Contact Dr Irene Moulitsas
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
Dr Moulitsas received her PhD in Scientific Computation from the University of Minnesota in USA and a BSc in Mathematics, with emphasis on Computational Mathematics, from the University of Crete in Greece. Before joining Cranfield University, Irene was a research scientist at the University of Cyprus, adjunct faculty at the Cyprus University of Technology and research assistant at the University of Minnesota Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC) and the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute (MSI). As an undergraduate student she participated in the 1995 summer scholarship programme, organised by the University of Edinburgh and the Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC), where she got introduced to the field of High Performance Computing.
Dr Irene Moulitsas joined Cranfield University in 2012 and is currently a Senior Lecturer in Scientific Computing and the Course Director for the MSc in Computational Software Techniques in Engineering. Irene's research has focused on developing novel algorithms for enabling the efficient execution of large scientific computations on parallel processing platforms. She has developed highly efficient serial and parallel algorithms, and software, that are publicly available for use. Her research work is published in highly selective conferences and international journals and her software packages are used extensively by numerous universities, research laboratories, and companies.
Irene's research work has been funded through the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Department of Defence (DoD), European Framework Programs (FP5 and FP7), the Research Promotion Foundation (RPF) of Cyprus, UK Research and Innovation EPSRC and Innovate UK.
Articles In Journals
- Albano A, le Guillou E, Danze A, Moulitsas I, Sahputra IH, Rahmat A, Duque-Daza CA, Shang X, Ng KC, Ariane M & Alexiadis A (2021) How to modify LAMMPS: from the prospective of a particle method researcher, ChemEngineering, 5 (2) Article No. 30.
- Rasmussen S, Gutmann ED, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Fortran coarray implementation of semi-Lagrangian convected air particles within an atmospheric model, ChemEngineering, 5 (2) Article No. 21. Dataset/s: 10.5281/zenodo.4734314
- Alexiadis A, Simmons MJH, Stamatopoulos K, Batchelor HK & Moulitsas I (2021) The virtual physiological human gets nerves! How to account for the action of the nervous system in multiphysics simulations of human organs, Interface, 18, (177) Article No. 20201024.
- Alsanousi H, Albarrak N, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Understanding customer behaviours toward the use of electronic banking given customer characteristics and financial portfolios, International Journal of Business and Social Science, 12 (1, January 2021) 54-64.
- Albarrak N, Alsanousi H, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2020) Using Big Data to compare classification models for household credit rating in Kuwait, International Journal of Soft Computing and Artificial Intelligence, 8 (2) 1-7.
- Alexiadis A, Simmons MJH, Stamatopoulos K, Batchelor HK & Moulitsas I (2020) The duality between particle methods and artificial neural networks, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 16247.
- Szőke M, István Józsa T, Koleszár A, Moulitsas I & Könözsy L (2017) Performance evaluation of a two-dimensional lattice Boltzmann solver using CUDA and PGAS UPC based parallelisation, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 44 (1) Article No. 8.
- Sharma A & Moulitsas I (2017) MPI to Coarray Fortran: experiences with a CFD solver for unstructured meshes, Scientific Programming, 2017 (September) Article No. 3409647.
- Rutherford R, Moulitsas I, Snow BJ, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2015) CranSLIK v2.0: improving the stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development, 8 (10) 3365-3377.
- Rutherford R, Moulitsas I, Snow BJ, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2015) CranSLIK v2.0: improvements on the stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 8 (6) 4949-4977.
- Snow BJ, Moulitsas I, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2014) CranSLIK v1.0: stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development, 7 (4) 1507-1516.
- Snow BJ, Moulitsas I, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2013)
CranSLIK v1.0: Stochastic Prediction of Oil Spill Transport and Fate using Approximation Methods, Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 6 7047-7076.
- Damianou Y, Georgiou GC & Moulitsas I (2013) Combined effects of compressibility and slip in flows of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 193 89-102.
- Taliadorou E, Georgiou GC & Moulitsas I (2009) Weakly compressible Poiseuille flows of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 158 (1-3) 162-169.
- Moulitsas I & Georgiou G (2009) Steady Flow Of A Two-Dimensional Liquid Curtain Under Pressure, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 3 (2) 271-276.
- Rouson DWI, Rosenberg R, Xu XF, Moulitsas I & Kassinos SC (2008) A grid-free abstraction of the Navier-Stokes equations in Fortran 95/2003, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 34 (1) 2-1-2-33.
- Rouson DI, Kassinos SC, Moulitsas I, Sarris IE & Xu X (2008) Dispersed-phase structural anisotropy in homogeneous magnetohydrodynamic turbulence at low magnetic Reynolds number, Physics of Fluids, 20 (2) Article No. 025101.
- Caputo JG, Efremidis N, Flytzanis N, Lazarides N, Gaididei Y, Moulitsa I & Vavalis E (2000) Static properties and waveguide modes of a wide lateral window Josephson junction, International Journal of Modern Physics C, 11 (3) 493-517.
- Caputo JG, Flytzanis N, Gaididei Y, Moulitsa I & Vavalis E (1998) Split mode method for the elliptic 2D sine-Gordon equation: Application to Josephson junction in overlap geometry, International Journal of Modern Physics C, 9 (2) 301-323.
- Bisandu DB, Homaid MS, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) A deep feedforward neural network and shallow architectures effectiveness comparison: Flight delays classification perspective. In: 5th international conference on advances in artificial intelligence (ICAAI), Virtual Event, 20-22 November 2021.
- Alsanousi H, Albarrak N, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Using client’s characteristics and their financial products to predict their usage of banking electronic channels. In: 6th International Congress on Information and Communication Technology, London, 25-26 February 2021.
- Albarrak N, Alsanousi H, Moulitsas I & Filippone S (2021) Using Big Data to compare classification models for household credit rating in Kuwait. In: 6th International Congress on Information and Communication Technology, London, 25-26 February 2021.
- Rasmussen S, Gutmann ED, Friesen B, Rouson D, Filippone S & Moulitsas I (2018) Development and performance comparison of MPI and Fortran Coarrays within an atmospheric research model. In: SC18 The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis, Dallas, TX, 11-16 November 2018.
- Figueroa-González A, Oliveira J, Teschner T-R, Könözsy L, Moulitsas I & Jenkins KW (2018) Validation of an in-house lattice Boltzmann solver for a multiphase flow application. In: 6th European Conference on Computational Mechanics (ECCM 6) and 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ECFD 7), Glasgow, 11-15 June 2018.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Józsa T, Szoke M, Teschner T, Könözsy L & Moulitsas I (2016) Validation and verification of a 2D lattice Boltzmann solver for incompressible fluid flow. In: ECCOMAS Congress 2016, 7th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, Crete, 5-10 June 2016.
- Radhakrishnan H, Moulitsas I, Syrakos A, Hayes D, Zodiates G & Georgiou G (2012) On improving the operational performance of the Cyprus coastal ocean forecasting system. In: European Geophysical Union (EGU), 2012, Vienna, 23-27 April 2012.
- Damianou Y, Georgiou G & Moulitsas I (2012) Combined effects of compressibility and slip on flows of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid. In: ICR 2012: The XVIth International Congress on Rheology, 5 August 2012.
- Radhakrishnan H, Moulitsas I, Hayes D, Zodiatis G & Georgiou G Development of a parallel Cyprus coastal ocean forecasting and observing system. In: 1st symposium on the future of operational oceanography: ideas, methods and products, Hamburg, 25 October 2011.
- Moulitsas I (2011) Graph Partitioning for Scientific Computing Applications. In: European Researcher's Night, Nicosia, 23 September 2011.
- Moulitsas I (2010) Mesh partitioning and fill reducing ordering for domain decomposition problems. In: 9th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, 2010, Sydney, 19-23 July 2010.
- Taliadorou E, Georgiou G & Moulitsas I (2009) Weakly compressible flows of viscoplastic fluids. In: PPS-2009 Polymer Processing Society Europe/Africa Regional Meeting, Larnaca, 18 October 2009.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2008) Architecture aware partitioning algorithms. In: 8th international conference on Algorithms and architectures for parallel processing, 2008 (ICA3PP 2008), Agia Napa, 9-11 June 2008.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2006) Partitioning algorithms for parallel applications on heterogeneous architectures. In: SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing (PP06), 2006, California, 22-24 February 2006.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2001)
Multilevel Algorithms for Generating Coarse Grids for Multigrid Methods. In: 2001 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, (SC01), Denver, Colorado, 10-16 November 2001.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G (2001) Multilevel algorithms for generating coarse grids for multigrid methods. In: 2001 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, (SC01), Denver, Colorado, 10-16 November 2001.
- Moulitsas I & Karypis G Partitioning Algorithms for Simultaneously Balancing Iterative and Direct Methods. In: SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE05), Florida, 12 February 2005.