Rachael is a reader in Applied Materials where her research to-date has been investigating the effects of extreme conditions on material behaviour specialising in novel materials, chemistries and biological systems. Specifically, high pressure and variable temperature explosive and ballistic events have led to the majority of my recent work on armour systems and personal protective equipment- investigating applying advanced functional materials for this purpose and characterising their behaviour experimentally and computationally. I am experienced in the derivation of material behaviour under dynamic shock compression as well as blast pressure and often consult with both military and security personnel on the effects of pressure on structures and materials. I lecture extensively on several M-Level courses on topics focused on material response from explosive/ballistic events, specifically focused on PPE, vehicle armour and structures. I also teach and manage core modules on the Forensics Explosive and Explosion Investigation MSc and Forensic Ballistic MSc.
Rachael was shortlisted for the Women In Defence Awards 2022 in the Research and Innovation category
She was also selected as a Finalist, Top 50 Women in Engineering 2023: Safety and Security.
She is the head of the AMPEG (Advanced Materials for Protective Engineering Group) at Cranfield Defence and Security:
I currently lecture on the response of materials to impact events such as armour materials for vehicle and body armour to several courses on site. I also have an interest in the response of bio materials to impact events such as: tissue analogues, microbes and organic molecules.
Articles In Journals
- Collett G, Ladyman M, Temple T, Hazael R & McNaught K (2023) Introducing Bayesian belief updating as a method to counter improvised explosive devices: a qualitative case study on identifying human behaviours associated with explosive chemical precursor diversion, Security Journal, Available online 21st August 2023.
- Read J, Ritchie T, Brown L, Bloodworth-Race S, Thawani B, Hazael R & Critchley R (2023) Quantification of fragmentation capture materials and an assessment of the viability of economical alternatives: a preliminary study, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 381 (2259).
- Watson KE, Henwood BJ, Hewins K, Roberts A & Hazael R (2023) Ballistic impact of hollow-point ammunition on porcine bone, Journal of Forensic Sciences, 68 (4) 1121-1132.
- Thawani B, Hazael R & Critchley R (2023) Assessing the pressure losses during hydrogen transport in the current natural gas infrastructure using numerical modelling, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Available online 8 June 2023.
- Read J, Hazael R & Critchley R (2023) Penetration performance of protective materials from crossbow attack: a preliminary study, Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology, Available online 13 March 2023.
- Thawani B, Batchelor T, Painter J, Hazael R & Critchley R (2023) Multi-impact response of CR4 mild steel: Characterising the transition from absorption to failure, Engineering Research Express, 5 (1) Article No. 015061.
- Thawani B, Lim SK, Brown L, Critchley R & Hazael R (2023) Design of multi-layered protection against guided mortar threats through numerical modeling, Defence Technology, Available online 28 January 2023.
- Critchley R, Hazael R, Bhatti K, Wood D, Peare A, Johnson S & Temple T (2022) Blast mitigation using polymeric 3D printed auxetic lattice structures - a preliminary study, International Journal of Protective Structures, 13 (3) 469-486.
- Read J, Hazael R & Critchley R (2022) Soft tissue simulants for survivability assessment—a sustainability focussed review, Applied Sciences, 12 (10) Article No. 4954.
- Bloodworth-Race S, Critchley R, Peare A, Hazael R & Temple T (2021) Testing the blast response of foam inserts for helmets, Heliyon, 7 (5) Article No. e06990.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Painter JD, Wood DC & Hazael R (2021) The effects of quasi-one-dimensional shock on Escherichia coli while controlling pressure and temperature, Icarus, 359 (May) Article No. 114221.
- Rickman JM, Painter J & Hazael R (2021) A scanning electron microscopy study of projectile entry fractures in cortical bone; genesis and microarchitectural features, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 136 (2) 629-648.
- Thawani B, Hazael R & Critchley R (2021) Numerical modelling study of a modified sandbag system for ballistic protection, Journal of Computational Science, 53 (July) Article No. 101403.
- Collet G, Ladyman MK, Hazael R & Temple TJ. (2021) The use of a predictive threat analysis to propose revisions to existing risk assessments for precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of home-made explosives (HME), Heliyon, 7 (12) Article No. e08343.
- Rao P, Painter J, Appleby-Thomas G, Critchley R, Wood D, Roberts & Hazael R (2020) Fragmentation studies by non-explosive cylinder expansion technique, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 146 (December) Article No. 103714.
- Hazael R, Matsuda S, Mori Y, Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas G, Painter JD, Meersman F, Richaud M, Galas S, Saini NL, Ono F & McMillan PF (2019) Pressure tolerance of Artemia cysts compressed in water medium, High Pressure Research, 39 (2) Article No. GHPR 1575378.
- Foglia F, Hazael R, Meersman F, Wilding MC, García Sakai V, Rogers S, Bove LE, Marek Koza M, Moulin M, Haertlein M, Forsyth VT & McMillan PF (2019) In Vivo water dynamics in Shewanella oneidensis bacteria at high pressure, Scientific Reports, 9 Article No. 8716. Dataset/s: 10.5286/ISIS.E.RB1410406, 10.5291/ILL-DATA.8-04-785
- Knapp CE, Dyer C, Chadwick NP, Hazael R & Carmalt CJ (2018) Metal β-diketoiminate precursor use in aerosol assisted chemical vapour deposition of gallium- and aluminium-doped zinc oxide, Polyhedron, 140 35-41.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Painter J, Gibson M, Wood DC, Hazael R & Hazell PJ (2018) On differences in the equation-of-state for a selection of seven representative mammalian tissue analogue materials, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 77 (January) 586-593.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Painter JD, Ono F, McMillan PF, Hazael R & Meersman F (2017) Tolerance of Artemia to static and shock pressure loading, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 950 (4) Article No. 042002.
- Hazael R, Fitzmaurice BC, Foglia F, Appleby-Thomas GJ & McMillan PF (2017) Bacterial survival following shock compression in the GigaPascal range, Icarus, 293 (September) 1-7.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R & McMillan PF (2017) On the response of Escherichia coli to high rates of deformation, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140002.
- Foglia F, Hazael R, Simeoni GG, Appavou M-S, Moulin M, Haertlein M, Forsyth VT, Seydel T, Daniel I, Meersman F & McMillan PF (2016) Water dynamics in Shewanella oneidensis at ambient and high pressure using quasi-elastic neutron scattering, Scientific Reports, 6 (1) Article No. 18862.
- Moore M, Hazael R, Jones A, McMillan P, Salzmann C, Alvaro M, Nestola F, Prencipe M & Dobson D (2016) Structural characterization of natural diamond shocked to 60 GPa; implications for Earth and planetary systems, Lithos, 265 (November) 214-221.
- Hazael R, Meersman F, Ono F & McMillan P (2016) Pressure as a limiting factor for life, Life, 6 (3) Article No. 34.
- Belén Jorge Sobrido A & Hazael R (2016) Use of Shewanella oneidensis for energy conversion in microbial fuel cells, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 217 (13) 1431-1438.
- Picard A, Testemale D, Wagenknecht L, Hazael R & Daniel I (2015) Iron reduction by the deep-sea bacterium Shewanella Profunda LT13a under subsurface pressure and temperature conditions, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5 (January) 1-8.
- Makwana N M, Hazael R, McMillan P F & Darr J A (2015) Photocatalytic water disinfection by simple and low-cost monolithic and heterojunction ceramic wafers, Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, 14 (6) 1190-1196.
- Mustey A, Leighs JA, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R, McMillan PF & Hazell PJ (2014) The effect of hydrostatic vs. shock pressure treatment of plant seeds, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (18).
- Hazael R, Foglia F, Kardzhaliyska L, Daniel I, Meersman F & McMillan P (2014) Laboratory investigation of high pressure survival in Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 into the gigapascal pressure range, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5.
- Meersman F, Daniel I, Bartlett D, Winter R, Hazael R & McMillan P (2013) High-pressure biochemistry and biophysics, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 75 (1) 607-648.
- Vanlint D, Mitchell R, Bailey E, Meersman F, McMillan PF, Michiels CW & Aertsen A (2011) Rapid Acquisition of Gigapascal-High-Pressure Resistance by Escherichia coli, mBio, 2 (1).
- Henwood B, Hazael R & Hewins K (2022) Serial number recovery techniques on steel plates; Fry’s reagent and eddy current technology. In: 32nd International Symposium on Ballistics, Reno, Nevada, 9-13 May 2022.
- Roberts L, Critchley R, Salberg D, Bloodworth-Race S & Hazael R (2022) Development of a risk matrix for low-cost engineering solutions: a systematic approach. In: Challenges in risk analysis for science and engineering: development of a common language, IOP Publishing Ltd, p. 11-1-11-20.
- Thawani B, Critchley R & Hazael R (2022) Influence of automation on human factor integration in risk assessment systems. In: Challenges in risk analysis for science and engineering: development of a common language, IOP Publishing Ltd, p. 5-1-5-18.
- Bruton K, Hazael R, Critchley R & Bloodworth-Race S (2022) Lignocellulosic natural fibers in polymer composite materials: benefits, challenges and applications. In: Encyclopedia of Materials: Plastics and Polymers, Elsevier, p. 353-369.