Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Pidou obtained his first degree in Applied Sciences from the University of Blois (France) followed by a Masters in Chemical Engineering from the University of Nantes (France). He joined Cranfield University in 2003 to study for a PhD in the application of hybrid membrane processes for greywater recycling. After graduating, he was then appointed Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Membrane Processes in 2007. His research focused on the application of hybrid membrane systems for domestic and industrial wastewater treatment. He moved on to a Research Fellow position in the Advanced Water Management Centre at the University of Queensland (Australia) in 2010, where he contributed to projects studying membrane technologies for water recycling. Dr Pidou then returned to Cranfield Water Science Institute in July 2013 and was promoted to Lecturer in Resource Recovery in 2015.
Dr Pidou's research vision is to scientifically underpin the innovation and development of technologies to deliver a step change in the efficacy of wastewater treatment and resource recovery. Ultimately the aim is to deliver a paradigm shift in how wastewater is viewed and processed in order to support the development of a more sustainable water sector integrated into a circular economy model.
PhD position offering an exciting opportunity to advance the development of a novel pile cloth media filter for solids removal from wastewater. https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/research/phd/cloth-filtration-for-solids-removal-from-wastewater-phd
Dr Marc Pidou’s research interests are in:
- Filtration technologies
- Industrial wastewater treatment
- Phosphorus removal
- Resource recovery
- Tertiary solids removal
- Water recycling
- Alfa Laval
- Anglian Water
- EC H2020
- Garrandale Rail
- Severn Trent Water
- Scottish Water
Articles In Journals
- Murujew O, Geoffroy J, Fournie E, Gioacchini ES, Wilson A, Vale P, Jefferson B & Pidou M (2020) The impact of polymer selection and dose on the incorporation of ballasting agents onto wastewater aggregates, Water Research, 170 (March) Article No. 115346.
- Bavarella S, Hermassi M, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Di Profio G, Curcio E, Hart P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Is chemically reactive membrane crystallisation faciliated by heterogeneous primary nucleation? Comparison with conventional gas-liquid crystallisation for ammonium bicarbonate precipitation in a CO2-NH3-H2O system, Crystal Growth and Design, 20 (3) 1552-1564.
- Bavarella S, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Di Profio G, Curcio E, Hart P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Chemically reactive membrane crystallisation reactor for CO2–NH3 absorption and ammonium bicarbonate crystallisation: Kinetics of heterogeneous crystal growth, Journal of Membrane Science, 599 (April) Article No. 117682.
- Bavarella S, Hermassi M, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Moon IS, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Recovery and concentration of ammonia from return liquor to promote enhanced CO2 absorption and simultaneous ammonium bicarbonate crystallisation during biogas upgrading in a hollow fibre membrane contactor, Separation and Purification Technology, Available online 27 January 2020, Article No. 116631.
- Bianchi L, Kirwan K, Alibardi L, Pidou M & Coles SR (2020) Recovery of ammonia from wastewater through chemical precipitation: Investigating the kinetic mechanism and reactions pathway of struvite decomposition, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Available online 11 December 2019.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 5 (1) 161-171.
- Houlker S, Davey CJ, Allemand A, Brookes A, Moore A, Vale P, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Reconciliation of gas to liquid mass transfer in parallel and transverse flow (cross-flow) hollow fiber membrane contactors (HFMC) for CO2 absorption, Separation Science and Technology, Available online 08 January 2020.
- Murujew O, Whitton R, Kube M, Fan L, Roddick F, Jefferson B & Pidou M (2019) Recovery and reuse of alginate in an immobilised algae reactor, Environmental Technology, Available online 9 October 2019.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Villa R, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2019) Influence of light regime on the performance of an immobilised microalgae reactor for wastewater nutrient removal, Algal Research-Biomass Biofuels and Bioproducts, 44 (December) Article No. 101648. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9892169
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Azzini D, Eusebi AL, Tierney R, Williams L, Jiang Y, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Hybrid membrane distillation reverse electrodialysis configuration for water and energy recovery from human urine: an opportunity for off-grid decentralised sanitation, Journal of Membrane Science, 584 (August) 343-352. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8131562.v1
- Whitton R, Santinelli M, Pidou M, Ometto F, Henderson R, Roddick F, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2018) Tertiary nutrient removal from wastewater by immobilised microalgae: impact of wastewater nutrient characteristics and hydraulic retention time (HRT), H2Open Journal, 1 (1) 12-25.
- Ncube P, Pidou M & Jarvis P (2018) The impact of filter bed depth and solids loading using a multimedia filter, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (14) 2249-2258.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2018) Consequences of pH change on wastewater depth filtration using a multimedia filter, Water Research, 128 (January) 111-119.
- Besançon A, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Jefferson B & Le Corre K S (2017) Impact of pre-treatment technologies on soil aquifer treatment, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 7 (1) 1-10.
- Mercer E, Parker A, Cartmell E, McAdam E, Tyrrel S, Pidou M, Kolios A, Williams L & Cruddas P (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Ncube P, Pidou M, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2016) The effect of high hydraulic loading rate on the removal efficiency of a quadruple media filter for tertiary wastewater treatment, Water Research, 107 (December) 102-112.
- Whitton R, Le Mével A, Pidou M, Ometto F, Villa R & Jefferson B. (2016) Influence of microalgal N and P composition on wastewater nutrient remediation, Water Research, 91 371-378.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Pidou M, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2015) Microalgae for municipal wastewater nutrient remediation: mechanisms, reactors and outlook for tertiary treatment, Environmental Technology Reviews, 4 (1) 133-148.
- Jensen PD, Yap SD, Boyle-Gotla A, Janoschka J, Carney C, Pidou M & Batstone DJ (2015) Anaerobic membrane bioreactors enable high rate treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 97 132-141.
- Filloux E, Wang J, Pidou M, Gernjak W & Yuan Z (2015) Biofouling and scaling control of reverse osmosis membrane using one-step cleaning - potential of acidified nitrite solution as an agent, Journal of Membrane Science, 495 (December) 276-283.
- Boyle-Gotla A, Jensen PD, Yap SD, Pidou M, Wang Y & Batstone DJ (2014) Dynamic multidimensional modelling of submerged membrane bioreactor fouling, Journal of Membrane Science, 467 153-161.
- Doederer K, Farré MJ, Pidou M, Weinberg HS & Gernjak W (2014) Rejection of disinfection by-products by RO and NF membranes: Influence of solute properties and operational parameters, Journal of Membrane Science, 467 195-205.
- Ayache C, Pidou M, Croue JP, Labanowski J, Poussade Y, Tazi-Pain A, Keller J & Gernjak W (2013) Impact of effluent organic matter on low-pressure membrane fouling in tertiary treatment, Water Research, 47 (8) 2633-2642.
- Martin Garcia I, Mokosch M, Soares A, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2013) Impact on reactor configuration on the performance of anaerobic MBRs: Treatment of settled sewage in temperate climates, Water Research, 47 (14) 4853-4860.
- Ayache C, Manes C, Pidou M, Croue JP & Gernjak W (2013) Microbial community analysis of fouled reverse osmosis membranes used in water recycling, Water Research, 47 (10) 3291-3299.
- Donose BC, Sukumar S, Pidou M, Poussade Y, Keller J & Gernjak W (2013) Effect of pH on the ageing of reverse osmosis membranes upon exposure to hypochlorite, Desalination, 309 97-105.
- MacAdam J, Ozgencil H, Autin O, Pidou M, Temple C, Parsons S & Jefferson B (2012) Incorporating biodegradation and advanced oxidation processes in the treatment of spent metalworking fluids, Environmental Technology, 33 (24) 2741-2750.
- Jarvis P, Sharp E, Pidou M, Molinder R, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2012) Comparison of coagulation performance and floc properties using a novel zirconium coagulant against traditional ferric and alum coagulants, Water Research, 46 (13) 4179-4187.
- Martin I, Pidou M, Soares A, Judd S & Jefferson B (2011) Modelling the energy demands of aerobic and anaerobic membrane bioreactors for wastewater treatment, Environmental Technology, 32 (9) 921-932.
- Martin-Garcia I, Monsalvo V, Pidou M, Le-Clech P, Judd SJ, McAdam EJ & Jefferson B (2011) Impact of membrane configuration on fouling in anaerobic membrane bioreactors, Journal of Membrane Science, 382 (1-2) 41-49.
- Monclus H, Zacharias S, Santos A, Pidou M & Judd S (2010) Criticality of flux and aeration for a hollow fiber membrane bioreactor, Separation Science and Technology, 45 (7) 956-961.
- Kadewa WW, Le Corre K, Pidou M, Jeffrey PJ & Jefferson B (2010) Comparison of grey water treatment performance by a cascading sand filter and a constructed wetland, Water Science and Technology, 62 (7) 1471-1478.
- Pidou M, Parsons SA, Raymond G, Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2009) Fouling control of a membrane coupled photocatalytic process treating greywater, Water Research, 43 (16) 3932-3939.
- Alvarez-Vazquez H, Pidou M, Holdner J & Judd SJ (2008) Character of extracellular polymeric substances and soluble microbial products and their effect on membrane hydraulics during airlift membrane bioreactor applications, Water Environment Research, 80 (12) 2193-2201.
- Pidou M, Avery L, Stephenson T, Jeffrey P, Parsons SA, Liu S, Memon FA & Jefferson B (2008) Chemical solutions for greywater recycling, Chemosphere, 71 (1) 147-155.
- Winward GP, Avery LM, Frazer-Williams R, Pidou M, Jeffrey P, Stephenson T & Jefferson B (2008) A study of the microbial quality of grey water and an evaluation of treatment technologies for reuse, Ecological Engineering, 32 (2) 187-197.
- Pidou M, Memon FA, Stephenson T, Jefferson B & Jeffrey P (2007) Greywater recycling: Treatment options and applications, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 160 (3) 119-131.
- Rivero MJ, Parsons SA, Jeffrey P, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2006) Membrane chemical reactor (MCR) combining photocatalysis and microfiltration for grey water treatment, Water Science and Technology, 53 (3) 173-180.
- Memon FA, Butler D, Han W, Liu S, Makropoulos C, Avery LM & Pidou M (2005) Economic assessment tool for greywater recycling systems, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 158 (3) 155-161.
- San Juan MG, Ometto F, Whitton R, Pidou M, Jefferson B & Villa R (2017) Energy recovery from immobilised cells of Scenedesmus obliquus after wastewater treatment. In: Frontiers in Wastewater Treatment and Modelling, Springer, p. 266-271.
- Knops G, Pidou M, Kadewa W, Soares A, Jeffrey P & Jefferson B (2008) Reuse of urban water: Impact of product choice. In: Dangerous Pollutants (Xenobiotics) in Urban Water Cycle, Netherlands: Springer, p. 13-22.