Contact Dr Sameer Rahatekar
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754685
- Email: S.S.Rahatekar@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aerospace Structures
- Biomass and Waste
- Biomedical Engineering
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Aerospace Materials
- Sustainable Manufacturing
Dr Sameer Rahatekar earned his PhD at University of Cambridge where he worked on nano-composites modelling and manufacturing. He worked as a postdoctoral researcher at National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), USA where he worked on manufacturing strong and multi-functional natural polymer based fibres using ionic liquids as a benign solvent. He also worked on nano-particles dispersion, rheology and nano-composites manufacturing at NIST. He was a lecturer at the Advanced Composite Centre for Innovation and Science (ACCIS) at University of Bristol where he worked on manufacturing strong of cellulose fibres as precursors for carbon fibres and on nano-particles reinforced carbon/glass fibre composites for improved fracture toughness, erosion resistance and lightening strike protection of composites parts used in aerospace industry.
My research is focused on utilisation of natural polymers such as cellulose and chitin for engineering and biomedical use. We have developed environmentally benign method of fibre spinning regenerated high performance cellulose, chitin and chitosan fibres. The high performance cellulose fibres can be used for making renewable/sustainable composites. We have also developed a making foams from cellulose and chitin/chitosan which can be used in biodegradable packaging as well for biomedical use.
I also work on manufacturing toughed glass/carbon fibre composites using nanoparticles and rubber as toughening agents. We have develop a unique roll on coating process to produce of nanoparticles reinforced carbon/glass fibre multi-scale composites in improved conductivity, fracture toughness and strength.
The Royal Academy of Engineering
Articles In Journals
- Adu C, Rahatekar S, Filby J, Ayre D & Jolly M (2019) Structural packaging foams prepared by uni-directional freezing of paper sludge cellulose nanofibres and poly (vinyl alcohol), Materials Letters, 253 (October) 242-245.
- Coscia MG, Bhardwaj J, Singh N, Santonicola MG, Richardson R, Thakur VK & Rahatekar S (2018) Manufacturing and characterization of regenerated cellulose/curcumin based sustainable composites fibers spun from environmentally benign solvents, Industrial Crops and Products, 111 (January) 536-543.
- Eichhorn SJ, Rahatekar SS, Vignolini S & Windle AH (2017) New horizons for cellulose nanotechnology, Philosophical Transactions A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 376 (2112) 1-5.
- Kuzmina O, Bhardwaj J, Vincent SR, Wanasekara ND, Kalossaka L, Griffith J, Potthast A, Rahatekar S, Eichhorn SJ & Welton T (2017) Superbase ionic liquids for effective cellulose processing from dissolution to carbonisation, Green Chemistry, 19 (24) 5949-5957.
- Shivakumar Gouda PS, Williams JD, Yasaee M, Chatterjee V, Jawali D, Rahatekar SS & Wisnom MR (2016) Drawdown prepreg coating method using epoxy terminated butadiene nitrile rubber to improve fracture toughness of glass epoxy composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 50 (7) 873-884.
- Stanier DC, Ciambella J & Rahatekar SS (2016) Fabrication and characterisation of short fibre reinforced elastomer composites for bending and twisting magnetic actuation, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 91 (1) 168-176.
- Zhu C, Richardson RM, Potter KD, Koutsomitopoulou AF, Van Duijneveldt JS, Vincent SR, Wanasekara ND, Eichhorn SJ & Rahatekar SS (2016) High modulus regenerated cellulose fibers spun from a low molecular weight microcrystalline cellulose solution, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 4 (9) 4545-4553.
- Wanasekara ND, Michud A, Zhu C, Rahatekar S, Sixta H & Eichhorn SJ (2016) Deformation mechanisms in ionic liquid spun cellulose fibers, Polymer, 99 (September) 222-230.
- Singh N, Chen JH, Koziol KK, Hallam KR, Janas D, Patil AJ, Strachan A, Hanley JG & Rahatekar SS (2015) Chitin and carbon nanotube composites as biocompatible scaffolds for neuron growth, Nanoscale, 8 (15) 8288-8299.
- Mehta AS, Singh BK, Singh N, Archana D, Snigdha K, Harniman R, Rahatekar SS, Tewari RP & Dutta PK (2015) Chitosan silk-based three-dimensional scaffolds containing gentamicin-encapsulated calcium alginate beads for drug administration and blood compatibility, Journal of Biomaterials Applications, 29 (9) 1314-1325.
- Amroune S, Bezazi A, Belaadi A, Zhu C, Scarpa F, Rahatekar S & Imad A (2015) Tensile mechanical properties and surface chemical sensitivity of technical fibres from date palm fruit branches (Phoenix dactylifera L.), Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 71 95-106. Dataset/s: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2014.12.011
- Chen JH, Trevarthen JA, Deng T, Bradley MSA, Rahatekar SS & Koziol KKK (2014) Aligned carbon nanotube reinforced high performance polymer composites with low erosive wear, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 67 86-95.
- Zhu C, Chen J, Koziol KK, Gilman JW, Trulove PC & Rahatekar SS (2014) Effect of fibre spinning conditions on the electrical properties of cellulose and carbon nanotube composite fibres spun using ionic liquid as a benign solvent, eXPRESS Polymer Letters, 8 (3) 154-163.
- Shivakumar Gouda PS, Chatterjee V, Barhai PK, Jawali D, Rahatekar S & Wisnom MR (2014) Improved fracture toughness in carbon fibre epoxy composite through novel pre-preg coating method using epoxy terminated butadiene nitrile rubber, Materials and Design, 62 320-326.
- Stanier DC, Patil AJ, Sriwong C, Rahatekar SS & Ciambella J (2014) The reinforcement effect of exfoliated graphene oxide nanoplatelets on the mechanical and viscoelastic properties of natural rubber, Composites Science and Technology, 95 59-66. Dataset/s: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2014.02.007
- Singh N, Rahatekar SS, Koziol KKK, Sky Ng TH, Patil AJ, Mann S, Hollander AP & Kafienah W (2013) Directing chondrogenesis of stem cells with specific blends of cellulose and silk, Biomacromolecules, 14 (5) 1287-1298.
- Broughton WR, Koukoulas T, Woolliams P, Williams J & Rahatekar SS (2013) Assessment of nanoparticle loading and dispersion in polymeric materials using optical coherence tomography, Polymer Testing, 32 (7) 1290-1298.
- Williams J, Graddage N & Rahatekar S (2013) Effects of plasma modified carbon nanotube interlaminar coating on crack propagation in glass epoxy composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 54 173-181.
- Singh N, Koziol KKK, Chen J, Patil AJ, Gilman JW, Trulove PC, Kafienah W & Rahatekar SS (2013) Ionic liquids-based processing of electrically conducting chitin nanocomposite scaffolds for stem cell growth, Green Chemistry, 15 (5) 1192-1202.
- Williams J, Broughton W, Koukoulas T & Rahatekar SS (2013) Plasma treatment as a method for functionalising and improving dispersion of carbon nanotubes in epoxy resins, Journal of Materials Science, 48 (3) 1005-1013.
- Russ M, Rahatekar SS, Koziol K, Farmer B & Peng HX (2013) Length-dependent electrical and thermal properties of carbon nanotube-loaded epoxy nanocomposites, Composites Science and Technology, 81 42-47.
- Haward SJ, Sharma V, Butts CP, McKinley GH & Rahatekar SS (2012) Shear and Extensional Rheology of Cellulose/Ionic Liquid Solutions, Biomacromolecules, 13 (5) 1688-1699.
- Haward SJ, Sharma V, Butts CP, McKinley GH & Rahatekar SS (2012) Shear and extensional rheology of cellulose/ionic liquid solutions, Biomacromolecules, 13 (5) 1688-1699.
- Pujari S, Rahatekar S, Gilman JW, Koziol KK, Windle AH & Burghardt WR (2011) Shear-induced anisotropy of concentrated multiwalled carbon nanotube suspensions using x-ray scattering, Journal of Rheology, 55 (5) 1033-1058. Dataset/s: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2009.07.015
- Rahatekar SS, Zammarano M, Matko S, Koziol KK, Windle AH, Nyden M, Kashiwagi T & Gilman JW (2010) Effect of carbon nanotubes and montmorillonite on the flammability of epoxy nanocomposites, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 95 (5) 870-879.
- Rahatekar SS, Shaffer MSP & Elliott JA (2010) Modelling percolation in fibre and sphere mixtures: Routes to more efficient network formation, Composites Science and Technology, 70 (2) 356-362.
- Pujari S, Rahatekar SA, Gilman JW, Koziol KK, Windle AH & Burghardt WR (2009) Orientation dynamics in multiwalled carbon nanotube dispersions under shear flow, Journal of Chemical Physics, 130 (21).
- Rahatekar SS, Rasheed A, Jain R, Zammarano M, Koziol KK, Windle AH, Gilman JW & Kumar S (2009) Solution spinning of cellulose carbon nanotube composites using room temperature ionic liquids, Polymer, 50 (19) 4577-4583. Dataset/s: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2009.07.015
- Rahatekar SS, Koziol KK, Kline SR, Hobbie EK, Gilman JW & Windle AH (2009) Length-dependent mechanics of carbon-nanotube networks, Advanced Materials, 21 (8) 874-878.
- Rahatekar S, Rasheed A, Jain R, Zammarano M, Koziol K, Windle A, Kumar S & Gilman J (2009) Processing of natural fibers nanocomposites using ionic liquids, ECS Transactions, 16 (49) 119-127.
- Trulove P, Reichert W, De Long H, Kline S, Rahatekar S, Gilman J & Muthukumar M (2009) The structure and dynamics of silk and cellulose dissolved in ionic liquids, ECS Transactions, 16 (49) 111-117.
- Haggenmueller R, Rahatekar SS, Fagan JA, Chun J, Becker ML, Naik RR, Krauss T, Carlson L, Kadla JF, Trulove PC, Fox DF, DeLong HC, Fang Z, Kelley SO & Gilman JW (2008) Comparison of the quality of aqueous dispersions of single wall carbon nanotubes using surfactants and biomolecules, Langmuir, 24 (9) 5070-5078.
- Zammarano M, Krämer RH, Harris Jr R, Ohlemiller TJ, Shields JR, Rahatekar SS, Lacerda S & Gilman JW (2008) Flammability reduction of flexible polyurethane foams via carbon nanofiber network formation, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 19 (6) 588-595.
- Bellayer S, Gilman JW, Rahatekar SS, Bourbigot S, Flambard X, Hanssen LM, Guo H & Kumar S (2007) Characterization of SWCNT and PAN/SWCNT films, Carbon, 45 (12) 2417-2423.
- Ma AWK, Mackley MR & Rahatekar SS (2007) Experimental observation on the flow-induced assembly of Carbon nanotube suspensions to form helical bands, Rheologica Acta, 46 (7) 979-987.
- Rahatekar S, Shaffer M & Elliott J (2006) Electrical percolation in carbon nanotube dispersions: a mesoscale modeling and experimental study, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 920 (January) 63-69.
- Rahatekar SS, Koziol KKK, Butler SA, Elliott JA, Shaffer MSP, Mackley MR & Windle AH (2006) Optical microstructure and viscosity enhancement for an epoxy resin matrix containing multiwall carbon nanotubes, Journal of Rheology, 50 (5) 599-610.
- Rahatekar S, Gilman J, Koziol K, Butler S, Elliott J, Shaffer M, Mackley M & Windle A (2006) Effect of aggregation on the rheological properties of carbon nanotube dispersions, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 953 (January) 7-12.
- Rahatekar S & Roux J (2005) Injection pultrusion simulation for polyester/glass mat/rovings/mat composites, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 24 (1) 53-68.
- Rahatekar S, Hamm M, Shaffer M & Elliott J (2005) Mesoscale modeling of electrical percolation in fiber-filled systems, Journal of Chemical Physics, 123 (13) Article No. 134702. Dataset/s: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2031147
- Rahatekar S, Roux J, Lackey E & Vaughan J (2005) Multiple injection port simulation for resin injection pultrusion, Polymers and Polymer Composites, 13 (6) 559-570.
- Rahatekar S & Roux J (2004) Epoxy/glass resin injection pultrusion simulation, Polymers and Polymer Composites, 12 (7) 537-550.
- Rahatekar S & Roux J (2003) Numerical simulation of pressure variation and resin flow in injection pultrusion, Journal of Composite Materials, 37 (12) 1067-1082.
- Stanier D, Rahatekar S & Ciambella J (2015) Magnetic response of aligned nickel coated carbon fibres in a pdms matrix. In: Constitutive Models for Rubber IX - Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Constitutive Models for Rubbers (ECCMR), Prague, 1 September 2015.
- Trevarthen J, Janas D, Wisnom M, Rahatekar S & Koziol K Interfacial characterisation and optimisation of carbon nanotube fibres. In: 16th European conference on composite materials (ECCM16), Seville, 22 June 2014.
- Zhu C, Chen J, Gilman J, Trulove P, Krzysztof K & Rahatekar S Fiber spinning and characterization of cellulose and chitin nanocomposite fibers. In: The Fiber Society Fall Meeting and Technical Conference 2013, Clemson, SC, 23-25 October 2013.
- Koukoulas T, Broughton W, Williams J & Rahatekar S (2013) Optical characterisation of polymeric nanocomposites using tomographic, spectroscopic and Fraunhofer wavefront assessment. In: Optical Systems Design, 2012, Barcelona, 26-29 November 2012.
- Stanier D, Ciambella J, Rahatekar S, Patil A & Mann S The reinforcement effects of graphene oxide nanoplatelets on the mechanical and viscoelastic properties of natural rubber. In: 8th European Conference on Constitutive Models for Rubbers, 2013, San Sebastian, 25-28 June 2013.
- Rahatekar SS, Zhu CC, Koziol KK, Zammarano M, Rashid A, Gilman JW & Kumar S (2012) Cellulose and chitin nanocomposites based electrically conducting textile fibres and films. In: 243rd Meeting of the American Chemical Society, San Diego, 25-29 March 2012.
- Rahatekar SS, Singh N, Koziol K, Patil A, Mann S, Hollander A & Kafienah W (2012) Cellulose based scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering. In: 243rd Meeting of the American Chemical Society, San Diego, 25-29 March 2012.
- Nyden M & Rahatekar S (2009) Recent developments in modeling the dispersion and agglomeration of carbon nanotubes in polymers. In: 20th Annual Conference on Recent Advances in Flame Retardancy of Polymeric Materials 2009, Stamford, CT, 1-3 June 2009.
- Pujari S, Burghardt W, Rahatekar S, Windle A & Koziol K (2008) Shear induced alignment of multi-walled carbon nanotube dispersions via small angle x-ray scattering. In: The XVth International Congress on Rheology, Monterey, California, 3-8 August 2008.
- Zammarano M, Krämer R, Harris R, Ohlemiller T, Shields J, Rahatekar S & Gilman J (2007) Flexible polyurethane foams nanocomposites. In: 18th Annual Conference on Recent Advances in Flame Retardancy of Polymeric Materials, Stamford, CT, 21-23 May 2007.
- Lackey E, Chaware R, Inamdar K, Patil V, Rahatekar S, Skelton B, Smith J & Worrel L (2000) Experimental examination of photoinitiated resins used in filament winding. In: 32nd International SAMPE Technical Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, 5-9 November 2000.