Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Renewable Energy
- Sensor Technologies
Dr Jerry Luo is a lecturer in Energy Storage and Harvesting at Cranfield University. His current research focuses on: (i) Energy harvesting; (ii) Renewable energy; and (iii) Sensors. He has expertise in energy harvesting technologies (piezoelectric and thermoelectric), functional materials development and characterisations, and renewable energies. He completed his PhD at the University of New South Wales (Australia), focusing on the development and characterization of lead-free piezoelectric materials. During PhD he was awarded a fellowship and worked at Technical University Darmstadt (Germany) as a visiting researcher. After his PhD he has been working in the universities in Australia and the UK, and joined Cranfield in 2016.
His research has been sponsored with funding over £2.5M, from Innovate UK, UKRI (EPSRC), HEIF (Higher Education Innovation Fund) and industry. He is currently the Principle Investigator and Co-Investigator of 7 Innovate UK projects, 1 EPSRC ICASE project collaborated with BAE Systems, and 1 EPSRC Researcher in Residence. He was also the awardee of Innovate UK ICURe award. His current research groups has 2 postdocs and 5 PhDs. and runs a laboratory on materials development and device prototyping. His research on energy harvesting has been reported by the Financial Times in 2019 article.
PhDs, MSc by Research, visiting academics and exchanged PhDs are welcome. You will be supported by my research group and laboratory, and involved in the exciting research projects.
If you are interested in the PhD study in my research group please contact me. PhD scholarships are available from time to time.
We recruit postdocs from time to time. Please contact me and we can discuss the opportunities.
Master placement, PhD exchanges, visiting academics please contact me to discuss the opportunities.
Current PhD students: 5 students
1. Innovate UK Energy Catalyst project ‘A CSP and TFG hybrid energy system’ (PI and Project Lead, £299,918, 2020 -2021);
2. EPSRC ICASE PhD project sponsored by EPSRC and BAE Systems (PI and supervisor, 2020 -2024);
3. Innovate UK project 'Development of a shortlist-and-test diagnostic platform for brucellosis in livestock' (PI, £266,946, 2019 - 2022);
4. EPSRC Researcher in Residence ''Renewable energy integrated intelligent charging system for EV', EP/T517306/1, (PI, £49,781, 2019 - 2021);
5. Innovate UK project 'CoolerSun: creating a clean and reliable cooling, heating, water treatment and electricity' (PI, 2020, completed);
6. Innovate UK project 'HH-Gen: High performance green hydrogen generation from solar energy' (Co-I, £311,153, 2020-2021);
7. Innovate UK project 'Second Life Batteries for Commercial Energy Use' (Co-I, £411,477, 2020-2021);
8. Innovate UK project 'Advanced grid services provided by optimised EV community and fleet charging' (Co-I, £200,595, 2020-2021);
9. Innovate UK project 'Development of a low carbon heating and cooling system with storage and gender-based temperature regulation for public and commercial buildings' (Co-I, £312,350, 2020-2021);
10. Higher Education Innovation Fund 'Demonstration of Thermo-Foil-Generator (TFG) for Industrial Waste Heat Recovery' (Co-I, 2020, completed);
11. MSc Group project sponsored ‘Renewable energy integrated base stations and their energy management’ by Mobile Broadband Network Limited (Co-I, 2020, completed);
12. Innovate UK ICURe Award 'Make sense of your sole' (PI, 2019, completed);
13. MSc Group project ‘Detection system for overhead distribution cable positional faults’ sponsored by UK Power Networks Limited (Co-I, 2019, completed);
14. EPSRC eFutures sandpit 'Feasibility study Maternal IoT garment for foetal electrocardiogram' (PI, 2018, completed)
- Innovate UK
- Newton Fund
- The Higher Education Innovation Fund
- BAE Systems
- Mobile Broadband Network Limited
- UK Power Networks Limited
- Thermoelectric Conversion Systems
- TFG Global Power
Articles In Journals
- Yan X, Luo Q, Sun J, Luo Z & Chen Y (2021) Online dynamic working-state recognition through uncertain data classification, Information Sciences, 555 (May) 1-16.
- Wang Z, Lan R, Xu Y, Zuo J, Han X, Phouthapane V, Luo Z & Miao J (2021) Taurine alleviates Streptococcus uberis-induced inflammation by activating autophagy in mammary epithelial cells, Frontiers in Immunology, 12 Article No. 631113.
- Dore H, Aviles-Espinosa R, Luo Z, Anton O, Rabe H & Rendon-Morales E (2021) Characterisation of textile embedded electrodes for use in a neonatal smart mattress electrocardiography system, Sensors, 21 (3) Article No. 999.
- Luo Q, Yan X, Ju C, Chen Y & Luo Z (2020) An ultra-short baseline underwater positioning system with Kalman filtering, Sensors, 21 (1) Article No. 143.
- Shi J, Luo Z, Zhu D & Beeby S (2019) Optimization a structure of MEMS based PDMS ferroelectret for human body energy harvesting and sensing, Smart Materials and Structures, 28 (7) Article No. 075010.
- Mitrovic IZ, Weerakkody AD, Sedghi N, Ralph JF, Hall S, Dhanak VR, Luo Z & Beeby S (2018) Controlled modification of resonant tunneling in metal-insulator-insulator-metal structures, Applied Physics Letters, 112 (1) Article No. 012902 1-5.
- Promsawat N, Promsawat M, Janphuang P, Luo Z, Beeby S, Rojviriya C, Pakawanit P & Pojprapai S (2018) CNTs-added PMNT/PDMS flexible piezoelectric nanocomposite for energy harvesting application, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 187 (1) 70-79.
- Almusallama A, Luo Z, Komolafea A, Yang K, Robinson A, Torah R & Beeby S (2017) Flexible piezoelectric nano-composite films for kinetic energy harvesting from textiles, Nano Energy, 33 (March) 146-156.
- Promsawat M, Marungsri B, Promsawat N, Janphuang P, Luo Z & Pojprapai S (2017) Effects of temperature on aging degradation of soft and hard lead zirconate titanate ceramics, Ceramics International, 43 (13) 9709-9714.
- Promsawat M, Promsawat N, Wong JW, Luo Z, Pojprapai S & Jiansirisomboon S (2017) Effects of frequency on electrical fatigue behavior of ZnO-modified Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)0.65Ti0.35O3 ceramics, Ceramics International, 43 (16) 13475-13482.
- Promsawat N, Promsawat M, Janphuang P, Marungsri B, Luo Z & Pojprapai S (2017) Investigation of the effect of temperature on aging behavior of Fe-doped lead zirconate titanate, Functional Materials Letters, 10 (3) Article No. 1750026.
- Mitrovic IZ, Weerakkody AD, Sedghi N, Hall S, Ralph JF, Wrench JS, Chalker PR, Luo Z & Beeby S (2016) Tunnel-barrier rectifiers for optical nantennas, ECS Transactions, 72 (2) Article No. 287.
- Chen HJ, Han S, Liu C, Luo Z, Shieh HPD, Hsiao RS & Yang BR (2016) Investigation of PVDF-TrFE composite with nanofillers for sensitivity improvement, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 245 (July) 135-139.
- Luo Z, Zhu D & Beeby S (2016) An electromechanical model of ferroelectret for energy harvesting, Smart Materials and Structures, 25 (4) Article No. 45010.
- Huang J-F, Han S-J, Chen H-J, Liu G-S, Li G-T, Wang Y-C, Wang Z-W, Yang B-R, Luo Z-H & Shieh H-PD (2016) Enhancement of polar phases in PVDF by forming PVDF/SiC nanowire composite, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 23 (6) 3612-3619.
- Shi J, Luo Z, Zhu D & Beeby SP (2016) PDMS/PVA composite ferroelectret for improved energy harvesting performance, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 773 (1) Article No. 12051.
- Luo Z, Shi J & Beeby SP (2016) Novel thick-foam ferroelectret with engineered voids for energy harvesting applications, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 773 (1) Article No. 12030.
- Luo Z., Zhu D. & Beeby S. (2015) Multilayer ferroelectret-based energy harvesting insole, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 660 (1) 1-5.
- Luo Z., Zhu D., Shi J., Beeby S., Zhang C., Proynov P. & Stark B. (2015) Energy harvesting study on single and multilayer ferroelectret foams under compressive force, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 22 (3) 1360-1368.
- Luo Z., Pojprapai S., Glaum J. & Hoffman M. (2012) Electrical fatigue-induced cracking in lead zirconate titanate piezoelectric ceramic and its influence quantitatively analyzed by refatigue method, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95 (8) 2593-2600.
- Pojprapai S., Luo Z. & Yimnirun R. (2012) Frequency effect on electrical fatigue behaviour of lead zirconate titanate ceramics, Electronics Letters, 48 (17) 1062-1064.
- Pojprapai S., Simons H., Studer A., Luo Z. & Hoffman M. (2011) Temperature dependence on domain switching behavior in lead zirconate titanate under electrical load via in situ neutron diffraction, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 (10) 3202-3205.
- Luo Z., Granzow T., Glaum J., Jo W., Rödel J. & Hoffman M. (2011) Effect of ferroelectric long-range order on the unipolar and bipolar electric fatigue in Bi1/2Na1/2TiO3-based lead-free piezoceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 (11) 3927-3933.
- Luo Z., Glaum J., Granzow T., Jo W., Dittmer R., Hoffman M. & Rödel J. (2011) Bipolar and unipolar fatigue of ferroelectric BNT-based lead-free piezoceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 (2) 529-535.
- Luo Z (2010) Dynamic processes of domain switching in lead zirconate titanate under cyclic mechanical loading by in situ neutron diffraction, Acta Materialia, 58 (6) 1897-1908.
- Matsutani A., Luo Z., Pojprapai S., Hoffman M. & Pezzotti G. (2009) Visualization of highly graded oxygen vacancy profiles in lead-zirconate-titanate by spectrally resolved cathodoluminescence spectroscopy, Applied Physics Letters, 95 (20) 1-3.
- Man H., Furukawa T., Hoffman M., Imlao S. & Lou Z. (2007) An indirect implicit model for frequency dependent hystereses of piezoelectric ceramics, Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society, 43 (2) 169-174.
- Dore H, Aviles-Espinosa R, Luo Z, Anton O, Rabe H & Rendon-Morales E (2020) Evaluation of screen-printing techniques for embedding ECG sensors in medical devices. In: 2020 27th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems (ICECS), Glasgow, 23-25 November 2020.
- Balakrishna C, Rendon-Morales E, Aviles-Espinosa R, Dore H & Luo Z (2019) Challenges of Wearable Health Monitors: A Case study of Foetal ECG Monitor. In: 2019 Global IoT Summit, Aarhus, 17-21 June 2019.
- Aviles-Espinosa R, Rendon-Morales E, Luo Z, Dore H, Anton O, Rabe H & Prance RJ (2019) Neo-SENSE: a non-invasive smart sensing mattress for cardiac monitoring of babies. In: 2019 IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, Sophia Antipolis, 11-13 March 2019.
- Rodriguez A, Balsamo D, Luo Z, Beeby SP, Merrett GV & Weddel AS (2017) Intermittently-powered energy harvesting step counter for fitness tracking. In: 2017 IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, Glassboro, NJ, 13-15 March 2017.