Areas of expertise
- Surface Engineering
Dr Luis Isern Arrom is a Research Fellow in High Temperature Surface Engineering at SEPi currently working on coatings for extreme environments.
Luis graduated from Industrial Engineering and Materials Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Catalunya (UPC) in Barcelona, Spain. His degree in Industrial Engineering covered a wide range of engineering disciplines, from fluid dynamics, transportation and project management, to mechanics, electronics, and materials. His further degree in Materials Engineering gave him a broad understanding of polymers, metals and ceramics. In his degree thesis, Luis worked in the tomographic reconstruction of corrosion attack on Co/WC cemented carbides.
After a brief stay in the automotive industry as analyst of the Metallic Materials Laboratory of SEAT, he started his doctoral studies at Cranfield University in 2014. During his PhD, sponsored by SIFCO ASC, Luis developed metal matrix composite coatings deposited by brush electroplating (selective plating) such as Ni/WC, Ni/PTFE and Ni/Cr3C2. After graduation in 2018, he joined SEPi on his current position.
Dr Luis Isern Arrom is a materials scientist with experience in ceramic, metallic and composite coatings, as well as in cemented carbides and diverse metal alloys. His main interests are the design, development, deposition/manufacturing, characterisation and performance testing of coatings and materials for extreme environments. In particular:
For coating deposition and material manufacturing, his main focus is:
- Electron-Beam Physical Vapour Deposition (EB-PVD).
- Electroplating (including brush plating / selective plating).
- Erosion testing
- Wear testing.
- Thermal cycling.Tomography.
Luis is a materials scientist with experience and interest in:
- Ceramic coatings.
- Metallic coatings.
- Composite coatings.
- Cemented carbides.
- Metal alloys.
His main activities cover the design, development, deposition, characterisation and performance testing of coatings for extreme environments. In particular, his main focus has been on Thermal Barrier Coatings for gas turbine engines produced by EB-PVD.
He actively works with diverse coating deposition techniques such as:
- Electron-Beam Physical Vapour Deposition (EB-PVD).
- Electroplating (including brush plating).
- Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD).
Materials characterisation covers also a big part of his workload. Apart from more traditional techniques (microscopy, spectrometry, hardness testing …), his expertise includes:
- Erosion testing.
- Thermal cycling.
- Abrasion testing.
- SIFCO ASC.
- Rolls-Royce plc.
- Welding Alloys Group.
- Archer Technicoat Ltd (ATL).
- Innovate UK and EPSRC.
- Micro Materials Ltd.
- Thin Metal Films (TMF).
Articles In Journals
- Chevallier J, Isern L, Almandoz Forcen K, Chalk C & Nicholls JR (2021) Modelling evaporation in electron‑beam physical vapour deposition of thermal barrier coatings, Emergent Materials, Available online 18 August 2021. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.14519943
- Isern L, Waddie AJ, Chalk C, Moore AJ & Nicholls JR (2021) Non-destructive thickness measurement of thermal barrier coatings using terahertz radiation, Emergent Materials, Available online 06 August 2021.
- Beake BD, Bergdoll L, Isern L, Endrino JL, Fox-Rabinovich GS & Veldhuis SC (2021) Influence of probe geometry in micro-scale impact testing of nano-multilayered TiAlCrN/NbN coatings deposited on WC-Co, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 95 (February) Article No. 105441.
- Beake BD, Isern L, Endrino JL, Liskiewicz TW & Shi X (2021) Micro-scale impact resistance of coatings on hardened tool steel and cemented carbide, Materials Letters, 284 (1) Article No. 129009.
- Beake BD, Isern L, Harris AJ & Endrino JL (2020) Probe geometry and surface roughness effects in microscale impact testing of WC-Co, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 35 (7) 836-844.
- Beake BD, Isern L, Bhattacharyya D, Endrino JL, Lawson K & Walker T (2020) Nano- and micro-scale impact testing of zirconia, alumina and zirconia-alumina duplex optical coatings on glass, Wear, 462-463 (December) Article No. 203499.
- Chalk C, Isern Arrom L & Nicholls J (2020) Terahertz optical thickness and birefringence measurement for thermal barrier coating defect location, Optics Express, 28 (21) 31535-31552.
- Beake BD, Bird A, Isern L, Endrino JL & Jiang F (2019) Elevated temperature micro-impact testing of TiAlSiN coatings produced by physical vapour deposition, Thin Solid Films, 688 (October) Article No. 137358.
- Beake B, Isern L, Endrino J & Fox-Rabinovich G (2019) Micro-impact testing of AlTiN and TiAlCrN coatings, Wear, 418-419 (January) 102-110.
- Isern L, Impey S, Clouser SJ, Milosevic D & Endrino JL (2018) Particle distribution, film formation and wear performance of brush plated Ni/WC, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165 (9) D402-D410.
- Isern L, Impey S, Almond H, Clouser SJ & Endrino JL (2017) Structure zone diagram and particle incorporation of nickel brush plated composite coatings, Scientific Reports, 7 Article No. 44561.
- Tarrago JM, Fargas G, Isern L, Dorvlo S, Tarres E, Muller CM, Jimenez-Pique E & Llanes L (2016) Microstructural influence on tolerance to corrosion-induced damage in hardmetals, Materials and Design, 111 (December) 36-43.
- Tarrago JM, Fargas G, Jiminez-Pique E, Felip A, Isern L, Coureaux D, Roa JJ, Al-Dawery I, Fair J & Llanes L (2014) Corrosion damage in WC–Co cemented carbides: residual strength assessment and 3D FIB-FESEM tomography characterisation, Powder Metallurgy, 57 (5) 324-330.