Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Energy and the Environment
- Energy Policy & Regulation
- Environment and Health
- Environmental Impacts
- Monitoring & Environmental Informatics
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
Dr Gillian Drew was appointed Lecturer in Environmental Management at Cranfield's Centre for Bioenergy and Resource Management in October 2007.
Prior to that, Gill was the Environment Agency's postdoctoral research fellow in amenity impacts of waste management, based at Cranfield. Gill has a BSc in Geography and Geology from Rhodes University, South Africa (1998), and a BSc (Hons) in Environmental and Geographical Science from the University of Cape Town (1999). Her PhD on the modelling the spatial impacts of climate change on vegetation was completed in 2004 within the same department at Cape Town. Gill was the course tutor for the MSc in Environmental Management for Business from 2007 to 2012.
Gill has a track-record of leading waste and environmental management research for clients including the Environment Agency, Defra, NERC, SEPA, SNIFFER and SITA. Her research established the first detailed database on bioaerosol impacts from composting facilities and advanced source terms for the atmospheric modelling of bioaerosol dispersion. Gill was on the steering committee for the AfOR (2009) protocol on bioaerosols monitoring and managed the Defra project that analysed adaptation reports submitted under the first round of the Adapting to Climate Change Reporting Power. Gill also developed and managed a series of training workshops for Environment Agency staff and managed a Daphne Jackson Fellow's (Dr Reyna Al-Ashaab) research, funded by NERC. As the Programme Director for the Energy MSc Programme, Gill is responsible for overseeing and managing the delivery of MSc courses in the Energy and Power Theme. Gill has supervised over 20 MSc and 5 PhD students, and was course tutor for the MSc in Environmental Management for Business from 2007 to 2012.
- Amey Cespa (previously Donarbon Ltd)
- Environment Agency
- SITA UK
Articles In Journals
- Jude SR, Drew GH, Pollard SJT, Rocks SA, Jenkinson K & Lamb R (2017) Delivering organisational adaptation through legislative mechanisms: Evidence from the Adaptation Reporting Power (Climate Change Act 2008), Science of the Total Environment, 574 (January) 858-871.
- Douglas P, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Whelan M, Longhurst PJ, Hansell AL, Walsh K, Pollard SJT & Drew GH (2017) Predicting Aspergillus fumigatus exposure from composting facilities using a dispersion model: a conditional calibration and validation, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 20 (1) 17-28.
- Douglas P, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Whelan M, Longhurst PJ, Walsh K, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2016) Sensitivity of predicted bioaerosol exposure from open windrow composting facilities to ADMS dispersion model parameters, Journal of Environmental Management, 184 (2) 448-455.
- Tamer Vestlund A, Al-Ashaab R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2014) Morphological classification of bioaerosols from composting using scanning electron microscopy, Waste Management, 34 (7) 1101-1108.
- Skinner DJC, Rocks SA, Pollard SJT & Drew GH (2014) Identifying uncertainty in environmental risk assessments: the development of a novel typology and Its implications for risk characterisation, Human and Ecological Risk Assessment, 20 (3) 607-640.
- Pankhurst LJ, Whitby C, Pawlett M, Larcombe LD, McKew B, Deacon LJ, Morgan SL, Villa R, Drew GH, Tyrrel S, Pollard SJ & Coulon F (2012) Temporal and spatial changes in the microbial bioaerosol communities in green-waste composting., FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 79 (1) 229-239.
- Stevens PA, Batty W, Longhurst PJ & Drew GH (2012) A critical review of classiﬁcation of organisations in relation to the voluntary implementation of environmental management systems, Journal of Environmental Management, 113 206-212.
- Liu JA, Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Abate W, Hayes ET, Drew GH, Longhurst PJ, Pollard S, Longhurst J, Tyrrel SF & Jackson SK (2011) Evaluation of inflammatory effects of airborne endotoxin emitted from composting sources, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 30 (3) 602-606.
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JW, Pollard SJ & Tyrrel SF (2011) Spatial variations in airborne microorganism and endotoxin concentrations at green waste composting facilities., International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 214 (5) 376-383.
- Velis CA, Longhurst PJ, Drew GH, Smith R & Pollard SJT (2010) Production and quality assurance of solid recovered fuels using Mechanical-Biological Treatment (MBT) of waste: a comprehensive assessment, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 40 (12) 979-1105.
- Encinas-Oropesa A, Simms NJ, Nicholls JR, Drew GL, Leggett J & Hardy MC (2009) Evaluation of oxidation related damage caused to a gas turbine disc alloy between 700 and 800 degrees C, Materials at High Temperatures, 26 (3) 241-249.
- Deacon L, Pankhurst L, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst J, Longhurst P, Pollard S & Tyrrel S (2009) Endotoxin emissions from commercial composting activities, Environmental Health, 8 (1).
- Deacon LJ, Pankhurst LJ, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Liu J, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Particle size distribution of airborne Aspergillus fumigatus spores emitted from compost using membrane-filtration., Atmospheric Environment, 43 (35) 5698-5701.
- Velis CA, Longhurst PJ, Drew GH, Smith R & Pollard SJT (2009) Biodrying for mechanical-biological treatment of wastes: A review of process science and engineering, Bioresource Technology, 100 (11) 2747-2761.
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Microbial and endotoxin emission from composting facilities: characterisation of release and dispersal patterns (Air Pollution XVII), Wit Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, 123 163-172.
- Drew GH, Jordinson GM, Smith MA & Pollard SJT (2009) Evaluating the quality of bioaerosol risk assessments for composting facilities in England and Wales, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 53 (9) 507-512.
- Taha MPM, Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Aldred D, Longhurst PJ & Pollard SJT (2007) Enumerating actinomycetes in compost bioaerosols at source-Use of soil compost agar to address plate ‘masking', Atmospheric Environment, 41 (22) 4759-4765.
- Taha MPM, Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Hewings G, Jordinson GM, Longhurst PJ & Pollard SJT (2007) Improving bioaerosol exposure assessments of composting facilities - Comparative modelling of emissions from different compost ages and processing activities, Atmospheric Environment, 41 (21) 4504-4519.
- Drew Gillian H, Smith Richard, Gerard Valerie, Burge C, Lowe M, Kinnersley R, Sneath R & Longhurst P J (2007) Appropriateness of selecting different averaging times for modelling chronic and acute exposure to environmental odours, Atmospheric Environment, 41 (13) 2870-2880.
- Macleod C, Duarte-Davidson R, Fisher B, Ng B, Willey D, Shi JP, Martin I, Drew G & Pollard S (2007) Erratum to "Modelling human exposures to air pollution control (APC) residues released from landfills in England and Wales" [Environment International 32 (2006) 500-509] , Environment International, 33 (8).
- Thuiller W, Midgley GF, Hughes GO, Bomhard B, Drew GH, Rutherford MC & Woodward FI (2006) Endemic species and ecosystem sensitivity to climate change in Namibia, Global Change Biology, 12 (5) 759-776.
- Taha MPM, Drew GH, Longhurst PJ, Smith R & Pollard S (2006) Bioaerosol releases from compost facilities: evaluating passive and active source terms at a green waste facility for improved risk assessments, Atmospheric Environment, 40 (6) 1159-1169.
- Macleod C, Duarte-Davidson R, Fisher B, Ng B, Willey D, Shi JP, Martin I, Drew G & Pollard S (2006) Modelling human exposures to air pollution control (APC) residues released from landfills in England and Wales, Environment International, 32 (4) 500-509.
- Encinas-Oropesa A, Drew GL, Hardy MC, Leggett AJ, Nicholls JR & Simms NJ (2008) Effects of oxidation and hot corrosion in a nickel disc alloy. In: Superalloys 2008, Champion, PA, 14 September 2008.
- Encinas-Oropesa A, Simms NJ, Nicholls JR, Drew GL & Leggett J (2008) Evaluation of oxidation related damage caused to a gas turbine disc alloy between 700 and 800oC. In: Microscopy of Oxidation 7, 2008, Chester, 15 September 2008.
- Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Jordinson G, Taha MPM, Smith R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ & Pollard S (2007) Progress towards a best practice method for modelling dispersion of bioaerosols from composting facilities. In: 11th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, 2007 (Sardinia 2007), S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, 1 October 2007.
- Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Hough RL, Chackiath SJ, Broomfield M & Longhurst PJ (2007) Health impact assessment of alternate week waste collections. In: Chartered Institution of Wastes Management Conference and Exhibition, Torbay, 12 June 2007.
- Tamer Vestlund A, Drew GH, Jehlickova B, Stenbro-Olsen P, Sneath R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ, Jordinson G & Pollard S (2007) Bioaerosol and odour emissions: a comparison of three composting sites in Scotland. In: SARDINIA 2007. Eleventh International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, S. Margherita di Pula (Cagliari), Italy, 1 October 2007.
- Drew Gillian H, Tamer Vestlund Asli, Taha M P M, Smith Richard, Longhurst P J, Kinnersley R & Pollard Simon J T (2006) Dispersion of bioaerosols from composting facilities.. In: Waste 2006: Sustainable Waste and Resource Management, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK, 19 September 2006.
- Drew GH, Smith R, Pollard S, Longhurst PJ & Kinnersley R (2005) Amenity impacts of episodic emissions from composting facilities.. In: 10th European Biosolids and Organic Residuals Conference, Wakefield, UK, 13 October 2005.