Rachael is a Senior Lecturer in Advanced Protective Materials where her research to-date has been investigating the effects of extreme conditions (high pressure and high temperature) on systems such as: armour materials, synthesis and biological organisms. The responses of these materials have been investigated both statically and dynamically using various analytical techniques as well as computational modelling. She is a well published researcher in her field, a member of the WEPL (Weapons, Explosives, Protection and Law) research group within Cranfield Forensics Institute part of Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS). She supervisors several research students and collaborates with several defence partners. She is also the Deputy Academic Lead for the Research Community at CDS. She has also vast experience in running experiments at various national and international laboratories.
I currently lecture on the response of materials to impact events such as armour materials for vehicle and body armour to several courses on site. I also have an interest in the response of bio materials to impact events such as: tissue analogues, microbes and organic molecules.
Articles In Journals
- Critchley R, Hazael R, Bhatti K, Wood D, Peare A, Johnson S & Temple T (2022) Blast mitigation using polymeric 3D printed auxetic lattice structures - a preliminary study, International Journal of Protective Structures, 13 (3) 469-486.
- Read J, Hazael R & Critchley R (2022) Soft tissue simulants for survivability assessment—a sustainability focussed review, Applied Sciences, 12 (10) Article No. 4954.
- Rickman JM, Painter J & Hazael R (2021) A scanning electron microscopy study of projectile entry fractures in cortical bone; genesis and microarchitectural features, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 136 (2) 629-648.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Painter JD, Wood DC & Hazael R (2021) The effects of quasi-one-dimensional shock on Escherichia coli while controlling pressure and temperature, Icarus, 359 (May) Article No. 114221.
- Thawani B, Hazael R & Critchley R (2021) Numerical modelling study of a modified sandbag system for ballistic protection, Journal of Computational Science, 53 (July) Article No. 101403.
- Collet G, Ladyman MK, Hazael R & Temple TJ. (2021) The use of a predictive threat analysis to propose revisions to existing risk assessments for precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of home-made explosives (HME), Heliyon, 7 (12) Article No. e08343.
- Bloodworth-Race S, Critchley R, Peare A, Hazael R & Temple T (2021) Testing the blast response of foam inserts for helmets, Heliyon, 7 (5) Article No. e06990.
- Rao P, Painter J, Appleby-Thomas G, Critchley R, Wood D, Roberts & Hazael R (2020) Fragmentation studies by non-explosive cylinder expansion technique, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 146 (December) Article No. 103714.
- Hazael R, Matsuda S, Mori Y, Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas G, Painter JD, Meersman F, Richaud M, Galas S, Saini NL, Ono F & McMillan PF (2019) Pressure tolerance of Artemia cysts compressed in water medium, High Pressure Research, 39 (2) Article No. GHPR 1575378.
- Foglia F, Hazael R, Meersman F, Wilding MC, García Sakai V, Rogers S, Bove LE, Marek Koza M, Moulin M, Haertlein M, Forsyth VT & McMillan PF (2019) In Vivo water dynamics in Shewanella oneidensis bacteria at high pressure, Scientific Reports, 9 Article No. 8716. Dataset/s: 10.5286/ISIS.E.RB1410406, 10.5291/ILL-DATA.8-04-785
- Knapp CE, Dyer C, Chadwick NP, Hazael R & Carmalt CJ (2018) Metal β-diketoiminate precursor use in aerosol assisted chemical vapour deposition of gallium- and aluminium-doped zinc oxide, Polyhedron, 140 35-41.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Painter J, Gibson M, Wood DC, Hazael R & Hazell PJ (2018) On differences in the equation-of-state for a selection of seven representative mammalian tissue analogue materials, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 77 (January) 586-593.
- Hazael R, Fitzmaurice BC, Foglia F, Appleby-Thomas GJ & McMillan PF (2017) Bacterial survival following shock compression in the GigaPascal range, Icarus, 293 (September) 1-7.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R & McMillan PF (2017) On the response of Escherichia coli to high rates of deformation, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140002.
- Fitzmaurice B., Appleby-Thomas G., Painter J., Ono F., McMillan P., Hazael R. & Meersman F. (2017) Tolerance of Artemia to static and shock pressure loading, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 950 (4).
- Foglia F, Hazael R, Simeoni GG, Appavou M-S, Moulin M, Haertlein M, Forsyth VT, Seydel T, Daniel I, Meersman F & McMillan PF (2016) Water dynamics in Shewanella oneidensis at ambient and high pressure using quasi-elastic neutron scattering, Scientific Reports, 6 (1) Article No. 18862.
- Moore M, Hazael R, Jones A, McMillan P, Salzmann C, Alvaro M, Nestola F, Prencipe M & Dobson D (2016) Structural characterization of natural diamond shocked to 60 GPa; implications for Earth and planetary systems, Lithos, 265 (November) 214-221.
- Hazael R, Meersman F, Ono F & McMillan P (2016) Pressure as a limiting factor for life, Life, 6 (3) Article No. 34.
- Belén Jorge Sobrido A & Hazael R (2016) Use of Shewanella oneidensis for energy conversion in microbial fuel cells, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 217 (13) 1431-1438.
- Picard A, Testemale D, Wagenknecht L, Hazael R & Daniel I (2015) Iron reduction by the deep-sea bacterium Shewanella Profunda LT13a under subsurface pressure and temperature conditions, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5 (January) 1-8.
- Makwana N M, Hazael R, McMillan P F & Darr J A (2015) Photocatalytic water disinfection by simple and low-cost monolithic and heterojunction ceramic wafers, Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, 14 (6) 1190-1196.
- Mustey A, Leighs JA, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R, McMillan PF & Hazell PJ (2014) The effect of hydrostatic vs. shock pressure treatment of plant seeds, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (18).
- Hazael R, Foglia F, Kardzhaliyska L, Daniel I, Meersman F & McMillan P (2014) Laboratory investigation of high pressure survival in Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 into the gigapascal pressure range, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5.
- Meersman F, Daniel I, Bartlett D, Winter R, Hazael R & McMillan P (2013) High-pressure biochemistry and biophysics, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 75 (1) 607-648.
- Vanlint D, Mitchell R, Bailey E, Meersman F, McMillan PF, Michiels CW & Aertsen A (2011) Rapid Acquisition of Gigapascal-High-Pressure Resistance by Escherichia coli, mBio, 2 (1).
- Henwood B, Hazael R & Hewins K (2022) Serial number recovery techniques on steel plates; Fry’s reagent and eddy current technology. In: 32nd International Symposium on Ballistics, Reno, Nevada, 9-13 May 2022.