Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Yadira Bajón Fernández is a Chemical Engineer by background and holds a PhD in applied sciences by Cranfield University. Yadira’s core research area is in bioresources treatment, including anaerobic digestion of waste materials and municipal sludge, AD pre-treatment technologies and biosolids to land. She has a track record in operation and optimisation of anaerobic digesters for treatment of different feedstocks and a particular interest in understanding ADs stable operating envelope. Yadira also does extensive work in wastewater treatment, looking at gas to liquid mass transfer in rheologically complex fluids and low energy technologies for wastewater treatment in rural works.
Her research interests are in bioresources and wastewater treatment. Current activities are linked to:
- Anaerobic digestion of sewage sludge, municipal solid waste and energy crops
- Thermal and biological pre-treatments to boost anaerobic digestion performance
- Sludge treatment as a manufacturing process
- Sludge and wastewater treatment in rural works
- Biosolids to land
- Trade waste treatment
Yadira also facilitates the UK Wastewater Network, which links 11 major water utilities and 3 universities, called the Wastewater Network.
Articles In Journals
- Rocamora I, Wagland ST, Casado MR, Hassard F, Villa R, Peces M, Simpson EW, Fernández O & Bajón-Fernández Y (2022) Managing full-scale dry anaerobic digestion: semi-continuous and batch operation, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 10 (4) Article No. 108154.
- Villa R, Jantová-Patel J & Bajón Fernández Y (2022) Novel insight on the impact of enzymatic addition on organic loading rate in anaerobic digestion, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 13 (4) 2109-2120. Dataset/s: 10.21253/DMU.9896036
- Blair LAG, Bajon Fernandez Y & Villa R (2022) An exploratory study of the impact and potential of menstrual hygiene management waste in the UK, Cleaner Engineering and Technology, 7 (April) Article No. 100435.
- Rocamora I, Wagland ST, Villa R, Simpson EW, Fernández O & Bajón-Fernández Y (2022) Use of inoculum, water and percolate as strategy to avoid inhibition on dry-batch anaerobic digestion of organic fraction of municipal solid waste, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 13 (1) 227-239.
- Mercer E, Usher SP, McAdam EJ, Stoner B & Bajón-Fernández Y (2021) On the compressional rheology of fresh faeces: evidence for improving community scale sanitation through localised dewatering, Water Research, 204 (October) Article No. 117526.
- Paritosh K, Kumar V, Pareek N, Sahoo D, Bajon Fernandez Y, Coulon F, Radu T, Kesharwani N & Vivekanand V (2021) Solid state anaerobic digestion of water poor feedstock for methane yield: an overview of process characteristics and challenges, Waste Disposal and Sustainable Energy, 3 (3) 227-245.
- Fane S, Nocker A, Vale P, Casado MR, Cartmell E, Harris J, Bajón Fernández Y & Tyrrel S (2021) Characterisation and control of the biosolids storage environment: Implications for E. coli dynamics, Science of the Total Environment, 752 (January) Article No. 141705.
- Alibardi L, Vale P & Bajón Fernández Y (2021) Full-scale trials to achieve low total phosphorus in effluents from sewage treatment works, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 40 (April) Article No. 101981.
- Mercer E, Usher SP, McAdam EJ, Stoner B & Bajón-Fernández Y (2021) Rheological characterisation of synthetic and fresh faeces to inform on solids management strategies for non-sewered sanitation systems, Journal of Environmental Management, 300 (December) Article No. 113730. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16616230
- Muntau M, Lebuhn M, Polag D, Bajón-Fernández Y & Koch K (2021) Effects of CO2 enrichment on the anaerobic digestion of sewage sludge in continuously operated fermenters, Bioresource Technology, 332 (July) Article No. 125147.
- Sancho Martinez J, Bajon Fernandez Y, Leinster P & Rivas Casado M (2020) Combining unmanned aircraft systems and image processing for wastewater treatment plant asset inspection, Remote Sensing, 12 (9) Article No. 1461.
- Fane S, Vale P, Bajón-Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Nocker A, Harris J & Tyrrel S (2020) Influence of innate sludge factors and ambient environmental parameters in biosolids storage on indicator bacteria survival: A review, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 11 (11) 6105-6114.
- Freeman D, Fernández YB, Wilson A, McKew BA, Whitby C, Clark DR, Jefferson B, Coulon F & Hassard F (2020) Nitrogen oxidation consortia dynamics influence the performance of full-scale rotating biological contactors, Environment International, 135 (February) Article No. 105354.
- Rocamora I, Wagland ST, Villa R, Simpson EW, Fernández O & Bajón-Fernández Y (2020) Dry anaerobic digestion of organic waste: A review of operational parameters and their impact on process performance, Bioresource Technology, 299 (March) Article No. 122681.
- Spence A, Madrigal EB, Patil R & Bajón Fernández Y (2019) Evaluation of anaerobic digestibility of energy crops and agricultural by-products, Bioresource Technology Reports, 5 (February) 243-250.
- Fane S, Madureira D, Nocker A, Vale P, Rivas Casado M, Wilson A, Bajón-Fernández Y, Harris J, Cartmell E & Tyrrel S (2019) Disruption of cells in biosolids affects E. coli dynamics in storage, H2Open Journal, 2 (1) 101-112.
- Khomenko O, Dotro G, Jefferson B, Coulon F, Bajón Fernandez Y, (2019) Influence of sludge layer properties on the hydraulic behaviour of gravel-based vertical flow constructed wetlands for primary treatment of sewage, Science of the Total Environment, 691 (November) 1137-1143.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Vale P, Koch K, Masse AL & Cartmell E (2019) Enhancing the anaerobic digestion process through carbon dioxide enrichment: Initial insights into mechanisms of utilisation, Environmental Technology, 40 (13) 1744-1755.
- Alibardi L, Green K, Favaro L, Vale P, Soares A, Cartmell E & Bajón Fernández Y (2017) Performance and stability of sewage sludge digestion under CO 2 enrichment: a pilot study, Bioresource Technology, 245 (Part A) 581-589.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Koch K, Vale P & Cartmell E (2017) Bioconversion of carbon dioxide in anaerobic digesters for on-site carbon capture and biogas enhancement - A review, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (17) 1555-1580.
- Koch K, Huber B, Bajón Fernández Y & Drewes JE (2016) Methane from CO2: Influence of different CO2 concentrations in the flush gas on the methane production in BMP tests, Waste Management, 49 36-39.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Green K, Schuler K, Soares A, Vale P, Alibardi L & Cartmell E (2015) Biological carbon dioxide utilisation in food waste anaerobic digesters, Water Research, 87 467-475.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Soares A, McAdam E, Vale P, Darche-Dugar C & Jefferson B (2015) Gas to liquid mass transfer in rheologically complex fluids, Chemical Engineering Journal, 273 656-667.
- Koch K, Bajón Fernández Y & Drewes J (2015) Influence of headspace flushing on methane production in Biochemical Methane Potential (BMP) tests, Bioresource Technology, 186 173-178.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Villa R, Vale P & Cartmell E (2014) Carbon capture and biogas enhancement by carbon dioxide enrichment of anaerobic digesters treating sewage sludge or food waste, Bioresource Technology, 159 1-7.