I have an undergraduate MSci in Planetary Sciences (Earth Sciences and Physics) with a PhD in Materials Chemistry.
My research to-date has been investigating the effects of extreme conditions (high pressure and high temperature) on materials such as: armour systems, chemistry synthesis and biological systems. The responses of these materials have been investigated both statically and dynamically using shock physics.
I have also performed experiments at various national and international X-ray and neutron sources investigating these materials.
I currently lecture on the response of materials to impact events such as armour materials for vehicle and body armour to several courses on site. I also have an interest in the response of bio materials to impact events such as: tissue analogues, microbes and organic molecules.
Articles In Journals
- Thawani B, Hazael R & Critchley R (2021) Numerical modelling study of a modified sandbag system for ballistic protection, Journal of Computational Science, 53 (July) Article No. 101403.
- Bloodworth-Race S, Critchley R, Peare A, Hazael R & Temple T (2021) Testing the blast response of foam inserts for helmets, Heliyon, 7 (5) Article No. e06990.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Painter JD, Wood DC & Hazael R (2020) The effects of quasi-one-dimensional shock on Escherichia coli while controlling pressure and temperature, Icarus, Available online 28 November 2020, Article No. 114221.
- Rao P, Painter J, Appleby-Thomas G, Critchley R, Wood D, Roberts & Hazael R (2020) Fragmentation studies by non-explosive cylinder expansion technique, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 146 (December) Article No. 103714.
- Hazael R, Matsuda S, Mori Y, Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas G, Painter JD, Meersman F, Richaud M, Galas S, Saini NL, Ono F & McMillan PF (2019) Pressure tolerance of Artemia cysts compressed in water medium, High Pressure Research, 39 (2) Article No. GHPR 1575378.
- Foglia F, Hazael R, Meersman F, Wilding MC, García Sakai V, Rogers S, Bove LE, Marek Koza M, Moulin M, Haertlein M, Forsyth VT & McMillan PF (2019) In Vivo water dynamics in Shewanella oneidensis bacteria at high pressure, Scientific Reports, 9 Article No. 8716. Dataset/s: 10.5286/ISIS.E.RB1410406, 10.5291/ILL-DATA.8-04-785
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Painter J, Gibson M, Wood DC, Hazael R & Hazell PJ (2018) On differences in the equation-of-state for a selection of seven representative mammalian tissue analogue materials, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 77 (January) 586-593.
- Hazael R, Fitzmaurice BC, Foglia F, Appleby-Thomas GJ & McMillan PF (2017) Bacterial survival following shock compression in the GigaPascal range, Icarus, 293 (September) 1-7.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R & McMillan PF (2017) On the response of Escherichia coli to high rates of deformation, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140002.
- Knapp CE, Dyer C, Chadwick NP, Hazael R & Carmalt CJ (2017) Metal β-diketoiminate precursor use in aerosol assisted chemical vapour deposition of gallium- and aluminium-doped zinc oxide, Polyhedron, 140 35-41.
- Fitzmaurice B., Appleby-Thomas G., Painter J., Ono F., McMillan P., Hazael R. & Meersman F. (2017) Tolerance of Artemia to static and shock pressure loading, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 950 (4).
- Foglia F, Hazael R, Simeoni GG, Appavou M-S, Moulin M, Haertlein M, Forsyth VT, Seydel T, Daniel I, Meersman F & McMillan PF (2016) Water dynamics in Shewanella oneidensis at ambient and high pressure using quasi-elastic neutron scattering, Scientific Reports, 6 (1) Article No. 18862.
- Moore M, Hazael R, Jones A, McMillan P, Salzmann C, Alvaro M, Nestola F, Prencipe M & Dobson D (2016) Structural characterization of natural diamond shocked to 60 GPa; implications for Earth and planetary systems, Lithos, 265 (November) 214-221.
- Hazael R, Meersman F, Ono F & McMillan P (2016) Pressure as a limiting factor for life, Life, 6 (3) Article No. 34.
- Belén Jorge Sobrido A & Hazael R (2016) Use of Shewanella oneidensis for energy conversion in microbial fuel cells, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 217 (13) 1431-1438.
- Picard A, Testemale D, Wagenknecht L, Hazael R & Daniel I (2015) Iron reduction by the deep-sea bacterium Shewanella Profunda LT13a under subsurface pressure and temperature conditions, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5 (January) 1-8.
- Makwana N M, Hazael R, McMillan P F & Darr J A (2015) Photocatalytic water disinfection by simple and low-cost monolithic and heterojunction ceramic wafers, Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, 14 (6) 1190-1196.
- Mustey A, Leighs JA, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R, McMillan PF & Hazell PJ (2014) The effect of hydrostatic vs. shock pressure treatment of plant seeds, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (18).
- Hazael R, Foglia F, Kardzhaliyska L, Daniel I, Meersman F & McMillan P (2014) Laboratory investigation of high pressure survival in Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 into the gigapascal pressure range, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5.
- Meersman F, Daniel I, Bartlett D, Winter R, Hazael R & McMillan P (2013) High-pressure biochemistry and biophysics, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 75 (1) 607-648.
- Vanlint D, Mitchell R, Bailey E, Meersman F, McMillan PF, Michiels CW & Aertsen A (2011) Rapid Acquisition of Gigapascal-High-Pressure Resistance by Escherichia coli, mBio, 2 (1).