Contact Dr Imma Bortone
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Energy and the Environment
- Environment and Health
- Environmental Impacts
- Oil and Gas
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
- Water Science and Engineering
Imma joined Cranfield
University in 2017.
She completed her BEng in Civil/Environmental Engineering and MSc in Environmental Engineering in Italy at Second University of Naples (SUN). She holds a PhD in Marine Science and Engineering with thesis examining the efficiency of sediment capping techniques for contaminated sediments, via numerical simulations.
Both before and after her PhD, Imma worked at SUN as researcher, where she was involved in a wide range of projects. These included modelling subsurface flow and transport processes and their associated environmental impact, water quality restoration, environmental risk assessment of contaminated lands, and modelling pollutant dispersion in the atmosphere by using commercial models. She also lectured for the Advanced Master in Analysis, Reclamation and Remediation techniques of contaminated sites.
In 2014, she worked as postgraduate researcher at Imperial College London, in the Department of Earth Science and Engineering, on tracer transport modelling into multilayered systems to evaluate the effect of compartmentalization in hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Prior to this post, Imma worked as Research Fellowship in Waste Water Engineering at London South Bank University (LSBU), on project aimed at applying numerical methods for multi-phase flows into fractured rocks. At LSBU, she also lectured both for the BSc and BEng degree courses in Civil Engineering, and for the BEng degree course in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering.
PhD applications and invitations to collaborations are welcome.
Imma has significant experience in computational analysis and data integration of heterogeneous and complex datasets. Her main area of expertise surrounds fluid flow modelling and environmental engineering.
Her research focuses on analysing and modelling subsurface flow and the physical and reactive processes governing the fate and transport of pollutant in the environment and their associated environmental impact. This has a wide variety of applications in both enhanced reservoir recovery and environmental applications.
Particular areas of interest are
- Subsurface single and multiphase flow modelling
- Wastewater treatment modelling
- Environmental remediation
- Contaminated sediment transport modelling and treatment
- Environmental impact of Oil&Gas/Geothermal/industrial plants
- Air pollution
- Waste treatment and management.
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
European Community - H2020 programme
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
Articles In Journals
- Liu Y, Jiang Y & Bortone I (2022) A scheme for anaerobic digestion modelling and ADM1 model calibration, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 96 433-438.
- Jumbo RB, Coulon F, Cowley T, Azuazu I, Atai E, Bortone I & Jiang Y (2022) Evaluating different soil amendments as bioremediation strategy for wetland soil contaminated by crude oil, Sustainability, 14 (24) Article No. 16568.
- Labianca C, De Gisi S, Todaro F, Notarnicola M & Bortone I (2022) A review of the in-situ capping amendments and modeling approaches for the remediation of contaminated marine sediments, Science of the Total Environment, 806, Part 3 (February) Article No. 151257.
- Bortone I, Sakar H & Soares A (2022) Gaps in regulation and policies on the application of green technologies at household level in the United Kingdom, Sustainability, 14 (7) Article No. 4030.
- Bortone I, Santonastaso G, Erto A, Chianese S, Di Nardo A & Musmarra D (2021) An innovative in-situ DRAINage system for advanced groundwater reactive TREATment (in-DRAIN-TREAT), Chemosphere, 270 (May) Article No. 129412.
- Raza T, Qureshi KN, Imran S, Eash NS & Bortone I (2021) Associated health risks from heavy metal-laden effluent into point drainage channels in Faisalabad, Pakistan, Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Research, 34 (3) 487-494.
- Bortone I, Erto A, Di Nardo A, Santonastaso GF, Chianese S & Musmarra D (2020) Pump-and-treat configurations with vertical and horizontal wells to remediate an aquifer contaminated by hexavalent chromium, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 235 (November) Article No. 103725.
- Bortone I, Labianca C, Todaro F, De Gisi S, Coulon F & Notarnicola M (2020) Experimental investigations and numerical modelling of in-situ reactive caps for PAH contaminated marine sediments, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 387 (April) Article No. 121724.
- Di Nardo A, Bortone I, Chianese S, Di Natale M, Erto A, Santonastaso G & Musmarra D (2019) Odorous emission reduction from a waste landfill with an optimal protection system based on fuzzy logic, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 26 (15) 14755-14765.
- Bortone I, Chianese S, Erto A, Di Nardo A, De Crescenzo C, Karatza D, Santonastaso GF & Musmarra D (2019) An optimized configuration of adsorptive wells for the remediation of an aquifer contaminated by multiple aromatic hydrocarbon pollutants, Science of the Total Environment, 696 (December) Article No. 133731.
- Nnabalu CR, Falcone G & Bortone I (2019) The role of fluid catalytic cracking in process optimisation for petroleum refineries, International Journal of Chemical and Molecular Engineering, 13 (7) 370-376.
- Santonastaso GF, Erto A, Bortone I, Chianese S, Di Nardo A & Musmarra D (2018) Experimental and simulation study of the restoration of a thallium (I)-contaminated aquifer by Permeable Adsorptive Barriers (PABs), Science of the Total Environment, 630 (July) 62-71.
- Bortone I, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2018) Predicting the effects of capping contaminated sediments via numerical simulations, Desalination and Water Treatment, 133 (November) 327-335.
- Santonastaso GF, Bortone I, Chianese S, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M, Erto A, Karatza D & Musmarra D (2018) Discontinuous Permeable Adsorptive Barrier design and cost analysis: a methodological approach to optimisation, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25 (27) 26793-26800.
- Santonastaso GF, Bortone I, Chianese S, Erto A, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2016) Application of a discontinuous permeable adsorptive barrier for aquifer remediation. A comparison with a continuous adsorptive barrier., Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (48-49) 23372-23381.
- Bortone I, Erto A, Santonastaso GF, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2015) Design of Permeable Adsorptive Barriers (PABs) for groundwater remediation by COMSOL multi-physics simulations., Desalination and Water Treatment, 55 (12) 3231-3240.
- Bortone I, Chianese S, Erto A, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M, Santonastaso GF & Musmarra D (2015) Risk analysis for a contaminated site in north of Naples (Italy), Chemical engineering transactions, 43 (May) 1927-1932.
- Erto A, Bortone I, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2014) Permeable Adsorptive Barrier (PAB) for the remediation of groundwater simultaneously contaminated by some chlorinated organic compounds., Journal of Environmental Management, 140 (July) 111-119.
- Go J, Bortone I, Smalley C & Muggeridge A (2014) Predicting vertical flow barriers using tracer diffusion in partially saturated, layered porous media, Transport in Porous Media, 105 (2) 255-276.
- Bortone I, Erto A, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M, Santonastaso G & Musmarra D (2014) Design of permeable adsorbing barriers for groundwater protection: Optimization of the intervention, Chemical engineering transactions, 36 (April) 547-552.
- Di Nardo A, Bortone I, Di Natale M, Erto A & Musmarra D (2014) A heuristic procedure to optimize the design of a permeable reactive barrier for in situ groundwater remediation, Adsorption Science and Technology, 32 (2-3) 125-140.
- Santonastaso GF, Bortone I, Chianese S, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2014) A Smart Fuzzy System applied to reduce odor production from a waste landfill, Chemical engineering transactions, 40 (September) 25-30.
- Bortone I, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M, Erto A & Musmarra D (2013) Permeable adsorbing barrier for groundwater protection from single-compounds and multicomponent contamination by chlorinated organic compounds, Chemical engineering transactions, 35 (November) 709-714.
- Bortone I, Chianes S, Di Nardo, A, Di Natale M, Erto A & Musmarra D (2013) A comparison between pump & treat technique and permeable reactive barriers for the remediation of groundwater contaminated by chlorinated organic compounds, Chemical engineering transactions, 32 31-36.
- Bortone I, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M, Erto A, Musmarra D & Santonastaso GF (2013) Remediation of an aquifer polluted with dissolved tetrachloroethylene by an array of wells filled with activated carbon., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 260 (September) 914-920.
- Bortone I, Carrillo S, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2012) Mitigation of the odorous impact of a waste landfill located in a highly urbanized area, Chemical engineering transactions, 28 229-234.
- Erto A, Lancia A, Bortone I, Di Nardo A, Di Natale M & Musmarra D (2011) A procedure to design a Permeable Adsorptive Barrier (PAB) for contaminated groundwater remediation, Journal of Environmental Management, 92 (1) 23-30.
- Di Nardo, Di Natale M, Erto A, Musmarra D & Bortone I (2010) Permeable reactive barrier for groundwater PCE remediation: The case study of a solid waste landfill pollution, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 28 1015-1020.
- Bortone I, Coulon F, Fawcett-Hirst W, Ladyman M & Temple T (2019) Scientific principles of environmental management. In: Global Approaches to Environmental Management on Military Training Ranges, IOP Publishing, p. 1-1-1-25.
- Bortone I, Chianese S, Di Nardo A, Erto E & Musmarra D (2013) Groundwater protection by permeable adsorbing barriers at solid waste landfills.. In: Landfills: Waste Management, Regional Practices and Environmental Impact. Dataset/s: 2-s2.0-84895285138