Contact Dr Luca Alibardi
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Food waste
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Alibardi holds a degree and a PhD in Environmental Engineering from the University of Padova (IT). His PhD focused on innovative treatments of tannery sludge and the project was sponsored by Acque del Chiampo S.p.A., a water company treating the industrial wastewater from the tanning pole of Arzignano, Vicenza – Italy.
After his PhD, Dr Alibardi continued to work at the University of Padova as a research fellow with research activities mainly focusing in the field of biological hydrogen production from organic waste. He also worked on a project for the co-treatment of source segregated wastewater and organic waste (AquaNova concept) with a pilot installation in a mountain hut (EnergiaNova project).
During his time at the University of Padova Dr Alibardi developed expertise in the evaluation of Biochemical Methane Potential (BMP tests) of different organic substrates, analysis and technical support for public bodies and private companies active in the field of anaerobic digestion for waste or agricultural products and residues.
Dr Alibardi joined Cranfield University in 2005 as Research Fellow and worked as seconded within the Innovation Team of Severn Trent Water to deliver research and development projects for the UK Water Sector.
Dr Alibardi’s current research interests centre on the development of alternative technologies for solids removal in wastewater and water treatments. His research currently focuses on the use of cloth filtration as an alternative to conventional membranes to develop combined membrane-biological processes to sustain the production of added value products from waste materials.
To deliver on the EPSRC PLEXUS Project, Dr Alibardi is looking at the impact of temperature variations on water and wastewater treatment infrastructure and distribution systems due to the installation of heat exchange systems.
Dr Alibardi is Centre Manager of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Water Infrastructure and Resilience (WIRe - www.cdtwire.com).
He is Co-Leader of the Task Group on
Waste Biorefinery of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG - www.iwwg.eu).
Articles In Journals
- Alibardi L, Vale P & Bajón Fernández Y (2021) Full-scale trials to achieve low total phosphorus in effluents from sewage treatment works, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 40 (April) Article No. 101981.
- Alibardi L, Astrup TF, Asunis F, Clarke WP, De Gioannis G, Dessì P, Lens PNL, Lavagnolo MC, Lombardi L, Muntoni A, Pivato A, Polettini A, Pomi R, Rossi A, Spagni A & Spiga D (2020) Organic waste biorefineries: looking towards implementation, Waste Management, 114 (August) 274-286.
- Abdel-Aal M, Villa R, Jawiarczyk N, Alibardi L, Jensen H, Schellart A, Jefferson B, Shepley P & Tait S (2020) Potential influence of sewer heat recovery on in-sewer processes, Water Science and Technology, 80 (12) 2344-2351.
- Bianchi L, Kirwan K, Alibardi L, Pidou M & Coles SR (2020) Recovery of ammonia from wastewater through chemical precipitation: Investigating the kinetic mechanism and reactions pathway of struvite decomposition, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 142 (3) 1303-1314.
- Hargreaves A, Vale P, Whelan J, Alibardi L, Constantino C, Dotro G, Cartmell E & Campo P (2018) Impacts of coagulation-flocculation treatment on the size distribution and bioavailability of trace metals (Cu, Pb, Ni, Zn) in municipal wastewater, Water Research, 128 (January) 120-128.
- Lavagnolo MC, Girotto F, Rafieenia R, Danieli L & Alibardi L (2018) Two-stage anaerobic digestion of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste - Effects of process conditions during batch tests, Renewable Energy, 126 (October) 14-20.
- Hargreaves AJ, Vale P, Whelan J, Alibardi L, Constantino C, Dotro G, Cartmell E & Campo P (2018) Coagulation–flocculation process with metal salts, synthetic polymers and biopolymers for the removal of trace metals (Cu, Pb, Ni, Zn) from municipal wastewater, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 20 (2) 393-402.
- Saleem M, Spagni A, Alibardi L, Bertucco A & Lavagnolo MC (2018) Assessment of dynamic membrane filtration for biological treatment of old landfill leachate, Journal of Environmental Management, 213 (May) 27-35.
- Saleem M, Alibardi L, Cossu R, Lavagnolo MC & Spagni A (2017) Analysis of fouling development under dynamic membrane filtration operation, Chemical Engineering Journal, 312 136-143.
- Lavagnolo MC, Malagoli M, Alibardi, L, Garbo F, Pivato A & Cossu R (2017) Use of oleaginous plants in phytotreatment of grey water and yellow water from source separation of sewage, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 55 274-282.
- Alibardi L, Green K, Favaro L, Vale P, Soares A, Cartmell E & Bajón Fernández Y (2017) Performance and stability of sewage sludge digestion under CO 2 enrichment: a pilot study, Bioresource Technology, 245 (Part A) 581-589.
- Alibardi L, Bernava N, Cossu R & Spagni A (2016) Anaerobic dynamic membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment at ambient temperature, Chemical Engineering Journal, 284 130-138.
- Shah AT, Favaro L, Alibardi L, Cagnin L, Sandon A, Cossu R, Casella S & Basaglia M (2016) Bacillus sp. strains to produce bio-hydrogen from the organic fraction of municipal solid waste, Applied Energy, 176 116-124.
- Alibardi L & Cossu R (2016) Pre-treatment of tannery sludge for sustainable landfilling, Waste Management, 52 202-211.
- Alibardi L & Cossu R (2016) Effects of carbohydrate, protein and lipid content of organic waste on hydrogen production and fermentation products, Waste Management, 47 (A) 69-77.
- Saleem M, Alibardi L, Lavagnolo MC, Cossu R & Spagni A (2016) Effect of filtration flux on the development and operation of a dynamic membrane for anaerobic wastewater treatment, Journal of Environmental Management, 180 459-465.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Green K, Schuler K, Soares A, Vale P, Alibardi L & Cartmell E (2015) Biological carbon dioxide utilisation in food waste anaerobic digesters, Water Research, 87 467-475.
- Girotto F, Alibardi L & Cossu R (2015) Food waste generation and industrial uses: A review, Waste Management, 45 32-41.
- Alibardi L & Cossu R (2015) Composition variability of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste and effects on hydrogen and methane production potentials, Waste Management, 36 147-155.
- Tercero EAR, Alibardi L, Cossu R & Bertucco A (2014) Anaerobic digestion of microalgal residues to enhance the energetic profit of biocrude production, Chemical engineering transactions, 37 793-798.
- Alibardi L, Cossu R, Saleem M & Spagni A (2014) Development and permeability of a dynamic membrane for anaerobic wastewater treatment, Bioresource Technology, 161 236-244.
- Favaro L, Alibardi L, Lavagnolo MC, Casella S & Basaglia M (2013) Effects of inoculum and indigenous microflora on hydrogen production from the organic fraction of municipal solid waste, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38 (27) 11774-11779.
- Alibardi L, Favaro L, Lavagnolo MC, Basaglia M & Casella S (2012) Effects of heat treatment on microbial communities of granular sludge for biological hydrogen production, Water Science and Technology, 66 (7) 1483-1490.