Contact Dr Mark Pawlett
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2702
- Email: email@example.com
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=104592472&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
Areas of expertise
- PhD 2002. University of East London. Soil Ecology
- MSc 1995. University of East London. Environmental Sciences
- BSc (Hons) 1992. Nottingham Trent University. Applied Biology
ANALYTICAL CHEMIST: Technichem Laboratories Ltd: 1997 to 1999 UKAS accredited. Analytical duties: Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP), Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (AES), Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS) with graphite furnace, hydride generation and cold vapor systems, Florescence Spectroscopy.
ANALYTICAL CHEMIST: London Analytical Ltd: 1995 to 1997: Analysis of environmental samples for: metals, phenol, cyanide, sulphate, sulphide, bomb calorimetry, nutrients as well as sample preparation, training and supervision of junior staff.
CONSERVATION MANAGEMENT: Nottingham Wildlife Trust: 1993 Habitat management
RESEARCH SCIENTIST: University of East London: 1991. Industrial placement research project for BSC (Hons) Applied Biology. A study of peat alternatives using soil microbial techniques.
During eleven years at Cranfield University he has been involved in soil research from the nano (zero-valent iron: Pawlett et al 2012) to landscape (Corstanje et al 2008) scale. His research interests include: sustainable management of soil biological systems (farms, horticultural, grass-turfs), environmental impact of nanoparticles, and effects of using organic fertilisers (such as biosolids, organo-mineral fertilisers, and anaerobic digestates) on soil functioning in terms of nutrient cycling, soil health, crop production and turf-grass health. He has gained experimental research in the laboratory, greenhouse and field-scales and is currently supervising two full-time PhD students and one part-time MSc by research.
Current research projects:
- Anaerobic Digestate Application onto Sport Turfs (WRAP)-Co-investigator with a focus on delivering the field-trial component
- Wastes and Organic Matter improve Soil Structure (HGCA)-Co-investigator
- Noordenveld Heathland Restoration, University of Groningen, Netherlands. Co-investigator
- Soil Resilience (BBSRC)-Co-investigator
- Marketable Sludge Derivatives from Sustainable Processing of Wastewater in a Highly Integrated Treatment Plant (EU) Project Management and Research of nutrient cycling which includes Project Management activities
- Biodiversity & Ecosystem Service Sustainability (BESS, NERC)
- Transatlantic Initiative for Nanotechnology and the Environment (NERC)-PLFA analysis and data interpretation
Current student research projects:
- Drain flow on golf-courses-Primary supervisor -part-time MSc by research
- The Influence of Urea on Phosphorus Dynamics in Soils Amended with Organomineral fertilizer. PhD
- An instrumental system for measuring multiple gas emissions from soils and their isotope signatures. PhD
Articles In Journals
- Pawlett M, Owen A & Tibbett M (2018) Amenity grassland quality following anaerobic digestate application, Grassland Science, 64 (3) 185-189.
- van der Bij AU, Weijters MJ, Bobbink R, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K, Benetková P, Moradi J, Frouz J & van Diggelen R (2018) Facilitating ecosystem assembly: Plant-soil interactions as a restoration tool, Biological Conservation, 220 272-279.
- Todman LC, Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Whitmore AP (2018) Evidence for functional state transitions in intensively-managed soil ecosystems, Scientific Reports, 8 (1) Article No. 11522. Dataset/s: 10.6084/m9.figshare.5982337
- van der Bij AU, Pawlett M, Harris JA, Ritz K & van Diggelen R (2017) Soil microbial community assembly precedes vegetation development after drastic techniques to mitigate effects of nitrogen deposition, Biological Conservation, 212 (Part B) 476-483.
- Durenkamp M, Pawlett M, Ritz K, Harris JA, Neal AL & McGrath SP (2016) Nanoparticles within WWTP sludges have minimal impact on leachate quality and soil microbial community structure and function, Environmental Pollution, 211 (April) 339-405.
- Barnett MJ, Pawlett M, Wadham JL, Jackson M & Cullen DC (2016) Demonstration of a multi-technique approach to assess glacial microbial populations in the field, Journal of Glaciology, 62 (232) 348-358.
- Todman LC, Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Whitmore AP (2016) Defining and quantifying the resilience of responses to disturbance: a conceptual and modelling approach from soil science, Scientific Reports, 6 Article No. 28426.
- Fraser FC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Todman LC, Whitmore AP & Ritz K (2016) On the origin of carbon dioxide released from rewetted soils, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 101 (October) 1-5.
- Higgins D, Curtin T, Pawlett M & Courtney R (2016) The potential for constructed wetlands to treat alkaline bauxite-residue leachate: Phragmites australis growth, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23 (23) 24305-24315.
- Fraser FC, Todman LC, Corstanje R, Deeks LK, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Whitmore AP & Ritz K (2016) Distinct respiratory responses of soils to complex organic substrate are governed predominantly by soil architecture and its microbial community, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 103 (December) 493-501.
- Bartuska M, Pawlett M & Frouz J (2015) Particulate organic carbon at reclaimed and unreclaimed post-mining soils and its microbial community composition, CATENA, 131 92-98.
- Plaza C, Pawlett M, Fernández JM, Méndez A, Gascó G & Ritz K (2015) Does biochar interfere with standard methods for determining soil microbial biomass and phenotypic community structure?, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 81 143-146.
- Pawlett M, Deeks LK & Sakrabani R (2015) Nutrient potential of biosolids and urea derived organo-mineral fertilisers in a field scale experiment using ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.), Field Crops Research, 175 56-63.
- Courtney R, Harris JA & Pawlett M (2014) Microbial community composition in a rehabilitated bauxite residue disposal area: a case study for improving microbial community composition, Restoration Ecology, 22 (6) 798-805.
- Deeks LK, Chaney K, Murray C, Sakrabani R, Gedara S, Le MS, Tyrrel S, Pawlett M, Read R & Smith G (2013) A new sludge-derived organo-mineral fertilizer gives similar crop yields as conventional fertilisers, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 33 (3) 539-549.
- Deeks LK, Chaney K, Murray C, Sakrabani R, Gedara S, Le MS, Tyrrel S, Pawlett M, Read R & Smith GH (2013) Field evaluation of a sewage sludge derived novel organo-mineral fertilizer on combinable crops, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 33 (3) 539-549.
- Pawlett M, Ritz K, Dorey RA, Rocks S, Ramsden J & Harris JA (2013) The impact of Zero-valent Iron Nanoparticles upon Soil Microbial Communities is Context Dependent, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 20 (2) 1041-1049.
- Pankhurst LJ, Whitby C, Pawlett M, Larcombe LD, McKew B, Deacon LJ, Morgan SL, Villa R, Drew GH, Tyrrel S, Pollard SJ & Coulon F (2012) Temporal and spatial changes in the microbial bioaerosol communities in green-waste composting., FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 79 (1) 229-239.
- Harris JA, Baptista JDC, Curtis TP, Nelson AK, Pawlett M, Ritz K & Tyrrel SF. (2012) Engineering difference: Matrix design determines community composition in wastewater treatment systems, Ecological Engineering, 40 183-188.
- Harris JA, Ritz K, Coucheney E, Grice SM, Lerch TZ, Pawlett M & Herrmann A. (2012) The thermodynamic efficiency of soil microbial communities subject to long-term stress is lower than those under conventional input regimes, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 47 149-157.
- Harris JA, Tyrrel SF, Ritz K, Lanigan GJ, Griffiths BS, Brennan FP, Bourdin F, Massey PA, Moynihan EL, Rogers NE, Kibblewhite MG, Pawlett M, Sakrabani R, Hoekstra NJ, Creamer RE, Schulte RPO & Richards KG (2011) Does soil biology hold the key to optimized slurry management? A manifesto for research, Soil Use and Management, 27 (4) 464-469.
- McAdam EJ, Pawlett M & Judd SJ (2010) Fate and impact of organics in an immersed membrane bioreactor applied to brine denitrification and ion exchange regeneration, Water Research, 44 (1) 69-76.
- Creamer RE, Bellamy P, Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Chamberlain P, Harris J, Parekh N, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Stone D & Ritz K (2009) An inter-laboratory comparison of multi-enzyme and multiple substrate-induced respiration assays to assess method consistency in soil monitoring, Biology and Fertility of Soils, 45 (6) 623-633.
- Pawlett M, Hopkins DW, Moffett BF & Harris JA (2009) The effect of earthworms and liming on soil microbial communities, Biology and Fertility of Soils, 45 (4) 361-369.
- Corstanje R, Kirk GJD, Pawlett M, Read R & Lark RM (2008) Spatial variation of ammonia volatilization from soil and its scale dependent correlation with soil properties, European Journal of Soil Science, 59 (6) 1260-1270.
- Pawlett M & Tibbett M Is sodium in anaerobically digested food waste a potential risk to soils?, Journal of Environmental Engineering and Management, 25 (4) 235-239.
- Chamberlain PC, Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Creamer RE, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Singh B, Ritz K & Wood C (2007) Can consistent temporal changes be detected in the diversity of soil invertebrates under different environmental pressures. In: Soils - fit for purpose ? : BSSS Annual Meeting 2007, 1 September 2007.
- Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Chamberlain PM, Creamer RE, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Singh B, Ritz K & Wood C (2007) An ecosystem services approach to the selection of biological indicators of soil quality for national-scale soil monitoring. In: Soil Ecology - British Ecological Society Annual Meeting 2007, Glasgow, UK, 1 September 2007.
- Creamer RE, Chamberlain PM, Black HIJ, Cameron CM, Campbell CD, Harris JA, Pawlett M, Poskitt J, Singh B, Ritz K & Wood C (2007) How does temporal variability influence the reliability of multiple substrate induced respiration as an indicator of soil quality?. In: Soils - fit for purpose ? - BSSS Annual Meeting 2007, 1 September 2007.
- Sakrabani R, Pawlett M, Read R & Deeks LK Optimising phosphorus supply from nutrient enriched sludge granules using diffusive gradient in thin films (DGT). In: 16th European Biosolids and Organic Resources Conference, Leeds, 14 November 2011.