Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Marc Pidou obtained his first degree in Applied Sciences from the University of Blois (France) followed by a Masters in Chemical Engineering from the University of Nantes (France). He joined Cranfield University in 2003 to study for a PhD in the application of hybrid membrane processes for greywater recycling. After graduating, he was then appointed Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Membrane Processes in 2007. His research focused on the application of hybrid membrane systems for domestic and industrial wastewater treatment. He moved on to a Research Fellow position in the Advanced Water Management Centre at the University of Queensland (Australia) in 2010, where he contributed to projects studying membrane technologies for water recycling. Dr Pidou then returned to Cranfield Water Science Institute in July 2013 and was promoted to Lecturer in Resource Recovery in 2015.
Dr Pidou's research vision is to scientifically underpin the innovation and development of technologies to deliver a step change in the efficacy of wastewater treatment and resource recovery. Ultimately the aim is to deliver a paradigm shift in how wastewater is viewed and processed in order to support the development of a more sustainable water sector integrated into a circular economy model.
Dr Marc Pidou’s research interests are in:
- Filtration technologies
- Industrial wastewater treatment
- Phosphorus removal
- Resource recovery
- Tertiary solids removal
- Water recycling
His current research activities are focused on the development and optimisation of technologies for phosphorus removal and recovery from wastewater effluents (reactive media, algae, hybrid ion exchange, coagulation), for tertiary solids removal (cloth media filter, sand filter, membranes), for treatment and resource recovery from trade wastes (membranes, anaerobic systems) and for water recycling (reverse osmosis membranes).
- Alfa Laval
- Anglian Water
- EC H2020
- Severn Trent Water
- Scottish Water
Articles In Journals
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2018) Consequences of pH change on wastewater depth filtration using a multimedia filter, Water Research, 128 (January) 111-119.
- Besançon A, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Jefferson B & Le Corre K S (2017) Impact of pre-treatment technologies on soil aquifer treatment, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 7 (1) 1-10.
- Mercer E, Cruddas P, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science. Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) The effect of high hydraulic loading rate on the removal efficiency of a quadruple media filter for tertiary wastewater treatment, Water Research, 107 (December) 102-112.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Pidou M, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2015) Microalgae for municipal wastewater nutrient remediation: mechanisms, reactors and outlook for tertiary treatment, Environmental Technology Reviews, 4 (1) 133-148.