Contact Professor Andrew Thompson
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5012
- Email: email@example.com
- Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andrew-thompson-8b571117
Areas of expertise
BackgroundProf Thompson's first degree was in Microbiology and Genetics at University College London. His career as a plant scientist began when he moved to Durham University to join a group studying the molecular biology of seed storage proteins. Subsequently, he was awarded a PhD in 1990. An interest in post transcriptional regulation and RNA metabolism led to a postdoctoral position at University of Texas at Austin, working on catalytic RNAs from the algae Chlamydomonas.
Prof Thompson then returned to England to provide a molecular biological dimension to a plant water relations program at Horticulture Research International (HRI), a network of government-funded research institutes serving the horticulture industry. Ownership of HRI, Wellesbourne was later transferred to University of Warwick where he led the Water Use Research Group as Associate Professor in Warwick Life Sciences until 2012 when he joined Cranfield University.
Prof Thompson leads the Crop Water Use Group, working on multidisciplinary research to improve crop production when water is limiting. He has a current interest in the use of rootstocks to improve vigour and stress resistance in vegetable crops such as tomato and pepper and is currently working on the molecular genetics of root traits in tomato that may be useful to create new rootstock cultivars. His rootstock research was funded by the EU project Rootopower, and is currently supported by BBSRC and Syngenta in the RootLINK project. He is also developing genetic and genomic resources for studying drought resistance in tomatoes using the wild relatives of tomato Solanum sitiens and Solanum chilense in a project funded by BBSRC and the Indian Department of Biotechnology. He supervises PhD student projects related to aspects of plant development such as fruit abscission and truss branching in tomato. All these projects involve molecular genetic analysis using next generation sequencing, high-throughput genotyping and bioinformatic analysis in collaboration with the bioinformatics group at Cranfield.
ClientsEU, BBSRC, DEFRA, Agrochemical industry, Plant Breeding companies.
Articles In Journals
- Silva Ferreira D, Kevei Z, Kurowski T, de Noronha Fonseca ME, Mohareb F, Boiteux LS & Thompson A (2018) BIFURCATE FLOWER TRUSS: a novel locus controlling inflorescence branching in tomato contains a defective MAP kinase gene, Journal of Experimental Botany, 69 (10) 2581-2593. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4721560
- Hallett SH, Sakrabani R, Thompson AJ, Deeks LK & Knox JW (2017) Improving soil and water management for agriculture: insights and innovation from Malta, MCAST Journal of Applied Research and Practice, 1 40-59.
- Awan SZ, Chandler JO, Harrison PJ, Sergeant MJ, Bugg TDH & Thompson AJ (2017) Promotion of germination using hydroxamic acid inhibitors of 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase, Frontiers in Plant Science, 8. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4246577.v1
- Ferrández-Ayela A, Sánchez-García AB, Martínez-Andújar C, Kevei Z, Gifford ML, Thompson AJ, Pérez-Alfocea F & Pérez-Pérez JM (2016) Identification of novel stress-responsive biomarkers from gene expression datasets in tomato roots, Functional Plant Biology, 43 (8) 783-796.
- Badescu GO, Marsh A, Smith TR, Thompson AJ & Napier RM (2016) Kinetic characterisation of a single chain antibody against the hormone abscisic acid: comparison with its parental monoclonal, PLoS ONE, 11 (3).
- Albacete A, Martínez-Andújar C, Martínez-Pérez A, Thompson AJ, Dodd IC & Pérez-Alfocea F (2015) Unravelling rootstock×scion interactions to improve food security, Journal of Experimental Botany, 66 (8) 2211-2226.
- Harrison PJ, Newgas SA, Descombes F, Shepherd SA, Thompson AJ & Bugg TDH (2015) Biochemical characterization and selective inhibition of β-carotene cis-trans isomerase D27 and carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase CCD8 on the strigolactone biosynthetic pathway, FEBS Journal, 282 (20) 3986-4000.
- Kevei Z, King RC, Mohareb F, Sergeant MJ, Awan SZ & Thompson AJ (2015) Resequencing at ≥ 40-fold depth of the parental genomes of a Solanum lycopersicum × S. pimpinellifolium recombinant inbred line population and characterisation of frame-shift InDels that are highly likely to perturb protein function, G3, 5 (5) 971-981.
- Zhang K, Bosch-Serra AD, Boixadera J & Thompson AJ (2015) Investigation of Water Dynamics and the Effect of Evapotranspiration on Grain Yield of Rainfed Wheat and Barley under a Mediterranean Environment: A Modelling Approach, PLoS ONE, 10 (6) e0131360-e0131360.
- Schwarz D, Thompson AJ & Klaering H-P (2014) Guidelines to use tomato in experiments with a controlled environment, Frontiers in Plant Science, 5 (625).
- Van Norman JM, Zhang J, Cazzonelli CI, Pogson BJ, Harrison PJ, Bugg TDH, Chan KX, Thompson AJ & Benfey PN (2014) Periodic root branching in Arabidopsis requires synthesis of an uncharacterized carotenoid derivative, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111 (13) E1300-E1309.
- Raza S-E-A, Smith HK, Clarkson GJJ, Taylor G, Thompson AJ, Clarkson J & Rajpoot NM (2014) Automatic detection of regions in spinach canopies responding to soil moisture deficit using combined visible and thermal imagery, PLoS ONE, 9 (6) e97612-e97612.
- Mansoorkhani FM, Seymour GB, Swarup R, Moeiniyan Bagheri H, Ramsey RJL & Thompson AJ (2014) Environmental, developmental, and genetic factors controlling root system architecture, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews, 30 (2) 95-112.
- Sergeant MJ, Harrison PJ, Jenkins R, Moran GR, Bugg THD & Thompson AJ (2013) Phytotoxic effects of selected N-benzyl-benzoylhydroxamic acid metallo-oxygenase inhibitors: investigation into mechanism of action, New Journal of Chemistry, 37 (11) 3461-3465.
- Chope GA, Cools K, Hammond JP, Thompson AJ & Terry LA (2012) Physiological, biochemical and transcriptional analysis of onion bulbs during storage., Annals of Botany, 109 (4) 819-831.
- Zhang K, Hilton HW, Greenwood DJ & Thompson AJ (2011) A rigorous approach of determining FAO56 dual crop coefficient using soil sensor measurements and inverse modeling techniques, Agricultural Water Management, 98 (6) 1081-1090.
- Cools K, Chope GA, Hammond JP, Thompson AJ & Terry LA (2011) Ethylene and 1-methylcyclopropene differentially regulate gene expression during onion sprout suppression., Plant Physiology, 156 (3) 1639-1652.
- Harrison E, Burbidge A, Okyere JP, Thompson AJ & Taylor IB (2011) Identification of the tomato ABA-deficient mutant sitiens as a member of the ABA-aldehyde oxidase gene family using genetic and genomic analysis, Plant Growth Regulation, 64 (3) 301-309.
- Greenwood DJ, Zhang K, Hilton HW & Thompson AJ (2010) Opportunities for improving irrigation efficiency with quantitative models, soil water sensors and wireless technology, Journal of Agricultural Science, 148 (1) 1-16.
- López-Ráez JA, Kohlen W, Charnikhova T, Mulder P, Undas AK, Sergeant MJ, Verstappen F, Bugg TDH, Thompson AJ, Ruyter-Spira C & Bouwmeester H (2010) Does abscisic acid affect strigolactone biosynthesis?, New Phytologist, 187 (2) 343-354.
- Sergeant MJ, Li JJ, Fox C, Brookbank N, Rea D, Bugg TD & Thompson AJ (2009) Selective inhibition of carotenoid cleavage dioxygenases: phenotypic effects on shoot branching., Journal of Biological Chemistry, 284 (8) 5257-5264.
- Tung SA, Smeeton R, White CA, Black CR, Taylor IB, Hilton HW & Thompson AJ (2008) Over-expression of LeNCED1 in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) with the rbcS3C promoter allows recovery of lines that accumulate very high levels of abscisic acid and exhibit severe phenotypes, Plant, Cell and Environment, 31 (7) 968-981.
- Jones MO, Manning K, Andrews J, Wright C, Taylor IB & Thompson AJ (2008) The promoter from SlREO, a highly-expressed, root-specific Solanum lycopersicum gene, directs expression to cortex of mature roots, Functional Plant Biology, 35 (12) 1224-1233.
- Smith TR, Clark AJ, Napier R, Taylor PC, Thompson AJ & Marsh A (2007) Function and stability of abscisic acid acyl hydrazone conjugates by LC-MS2 of ex vivo samples, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 18 (4) 1355-1359.
- Thompson AJ, Mulholland BJ, Jackson AC, McKee JMT, Hilton HW, Symonds RC, Sonneveld T, Burbidge A, Stevenson P & Taylor IB (2007) Regulation and manipulation of ABA biosynthesis in roots, Plant, Cell and Environment, 30 (1) 67-78.
- Dilly SJ, Bell MJ, Clark AJ, Marsh A, Napier RM, Sergeant MJ, Thompson AJ & Taylor PC (2007) A photoimmobilisation strategy that maximises exploration of chemical space in small molecule affinity selection and target discovery, Chemical Communications (27) 2808-2810.
- Thompson AJ, Andrews J, Mulholland BJ, McKee JMT, Hilton HW, Horridge JS, Farquhar GD, Smeeton RC, Smillie IRA, Black CR & Taylor IB (2007) Overproduction of abscisic acid in tomato increases transpiration efficiency and root hydraulic conductivity and influences leaf expansion, Plant Physiology, 143 (4) 1905-1917.
- Manning K, Tör M, Poole M, Hong Y, Thompson AJ, King GJ, Giovannoni JJ & Seymour GB (2006) A naturally occurring epigenetic mutation in a gene encoding an SBP-box transcription factor inhibits tomato fruit ripening, Nature Genetics, 38 (8) 948-952.
- Taylor IB, Sonneveld T, Bugg TDH & Thompson AJ (2005) Regulation and manipulation of the biosynthesis of abscisic acid, including the supply of xanthophyll precursors, Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, 24 (4) 253-273.
- Barry CS, McQuinn RP, Thompson AJ, Seymour GB, Grierson D & Giovannoni JJ (2005) Ethylene insensitivity conferred by the Green-ripe and Never-ripe 2 ripening mutants of tomato, Plant Physiology, 138 (1) 267-275.
- Thompson AJ, Thorne ET, Burbidge A, Jackson AC, Sharp RE & Taylor IB (2004) Complementation of notabilis, an abscisic acid-deficient mutant of tomato: Importance of sequence context and utility of partial complementation, Plant, Cell and Environment, 27 (4) 459-471.
- Mulholland BJ, Taylor IB, Jackson AC & Thompson AJ (2003) Can ABA mediate responses of salinity stressed tomato, Environmental and Experimental Botany, 50 (1) 17-28.
- Tör M, Manning K, King GJ, Thompson AJ, Jones GH, Seymour GB & Armstrong SJ (2002) Genetic analysis and FISH mapping of the Colourless non-ripening locus of tomato, Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 104 (2-3) 165-170.
- Taylor IB, Burbidge A & Thompson AJ (2000) Control of abscisic acid synthesis, Journal of Experimental Botany, 51 (350) 1563-1574.
- Thompson AJ, Jackson AC, Parker RA, Morpeth DR, Burbidge A & Taylor IB (2000) Abscisic acid biosynthesis in tomato: regulation of zeaxanthin epoxidase and 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase mRNAs by light/dark cycles, water stress and abscisic acid, Plant Molecular Biology, 42 (6) 833-845.
- Thompson AJ, Jackson AC, Symonds RC, Mulholland BJ, Dadswell AR, Blake PS, Burbidge A & Taylor IB (2000) Ectopic expression of a tomato 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase gene causes over-production of abscisic acid, Plant Journal, 23 (3) 363-374.
- Taylor IB, Burbidge A & Thompson AJ (2000) Control of abscisic acid synthesis, Journal of Experimental Botany, 51 (350) 1563-1574.
- Burbidge A, Grieve TM, Jackson A, Thompson A, McCarty DR & Taylor IB (1999) Characterization of the ABA-deficient tomato mutant notabilis and its relationship with maize Vp14, Plant Journal, 17 (4) 427-431.
- Thompson AJ, Tor M, Barry CS, Vrebalov J, Orfila C, Jarvis MC, Giovannoni JJ, Grierson D & Seymour GB (1999) Molecular and genetic characterization of a novel pleiotropic tomato-ripening mutant, Plant Physiology, 120 (2) 383-390.
- Corlett JE, Wilkinson S & Thompson AJ (1998) Diurnal control of the drought-inducible putative histone H1 gene in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. L.), Journal of Experimental Botany, 49 (323) 945-952.
- Thompson AJ & Myatt SC (1997) Tetracycline-dependent activation of an upstream promoter reveals transcriptional interference between tandem genes within T-DNA in tomato, Plant Molecular Biology, 34 (4) 687-692.
- Burbidge A, Grieve T, Jackson A, Thompson A & Taylor I (1997) Structure and expression of a cDNA encoding a putative neoxanthin cleavage enzyme (NCE), isolated from a wilt-related tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) library, Journal of Experimental Botany, 48 (12) 2111-2112.
- Burbidge A, Grieve T, Terry C, Corlett J, Thompson A & Taylor I (1997) Structure and expression of a cDNA encoding zeaxanthin epoxidase, isolated from a wilt-related tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) library, Journal of Experimental Botany, 48 (9) 1749-1750.
- Masgrau C, Altabella T, Farrás R, Flores D, Thompson AJ, Besford RT & Tiburcio AF (1997) Inducible overexpression of oat arginine decarboxylase in transgenic tobacco plants, Plant Journal, 11 (3) 465-473.
- Corlett JE, Myatt SC & Thompson AJ (1996) Toxicity symptoms caused by high expression of Tet represser in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. L.) are alleviated by tetracycline, Plant, Cell and Environment, 19 (4) 447-454.
- Dürrenberger F, Thompson AJ, Herrin DL & Rochaix J-D (1996) Double strand break-induced recombination in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplasts, Nucleic Acids Research, 24 (17) 3323-3331.
- Thompson AJ & Corlett JE (1995) mRNA levels of four tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. L.) genes related to fluctuating plant and soil water status, Plant, Cell and Environment, 18 (7) 773-780.
- Thompson AJ & Herrin DL (1994) A chloroplast group I intron undergoes the first step of reverse splicing into host cytoplasmic 5.8 S rRNA: implications for intron-mediated RNA recombination, intron transposition and 5.8 S rRNA structure., Journal of Molecular Biology, 236 (2) 455-468.
- Thompson AJ, Yuan X, Kudlicki W & Herrin DL (1992) Cleavage and recognition pattern of a double-strand-specific endonuclease (I-creI) encoded by the chloroplast 23S rRNA intron of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii., Gene, 119 (2) 247-251.
- Thompson AJ & Herrin DL (1991) In vitro self-splicing reactions of the chloroplast group I intron Cr.LSU from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and in vivo manipulation via gene-replacement., Nucleic Acids Research, 19 (23) 6611-6618.
- Herrin DL, Bao Y, Thompson AJ & Chen YF (1991) Self-splicing of the Chlamydomonas chloroplast psbA introns., Plant Cell, 3 (10) 1095-1107.
- Thompson AJ, Bown D, Yaish S & Gatehouse JA (1991) Differential expression of seed storage protein genes in the pea-legJ subfamily - sequence of gene-legK, Biochemie und Physiologie der Pflanzen, 187 (1) 1-12.
- Thompson AJ, Evans IM, Boulter D, Croy RRD & Gatehouse JA (1989) Transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulation of seed storage-protein gene-expression in pea (Pisum sativum L.), Planta, 179 (3) 279-287.
- Croy RRD, Evans IM, Yarwood JN, Harris N, Gatehouse JA, Shirsat AH, Kang AS, Ellis JR, Thompson AJ & Boulter D (1988) Expression of legumin sequences in pea, Nicotiana and yeast, Biochemie und Physiologie der Pflanzen, 183 (2-3) 183-197.
- Thompson AJ, Pico MB, Yetisir H, Cohen R & Bebeli PJ (2017) Chapter 3: Rootstock breeding: current practices and future technologies. In: Vegetable Grafting: Principles and Practice, CABI, p. 70-93.
- Pico MB, Thompson AJ, Gisbert C, Yetisir H, Bebeli & PJ (2017) Chapter 2: Genetic resources for rootstock breeding. In: Vegetable Grafting: Principles and Practice, CABI, p. 22-69.
- Dyer T, Thompson AJ & Herrin DL (1993) Chloroplast molecular biology. In: Plant Molecular Biology LABFAX. RRD Croy (ed.), Oxford: Bios Scientific Publishers, p. 293-308.