fatal occupational accident investigators can learn from fatal aircraft accident investigations, Safety Science, 62 366-369.
- Rashid H, Place S & Braithwaite G (2014) Eradicating root causes of aviation maintenance errors: introducing the AMMP, Cognition, Technology and Work, 16 (1) 71-90.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR (2013) Investigating the investigations: a retrospective study in the aviation maintenance error causation
, Cognition, Technology and Work, 15 (2) 171-188.
- Braithwaite & GR (2010) Twenty-First Century Reliability: Accident Investigation and the Search for Systemic Failures, Safety & reliability : the journal of the Safety and Reliability Society, 30 (3) 47-57.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR (2010) Helicopter maintenance error analysis: Beyond the third order of the HFACS-ME, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 40 (6) 636-647.
- Mitchell SJ & Braithwaite GR (2008) Perceptions of safety and offshore helicopter travel, International journal of energy sector management, 2 (4) 479-498.
- Braithwaite GR (2001) Aviation rescue and firefighting in Australia - is it protecting the customer?, Journal of Air Transport Management, 7 (2) 111-118.
- Braithwaite GR, Caves RE & Faulkner JPE (1998) Australian aviation safety - observations from the 'lucky' country, Journal of Air Transport Management, 4 (1) 55-62.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR A proposal for an Aviation Maintenance Safety Monitoring Process, Safety Science.
- Li WC, Lin J, Braithwaite G & Greaves M (2016) The development of eye tracking in aviation (ETA) technique to investigate pilots' cognitive processes of attention and decision making. In: 32nd Conference of the European Association for Aviation Psychology, Cascais, 26-30 September 2016.
- Li W-C, Yu C-S, Greaves M & Braithwaite G (2016) How cockpit design impact on pilot’s attention distribution during aiming a stationary target. In: 6th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE 2015) and the Affiliated Conferences, Las Vegas, Nevada, 26-30 July 2015.
- Li W-C, Yu C-S, Braithwaite G & Greaves M (2015) The analysis of pilots fixation distribution for performing air-to-air and air-to-surface tasks. In: Contemporary Ergonomics and Human Factors, 2015, Daventry, 13 April 2015.
- Li W-C, Braithwaite G & Yu C-S (2014) The Investigation of Pilots’ Eye Scan Patterns on the Flight Deck during Air-to-Surface. In: 16th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction, Creta Maris, Heraklion, Crete, 22 June 2014.
- Braithwaite GR Working with the news media: practical tips for investigators. In: International Society of Air Safety Investigators 2014 Seminar, Adelaide, 13 October 2014.
- Braithwaite GR (2012) Accident Investigation - Are we reaching the systemic causes of accidents?. In: Twentieth Safety-critical Systems Symposium, Bristol, 7-9 February 2012.
- Langer M & Braithwaite G (2012) The development of the maintenance operations safety survey: challenges in transferring a predictive safety tool from flight operations to aircraft maintenance. In: International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI) 2012 Annual Seminar "Evolution of aviation safety - from reactive to predictive", Baltimore, Maryland, 27-30 August 2012.
- Boston N, Braithwaite & GR (2010) Hazards at Aircraft Accident Sites: Training Investigators in Line with the ICAO Circular 315 Guidelines. In: 41st Annual International Seminar of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators 2010, Sapporo, 7 September 2010.
- Greaves MJ & Braithwaite GR (2010) The Use of Commercial Satellite Imagery in Aircraft Accident Investigation: Results from Recent Trials. In: 41st Annual International Seminar of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators 2010, Sapporo, 7 September 2010.
- Rashid HS, Braithwaite GR & Place CS (2010)
A proposal for aviation maintenance safety monitoring process
- Mitchell, SJ, Braithwaite & GR (2009) Using the Best Cost Analysis for Effective Safety Recommendations. In: 40th Annual International Seminar of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators 2009, Orlando, 14 September 2009.
- Li WC, Braithwaite G, Greaves M, Hsu CK & Lin SC. The evaluation of pilots' attention distributions on the flight deck.. In: International Conference on Human Computer Interaction in Aerospace, Paris, 14 September 2016.
- Li WC, Hsu CK, Braithwaite G & Greaves M Pilots' scan-path and attention shifts during tactical maneuvers.. In: International Conference on Ergonomics and Human Factors 2016, Daventry, 19 April 2016.
- Li W-C, Hsu C-K, Braithwaite G & Greaves M Pilots' scan-path and attention shifts during tactical maneuvers.. In: International Conference on Ergonomics and Human Factors 2016, Daventry, 19 April 2016.
- Li W-C, Yu C-S, Braithwaite G & Greaves M Interface design and pilot’s attention distribution during pursuing a dynamic target. In: 17th International Conference on Human-Computer Interation (HCI 2015), Los Angeles, CA, 2-7 August 2015.
- Braithwaite GR (2017) The use of high-fidelity simulations in emergency management training. In: Forensic Science Education and Training, Hoboken, New Jersey, United States: Wiley, p. 235-252.
- Ho H, Su H, Li WC, Yu C & Braithwaite G. (2016) Pilots' latency of first fixation and dwell among regions of interest on the flight deck. In: Engineering Psychology and Cognitive Ergonomics; 12th International Conference, EPCE 2015, Held as Part of HCI International 2015, Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 2-7, 2015, Proceedings. Don Harris (ed.), Springer.
- Li W-C, White J, Braithwaite G, Greaves M & Lin J (2016) The evaluation of pilot's situation awareness during mode change on flight mode annunciators.. In: Engineering Psychology and Cognitive Ergonomics: 13th International Conference, EPCE 2016, Held as Part of HCI International 2016, Toronto, ON, Canada, July 17-22, 2016, Proceedings. Don Harris (ed.), Springer.
- Braithwaite GR (2011) Safety Management Systems in Aviation. In: Air transport in the 21st century: Key strategic developments. O'Connell JF, Williams G (ed.), Farnham: Ashgate, p. 317-328, ed. 1st.
- Braithwaite GR (2001) Attitude or latitude?: Australian aviation safety. Aldershot: Ashgate.