Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Ayre has 10 years experience of working in industry as a chemist in the nuclear power generation industry, where he worked on operating and commissioning AGR Power Stations
Dr Ayre is a Lecturer in Composites and Polymers in the Enhanced Composites and Structures Centre at Cranfield University. He is the course director for the Advanced Materials MSc and has research interests in polymer and composite toughening, composite manufacturing cost modelling, joining of composite structures, failure of polymeric coatings and recycling of polymeric materials.
Other research interests include mechanical, thermal and visual characterisation of materials.
Articles In Journals
- Li D, Barrington J, James S, Ayre D, Sloma M, Lin M-F & Yazdani Nezhad H (2022) Electromagnetic field controlled domain wall displacement for induced strain tailoring in BaTiO3-epoxy nanocomposite, Scientific Reports, 12 (1) Article No. 7504. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19420049
- Bregar T, An D, Gharavian S, Burda M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Kumar Thakur V, Ayre D, Słoma M, Hardiman M, McCarthy C & Yazdani Nezhad H (2020) Carbon nanotube embedded adhesives for real-time monitoring of adhesion failure in high performance adhesively bonded joints, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 16833. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13006631
- Liu Y, Zhang X, Lemanski S, Yazdani Nezhad H & Ayre D (2019) Experimental and numerical study of process-induced defects and their effect on fatigue debonding in composite joints, International Journal of Fatigue, 125 (August) 47-57.
- Tang S, Lernanski S, Zhang X & Ayre D (2019) Fatigue life prediction of z-fibre pinned composite laminate under mode I loading, Composites Science and Technology, 174 (April) 221-231.
- An D, Lotfian S, Mesbah D, Ayre D, Yoosefinejad A, Thakur VK & Yazdani Nezhad H (2019) Ultra-thin electrospun nanofibers for development of damage-tolerant composite laminates, Materials Today Chemistry, 14 (December) Article No. 100202. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.10058372
- Adu C, Rahatekar S, Filby J, Ayre D & Jolly M (2019) Structural packaging foams prepared by uni-directional freezing of paper sludge cellulose nanofibres and poly (vinyl alcohol), Materials Letters, 253 (October) 242-245.
- Liu Y, Lemanski S, Zhang X, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) A finite element study of fatigue crack propagation in single lap bonded joint with process-induced disbond, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 87 (December) 164-172.
- Joesbury AM, Colegrove PA, Van Rymenant P, Ayre DS, Ganguly S & Williams S (2018) Weld-bonded stainless steel to carbon fibre-reinforced plastic joints, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 251 241-250. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5379748.v1
- Wray LA, Ayre D, Irving PE, Jackson PA, Jones PR & Zhao F (2018) Implications of substrate geometry and coating thickness on the cracking resistance of polymer-based protective coatings, Procedia Structural Integrity, 13 1768-1773.
- Ayre D (2018) Technology advancing polymers and polymer composites towards sustainability: A review, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 13 (October) 108-112.
- Yazdani Nezhad H,Stratakis D, Ayre D, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2018) Mechanical performance of composite bonded joints in the presence of localised process-induced zero-thickness defects, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 91-98.
- Bhanushali R, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2017) Tensile response of adhesively bonded composite-to-composite single-lap joints in the presence of bond deficiency, Procedia CIRP, 59 139-143.
- Wu T, Irving P, Ayre D, Jackson P & Zhao F (2017) Fatigue cracking behaviour of epoxy-based marine coatings on steel substrate under cyclic tension, International Journal of Fatigue, 99, Pt.1 (June) 13-24.
- Wu T, Irving PE, Ayre D, Dell'Anno G, Jackson P & Zhao F (2016) Fracture of epoxy-based marine coatings as free films and substrated coatings under static tension, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 159 (July) 1-15.
- Bucknall CB, Ayre DS & Dijkstra DJ (2000) Detection of rubber particle cavitation in toughened plastics using thermal contraction tests, Polymer, 41 (15) 5937-5947.
- Ayre DS & Bucknall CB (1998) Particle cavitation in rubber toughened PMMA: Experimental testing of the energy-balance criterion, Polymer, 39 (20) 4785-4791.
- Bucknall CB, Ayre DS, Lazzeri A & Dijkstra DJ (1998) The role of rubber particle cavitation in deformation and fracture of toughened plastics, American Chemical Society, Abstracts of Papers, 216 (2).
- Lin CS, Ayre DS & Bucknall CB (1998) Dynamic mechanical technique for detecting rubber particle cavitation in toughened plastics, Journal of Materials Science Letters, 17 (8) 669-671.
- Urbina SR, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Effect of hygrothermal cycles on mechanical performance of composite adhesively bonded joints. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Li D, Prevost R, Ayre D, Yoosefinejad A, Lotfian S, Brennan F & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Development of damage tolerant composite laminates using ultra-thin interlaminar electrospun thermoplastic nanofibres. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Bucknall CB, Ayre DS & Dijkstra DJ (1997) The onset of rubber particle cavitation in toughened plastics: experimental detection and theoretical modelling. In: 10th International Conference on Deformation, Yield and Fracture of Polymers, Cambridge, 7-10 April 1997.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Ayre D, Addepalli P & Zhao Y Performance of aerospace composite bonded joints in the presence of process-induced defects. In: 39th International MATADOR Conference on Advanced Manufacturing, Manchester, 5-7 July 2017.
- Yiding L, Lemanski S, Zhang X, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H Finite element study on the static and fatigue behaviour of wide single lap bonded joints with semi-circular defect. In: ICCS21: 21st International Conference on Composite Structures, Bologna, 4-7 September 2018.