Contact Dr Sofia Kourmpetli
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2808
- Email: S.Kourmpetli@cranfield.ac.uk
- Twitter: @sofia_kour
- Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/sofia-kourmpetli-0816a410
Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Kourmpeti is a recently appointed Lecturer at the School of Water, Energy and Environment with an interest on cereal grain development and quality. She holds a degree in Agriculture from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece and she has worked as an agronomist in the private and public sector before pursuing a career in research and education. During her PhD at the University of Nottingham and Rothamsted Research she got extensive experience on the development of tissue culture and plant genetic manipulation techniques, while as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Leicester she has developed a wide a range of molecular biology and bioinformatics skills working on fruit and grain development and evolution.
- PhD in Plant Sciences (2009), University of Nottingham and Rothamsted Research, UK
- MSc in Plant Genetic Manipulation (2004), University of Nottingham, UK
- BSc in Agriculture, with Specialization in Horticulture and Viticulture (2001), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Current activitiesDr Kourmpetli's research area is focused on grain development and the genetic control of grain quality traits in cereal crops. She is particularly interested in investigating the genetic regulatory networks that link fundamental developmental biology with metabolic processes in the grain, with the aim of gaining a better understanding of the complex mechanisms that control grain quality and identify targets for potential crop improvement.
- The Leverhulme Trust
Articles In Journals
- Kourmpetli S & Drea S (2014) The fruit, the whole fruit, and everything about the fruit, Journal of Experimental Botany, 65 (16) 4491-4503.
- Kourmpetli S, Lee K, Hemsley R, Rossignol P, Papageorgiou T & Drea S (2013) Bidirectional promoters in seed development and related hormone/stress responses, BMC Plant Biology, 13.
- Grant-Downton R, Kourmpetli S, Hafidh S, Khatab H, Le Trionnaire G, Dickinson H & Twell D (2013) Artificial microRNAs reveal cell-specific differences in small RNA activity in pollen, Current Biology, 23 (14) R599-R601.
- Hands P, Kourmpetli S, Sharples D, Harris R & Drea S (2012) Analysis of grain characters in temperate grasses reveals distinctive patterns of endosperm organization associated with grain shape, Journal of Experimental Botany, 63 (17) 6253-6266.
- Bhattacharya A, Kourmpetli S, Ward D, Thomas S, Gong F, Powers S, Carrera E, Taylor B, Gonzalez F, Tudzynski B, Phillips A, Davey M & Hedden P (2012) Characterization of the fungal gibberellin desaturase as a 2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase and its utilization for enhancing plant growth, Plant Physiology, 160 (2) 837-845.
- Vosnakis N, Maiden A, Kourmpetli S, Hands P, Sharples D & Drea S (2012) A FILAMENTOUS FLOWER orthologue plays a key role in leaf patterning in opium poppy, Plant Journal, 72 (4) 662-673.
- Le Trionnaire G, Grant-Downton R, Kourmpetli S, Dickinson H & Twell D (2011) Small RNA activity and function in angiosperm gametophytes, Journal of Experimental Botany, 62 (5) 1601-1610.
- Bhattacharya A, Kourmpetli S & Davey M (2010) Practical applications of manipulating plant architecture by regulating gibberellin metabolism, Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, 29 (2) 249-256.
- Kourmpetli S, Bhattacharya A, Davey M, Power J, Hedden P & Phillips A (2009) Genetic control of stature in ornamental species, Acta Horticulturae, 817 135-142.
- Dijkstra C, Adams E, Bhattacharya A, Page A, Anthony P, Kourmpetli S, Power J, Lowe K, Thomas S, Hedden P, Phillips A & Davey M (2008) Over-expression of a gibberellin 2-oxidase gene from Phaseolus coccineus L. enhances gibberellin inactivation and induces dwarfism in Solanum species, Plant Cell Reports, 27 (3) 463-470.
- Geuten K, Viaene T, Vekemans D, Kourmpetli S & Drea S (2013) Analysis of developmental control genes using virus-induced gene silencing. In: Virus-induced gene silencing: methods and protocols, Humana Press, p. 61-69.
- Davey M, Soneji J, Rao M, Kourmpetli S, Bhattacharya A & Kole C (2010) Generation and deployment of transgenic crop plants: an overview. In: Transgenic crop plants: principles and development, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, p. 1-29.