Areas of expertise
- Surface Engineering
Simon Gray, Senior Research Fellow in Coating Technology, is responsible for running the high-temperature materials/coating performance and thermal spray facility in the Surface Engineering and Precision Institute at Cranfield University.
Current activities include:
- High-temperature corrosion fatigue (both high cycle and low cycle) looking at performance and development of alloys and coating systems for the gas turbine industry. A major output is to provide data and develop lifing models for critical components.
- Accelerated oxidation of alloys and coating systems to rapidly rank materials for use in gas turbines. A cheaper and more selective equivalent to a burner rig.
- High-temperature corrosion of alloys and coatings
- Assessing cyclic oxidation performance of new alloys
- Oxidation and phase studies of intermetallics
- Rolls-Royce Plc
- Siemens Gas Turbines
- MTU Aeroengines
- Industria de Turbo Propulsores (ITP)
- Wood Group
- Cannon Muskegon
Articles In Journals
- Mobbs R-L, Ramsay JD, Reynolds TD, Gray S, Osgerby S & Taylor MP (2021) Simultaneous thermographic and optical recording media examination of the first oxide spallation event from the surface of an austenitic stainless steel, Corrosion Science, 179 (February) Article No. 109103.
- Syed AU, Duarte Martinez F, Roberts T, Encinas-Oropesa A, Morar NI, Grohne M, Frommherz M, Nicholls JR & Gray S (2021) Performance comparison between isothermal hot corrosion and in situ cyclic hot corrosion of nickel-based superalloys, Oxidation of Metals, Available online 28 June 2021.
- Syed AU, Duarte Martinez F, Roberts T, Encinas-Oropresa, Morar NI, Grohne M, Frommherz M, Nicholls JR & Gray S (2021) Performance comparison between isothermal hot corrosion and in situ cyclic hot corrosion of nickel-based superalloys, Oxidation of Metals, Available online 28 June 2021.
- Chapman N, Gray S, Sumner J & Nicholls J (2021) Stress corrosion testing of CMSX-4, CM247LC DS and IN6203DS Ni-base superalloys, Oxidation of Metals, 95, (1-2) 85-104.
- Chapman N, Gray S, Sumner J & Nicholls J (2020) Surface roughness evolution to identify incubation time for hot corrosion of nickel-base superalloys: CMSX-4, CM247LC DS and IN6203DS at 550 °C, Oxidation of Metals, Available online 24 September 2020 (5-6).
- Brooking L, Gray S, Dawson K, Nicholls JR, Simms NJ, Sumner J & Tatlock GJ (2019) Analysis of combined static load and low temperature hot corrosion induced cracking in CMSX-4 at 550°C, Corrosion Science, 163 (February) Article No. 108293.
- Iralal Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Marithumu S, Gray S, Roberts T & Nicholls J (2018) Investigation of recast and crack formation in laser trepanning drilling of CMSX-4 angled holes, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 95 (9-12) 4059-4070.
- Smialek JL & Gray S (2018) Low temperature hot corrosion screening of single crystal superalloys, Materials, 11 (11) Article No. 2098.
- Smialek JL & Gray S (2018) Type II hot corrosion screening tests of a Cr2AlC MAX phase compound, Oxidation of Metals, 90 (5-6) 555-570.
- Morar N, Roy R, Gray S, Nicholls J & Mehnen J (2018) Modelling the influence of laser drilled recast layer thickness on the fatigue performance of CMSX-4, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 67-74.
- Chapman N, Brooking L, Sumner J, Gray S & Nicholls J (2018) Corrosion fatigue testing: the combined effect of stress and high temperature corrosion, Materials at High Temperatures, 35 (1-3) 151-158.
- Brooking L, Sumner J, Gray S & Simms N (2018) Stress corrosion of Ni-based superalloys, Materials at High Temperatures, 35 (1-3) 120-129.
- Brooking L, Gray S, Sumner J, Nicholls JR, Marchant G & Simms NJ (2018) Effect of stress state and simultaneous hot corrosion on the crack propagation and fatigue life of single crystal superalloy CMSX-4, International Journal of Fatigue, 116 (November) 106-117.
- Brooking L, Gray S, Sumner J, Nicholls JR & Simms NJ (2018) Interaction of hot corrosion fatigue and load dwell periods on a nickel-base single crystal superalloy, International Journal of Fatigue, 117 (December) 13-20.
- Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Nicholls J & Gray S (2017) The effect of trepanning speed of laser drilled acute angled cooling holes on the high temperature low cycle corrosion fatigue performance of CMSX-4 at 850 °C, International Journal of Fatigue, 102 (September) 112-120. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4978220
- Sumner J, Aksoul Q, Delgado J, Potter A & Gray S (2017) Impact of deposit recoat cycle length on hot corrosion of CMSX-4, Oxidation of Metals, 87 (5) 767-778.
- Cockings HL, Perkins K & Gray S (2017) Optimisation of a salt deposition technique for the corrosion-fatigue testing of nickel based superalloys, Materials at High Temperatures, In Press (5).
- Gibson GJ, Perkins KM, Gray S & Leggett AJ (2016) Influence of shot peening on high-temperature corrosion and corrosion-fatigue of nickel based superalloy 720Li, Materials at High Temperatures, 33 (3) 225-233.
- Haight H, Potter A, Sumner J & Gray S (2015) New Technique to Map Hot Corrosion Damage: CMSX-4 Example, Oxidation of Metals, 84 (5-6) 607-619.
- Brewster G, Edmonds IM & Gray S (2014) The effect of volatilisation of refractory metal oxides on the cyclic oxidation of Ni-base superalloys, Oxidation of Metals, 81 (3-4) 345-356.
- Foss BJ, Gray S, Hardy MC, Stekovic S, McPhail DS & Shollock BA (2013) Analysis of shot-peening and residual stress relaxation in the nickel-based superalloy RR1000, Acta Materialia, 61 (7) 2548-2559.
- Taylor MP, Evans HE, Gray S & Nicholls JR (2011) A chromia forming thermal barrier coating system, Materials and Corrosion / Werkstoffe und Korrosion, 62 (7) 668-673.
- Gray S, Jacobs MH, Ponton CB, Voice W & Evans HE (2004) A method of heat-treatment of near γ-TiAl to enhance oxidation resistance by the formation of a Ti5Si3 layer, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 384 (1-2) 77-82.
- Gray S, Berriche-Bouhanek K & Evans HE (2004) Oxide growth stresses in an austenitic stainless steel determined by creep extension, Materials Science Forum, 461-464 755-764.
- Gray S, Taylor MP, Chau E & Evans HE (2003) Evaluation of the critical oxide thickness to initiate spallation from a LPPS CoNiCrAlY coating, Journal of Corrosion Science and Engineering, 6 (Paper H016).
- Duarte Martinez F, Morar NI, Kothari M, Gibson G, Leggett J, Mason-Flucke J, Nicholls JR, Gastelluccio GM & Gray S (2020) Investigation into the effects of salt chemistry and SO2 on the crack initiation of CMSX-4 in static loading conditions. In: Superalloys 2020, Cham: Springer.
- Brooking L, Ferguson C, Mason-Flucke J, Gibson G, Leggett J, Palmer I, Nicholls JR & Gray S (2020) Measurement and evaluation of co-existing crack propagation in single-crystal superalloys in hot corrosion fatigue environments. In: Superalloys 2020, Cham: Springer.