Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Environmental Policy
- Managing Corporate Sustainability
- Monitoring & Environmental Informatics
BackgroundDr Simon Jude joined Cranfield University in May 2010 as a Research Fellow. He completed his MSc and PhD at the School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
Prior to this post, he worked for the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research’s Coastal Research Programme, where he was involved in a wide range of projects. These included developing and testing innovative virtual reality visualisation tools to communicate the impacts of future coastal change, and exploring the use of such tools in the economic valuation of landscape change and participatory coastal management processes.
Dr Jude was also a member of the team developing the Tyndall Coastal Simulator decision-support system, and worked with spatial planners and decision-makers from the UK, France and Netherlands, to evaluate the impact of climate change on coastal habitats and its implications for spatial planning processes and the EU Habitats Directive.
More recently Dr Jude has worked in the offshore renewable energy sector developing spatial analysis tools to evaluate and mitigate project risks.
Current activitiesDr Jude's research focuses on the challenges associated with adapting to climate change, particularly the risk that climate change poses to the coastal zone and critical infrastructure, and the need to improve participatory decision-making in adaptation planning.
A second strand of research focuses on risks to the marine environment, particularly those associated with climate change, marine renewable energy developments and marine spatial planning. This work builds on his experience of the offshore renewables industry where he helped to develop spatial risk analysis tools and conducted GIS-based risk analysis for numerous European wind farm and submarine interconnector projects.
Simon in a member of the Cefas Marine Climate Change Centre (MC3) Steering Committee.
- Marine Management Organisation
- Infrastructure utilities
Articles In Journals
- Jude SR, Drew GH, Pollard SJT, Rocks SA, Jenkinson K & Lamb R (2017) Delivering organisational adaptation through legislative mechanisms: Evidence from the Adaptation Reporting Power (Climate Change Act 2008), Science of the Total Environment, 574 (January) 858-871.
- Azhoni A, Holman I & Jude S (2017) Contextual and interdependent causes of climate change adaptation barriers: Insights from water management institutions in Himachal Pradesh, India, Science of the Total Environment, 576 817-828.
- Willsteed E, Gill AB, Birchenough SN & Jude S (2017) Assessing the cumulative environmental effects of marine renewable energy developments: Establishing common ground, Science of the Total Environment, 577 19-32.
- Wright G, O'Hagan A.M, de Groot J, Leroy Y, Soininen N, Salcido R, Castelos M.A, Jude S, Rochette J & Kerr S (2016) Establishing a legal research agenda for ocean energy, Marine Policy, 63 (January) 126-134.
- Kerr S, Watts L, Colton J, Conway F, Hull A, Johnson K, Jude S, Kannen A, MacDougall S, McLachlan C, Potts T & Vergunst J (2014) Establishing an agenda for social studies research in marine renewable energy, Energy Policy, 67 694-702.
- Davies GJ, Kendall G, Soane E, Li J, Rocks SA, Jude SR & Pollard SJ (2014) Regulators as agents: modelling personality and power as evidence is brokered to support decisions on environmental risk, Science of the Total Environment, 466-467 74-83.
- Muro M, Hrudey S, Jude S, Heath L & Pollard S (2012) Making it real: what risk managers should know about community engagement, Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 14 (2).
- Mokrech M, Hanson S, Nicholls RJ, Wolf J, Walkden M, Fontaine CM, Nicholson-Cole S, Jude SR, Leake J, Stansby P, Watkinson AR, Rounsevell MDA, Lowe JA & Hall JW (2011) The Tyndall coastal simulator, Journal of Coastal Conservation, 15 (3) 325-335.
- Bateman IJ, Day BH, Jones AP & Jude S (2009) Reducing gain-loss asymmetry: A virtual reality choice experiment valuing land use change, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 58 (1) 106-118.
- Jude S (2008) Investigating the potential role of visualization techniques in participatory coastal management, Coastal Management, 36 (4) 331-349.
- Jude SR, Jones AP, Watkinson AR, Brown I & Gill JA (2007) The development of a visualization methodology for integrated coastal management, Coastal Management, 35 (5) 525-544.
- Brown I, Jude S, Koukoulas S, Nicholls R, Dickson M & Walkden M (2006) Dynamic simulation and visualisation of coastal erosion, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 30 (6) 840-860.
- Jude S, Jones AP, Andrews JE & Bateman IJ (2006) Visualisation for participatory coastal zone management: A case study of the Norfolk coast, England, Journal of Coastal Research, 22 (6) 1527-1538.
- Nicholls R, Hanson S, Mokrech M, Stansby P, Chini N, Walkden M, Dawson R, Roche N, Hall J, Nicholson-Cole S, Watkinson A, Jude S, Lowe J, Wolf J, Leake J, Rounsevell M, Fontaine C & Acosta-Michlik L (2008) The Tyndall coastal simulator and interface. In: Coastal Engineering 2008: 31st International Conference, Hamburg, 31 August 2008.