Areas of expertise
- Surface Engineering
Simon Gray, Senior Research Fellow in Coating Technology, is responsible for running the high-temperature materials/coating performance and thermal spray facility in the Surface Engineering and Precision Institute at Cranfield University.
Current activities include:
- High-temperature corrosion fatigue (both high cycle and low cycle) looking at performance and development of alloys and coating systems for the gas turbine industry. A major output is to provide data and develop lifing models for critical components.
- Accelerated oxidation of alloys and coating systems to rapidly rank materials for use in gas turbines. A cheaper and more selective equivalent to a burner rig.
- High-temperature corrosion of alloys and coatings
- Assessing cyclic oxidation performance of new alloys
- Oxidation and phase studies of intermetallics
- Rolls-Royce Plc
- Siemens Gas Turbines
- MTU Aeroengines
- Industria de Turbo Propulsores (ITP)
- Wood Group
- Cannon Muskegon
Articles In Journals
- Brooking L, Gray S, Dawson K, Nicholls JR, Simms NJ, Sumner J & Tatlock GJ (2019) Analysis of combined static load and low temperature hot corrosion induced cracking in CMSX-4 at 550°C, Corrosion Science, 163 (February) Article No. 108293.
- Iralal Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Marithumu S, Gray S, Roberts T & Nicholls J (2018) Investigation of recast and crack formation in laser trepanning drilling of CMSX-4 angled holes, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 95 (9-12) 4059-4070.
- Smialek JL & Gray S (2018) Low temperature hot corrosion screening of single crystal superalloys, Materials, 11 (11) Article No. 2098.
- Smialek JL & Gray S (2018) Type II hot corrosion screening tests of a Cr2AlC MAX phase compound, Oxidation of Metals, 90 (5-6) 555-570.
- Morar N, Roy R, Gray S, Nicholls J & Mehnen J (2018) Modelling the influence of laser drilled recast layer thickness on the fatigue performance of CMSX-4, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 67-74.
- Chapman N, Brooking L, Sumner J, Gray S & Nicholls J (2018) Corrosion fatigue testing: the combined effect of stress and high temperature corrosion, Materials at High Temperatures, 35 (1-3) 151-158.
- Brooking L, Sumner J, Gray S & Simms N (2018) Stress corrosion of Ni-based superalloys, Materials at High Temperatures, 35 (1-3) 120-129.
- Brooking L, Gray S, Sumner J, Nicholls JR, Marchant G & Simms NJ (2018) Effect of stress state and simultaneous hot corrosion on the crack propagation and fatigue life of single crystal superalloy CMSX-4, International Journal of Fatigue, 116 (November) 106-117.
- Brooking L, Gray S, Sumner J, Nicholls JR & Simms NJ (2018) Interaction of hot corrosion fatigue and load dwell periods on a nickel-base single crystal superalloy, International Journal of Fatigue, 117 (December) 13-20.
- Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Nicholls JR & Gray S (2017) The effect of trepanning speed of laser drilled acute angled cooling holes on the high temperature low cycle corrosion fatigue performance of CMSX-4 at 850°C, International Journal of Fatigue, 102 (September) 112-120.
- Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Nicholls J & Gray S (2017) The effect of trepanning speed of laser drilled acute angled cooling holes on the high temperature low cycle corrosion fatigue performance of CMSX-4 at 850 °C, International Journal of Fatigue, 102 (September) 112-120. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4978220
- Sumner J, Aksoul Q, Delgado J, Potter A & Gray S (2017) Impact of deposit recoat cycle length on hot corrosion of CMSX-4, Oxidation of Metals, 87 (5) 767-778.
- Cockings HL, Perkins K & Gray S (2017) Optimisation of a salt deposition technique for the corrosion-fatigue testing of nickel based superalloys, Materials at High Temperatures, In Press (5).
- Gibson GJ, Perkins KM, Gray S & Leggett AJ (2016) Influence of shot peening on high-temperature corrosion and corrosion-fatigue of nickel based superalloy 720Li, Materials at High Temperatures, 33 (3) 225-233.
- Haight H, Potter A, Sumner J & Gray S (2015) New Technique to Map Hot Corrosion Damage: CMSX-4 Example, Oxidation of Metals, 84 (5-6) 607-619.
- Brewster G, Edmonds IM & Gray S (2014) The effect of volatilisation of refractory metal oxides on the cyclic oxidation of Ni-base superalloys, Oxidation of Metals, 81 (3-4) 345-356.
- Foss BJ, Gray S, Hardy MC, Stekovic S, McPhail DS & Shollock BA (2013) Analysis of shot-peening and residual stress relaxation in the nickel-based superalloy RR1000, Acta Materialia, 61 (7) 2548-2559.
- Taylor MP, Evans HE, Gray S & Nicholls JR (2011) A chromia forming thermal barrier coating system, Materials and Corrosion / Werkstoffe und Korrosion, 62 (7) 668-673.
- Gray S, Jacobs MH, Ponton CB, Voice W & Evans HE (2004) A method of heat-treatment of near γ-TiAl to enhance oxidation resistance by the formation of a Ti5Si3 layer, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 384 (1-2) 77-82.
- Gray S, Berriche-Bouhanek K & Evans HE (2004) Oxide growth stresses in an austenitic stainless steel determined by creep extension, Materials Science Forum, 461-464 755-764.
- Gray S, Taylor MP, Chau E & Evans HE (2003) Evaluation of the critical oxide thickness to initiate spallation from a LPPS CoNiCrAlY coating, Journal of Corrosion Science and Engineering, 6 (Paper H016).