Areas of expertise
- Environmental Policy
- Managing Corporate Sustainability
- Natural capital
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
Dr Kenisha Garnett’s expertise is in futures analysis, strategic risk assessment, and stakeholder and public engagement. Her current research is developing underpinning robust foresight and futures methodologies that link evidence-based strategic risk with value judgements to assess system resilience and the robustness of policies and approaches for the green economy.
Kenisha has led the development of medium and large scenarios projects and designed and delivered horizon scanning programmes, focused on the long-term sustainability of environment and food systems, and supported a UK pan-governmental futures partnership. Kenisha has previous international experience, primarily in the field of environmental management and engineering, through projects in Latin America and the Caribbean region funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the World Bank. Kenisha's expertise is at the intersection of society and the environment, combining fundamental and applied engineering with social science skills and a sound knowledge of deliberative strategies for stakeholders (including communities) involvement in the development of public policy.
Kenisha has a PhD in Waste Management Policy and Stakeholder Engagement, MA in Social Science Research Methods, MSc(Eng.) in Environmental Engineering and Project Management, and a BEng. in Civil Engineering.
2019 - 2020. University-Industry Links Foresight for Food. Train the trainers project: building a strategic roadmap for the Thai food industry. British Council Thailand and Food Innopolis.
2018 - ongoing. Secretariat service for an EU foresight system to detect emerging environmental issues. DG Environment, European Commission.
2017 - 2018. Membership of the European Food Safety Agency's (EFSA) Standing Working Group on Emerging Risks
2017 - 2018. Characterisation of emerging environmental issues related to 'New Technologies in the Urban Environment'. DG Environment, European Commission.
2016 - 2017. Research and development of a horizon scanning toolkit. Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA).
2014 - 2015. Review of the application of the precautionary principle in EU law and case law. Syngenta.
2012 - 2014. Strategic foresight research to analyse the long-term sustainability of environmental and food systems and support to a pan-government futures partnership led by Defra
- British Council Thailand
- Food Innopolis
- European Commission (DG Environment)
- European Food Safety Agency (EFSA)
- Scottish Environmental Protection Agency
- Food Standards Agency
- Environment Agency
- Natural Resources Wales
- Welsh Government
Articles In Journals
- EFSA, Donohoe T, Kenisha G, Lansink AO, Afonso A & Noteborn H (2018) Emerging risks identification on food and feed – EFSA, EFSA Journal, 16 (7) Article No. e05359.
- Garnett K, Cooper T, Longhurst P, Jude S & Tyrrel S (2017) A conceptual framework for negotiating public involvement in municipal waste management decision-making in the UK, Waste Management, 66 (August) 210-221.
- Dagonneau J, Rocks SA, Prpich G, Garnett K, Black E & Pollard SJT (2017) Strategic risk appraisal. Comparing expert- and literature-informed consequence assessments for environmental policy risks receiving national attention, Science of the Total Environment, 595 537-546.
- Garnett K & Parsons DJ (2016) Multi-case review of the application of the precautionary principle in European Union Law and Case Law, Risk Analysis, 37 (3) 502-516.
- Frijns J, Smith HM, Brouwer S, Garnett K, Elelman R & Jeffrey P (2016) How governance regimes shape the implementation of water reuse schemes, Water (Switzerland), 8 (12) Article No. 605.
- Garnett K, Lickorish FA, Rocks SA, Prpich G, Rathe AA & Pollard SJT (2016) Integrating horizon scanning and strategic risk prioritisation using a weight of evidence framework to inform policy decisions, Science of the Total Environment, 560-561 (August) 82-91.
- Henriques C, Garnett K, Weatherhead EK, Lickorish FA, Forrow D & Delgado J (2015) The future water environment – Using scenarios to explore the significant water management challenges in England and Wales to 2050., Science of the Total Environment, 512-513 (April) 381-396.
- Garnett K & Cooper T (2014) Effective dialogue: Enhanced public engagement as a legitimising tool for municipal waste management decision-making, Waste Management, 34 (12) 2709-2726.
- Bramhall M, Gray L, Corker C, Garnett K & Hill R (2012) Analysis of critical thinking skills in an international, cross-institutional group of engineering Master’s students, Industry and Higher Education, 26 (4) 323-327.
- Gray L, Bramhall M, Corker C & Garnett K (2012) Analysis of critical thinking skills across an international master's students in Engineering for a cross-institutional group. In: 4th International Symposium for Engineering Education, 2012, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield, 19-20 July 2012.
- Gray L, Bramhall M, Garnett K & Corker C (2011) Analysis of critical thinking skills across an international, cross-institutional student group. In: TIS International Conference - Internationalisation of Pedagogy and Curriculum in Higher Education: Exploring New Frontiers, 2011, University of Warwick, Coventry, 16-17 June 2011.
- Garnett K & Moore I (2010) The role of a Centre for Excellence in developing a scholarship of teaching based on pedagogical practice around learner autonomy.. In: International Consortium for Educational Developers (ICED) Conference, Barcelona, 28-30 June 2010.
- Elfving-Hwang J, Moore I & Garnett K (2010) Skills development and lifelong learning.. In: Improving Student Learning For the Twenty-First Century Learner, London, 7 September 2009 - 9 September 2010.
- Moore I, Elfving-Hwang J, Garnett & K (2009) Developing Communities of Practice: the role of a Centre for Excellence in fostering staff communities.. In: Higher Education Academy (HEA) Conference: Inspiring Teaching, Transforming Learning, Manchester, 30 June - 2 July 2009.
- Garnett K, Cooper T, Heath M & Cartwright G (2008) The expert-public interface in municipal waste management decision making: exploring opinions from stakeholder groups. In: Creative Management: Gaining the Trust of People, Chartered Institution of Wastes Management 2008 Conference and Symposium on Waste Treatment Technologies, Paignton, 10-13 June 2008.
- Garnett K, Cooper T, Heath M & Cartwright G (2008) Public involvement in local waste strategy development and facility planning: exploring opinions from stakeholder groups.. In: 23rd International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Widener University, Pennsylvania, 31 March - 2 April 2008.
- Burgess PJ, den Herder M, Dupraz C, Garnett K, Giannitsopoulos M, Graves AR, Hermansen JE, Kanzler M, Liagre F, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Pantera A & Plieninger T (2018) AGFORWARD Third Periodic Report: July 2016 to December 2017. Cranfield: Cranfield University.
- Burgess PJ, den Herder M, Dupraz C, Garnett K, Giannitsopoulos M, Graves AR, Hermansen JE, Kanzler M, Liagre F, Mirck J, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Pantera A & Plieninger T (2018) AGFORWARD Project Final Report. Cranfield: Cranfield University.
- Burgess PJ, den Herder M, Dupraz C, Garcia de Jalon S, Garnett K, Graves AR, Hermansen JE, Liagre F, Mirck J, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Pantera A & Plieninger T (2016) AGFORWARD Second Periodic Report: January 2015 to June 2016..
- Mackenzie D, Cooper T & Garnett K (2010) Can Durability Provide a Strong Marketing Platform?. In: Longer Lasting Solutions: Alternatives to the Throwaway Society, Gower Publishing Limited, p. 297-315.
- Garnett K & Moore I (2010) The CPLA small scale project scheme: an introduction. In: CPLA case studies: volume 2, Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Hallam University. Centre for Promoting Learner Autonomy, p. 11-14.
- Moore I, Elfving-Hwang J, Garnett K, Corker C (eds), (2010) CPLA case studies: volume 1, Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Hallam University. Centre for Promoting Learner Autonomy.
- Garnett K (eds), (2009) CPLA: Centre for Promoting Learner Autonomy: A Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning: Case Studies Volume 1, Sheffield: Alpha Books on behalf of Sheffield Hallam University, Centre for Promoting Learner Autonomy.