Contact Dr Anil Graves
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754294
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Digital Agriculture
- Natural Capital
- Soil Resources
- Sustainable Land Systems
Anil holds a BSc (Hons) in Natural Resources Development (University of East Anglia), an MSc in Land and Water Management (Cranfield) and a PhD in bio-economic evaluation of arable, forestry, and agroforestry systems for Europe (Cranfield).
Prior to joining Cranfield University, Anil initially spent seven years working in southern India on a range of integrated catchment management and reforestation projects for government and non-government agencies. He also researched the hydrological impacts of reforestation, using the calibrated heat pulse method to measure sap flow in trees, and the impact that reforestation had on soil properties. Further research included mapping groundwater abstraction patterns by domestic and agricultural users, as well as assessing coastal saline intrusion patterns in groundwater aquifers.
Anil is currently a Senior Lecturer in Land Use Systems with 20 years of experience in researching land based systems and resources in the UK, Europe and internationally. His research applies biophysical, social, economic, agronomic and ecological methods to assess and value of benefits and trade-offs in land use systems, arising through land use change, and under different future scenarios. This has involved the development of spatially and temporally dynamic biophysical and economic models, integrating market and non-market values, and the application of social science methods. Anil is also involved in field based projects examining the growth, yield, and resource use of novel multi-purpose field crops.
Current research includes an economic and social impact assessment of two novel multi-purpose plants, Sida hermaphrodita and Silphium perfoliatum on the SidaTim project (EU), a financial and economic assessment of the value of wetlands on the WetlandLIFE project (NERC) and an assessment of the food, environment, energy and water nexus in Peru and Ecuador (NERC/CONICYT).
Recent projects have also focussed on the application of valuation within an ecosystem framework. In this respect, Anil has evaluated the trade-offs between arable, livestock, forestry, and agroforestry systems in Europe, the impact of future land use options on peat degradation, food security, and GHG emissions, and the cost of soil degradation in England and Wales. He has also applied social science methods to understanding how biodiversity supports the flow of cultural services from land, evaluate farmer preferences for non-production farm assets and has undertaken stakeholder analysis in relation to UK farmland bird populations.
Some current and recent projects include the following:
- New pathways of intensified biomass production: assessing the potential of Sida Hermaphridita and valuable timber trees (FACCEIP)
- Taking the bite out of wetlands: Managing mosquitoes and the socio-ecological value of wetlands for wellbeing (NERC)
- NEXus Thinking for sustainable Agricultural development in Andean Countries (NEXT-AG) (NERC/CONICYT)
- Regenerative Agriculture: What can we achieve and how can we scale it? (SystemIQ)
- Agroforestry that will advance rural development (EU)
- How does a loss of soil depth impact on the ability of soils to deliver vital ecosystem services (Defra)
- Biodiversity and the Provision of Multiple Ecosystem Services in Current and Future Lowland Multifunctional Landscapes (NERC BESS)
- Matching scales: impact of natural scales on planning and policy decisions (NERC) Ecosystem Interactions (Defra)
- Better evidence for regulatory reform (Defra) Restoration of Fen Peatland under Climate Change (ASC)
- The total cost of soil degradation in England and Wales (Defra)
- FarmingTruth: fusion of satellite and ground based information on soil and crops for optimised crop production (ESA)
- The impact of lowland peatland restoration on food production and security in the UK (Natural England)
- Economic and Environmental Performance of Livestock Systems (Defra)
- Evaluating the options of combining economically, socially and ecologically sustainable agriculture" (RELU).
- Adaptation Sub-Committee (ASC)
- Committee on Climate Change (CCC)
- Commonwealth Human Ecology Council (CHEC)
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
- Department for International Development (DFID)
- Environment Agency (EA)
- European Network for Rural Development (ENRD)
- European Union (EU)
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- German Israeli Fund for Research and International Development (GIFRID)
- Natural England (NE)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Overseas Development Agency (ODA)
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB)
- Scotland and Northern Ireland Forum for Environmental Research (SNIFFER)
- Strichting de Zaaier
- Swiss Federal Research Station for Agroecology and Agriculture (FAL)
- Wasteland Development Board.
Articles In Journals
- Cumplido-Marin L, Burgess PJ, Facciotto G, Coaloa D, Morhart C, Bury M, Paris P, Nahm M & Graves AR (2022) Comparative economics of Sida hermaphrodita (l.) Rusby and Silphium perfoliatum L. as bioenergy crops in Europe, Energy Nexus, 6 (June) Article No. 100084. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.18007136.v2
- Correa-Cano ME, Salmoral G, Rey D, Knox JW, Graves A, Melo O, Foster W, Naranjo L, Zegarra E, Johnson C, Viteri-Salazar O & Yan X (2022) A novel modelling toolkit for unpacking the Water-Energy-Food-Environment (WEFE) nexus of agricultural development, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 159 (May) Article No. 112182.
- Rolo V, Roces-Diaz JV, Torralba M, Kay S, Fagerholm N, Aviron S, Burgess P, Crous-Duran J, Ferreiro-Dominguez N, Graves A, Hartel T, Mantzanas K, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Sidiropoulou A, Szerencsits E, Viaud V, Herzog F, Plieninger T & Moreno G (2021) Mixtures of forest and agroforestry alleviate trade-offs between ecosystem services in European rural landscapes, Ecosystem Services, 50 (August) Article No. 101318.
- Ndubueze-Ogaraku ME & Graves A (2021) Measuring technical efficiency of the smallholder crop farms using stochastic production frontier approach, Asia-Pacific Journal of Rural Development, 31 (2) 234-248.
- Smith J, Westaway S, Mullender S, Giannitsopoulos M & Graves A (2021) Making hedgerows pay their way: the economics of harvesting field boundary hedges for bioenergy, Agroforestry Systems, Available online 17 April 2021.
- Damianidis C, Santiago-Freijanes JJ, den Herder M, Burgess P, Mosquera-Losada MR, Graves A, Papadopoulos A, Pisanelli A, Camilli F, Rois-Díaz M, Kay S, Palma JHN & Pantera A (2021) Agroforestry as a sustainable land use option to reduce wildfires risk in European Mediterranean areas, Agroforestry Systems, 95 (June) 919-929.
- Bullock JM, McCracken ME, Bowes MJ, Chapman RE, Graves AR, Hinsley SA, Hutchins MG, Nowakowski M, Nicholls DJ, Oakley S, Old GH, Ostle NJ, Redhead JW, Woodcock BA, Bedwell T, Mayes S, Robinson VS & Pywell RF (2021) Does agri-environmental management enhance biodiversity and multiple ecosystem services?: A farm-scale experiment, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 320 (October) Article No. 107582.
- Kaske KJ, García de Jalón S, Williams AG & Graves AR (2021) Assessing the impact of greenhouse gas emissions on economic profitability of arable, forestry, and silvoarable systems, Sustainability, 13 (7, April) Article No. 3637.
- Žalac H, Burgess P, Graves A, Giannitsopoulos M, Paponja I, Popović B & Ivezić V (2021) Modelling the yield and profitability of intercropped walnut systems in Croatia, Agroforestry Systems, Available online 24 March 2021.
- Giannitsopoulos ML, Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Crous-Duran J, Moreno G, Herzog F, Palma JHN, Kay S & Garcia de Jalon S (2020) Whole system valuation of arable, agroforestry and tree-only systems at three case study sites in Europe, Journal of Cleaner Production, 269 (October) Article No. 122283. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11871498
- Crous-Duran J, Graves AR, García de Jalón S, Kay S, Tomé M, Burgess PJ, Giannitsopoulos M & Palma JH (2020) Quantifying regulating ecosystem services with increased tree densities on European farmland, Sustainability, 12 (16) Article No. 6676.
- Cumplido-Marin L, Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Morhart C, Paris P, Jablonowski ND, Facciotto G, Bury M, Martens R & Nahm M (2020) Two novel energy crops: Sida hermaphrodita (L.) Rusby and Silphium perfoliatum L. - State of knowledge, Agronomy, 10 (7) Article No. 928.
- Salmoral G, Zegarra E, Vázquez-Rowe I, González F, del Castillo L, Saravia GR, Graves A, Rey D & Knox JW (2020) Water-related challenges in nexus governance for sustainable development: Insights from the city of Arequipa, Peru, Science of the Total Environment, 747 (December) Article No. 141114.
- Crous-Duran J, Graves AR, Paulo JA, Mirck J, Oliveira TS, Kay S, de Jalón SG & Palma JH (2019) Modelling tree density effects on provisioning ecosystem services in Europe, Agroforestry Systems, 93 (5) 1985-2007.
- Fagerholm N, Torralba M, Moreno G, Girardello M, Herzog F, Aviron S, Burgess B, Crous-Duran J, Ferreiro-Domínguez N, Graves A, Hartel T, Măcicăsan V, Kay S, Pantera A, Varga A & Plieninger T (2019) Cross-site analysis of perceived ecosystem service benefits in multifunctional landscapes, Global Environmental Change, 56 (May) 134-147.
- García de Jalón S, Burgess PJ, Curiel-Yuste J, Moreno G, Graves AR, Palma JHN, Crous-Durán J, Kay S & Chiabai A (2019) Dry deposition of air pollutants on trees at regional scale: a case study in the Basque Country, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 278 (November) Article No. 107648.
- Kay S, Graves A, Palma JHN, Moreno G, Roces-Díaz J V, Aviron S, Chouvardas D, Crous-Duran J, Ferreiro-Domínguez N, García de Jalón S, Măcicăşan V, Mosquera-Losada MR, Pantera A, Santiago-Freijanes JJ, Szerencsits E, Torralba M, Burgess PJ & Herzog F (2019) Agroforestry is paying off – Economic evaluation of ecosystem services in European landscapes with and without agroforestry systems, Ecosystem Services, 36 (April) Article No. 100896.
- Cremades R, Mitter H, Tudose NC, Sanchez-Plaza A, Graves A, Broekman A, Bender S, Giupponi C, Koundouri P, Bahri M, Cheval S, Cortekar J, Moreno Y, Melo O, Karner K, Ungurean C, Davidescu SO, Kropf B, Brouwer F & Marin M (2019) Ten principles to integrate the water-energy-land nexus with climate services for co-producing local and regional integrated assessments, Science of the Total Environment, 693 (November) Article No. 133662.
- Kay S, Rega C, Moreno G, den Herder M, Palma JH, Borek R, Crous-Duran J, Freese D, Giannitsopoulos M, Graves A, Jäger M, Lamersdorf N, Memedemin D, Mosquera-Losada R, Pantera A, Paracchini ML, Paris P, Roces-Díaz JV, Rolo V, Rosati A, Sandor M, Smith J, Szerencsits E, Varga A, Viaud V, Wawer R, Burgess PJ & Herzog F (2019) Agroforestry creates carbon sinks whilst enhancing the environment in agricultural landscapes in Europe, Land Use Policy, 83 (April) 581-593.
- Crous-Duran J, Graves AR, Garcia-de-Jalón S, Paulo JA, Tomé M & Palma JH (2019) Assessing food sustainable intensification potential of agroforestry using a carbon balance method, iForest : Biogeosciences and Forestry, 12 (1) 85-91.
- McGinlay J, Parsons DJ, Morris J, Graves A, Hubatova M, Bradbury RB & Bullock JM (2018) Leisure activities and social factors influence the generation of cultural ecosystem service benefits, Ecosystem Services, 31 (Pt. C) 468-480. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.5217337
- Kay S, Crous-Duran J, de Jalón SG, Graves A, Palma JH, Roces-Díaz JV, Szerencsits E, Weibel R & Herzog F (2018) Landscape-scale modelling of agroforestry ecosystems services in Swiss orchards: a methodological approach, Landscape Ecology, 33 (9) 1633-1644.
- de Jalón SG, Graves A, Moreno G, Palma JH, Crous-Durán J, Kay S & Burgess PJ (2018) Forage-SAFE: a model for assessing the impact of tree cover on wood pasture profitability, Ecological Modelling, 372 (March) 24-32.
- Pantera A, Burgess PJ, Mosquera Losada R, Moreno G, López-Díaz ML, Corroyer N, McAdam J, Rosati A, Papadopoulos AM, Graves A, Rigueiro Rodríguez A, Ferreiro-Domínguez N, Fernandez Lorenzo JL, Gonzalez-Hernandez MP, Papanastasis VP, Mantzanas K, Van Lerberghe P & Malignier N (2018) Agroforestry for high value tree systems in Europe, Agroforestry Systems, 92 (4) 945-959.
- Palma JHN, Crous-Duran J, Graves AR, Garcia de Jalon S, Upson M, Oliveira TS, Paulo JA, Ferreiro-Domínguez N, Moreno G & Burgess PJ (2018) Integrating belowground carbon dynamics into Yield-SAFE, a parameter sparse agroforestry model, Agroforestry Systems, 92 (4) 1047-1057.
- García de Jalón S, Burgess PJ, Graves A, Moreno G, McAdam J, Pottier E, Novak S, Bondesan V, Mosquera-Losada R, Crous-Durán J, Palma JHN, Paulo JA, Oliveira TS, Cirou E, Hannachi Y, Pantera A, Wartelle R, Kay S, Malignier N, Van Lerberghe P, Tsonkova P, Mirck J, Rois M, Kongsted AG, Thenail C, Luske B, Berg S, Gosme M & Vityi A (2018) How is agroforestry perceived in Europe? An assessment of positive and negative aspects by stakeholders, Agroforestry Systems, 92 (4) 829-848.
- de Jalón SG, Graves A, Palma JH, Williams A, Upson M & Burgess PJ (2018) Modelling and valuing the environmental impacts of arable, forestry and agroforestry systems: a case study, Agroforestry Systems, 92 (4) 1059-1073.
- Rois-Díaz M, Lovric N, Lovric M, Ferreiro-Domínguez N, Mosquera-Losada M, Den Herder M, Graves A, Palma J, Paulo J, Pisanelli A, Smith J, Moreno G, García S, Varga A, Pantera A, Mirck J & Burgess P (2018) Farmers’ reasoning behind the uptake of agroforestry practices: evidence from multiple case-studies across Europe, Agroforestry Systems, 92 (4) 811-828.
- Ridding LE, Redhead JW, Oliver TH, Schmucki R, McGinlay J, Graves AR, Morris J, Bradbury RB, King H & Bullock JM (2018) The importance of landscape characteristics for the delivery of cultural ecosystem services, Journal of Environmental Management, 206 (January) 1145-1154.
- Kay S, Crous-Duran J, Ferreiro-Domínguez N, de Jalón SG, Graves A, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JH, Roces-Díaz JV, Santiago-Freijanes JJ, Szerencsits E, Weibel R & Herzog F (2018) Spatial similarities between European agroforestry systems and ecosystem services at the landscape scale, Agroforestry Systems, 92 (4) 1075-1089.
- McGinlay J, Parsons DJ, Morris J, Hubatova M, Graves A, Bradbury RB & Bullock JM (2017) Do charismatic species groups generate more cultural ecosystem service benefits?, Ecosystem Services, 27, Part A (October) 15-24. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5217337
- King H, Morris J, Graves A, Bradbury R, McGinlay J & Bullock J (2017) Biodiversity and cultural ecosystem benefits in lowland landscapes in southern England, Journal of Environmental Psychology, 53 (November) 185-197.
- Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Liagre F & Dupraz C (2017) Farmer perception of benefits, constraints and opportunities for silvoarable systems: preliminary insights from Bedfordshire, England, Outlook On Agriculture, 46 (1) 74-83.
- Rickson RJ, Deeks LK, Graves A, Harris JAH, Kibblewhite MG & Sakrabani R (2015) Input constraints to food production: the impact of soil degradation, Food Security, 7 (2) 351-364.
- Chatterton J, Graves A, Audsley E, Morris J & Williams A (2015) Using systems-based life cycle assessment to investigate the environmental and economic impacts and benefits of the livestock sector in the UK, Journal of Cleaner Production, 86 (January) 1-8.
- Graves A, Morris J, Deeks L, Rickson RJ, Kibblewhite M, Harris J, Farewell T & Truckle I. (2015) The total costs of soil degradation in England and Wales, Ecological Economics, 119 (November) 399-413.
- Sereke F, Graves AR, Dux D, Palma JHN & Herzog F (2015) Innovative agroecosystem goods and services: key profitability drivers in Swiss agroforestry, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 35 (2) 759-770.
- Kibblewhite MG, Bellamy PH, Brewer TR, Graves AR, Dawson CA, Rickson RJ, Truckell I & Stuart J (2014) An exploration of spatial risk assessment for soil protection: Estimating risk and establishing priority areas for soil protection, Science of the Total Environment, 473-474 (March) 692-701.
- Morhart CD, Douglas GC, Dupraz C, Graves AR, Nahm M, Paris P, Sauter UH, Sheppard J & Spiecker H (2014) Alley coppice-a new system with ancient roots, Annals of Forest Science, 71 (5) 527-542.
- Talbot G, Roux S, Graves AR, Dupraz C, Marrou H & Wery J (2014) Relative yield decomposition: a method for understanding the behaviour of complex crop models, Environmental Modelling & Software, 51 136-148.
- Kulak M, Graves A & Chatterton J (2013) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions with urban agriculture: A Life Cycle Assessment perspective, Landscape and Urban Planning, 111 68-78.
- Coleby AM, van der Horst D, Hubacek K, Goodier C, Burgess PJ, Graves A, Lord R & Howard D (2012) Environmental Impact Assessment, ecosystems services and the case of energy crops in England, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 55 (3) 369-385.
- Hanley N, Acs S, Dallimer M, Gaston KJ, Graves A, Morris J & Armsworth PR (2012) Farm-scale ecological and economic impacts of agricultural change in the uplands, Land Use Policy, 29 (3) 587-597.
- Keesman KJ, Graves A, van der Werf W, Burgess PJ, Palma J, Dupraz C & van Keulen H (2011) A system identification approach for developing and parameterising an agroforestry system model under constrained availability of data, Environmental Modelling & Software, 26 (12) 1540-1553.
- Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Liagre F, Terreaux J-P, Borrel T, Dupraz C, Palma J & Herzog F (2011) Farm-SAFE: The process of developing a plot- and farm-scale model of arable, forestry, and silvoarable economics, Agroforestry Systems, 81 (2) 93-108.
- Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Palma J, Keesman KJ, van der Werf W, Dupraz C, van Keulen H, Herzog F & Mayus M (2010) Implementation and calibration of the parameter-sparse Yield-SAFE model to predict production and land equivalent ratio in mixed tree and crop systems under two contrasting production situations in Europe, Ecological Modelling, 221 (13-14) 1744-1756.
- van der Hilst F, Dornburg V, Sanders JPM, Elbersen B, Graves A, Turkenburg WC, Elbersen HW, van Dam JMC & Faaij APC (2010) Potential, spatial distribution and economic performance of regional biomass chains: The North of the Netherlands as example, Agricultural Systems, 103 (7) 403-417.
- Morris J, Graves A, Daccache A, Hess & Knox J (2010) Towards a framework for the economic assessment of drought risk - an ecosystems approach, Options méditerranéenes, 95 (A) 139-148.
- Keesman KJ, Graves AR, van der Werf W & Burgess PJ (2009) System identification in production ecology: from theory to agroforestry practice, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 42 (10) 1016-1021.
- Reed MS, Graves AR, Dandy N, Posthumus H, Hubacek K, Morris J, Prell C, Quinn CH & Stringer L (2009) Who's in and why? A typology of stakeholder analysis methods for natural resource management, Journal of Environmental Management, 90 (5) 1933-1949.
- Cooke IR, Queenborough SA, Mattison EHA, Bailey AP, Sandars DL, Graves AR, Morris J, Trawick P, Freckleton RP, Watkinson AR & Sutherland WJ (2009) Integrating socio-economics and ecology: a taxonomy of quantitative methods and a review of their use in agro-ecology, Journal of Applied Ecology, 46 (2) 269-277.
- Palma J H N, Graves AR, Bunce R G H, Burgess Paul J, de Filippi R, Keesman K J, van Keulen H, Liagre F, Mayus M, Moreno G, Reisner Y & Herzog F (2007) Modeling environmental benefits of silvoarable agroforestry in Europe., Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 119 (3-4) 320-334.
- Palma JHN, Graves A, Burgess PJ, Keesman KJ, van Keulen H, Mayus M, Reisner Y & Herzog F (2007) Methodological approach for the assessment of environmental effects of agroforestry at the landscape scale., Ecological Engineering, 29 (4) 450-462.
- Graves Anil R, Burgess Paul J, Palma João H N, Herzog F, Moreno G, Bertomeu M, Dupraz Christian, Liagre F, Keesman Karel, van der Werf Wopke, Koeffeman de Nooy A & van den Briel J P (2007) Development and application of bio-economic modelling to compare silvoarable, arable, and forestry systems in three European countries., Ecological Engineering, 29 (4) 434-449.
- Palma J, Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Van Der Werf W & Herzog F (2007) Integrating environmental and economic performance criteria to assess modern silvoarable agroforestry in Europe., Ecological Economics, 63 (4) 759-767.
- van der Werf Wopke, Keesman Karel, Burgess Paul J, Graves Anil R, Pilbeam David, Incoll L D, Metselaar Klaas, Mayus Martina, Stappers Roel, van Keulen Herman & Palma João H N (2007) Yield-SAFE: A parameter-sparse, process-based dynamic model for predicting resource capture, growth, and production in agroforestry systems., Ecological Engineering, 29 (4) 419-433.
- Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Liagre F, Terreaux JP & Dupraz C (2005) Development and use of a framework for characterising computer models of silvoarable economics., Agroforestry Systems, 65 (1) 53-65.
- Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Liagre F, Terreaux J-P & Dupraz C (2005) Erratum: Development and use of a framework for characterising computer models of silvoarable economics, Agroforestry Systems, 65 (3) 253-253.
- Graves AR, Matthews RB & Waldie K (2004) Low external input technologies for livelihood improvement in subsistence agriculture., Advances in Agronomy, 82 473-555.
- Graves AR, Hess TM, Matthews RB, Stephens W & Middleton T (2002) Crop simulation models as tools in computer laboratory and classroom-based education, Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 31 48-54.
- Graves AR, Hess TM, Matthews RB, Stephens W & Mason T (2002) Crop simulation models as tools in education., Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 31 48-54.
- Matthews RB, Stephens W, Hess TM, Middleton T & Graves AR (2002) Applications of crop/soil simulation models in tropical agricultural systems, Advances in Agronomy, 76 31-124.
- Graves AR, Gev I & Berlinner P (1997) Transpiration in two common tree species in Auroville, Tamil Nadu, India, using the calibrated heat pulse method to measure sap flux., Current Science, 72 (3) 196-201.
- Cooke IR, Mattison EHA, Audsley E, Bailey AP, Freckleton RP, Graves AR, Morris J, Queenborough SA, Sandars DL, Trawick P, Watkinson AR & Sutherland WJ Including multiple farmer preferences improves model predictions of arable landscapes, Agricultural Systems.
- Burgess P, Moreno G, Pantera A, Kanzler M, Hermansen J, Van Lerberghe P, Balaguer F, Girardin N, Rosati A, Graves A, Watté J, Mosquera-Losada MR, Waldie K, Pagella T & Liagre F (2018) Creating agroforestry innovation and best practice leaflets. In: 4th European Agroforestry Conference (EURAF) - Agroforestry as Sustainable Land Use, Nijmegen, 28-30 May 2018.
- Facciotto G, Bury M, Chiocchini F, Marín LC, Czyż H, Graves A, Kitczak T, Martens R, Morhart C, Paris P & Nahm M (2018) Performance of Sida hermaphrodita and silphium perfoliatum in Europe: Preliminary results. In: 26th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition (EUBCE), 2018, Copenhagen, 14-18 May 2018.
- García de Jalón SP, Graves A, Moreno G, Palma JH, Crous-Duran J, Oliveira T & Burgess PJ (2017) Forage-SAFE: a tool to assess the management and economics of wood pasture systems. In: 15th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, 2017, Rhodes, 31 August - 2 September 2017.
- Burgess P, Graves A & Garcia De Jalon S (2016) Complexity and agroforestry: ways to embrace the challenge. In: Third European Agroforestry Conference, Montpellier, 23-25 May 2016.
- Palma JHN, Graves AR, Burgess PJ, van der Werf W & Herzog F (2009) Silvoarable agroforestry in Europe - systems for meeting food and industry crop requirements with improved resource-use efficiency. In: International Conference on Integrated Assessment of Agriculture and Sustainable Development (AgSAP), Egmond ann Zee, The Netherlands, 10 March 2009.
- Palma JHN, Graves AR, Burgess PJ & Herzog F (2007) Silvoarable agroforestry in Europe - a sustainable and higher resource efficiency system for biomass production. In: European Meeting Point: Energy for Development 2007, Bajem, Alentejo, Portugal, 10 October 2007.
- Palma JHN, Graves AR, Burgess PJ, Reisner Y & Herzog F (2005) Environmental and economic performance of agroforestry along a European gradient. In: Sustainable Land Use in Intensively Used Agricultural regions, 2005, Leipzig, 20 September 2005.
- Palma J, Graves AR, Bregt A, Bunce R, Burgess PJ, Garcia M, Herzog F, Mohren G, Moreno G & Reisner Y (2004) Integrating soil erosion and profitability in the assessment of silvoarable agroforestry at the landscape scale.. In: Sixth of the International Farming Systems Association (IFSA) European Symposium on Farming and Rural Systems, Vila Real, Portugal, 4 April 2004.
- Burgess PJ, Graves A, Garcia de Jalon S, Palma JHN, Dupraz C & van Noordwijk M (2019) Modelling Agroforestry Systems. In: Agroforestry for Sustainable Agriculture, Burleigh Dodds, p. 209-238.
- Burgess PJ, den Herder M, Dupraz C, Garnett K, Giannitsopoulos M, Graves AR, Hermansen JE, Kanzler M, Liagre F, Mirck J, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Pantera A & Plieninger T (2018) AGFORWARD Project Final Report. Cranfield: Cranfield University.
- Burgess PJ, den Herder M, Dupraz C, Garnett K, Giannitsopoulos M, Graves AR, Hermansen JE, Kanzler M, Liagre F, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Pantera A & Plieninger T (2018) AGFORWARD Third Periodic Report: July 2016 to December 2017. Cranfield: Cranfield University.
- Burgess PJ, den Herder M, Dupraz C, Garcia de Jalon S, Garnett K, Graves AR, Hermansen JE, Liagre F, Mirck J, Moreno G, Mosquera-Losada MR, Palma JHN, Pantera A & Plieninger T (2016) AGFORWARD Second Periodic Report: January 2015 to June 2016..
- McAdam JH, Burgess PJ, Graves AR, Mosquera-Losada MR & Rigueiro-Rodriguez A (2009) Classifications and functions of agroforestry systems in Europe. In: Agroforestry in Europe: Current Status and Future Prospects. Rigueiro-Rodriguez A, McAdam J, Mosquera-Losada MR (ed.), Springer, p. 21-41.