Dr Da Huo is a Lecturer in Energy Systems Intelligence with the Centre for Energy Systems and Strategy at Cranfield University. His research has been focusing on applying optimisation and machine learning algorithms to operate and plan flexible assets, distribution networks, and whole energy systems from the perspectives of network security, cost-effectiveness, reliability, and resilience. Prior to joining Cranfield University, Da was a research associate for a EU H2020 MERLON project at Newcastle University from 2019 to 2021, working on microgrid optimisation. He received the Ph.D. degree from the University of Bath in 2018, focusing on the optimisation of multi-vector energy systems at the community level. He obtained the B.Eng. degrees in electrical and electronic engineering from the University of Bath, and in electrical power engineering from North China Electric Power University, both in 2014.
Dr Da Huo is interested in supervising students with research interests in:
- AI for energy systems
- Whole energy systems (integrated electricity/hydrogen/thermal/transportation systems)
- Energy systems resilience
- Energy systems cybersecurity
Dr Huo is the module leader of “Artificial Intelligence in Energy Systems”, and admission tutor of Advanced Digital Energy Systems MSc course.
Dr Huo is a guest editor of a special issue in Energies, “Emerging Topics in Energy Infrastructure Planning Based on Energy Sharing and Energy Transition”
Management of Disaster Risk and Societal Resilience (MADIS), Co-I, 2020-2023
Prototype Planning Tool for Green Hydrogen Generation and Use in UK Agriculture, Co-I, 2022-2023
Articles In Journals
- Li S, Zhao P, Gu C, Huo D, Li J & Cheng S (2023) Linearizing battery degradation for health-aware vehicle energy management, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 38 (5) 4890-4899.
- Zhao P, Li S, Hu PJH, Cao Z, Gu C, Yan X, Huo D & Hernando-Gil I (2023) Two-stage co-optimization for utility-social systems with social-aware P2P trading, IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems, 10 (4) 1875-1887.
- Li S, Zhao P, Gu C, Li J, Huo D & Cheng S (2023) Aging mitigation for battery energy storage system in electric vehicles, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 14 (3) 2152-2163.
- Li S, Zhao P, Gu C, Huo D, Zeng X, Pei X, Cheng S & Li J (2022) Online battery-protective vehicle to grid behavior management, Energy, 243 (March) Article No. 123083.
- Huo D, Santos M, Sarantakos I, Resch M, Wade N & Greenwood D (2022) A reliability-aware chance-constrained battery sizing method for Island Microgrid, Energy, 251 (July) Article No. 123978.
- Sarantakos I, Zografou-Barredo NM, Huo D & Greenwood D (2021) A reliability-based method to quantify the capacity value of soft open points in distribution networks, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 36 (6) 5032-5043.
- Santos M, Huo D, Wade N, Greenwood D & Sarantakos I (2021) Reliability assessment of island multi‐energy microgrids, Energy Conversion and Economics, 2 (3) 169-182.
- Huo D, Gu C, Greenwood D, Wang Z, Zhao P & Li J (2021) Chance-constrained optimization for integrated local energy systems operation considering correlated wind generation, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 132 (November) Article No. 107153.
- Shen Y, Gu C, Xiang Y, Fu Y, Huo D, Li J & Zhao P (2021) Dynamic service restoration for integrated energy systems under seismic stress, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 13 (1) 527-536.
- Liu J, Chen X, Xiang Y, Huo D & Liu J (2021) Optimal planning and investment benefit analysis of shared energy storage for electricity retailers, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 126 Part A, Article No. 106561.
- Hu S, Xiang Y, Huo D, Jawad S & Liu J (2021) An improved deep belief network based hybrid forecasting method for wind power, Energy, 224 (June) Article No. 120185.
- Zhao P, Gu C, Cao Z, Shen Y, Teng F, Chen X, Wu C, Huo D, Xu X & Li S (2021) Data-driven multi-energy investment and management under earthquakes, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 17 (10) 6939-6950.
- Zhao P, Gu C & Huo D (2020) Coordinated risk mitigation strategy for integrated energy systems under cyber-attacks, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 35 (5) 4014-4025.
- Xiang Y, Meng J, Huo D, Xu L, Mu Y, Gu C, Hou K & Teng F (2020) Reliability-oriented optimal planning of charging stations in electricity–transportation coupled networks, IET Renewable Power Generation, 14 (18) 3690-3698.
- Yang Q, Li J, Cao W, Li S, Lin J, Huo D & He H (2020) An improved vehicle to the grid method with battery longevity management in a microgrid application, Energy, 198 (May) Article No. 117374.
- Zhao P, Gu C, Huo D, Shen Y & Hernando-Gil I (2020) Two-stage distributionally robust optimization for energy hub systems, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 16 (5) 3460-3469.
- Deng R, Xiang Y, Huo D, Liu Y, Huang Y, Huang C & Liu J (2020) Exploring flexibility of electric vehicle aggregators as energy reserve, Electric Power Systems Research, 184 (July) Article No. 106305.
- Huo D, Gu C, Ma K, Wei W, Xiang Y & Le Blond S (2019) Chance-constrained optimization for multienergy hub systems in a smart city, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 66 (2) 1402-1412.
- Huo D, Wei W & Le Blond S (2018) Optimisation for interconnected energy hub system with combined ground source heat pump and borehole thermal storage, Frontiers in Energy, 12 (4) 529-539.
- Huo D, Le Blond S, Gu C, Wei W & Yu D (2018) Optimal operation of interconnected energy hubs by using decomposed hybrid particle swarm and interior-point approach, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 95 (February) 36-46.
- Wei W, Gu C, Huo D, Le Blond S & Yan X (2018) Optimal borehole energy storage charging strategy in a low carbon space heat system, IEEE Access, 6 76176-76186.
- Huo D, Gu C, Yang G & Le Blond S (2017) Combined domestic demand response and energy hub optimisation with renewable generation uncertainty, Energy Procedia, 142 (December) 1985-1990.