Contact Dr Muhammad Khan
Areas of expertise
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Upon receiving his Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from NEDUET
Karachi in 2002, he joined Technology Promotion Internationals (Head Quarter:
Maryland USA) for more than 3 years in the capacity of a Research Engineer. In
these years, he was involved in fault diagnosis of defense applications mainly
funded by General Dynamics including US Marines Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV) and Medium
Tactical Vehicle Replacement (MTVR). In 2006, he went to The University of
Manchester for his master's leading to doctoral studies and completed his PhD
in 2008 with more than 12 publications in the area of fatigue of gear
assemblies. Later, he joined University of Hertfordshire as a post-doctoral
research associate in 2009 for two years. Where he worked on a UK MOD project related
to aerospace transmission fatigue diagnosis partnered with the University of
Manchester, University of Warwick and QinetiQ. He briefly taught Mechanical
Engineering at Universiti Teknologi Petronas (Malaysia) as a lecturer in 2011
and the same year he then joined National University of Sciences and Technology
(NUST) Pakistan as an Assistant Professor. At NUST, he established a Root
Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) center and being the Head of Postgraduate
Programme started a new Master’s in the area of Computational Mechanics.
He is involved in the industrial and the academic research for the last 15 years. Current areas of interest are: Fatigue of metallic structures and machine components, Experimental evaluation of damage and prediction of useful life, Non destructive testing methodologies and Tribological phenomenon in mechanical contacts. Dr Khan is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Full member of Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) UK.
1. Development of a novel technique to correlate fatigue of mechanical structure with its modal behavior
A novel technique is under investigation that can analyze the fatigue in mechanical structures at elevated and cyclic temperatures. Material fundamental frequency and its drop are used as the key parameters to predict the remaining useful life of metallic structures. Continuum damage mechanics and probability function are in use to consider the damage tolerances of fatigue cracks.
2. Fatigue crack characterization in thin metal plates
Surface and sub-surface crack characterization in thin metal plates is currently under study. Guided wave ultrasonic testing is the experimental tool to investigate the orientation and the physical dimension of the crack.
3. Airborne noise and surface wear in metal contacts
Wear in mechanical components most often generates noise within sensing and hearing limits. This project focuses to study the relation between different conditions of wear with their possible generated airborne noises. The main objective is to develop an empirical framework which can help to discuss the significance of the mentioned relationship.
4. Damage tolerance in aerospace transmissions
A lot of experimental work has been made in this but with little theoretical support due to complex nature of operational parameters are involved. Applied continuum damage approach can be useful to predict the in-depth of the possible failures. Still a comprehensive damage model is needed.
5. Non destructive Testing for failure analysis
Involving Vibration, Noise and Acoustics, Ultrasonic and Oil debris analysis.
6. Image based material characterization
Determining the mechanical properties of the structures made of the evolving composite materials.
7. Couple Thermo-mechanical Problems in mechanical contacts/structures under dynamic loads
Articles In Journals
- He F & Khan M (2021) Effects of printing parameters on the fatigue behaviour of 3D-printed ABS under dynamic thermo-mechanical loads, Polymers, 13 (14) Article No. 2362.
- Lontin K & Khan M (2021) Interdependence of friction, wear, and noise: a review, Friction, 9 (December) 1319-1345.
- Kamei K, Khan MA & Khan KA (2021) Characterising Modal Behaviour of a Cantilever Beam at Different Heating Rates for Isothermal Conditions, Applied Sciences, 11 (10) Article No. 4375.
- Aldosari SM, Khan MA & Rahatekar S (2021) Manufacturing pitch and polyethylene blends-based fibres as potential carbon fibre precursors, Polymers, 13 (9) Article No. 1445.
- Olisa SC, Khan MA & Starr A (2021) Review of current guided wave ultrasonic testing (GWUT) limitations and future directions, Sensors, 21 (3) Article No. 811.
- Khan KA, Alshaer MH & Khan MA (2021) A novel twofold symmetry architected metamaterials with high compressibility and negative Poisson's ratio, Advanced Engineering Materials, Available online 28 February 2021, (5) Article No. 2001041.
- Rahman A, Khan MA & Mushtaq A (2021) Predictive modeling of surface wear in mechanical contacts under lubricated and non-lubricated conditions, Sensors, 21 (4) Article No. 1160.
- He F, Kumar VK & Khan M (2021) Evolution and new horizons in modelling crack mechanics of 3D printing polymeric structures, Materials Today Chemistry, 20 (June) Article No. 100393.
- Khan KA, Alhajeri F & Khan MA (2021) Micromechanical modeling approach with simplified boundary conditions to compute electromechanical properties of architected piezoelectric composites, Smart Materials and Structures, Available online 14 January 2021 (3).
- Shams H, Basit K, Khan MA, Saleem S & Mansoor A (2021) Realizing surface amphiphobicity using 3D printing techniques: A critical move towards manufacturing low-cost reentrant geometries, Additive Manufacturing, 38 (February) Article No. 101777.
- Aloseel A, H He, Shaw C & Khan MA (2021) Analytical review of cybersecurity for embedded systems, IEEE Access, 9 961-982.
- Al-Shdifat A, Emmanouilidis C, Khan M & Starr AG (2020) Ontology – based context resolution in internet of things enabled diagnostics, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 251-256.
- Fleet T, Kamei K, He F, Khan MA, Khan KA & Starr A (2020) A machine learning approach to model interdependencies between dynamic response and crack propagation, Sensors, 20 (23) Article No. 6847.
- Dukhi Almutairi M, Indrat Aria A, Kumar Thakur V & Khan MA (2020) Self-healing mechanisms for 3D-printed polymeric structures: from lab to reality, Polymers, 12 (7) Article No. 1534.
- Zai BA, Khan MA, Khan SZ, Asif M, Khan KA, Saquib AN, Mansoor A, Shahzad M & and Mujtaba A (2020) Prediction of crack depth and fatigue life of an acrylonitrile butadiene styrene cantilever beam using dynamic response, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 48 (2) 1520-1536.
- Khalid MS, Nisar S, Khan SZ, Khan MA & Troesch AW (2020) Simulation of blended nonlinear hydrodynamics forces using radial basis function in uniform moving frame, Ocean Engineering, 198 (February) Article No. 106994.
- Aldosari SM, Khan M & Rahatekar S (2020) Manufacturing carbon fibres from pitch and polyethylene blend precursors: a review, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9 (4) 7786-7806.
- Al-Shdifat A, Emmanouilidis C, Khan M & Starr AG (2020) Ontology-based context modeling in physical asset integrity management, Frontiers in Computer Science, 2 (October) Article No. 578673.
- Kamei K & Khan MA (2020) Current challenges in modelling vibrational fatigue and fracture of structures: a review, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 43, (2) Article No. 77.
- Baqasah H, He F, Zai BA, Asif M, Khan KA, Thakur VK & Khan MA (2019) In-situ dynamic response measurement for damage quantification of 3D printed ABS cantilever beam under thermomechanical load, Polymers, 11 (12) Article No. 2079.
- Behzad AZ, Muhammad AK, Kamran AK & Asif M (2019) A novel approach for damage quantification using the dynamic response of a metallic beam under thermo-mechanical loads, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 469 (March) Article No. 115134.
- Khan K & Khan M (2019) 3-3 piezoelectric metamaterial with negative and zero Poisson's ratio for hydrophones applications, Materials Research Bulletin, 112 (April) 194-204.
- Asif M, Ramezani M, Khan KA, Khan MA & Aw KC (2019) Investigation of the strain-rate-dependent mechanical behavior of a photopolymer matrix composite with fumed nano-silica filler, Polymer Engineering and Science, 59 (8) 1695-1700.
- Khan M, Shahid M, Ahmed S, Khan S, Khan K, Ali S & Tariq M (2019) Gear misalignment diagnosis using statistical features of vibration and airborne sound spectrums, Measurement, 145 (October) 419-435.
- Khan KA, Al Mansoor S, Khan SZ & Khan AK (2019) Piezoelectric metamaterial with negative and zero Poisson's ratios, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 145 (12).
- Zai B, Khan MA, Khan KA, Mansoor A, Shah A & Shahzad M (2019) The role of dynamic response parameters in damage prediction, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 233 (13) 4620-4636.
- Zai B, Khan M, Mansoor A, Khan S & Khan K (2019) Instant dynamic response measurements for crack monitoring in metallic beams, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 61 (4) 222-229.
- Asif M, Ramezani M, Khan AK, Muhammad AK & Aw KC (2019) Experimental and numerical study of the effect of silica filler on the tensile strength of a 3D-printed particulate nanocomposite, Comptes Rendus Mécanique, 347 (9) 615-625.
- Khan S, Nisar S, Shah A, Khan K, Zai B, Khan M, Park M, Shahzad M & Shahzad M (2019) Low-velocity impact characterization of fiber-reinforced composites with hygrothermal effect, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 47 (1) 350-360.
- Khan K, Hajeri F & Khan M (2019) Analytical and numerical assessment of the effect of highly conductive inclusions distribution on the thermal conductivity of particulate composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 53 (25) 3499-3514.
- Zahid U, Khan SZ, Khan MA, Bukhari HJ, Nisar S & Khan KA (2019) A methodology for flexibility analysis of pipeline systems, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 233 (4) 893-907.
- Tariq M, Nisar S, Shah A, Akbar S, Khan MA & Khan SZ (2018) Effect of hybrid reinforcement on the performance of filament wound hollow shaft, Composite Structures, 184 (January) 378-387. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.09.
- Muhammad A, Khan MA, Khan SZ, Choudhry RS & Khan KA (2018) Identification of an effective nondestructive technique for bond defect determination in laminate composites - a technical review, Journal of Composite Materials, 52 (26) 3589-3599.
- Choudhry RS, Sharif T, Khan KA, Khan SZ, Hassan A & Khan MA (2018) Predicting the effect of voids on mechanical properties of woven composites, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 406 Article No. 012007.
- Saeed MU, Qureshi SR, Hashmi KJ, Khan MA & Danish SN (2018) Performance assessment of alternate refrigerants for retrofitting R22 based air conditioning system, Thermal Science, 22 (2) 931-941.
- Siddiqui MZ, Khan SZ, Khan MA, Shahzad M, Khan KA & Nisar S (2018) A novel test configuration design method for inverse identification of in-plane moduli of a composite plate under the PFEUM framework, Strain, 54 (5) Article No. e12280.
- Khan M, Khan K, Khan S, Nisar S & Starr A (2018) Fracture life estimation of Al-1050 thin beams using empirical data and a numerical approach, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 60 (7) 363-368.
- Tariq M, Nisar S, Shah A, Mairaj T, Akbar S, Khan M & Khan S (2018) Effect of carbon fiber winding layer on torsional characteristics of filament wound composite shafts, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 40 (4) Article No. 198.
- Zahid U, Khan SZ, Khan MA, Bukhari HJ, Ahmed I & Khan KA (2018) A methodology for flexibility analysis of process piping, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 232 (6) 751-761.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Khan S, Eiroa AL, Butler N, Rushton K & Brocklebank S (2017) Perspectives on trading cost and availability for corrective maintenance at the equipment type level, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 168 (December) 53-69.
- Saleem F, Nisar S, Khan MA, Zia Khan S & Sheikh MA (2017) Overall equipment effectiveness of tyre curing press: a case study, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 23 (1) 39-55.
- Khan MA, Basit K, Khan SZ, Khan KA & Starr AG (2017) Experimental assessment of multiple contact wear using airborne noise under dry and lubricated conditions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 231 (12) 1503-1516.
- Siddiqui MZ, Khan SZ, Khan MA, Shahzad M, Khan KA, Nisar S & Noman D (2017) A projected finite element update method for inverse identification of material constitutive parameters in transversely isotropic laminates, Experimental Mechanics, 57 (5) 755-772.
- Khan SZ, Khan MA, Tariq M, Khan KA, Khan TM & Ali T (2017) Response of Gaussian-modulated guided wave in aluminum: an analytical, numerical, and experimental study, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 231 (16) 3057-3065.
- Choudhry RS, Khan KA, Khan SZ, Khan MA & Hassan A (2017) Micromechanical modeling of 8-harness satin weave glass fiber-reinforced composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 51 (5) 705-720.
- Saqib W, Sherazi HI, Khan MA, Khan SZ & Khan KA (2016) An intelligent system for machinery wear debris analysis using evolutionary algorithms, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 58 (12) 656-662.
- Khan KA, Khan SZ & Khan MA (2016) Effective thermal conductivity of two-phase composites containing highly conductive inclusions, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 35 (21) 1586-1599.
- Rafey Khan A, Nisar S, Shah A, Khan MA, Khan SZ & Sheikh MA (2016) Reducing machining distortion in AA 6061 alloy through re-heating technique, Materials Science and Technology, 33 (6) 731-737.
- Khan SZ, Khan TM, Joya YF, Khan MA, Ahmed S & Shah A (2016) Assessment of material properties of AISI 316L stainless steel using non-destructive testing, Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, 31 (4) 360-370.
- Khan MA, Khan SZ, Sohail W, Khan H, Sohaib M & Nisar S (2015) Mechanical fatigue in aluminum at elevated temperature and remaining life prediction based on natural frequency evolution, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 38 (8) 897-903.
- Khan MA, Cheema AF, Khan SZ & Qureshi S (2015) Image based portable wear debris analysis tool, Industrial Lubrication and Tribology, 67 (4) 389-398.
- Nisar S, Khan SZ, Khan MA, Li L & Sheikh MA (2014) Comparison of cut path deviation between CO2 and diode lasers in float-glass cutting, Journal of Russian Laser Research, 35 (2) 182-192.
- Khan MA, Hussnain RB, Basit K, Safdar M & Raza M (2013) Effect of lubricant on wear debris color diagnosis, Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, 5 (2) 89-99.
- Lias MR, Rao TVVLN, Awang M & Khan MA (2012) The stress distribution of gear tooth due to axial misalignment condition, Journal of Applied Sciences, 12 (23) 2404-2410.
- Khan SZ, Ahmed U, Qazi S, Nisar S, Khan MA, Khan KA, Rasheed F & Farhan M (2019) Frequency and amplitude measurement of a cantilever beam using image processing: with a feedback system. In: IBCAST - International Bhurban Conference on Applied Science and Technology, 2019, Islamabad, 8-12 January 2019.
- Badi N, Phang A, Edwards R, Chen Y, Rzeszucinski P, Sinha J, Mao K, Jones R, Curran A, Shepherd D, Starr A, Khan M, Allen B & Marshall M (2011) The EUCAMS gear partnership - a model of industry/academic collaboration. In: 8th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies Conference, 2011, Cardiff, 20-22 June 2011.