Contact Dr Irene Moulitsas
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
Dr Moulitsas received her PhD in Scientific Computation from the University of Minnesota in USA and a BSc in Mathematics, with emphasis on Computational Mathematics, from the University of Crete in Greece. Before joining Cranfield University, Irene was a research scientist at the University of Cyprus, adjunct faculty at the Cyprus University of Technology and research assistant at the University of Minnesota Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC) and the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI).
High Performance Computing, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Graph Algorithms, Numerical Simulations, Scientific Computing, Computational Science and Engineering, Novel algorithms development for solving important existing and emerging problems, and development of practical software tools implementing these algorithms.
Dr Irene Moulitsas joined Cranfield University in 2012 and is currently a Senior Lecturer in Scientific Computing and the Course Director for the MSc in Computational Software Techniques in Engineering. Irene's research has focused on developing novel algorithms for enabling the efficient execution of large scientific computations on parallel processing platforms. She has developed highly efficient serial and parallel algorithms, and software, that are publicly available for use. Her research work is published in highly selective conferences and international journals and her software packages are used extensively by numerous universities, research laboratories, and companies. In 2021 Irene was selected in the Top 100 Women in Engineering in the UK (INWED2021: Engineering Heroes).
Irene's research work has been funded through the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Department of Defence (DoD), European Framework Programs (FP5 and FP7), the Research Promotion Foundation (RPF) of Cyprus, UK Research and Innovation EPSRC and Innovate UK.
Articles In Journals
- Alreshidi I, Moulitsas I & Jenkins KW (2023) Multimodal approach for pilot mental state detection based on EEG, Sensors, 23 (17) Article No. 7350. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.22232062
- Abolholl HAA, Teschner T-R & Moulitsas I (2023) Surface line integral convolution-based vortex detection using computer vision, Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Available online 11 January 2023.
- Bisandu DB, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2022) Social ski driver conditional autoregressive-based deep learning classifier for flight delay prediction, Neural Computing and Applications, 34 (11) 8777-8802.
- Homaid M, Bisandu D, Moulitsas I & Jenkins K (2022) Analysing the sentiment of air-traveller: a comparative analysis, International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering, 14 (2) 48-53. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19375334
- Alsanousi H, Albarrak N, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Understanding customer behaviours toward the use of electronic banking given customer characteristics and financial portfolios, International Journal of Business and Social Science, 12 (1) 54-64.
- Albano A, le Guillou E, Danze A, Moulitsas I, Sahputra IH, Rahmat A, Duque-Daza CA, Shang X, Ng KC, Ariane M & Alexiadis A (2021) How to modify LAMMPS: from the prospective of a particle method researcher, ChemEngineering, 5 (2) Article No. 30.
- Rasmussen S, Gutmann ED, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Fortran coarray implementation of semi-Lagrangian convected air particles within an atmospheric model, ChemEngineering, 5 (2) Article No. 21. Dataset/s: 10.5281/zenodo.4734314
- Alexiadis A, Simmons MJH, Stamatopoulos K, Batchelor HK & Moulitsas I (2021) The virtual physiological human gets nerves! How to account for the action of the nervous system in multiphysics simulations of human organs, Interface, 18, (177) Article No. 20201024.
- Albarrak N, Alsanousi H, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2020) Using Big Data to compare classification models for household credit rating in Kuwait, International Journal of Soft Computing and Artificial Intelligence, 8 (2) 1-7.
- Alexiadis A, Simmons MJH, Stamatopoulos K, Batchelor HK & Moulitsas I (2020) The duality between particle methods and artificial neural networks, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 16247.
- Szőke M, Józsa T, Koleszár A, Moulitsas I & Könözsy L (2017) Performance evaluation of a two-dimensional lattice Boltzmann solver using CUDA and PGAS UPC based parallelisation, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 44 (1) Article No. 8.
- Sharma A & Moulitsas I (2017) MPI to Coarray Fortran: experiences with a CFD solver for unstructured meshes, Scientific Programming, 2017 (September) Article No. 3409647.
- Rutherford R, Moulitsas I, Snow BJ, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2015) CranSLIK v2.0: improving the stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development, 8 (10) 3365-3377.
- Rutherford R, Moulitsas I, Snow BJ, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2015) CranSLIK v2.0: improvements on the stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 8 (6) 4949-4977.
- Snow BJ, Moulitsas I, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2014) CranSLIK v1.0: stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development, 7 (4) 1507-1516.
- Damianou Y, Georgiou GC & Moulitsas I (2013) Combined effects of compressibility and slip in flows of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 193 89-102.
- Taliadorou E, Georgiou GC & Moulitsas I (2009) Weakly compressible Poiseuille flows of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 158 (1-3) 162-169.
- Moulitsas I & Georgiou G (2009) Steady Flow Of A Two-Dimensional Liquid Curtain Under Pressure, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 3 (2) 271-276.
- Rouson DWI, Rosenberg R, Xu XF, Moulitsas I & Kassinos SC (2008) A grid-free abstraction of the Navier-Stokes equations in Fortran 95/2003, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 34 (1) 2-1-2-33.
- Rouson DI, Kassinos SC, Moulitsas I, Sarris IE & Xu X (2008) Dispersed-phase structural anisotropy in homogeneous magnetohydrodynamic turbulence at low magnetic Reynolds number, Physics of Fluids, 20 (2) Article No. 025101.
- Caputo JG, Efremidis N, Flytzanis N, Lazarides N, Gaididei Y, Moulitsa I & Vavalis E (2000) Static properties and waveguide modes of a wide lateral window Josephson junction, International Journal of Modern Physics C, 11 (3) 493-517.
- Caputo JG, Flytzanis N, Gaididei Y, Moulitsa I & Vavalis E (1998) Split mode method for the elliptic 2D sine-Gordon equation: Application to Josephson junction in overlap geometry, International Journal of Modern Physics C, 9 (2) 301-323.
- Bisandu DB & Moulitsas I (2023) A hybrid ensemble machine learning approach for arrival flight delay classification prediction using voting aggregation technique. In: 2023 AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition (AIAA AVIATION Forum), San Diego, 12-16 June 2023.
- Alreshidi I, Yadav S, Moulitsas I & Jenkins KW (2023) A comprehensive analysis of machine learning and deep learning models for identifying pilots’ mental states from imbalanced physiological data. In: 2023 AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition (AIAA AVIATION Forum), San Diego, 12-16 June 2023.
- Xiong X, Teschner T-R & Moulitsas I (2023) Simulate cavitation bubble with single component multi-phase Lattice Boltzmann method. In: UKACM 2023 Conference (UK Association for Computational Mechanics), Warwick, 19-21 April 2023.
- Alreshidi IM, Moulitsas I & Jenkins KW (2023) Miscellaneous EEG preprocessing and machine learning for pilots' mental states classification: implications. In: 6th International Conference on Advances in Artificial Intelligence (ICAAI 2022), Birmingham, 21-23 October 2022.
- Homaid MS & Moulitsas I (2023) Measuring airport service quality using machine learning algorithms. In: 6th International Conference on Advances in Artificial Intelligence (ICAAI 2022), Birmingham, 21-23 October 2022. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20169254
- Bisandu DB & Moulitsas I (2022) A bidirectional deep LSTM machine learning method for flight delay modelling and analysis. In: National Training Aircraft Symposium (NTAS) 2022 - Bridging the Gap, Daytona Beach, 24-26 October 2022.
- Abolholl HAA, Teschner T-R & Moulitsas I (2022) A hybrid computer vision and machine learning approach for robust vortex core detection in fluid mechanics applications. In: UKACM 2022: 2022 Annual Conference of the UK Association for Computational Mechanics, Nottingham, 20-22 April 2022.
- Alsanousi H, Albarrak N, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Using client’s characteristics and their financial products to predict their usage of banking electronic channels. In: 6th International Congress on Information and Communication Technology, London, 25-26 February 2021.
- Bisandu DB, Homaid MS, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) A deep feedforward neural network and shallow architectures effectiveness comparison: Flight delays classification perspective. In: 5th international conference on advances in artificial intelligence (ICAAI), Virtual Event, 20-22 November 2021.
- Albarrak N, Alsanousi H, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Using Big Data to compare classification models for household credit rating in Kuwait. In: 6th International Congress on Information and Communication Technology, London, 25-26 February 2021.
- Figueroa-González A, Oliveira J, Teschner T-R, Könözsy L, Moulitsas I & Jenkins KW (2018) Validation of an in-house lattice Boltzmann solver for a multiphase flow application. In: 6th European Conference on Computational Mechanics (ECCM 6) and 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ECFD 7), Glasgow, 11-15 June 2018.
- Rasmussen S, Gutmann ED, Friesen B, Rouson D, Filippone S & Moulitsas I (2018) Development and performance comparison of MPI and Fortran Coarrays within an atmospheric research model. In: SC18 The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis, Dallas, TX, 11-16 November 2018.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Józsa T, Szoke M, Teschner T, Könözsy L & Moulitsas I (2016) Validation and verification of a 2D lattice Boltzmann solver for incompressible fluid flow. In: ECCOMAS Congress 2016, 7th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, Crete, 5-10 June 2016.
- Radhakrishnan H, Moulitsas I, Syrakos A, Hayes D, Zodiates G & Georgiou G (2012) On improving the operational performance of the Cyprus coastal ocean forecasting system. In: European Geophysical Union (EGU), 2012, Vienna, 23-27 April 2012.
- Damianou Y, Georgiou G & Moulitsas I (2012) Combined effects of compressibility and slip on flows of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid. In: ICR 2012: The XVIth International Congress on Rheology, 5 August 2012.
- Radhakrishnan H, Moulitsas I, Hayes D, Zodiatis G & Georgiou G Development of a parallel Cyprus coastal ocean forecasting and observing system. In: 1st symposium on the future of operational oceanography: ideas, methods and products, Hamburg, 25 October 2011.
- Moulitsas I (2011) Graph Partitioning for Scientific Computing Applications. In: European Researcher's Night, Nicosia, 23 September 2011.
- Moulitsas I (2010) Mesh partitioning and fill reducing ordering for domain decomposition problems. In: 9th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, 2010, Sydney, 19-23 July 2010.
- Taliadorou E, Georgiou G & Moulitsas I (2009) Weakly compressible flows of viscoplastic fluids. In: PPS-2009 Polymer Processing Society Europe/Africa Regional Meeting, Larnaca, 18 October 2009.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2008) Architecture aware partitioning algorithms. In: 8th international conference on Algorithms and architectures for parallel processing, 2008 (ICA3PP 2008), Agia Napa, 9-11 June 2008.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2006) Partitioning algorithms for parallel applications on heterogeneous architectures. In: SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing (PP06), 2006, California, 22-24 February 2006.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2001)
Multilevel Algorithms for Generating Coarse Grids for Multigrid Methods. In: 2001 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, (SC01), Denver, Colorado, 10-16 November 2001.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2001) Multilevel algorithms for generating coarse grids for multigrid methods. In: 2001 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, (SC01), Denver, Colorado, 10-16 November 2001.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G Partitioning Algorithms for Simultaneously Balancing Iterative and Direct Methods. In: SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE05), Florida, 12 February 2005.