Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Yadira Bajón Fernández is a Chemical Engineer by background and holds a PhD in applied sciences by Cranfield University. Yadira’s core research area is in bioresources treatment, including anaerobic digestion of waste materials and municipal sludge, AD pre-treatment technologies and biosolids to land. She has a track record in operation and optimisation of anaerobic digesters for treatment of different feedstocks and a particular interest in understanding ADs stable operating envelope. Yadira also does extensive work in wastewater treatment, looking at gas to liquid mass transfer in rheologically complex fluids and low energy technologies for wastewater treatment in rural works.
Her research interests are in bioresources and wastewater treatment. Current activities are linked to:
- Anaerobic digestion of sewage sludge, municipal solid waste and energy crops
- Thermal and biological pre-treatments to boost anaerobic digestion performance
- Sludge treatment as a manufacturing process
- Sludge and wastewater treatment in rural works
- Biosolids to land
- Trade waste treatment
Yadira also facilitates the UK Wastewater Network, which links 11 major water utilities and 3 universities, called the Wastewater Network.
Articles In Journals
- Rocamora I, Wagland ST, Villa R, Simpson EW, Fernández O & Bajón-Fernández Y (2020) Dry anaerobic digestion of organic waste: A review of operational parameters and their impact on process performance, Bioresource Technology, 299 (March) Article No. 122681.
- Freeman D, Bajón Fernández Y, Wilson A, McKew BA, Whitby C, Clark DR, Jefferson B, Coulon F & Hassard F (2020) Nitrogen oxidation consortia dynamics influence the performance of full-scale rotating biological contactors, Environment International, 135 (February) Article No. 105354.
- Freeman D, Fernández YB, Wilson A, McKew BA, Whitby C, Clark DR, Jefferson B, Coulon F & Hassard F (2020) Nitrogen oxidation consortia dynamics influence the performance of full-scale rotating biological contactors, Environment International, 135 (February) Article No. 105354.
- Spence A, Madrigal EB, Patil R & Bajón Fernández Y (2019) Evaluation of anaerobic digestibility of energy crops and agricultural by-products, Bioresource Technology Reports, 5 (February) 243-250.
- Fane S, Vale P, Bajón-Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Nocker A, Harris J & Tyrrel S (2019) Influence of innate sludge factors and ambient environmental parameters in biosolids storage on indicator bacteria survival: A review, Waste and Biomass Valorization, Published online 31 October 2019.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Vale P, Koch K, Masse AL & Cartmell E (2019) Enhancing the anaerobic digestion process through carbon dioxide enrichment: Initial insights into mechanisms of utilisation, Environmental Technology, 40 (13) 1744-1755.
- Khomenko O, Dotro G, Jefferson B, Coulon F, Bajón Fernandez Y, (2019) Influence of sludge layer properties on the hydraulic behaviour of gravel-based vertical flow constructed wetlands for primary treatment of sewage, Science of the Total Environment, 691 (November) 1137-1143.
- Fane S, Madureira D, Nocker A, Vale P, Rivas Casado M, Wilson A, Bajón-Fernández Y, Harris J, Cartmell E & Tyrrel S (2019) Disruption of cells in biosolids affects E. coli dynamics in storage, H2Open Journal, 2 (1) 101-112.
- Alibardi L, Green K, Favaro L, Vale P, Soares A, Cartmell E & Bajón Fernández Y (2017) Performance and stability of sewage sludge digestion under CO 2 enrichment: a pilot study, Bioresource Technology, 245 (Part A) 581-589.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Koch K, Vale P & Cartmell E (2017) Bioconversion of carbon dioxide in anaerobic digesters for on-site carbon capture and biogas enhancement - A review, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (17) 1555-1580.
- Koch K, Huber B, Bajón Fernández Y & Drewes JE (2016) Methane from CO2: Influence of different CO2 concentrations in the flush gas on the methane production in BMP tests, Waste Management, 49 36-39.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Green K, Schuler K, Soares A, Vale P, Alibardi L & Cartmell E (2015) Biological carbon dioxide utilisation in food waste anaerobic digesters, Water Research, 87 467-475.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Soares A, McAdam E, Vale P, Darche-Dugar C & Jefferson B (2015) Gas to liquid mass transfer in rheologically complex fluids, Chemical Engineering Journal, 273 656-667.
- Koch K, Bajón Fernández Y & Drewes J (2015) Influence of headspace flushing on methane production in Biochemical Methane Potential (BMP) tests, Bioresource Technology, 186 173-178.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Villa R, Vale P & Cartmell E (2014) Carbon capture and biogas enhancement by carbon dioxide enrichment of anaerobic digesters treating sewage sludge or food waste, Bioresource Technology, 159 1-7.