Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Renewable Energy
- Sensor Technologies
Dr Jerry Luo is a lecturer in Energy Storage and Harvesting at Cranfield University. His current research focuses on: (i) environmental energy harvesting; (ii) IoT sensor network; (iii) wearable sensor and (iv) functional nanomaterials. He has expertise in energy harvesting technologies (piezoelectric and thermoelectric), functional materials development and characterisations, IoT sensors and network, and wearable health monitoring. Within this context his research focuses on the development of advanced functional materials and energy harvesting/sensing devices.
Dr Luo is the Cranfield's PI in a £780k Innovate UK project on the development of an agriculture sensor platform, and the EPSRC Researcher in Residence in the UK Catapults of High Value Manufacturing and Energy Systems. He is the awardee of EPSRC eFutures award and Innovate UK ICURe award.
Dr Luo completed his PhD at the University of New South Wales (Australia), focusing on the development and characterization of lead-free piezoelectric materials. During PhD he was awarded a fellowship and worked at Technical University Darmstadt (Germany) as a visiting researcher. Based on his research on functional materials, he designed an energy harvesting device and was granted a patent. He then joined a start-up company to lead a R&D team on energy harvesting technology, and later on joined University of Southampton as a post-doctoral research fellow in 2013. In the post at Southampton he contributed to six research projects and led two of them, also provided consultancy in several company contracts. He took up the current post at Cranfield University from November 2016.
Dr Jerry Luo is currently involved in the research related to environmental renewable energy and sensor network, including developing environmental energy capture and storage, environmental sensor device and advanced functional materials.
Articles In Journals
- Shi J, Luo Z, Zhu D & Beeby S (2019) Optimization a structure of MEMS based PDMS ferroelectret for human body energy harvesting and sensing, Smart Materials and Structures, 28 (7) Article No. 075010.
- Promsawat N, Promsawat M, Janphuang P, Luo Z, Beeby S, Rojviriya C, Pakawanit P & Pojprapai S (2018) CNTs-added PMNT/PDMS flexible piezoelectric nanocomposite for energy harvesting application, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 187 (1) 70-79.
- Mitrovic IZ, Weerakkody AD, Sedghi N, Ralph JF, Hall S, Dhanak VR, Luo Z & Beeby S (2018) Controlled modification of resonant tunneling in metal-insulator-insulator-metal structures, Applied Physics Letters, 112 (1, 012902).
- Almusallama A, Luo Z, Komolafea A, Yang K, Robinson A, Torah R & Beeby S (2017) Flexible piezoelectric nano-composite films for kinetic energy harvesting from textiles, Nano Energy, 33 (March) 146-156.
- Promsawat M, Marungsri B, Promsawat N, Janphuang P, Luo Z & Pojprapai S (2017) Effects of temperature on aging degradation of soft and hard lead zirconate titanate ceramics, Ceramics International, 43 (13) 9709-9714.
- Promsawat M, Promsawat N, Wong JW, Luo Z, Pojprapai S & Jiansirisomboon S (2017) Effects of frequency on electrical fatigue behavior of ZnO-modified Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)0.65Ti0.35O3 ceramics, Ceramics International, 43 (16) 13475-13482.
- Promsawat N, Promsawat M, Janphuang P, Marungsri B, Luo Z & Pojprapai S (2017) Investigation of the effect of temperature on aging behavior of Fe-doped lead zirconate titanate, Functional Materials Letters, 10 (3) Article No. 1750026.
- Chen HJ, Han S, Liu C, Luo Z, Shieh HPD, Hsiao RS & Yang BR (2016) Investigation of PVDF-TrFE composite with nanofillers for sensitivity improvement, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 245 (July) 135-139.
- Luo Z, Zhu D & Beeby S (2016) An electromechanical model of ferroelectret for energy harvesting, Smart Materials and Structures, 25 (4) Article No. 45010.
- Huang J-F, Han S-J, Chen H-J, Liu G-S, Li G-T, Wang Y-C, Wang Z-W, Yang B-R, Luo Z-H & Shieh H-PD (2016) Enhancement of polar phases in PVDF by forming PVDF/SiC nanowire composite, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 23 (6) 3612-3619.
- Shi J, Luo Z, Zhu D & Beeby SP (2016) PDMS/PVA composite ferroelectret for improved energy harvesting performance, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 773 (1) Article No. 12051.
- Luo Z, Shi J & Beeby SP (2016) Novel thick-foam ferroelectret with engineered voids for energy harvesting applications, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 773 (1) Article No. 12030.
- Luo Z., Zhu D. & Beeby S. (2015) Multilayer ferroelectret-based energy harvesting insole, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 660 (1) 1-5.
- Luo Z., Zhu D., Shi J., Beeby S., Zhang C., Proynov P. & Stark B. (2015) Energy harvesting study on single and multilayer ferroelectret foams under compressive force, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 22 (3) 1360-1368.
- Luo Z., Pojprapai S., Glaum J. & Hoffman M. (2012) Electrical fatigue-induced cracking in lead zirconate titanate piezoelectric ceramic and its influence quantitatively analyzed by refatigue method, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95 (8) 2593-2600.
- Pojprapai S., Luo Z. & Yimnirun R. (2012) Frequency effect on electrical fatigue behaviour of lead zirconate titanate ceramics, Electronics Letters, 48 (17) 1062-1064.
- Pojprapai S., Simons H., Studer A., Luo Z. & Hoffman M. (2011) Temperature dependence on domain switching behavior in lead zirconate titanate under electrical load via in situ neutron diffraction, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 (10) 3202-3205.
- Luo Z., Granzow T., Glaum J., Jo W., Rödel J. & Hoffman M. (2011) Effect of ferroelectric long-range order on the unipolar and bipolar electric fatigue in Bi1/2Na1/2TiO3-based lead-free piezoceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 (11) 3927-3933.
- Luo Z., Glaum J., Granzow T., Jo W., Dittmer R., Hoffman M. & Rödel J. (2011) Bipolar and unipolar fatigue of ferroelectric BNT-based lead-free piezoceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 (2) 529-535.
- Luo Z (2010) Dynamic processes of domain switching in lead zirconate titanate under cyclic mechanical loading by in situ neutron diffraction, Acta Materialia, 58 (6) 1897-1908.
- Matsutani A., Luo Z., Pojprapai S., Hoffman M. & Pezzotti G. (2009) Visualization of highly graded oxygen vacancy profiles in lead-zirconate-titanate by spectrally resolved cathodoluminescence spectroscopy, Applied Physics Letters, 95 (20) 1-3.
- Man H., Furukawa T., Hoffman M., Imlao S. & Lou Z. (2007) An indirect implicit model for frequency dependent hystereses of piezoelectric ceramics, Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society, 43 (2) 169-174.