Contact Dr Alison Parker
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Environment and Health
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Parker completed a four year Masters degree at the University of Oxford in Earth Sciences.This was followed by a PhD at the University of Leeds studying the hydrogeology of the chalk aquifer of East Yorkshire. Dr Parker started as a Research Fellow at Cranfield University in January 2009 and was progressed to Senior Lecturer by October 2019.
Managed aquifer recharge in drylands
Many rural communities in
semi-arid areas experience highly seasonal rainfall which is mostly lost as
run-off. As the dry season progresses their water sources dry up and they have
to travel further to collect water which often has poor water quality.
By retaining water and encouraging aquifer recharge, water sources can
remain sustainable throughout the dry season. Structures are being built by
both local and international non-governmental organisations (NGOs). The use and variety of these structures is
growing as organisations seek to respond to increasingly irregular rainfall,
and regulators are becoming increasingly worried about the impact on water
quality. For example in some states in India it is a requirement to install
managed aquifer recharge structures on any new building, but these are being
implemented without any proper understanding of their impacts on water
resources and groundwater contamination. I research different structures all
over the world, I can share knowledge between different stakeholders globally.
The circular economy for sanitationProviding universal access to sanitation is still a major challenge. The circular economy model uses the nutrient or energy value of waste and is being implemented as a way of shifting the paradigm of waste management to resource production. The circular economy focuses on the whole sanitation chain which includes the provision of toilets, the collection of waste, treatment and transformation into sanitation-derived products. As well as potentially reducing the cost of toilet provision, it also has the potential to enable positive environmental and health impacts, unlike other systems where waste may be discharged untreated into the environment, as wastewater treatment plants are overloaded or faecal sludge is dumped directly into watercourses The implementation of a system level transformation is not simple, considering operator capacity, lack of funding, slowly growing acceptance by local communities, and a policy landscape which can be inconsistent in its support for the circular economy. There is a growing cohort of NGOs and entrepreneurs who are keen to implement circular economy for sanitation models, and I am keen to support their operations through research.
- Royal Society
- Excellent Development
- People in Need
- Bill & Melinda gates Foundation
Articles In Journals
- Hennigs J, Ravndal KT, Parker A, Collins M, Jiang Y, Kolios AJ, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2021) Faeces - Urine separation via settling and displacement: Prototype tests for a novel non-sewered sanitation system, Science of the Total Environment, 753 (January) Article No. 141881.
- Hafizah H, Parker A & Pollard SJ (2020) Whither regulation, risk and water safety plans? Case studies from Malaysia and from England and Wales, Science of the Total Environment, Available online 10 October 2020, Article No. 142868. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13026533
- Hulme AM, Davey CJ, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S, Jiang Y, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2020) Managing power dissipation in closed-loop reverse electrodialysis to maximise energy recovery during thermal-to-electric conversion, Desalination, 496 (December) Article No. 114711. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12645842
- Mallory A, Akrofi D, Dizon J, Mohanty S, Parker A, Rey Vicario D, Prasad S, Welvita I, Brewer T, Mekala S, Bundhoo D, Lynch K, Mishra P, Willcock S & Hutchings P (2020) Evaluating the circular economy for sanitation: findings from a multi-case approach, Science of the Total Environment, 744 (November) Article No. 140871.
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Williams L, Parker A, Jiang Y, Tyrrel S & McAdam EJ (2020) Ultrafiltration pretreatment enhances membrane distillation flux, resilience and permeate quality during water recovery from concentrated blackwater (urine/faeces), Separation and Purification Technology, 253 (December) Article No. 117547. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12752930
- Budge S, Barnett M, Hutchings P, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Hassard F, Garbutt C, Moges M, Woldemedhin F & Jemal M (2020) Risk factors and transmission pathways associated with infant Campylobacter spp. prevalence and malnutrition: A formative study in rural Ethiopia, PLoS ONE, 15 (5) Article No. e0232541. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9907385
- Elledge M, Parker A, Toolaram A & Stoner B (2020) A gender lens into sanitation technology innovation, Journal of Management in Engineering, 36 (4) Article No. 06020002.
- Somorin T, Fidalgo B, Hassan S, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal drying kinetics of human feces, Drying Technology, Available online 01 October (14).
- Hennigs J, Parker A, Collins M, Jiang Y, Kolios A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2019) Planning and communicating prototype tests for the Nano Membrane Toilet: A critical review and proposed strategy, Gates Open Research, 3 Article No. 1532.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Azzini D, Eusebi AL, Tierney R, Williams L, Jiang Y, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Hybrid membrane distillation reverse electrodialysis configuration for water and energy recovery from human urine: an opportunity for off-grid decentralised sanitation, Journal of Membrane Science, 584 (August) 343-352. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8131562.v1
- Hennigs J, Ravndal KT, Blose T, Toolaram A, Sindall RC, Barrington D, Collins M, Engineer B, Kolios AJ, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2019) Field testing of a prototype mechanical dry toilet flush, Science of the Total Environment, 668 (June) 419-431.
- Quinn R, Rushton K & Parker A (2019) An examination of the hydrological system of a sand dam during the dry season leading to water balances, Journal of Hydrology X, 4 (July) Article No. 100035. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8409491
- Moya B, Parker A & Sakrabani R (2019) Challenges to the use of fertilisers derived from human excreta: The case of vegetable exports from Kenya to Europe and influence of certification systems, Food Policy, 85 (May) 72-78.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 5 (1) 161-171.
- Budge S, Hutchings P, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Tulu T, Gizaw M & Garbutt C (2019) Do domestic animals contribute to bacterial contamination of infant transmission pathways? Formative evidence from Ethiopia, Journal of Water and Health, 17 (5) 655-669.
- Clemenz N, Boakye R & Parker A (2019) Rapid Climate Adaption Assessment (RCAA) of water supply and sanitation services in two coastal urban poor communities in Accra, Ghana, Journal of Water and Climate Change, Available online 16 December 2019.
- Cooper S, Hutchings P, Butterworth J, Joseph S, Kebede A, Parker A, Terefe B & Van Koppen B (2019) Environmental associated emotional distress and the dangers of climate change for pastoralist mental health, Global Environmental Change Part B, 59 (November) Article No. 101994. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9332279
- Whitley L, Hutchings P, Cooper S, Parker A, Kebede A, Joseph S, Butterworth J, Van Koppen B & Mulejaa A (2019) A framework for targeting water, sanitation and hygiene interventions in pastoralist populations in the Afar region of Ethiopia, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 222 (8) 1133-1144. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9332279
- Moya B, Sakrabani R & Parker A (2019) Realizing the circular economy for sanitation: assessing enabling conditions and barriers to the commercialization of human excreta derived fertilizer in Haiti and Kenya, Sustainability, 11 (11) Article No. 3154.
- Parker AH, West LJ & Odling NE (2019) Well flow and dilution measurements for characterization of vertical hydraulic conductivity structure of a carbonate aquifer, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, 52 (1) 74-82.
- Budge S, Parker AH, Hutchings PT & Garbutt C (2019) Environmental enteric dysfunction and child stunting, Nutrition Reviews, 77 (4) 240-253.
- Fidalgo B, Chilmeran M, Somorin T, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal thermogravimetric kinetic analysis of the thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Renewable Energy, 132 (March) 1177-1184.
- Quinn R, Parker A & Rushton K (2018) Evaporation from bare soil: Lysimeter experiments in sand dams interpreted using conceptual and numerical models, Journal of Hydrology, 564 (September) 909-915.
- Kolios A, Jiang Y, Somorin T, Sowale A, Anastasopoulou A, Anthony B, Fidalgo Fernandez B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Collins M & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic performance assessment of complex energy process systems – The case of a self-sustained sanitation system, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 (May) 74-85.
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Sakar H, Autin O, Mercer E, Collins M, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2018) Impact of fouling, cleaning and faecal contamination on the separation of water from urine using thermally driven membrane separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (9) 1372-1382.
- Elledge M, Muralidharan A, Parker A, Ravndal K, Siddiqui M, Toolaram A & Woodward K (2018) Menstrual hygiene management and waste disposal in low and middle income countries — a review of the literature, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15 (11) Article No. 2562.
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Sowale A, Kolios A, Fidalgo B, Somorin T, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Thermodynamic analysis of a gamma type Stirling engine in an energy recovery system, Energy Conversion and Management, 165 528-540.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Conceptual environmental impact assessment of a novel self-sustained sanitation system incorporating a Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment approach, Science of the Total Environment, 639 (October) 657-672.
- Quinn R, Avis O, Decker M, Parker A & Cairncross S (2018) An assessment of the microbiological water quality of sand dams in southeastern Kenya, Water (Switzerland), 10 (6) Article No. 708. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6394112
- Somorin T, Kolios A, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2017) Faecal-wood biomass co-combustion and ash composition analysis, Fuel, 203 (September) 781-791.
- Omar YY, Parker A, Smith JA & Pollard SJT (2017) Risk management for drinking water safety in low and middle income countries: cultural influences on water safety plan (WSP) implementation in urban water utilities, Science of the Total Environment, 576 (January) 895-906.
- Wang CY, Mercer E, Kamranvand F, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2017) Tube-side mass transfer for hollow fibre membrane contactors operated in the low Graetz range, Journal of Membrane Science, 523 235-246.
- Moya B, Parker A, Sakrabani R & Mesa B (2017) Evaluating the efficacy of fertilisers derived from human excreta in agriculture and their perception in Antananarivo, Madagascar, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 10 (4) 941-952.
- Mercer E, Parker A, Cartmell E, McAdam E, Tyrrel S, Pidou M, Kolios A, Williams L & Cruddas P (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Nussbaumer D, Sutton I & Parker A (2016) Groundwater data management by water service providers in peri-urban areas of Lusaka, Water (Switzerland), 8 (4) 1-12.
- Taylor S, Asimah SA, Buamah R, Nyarko K, Sekuma SP, Coulibaly YN, Wozuame A, Jeffrey P & Parker AH (2016) Towards sustainable water sanitation and hygiene technology use in water sanitation and hygiene in sub-Saharan Africa: the Learning Alliance approach, Water Policy, 8 (4) 1-17.
- Hutchings P, Parker A & Jeffrey P (2016) The political risks of technological determinism in rural water supply: a case study from Bihar, India, Journal of Rural Studies, 45 (June) 252-259.
- Rose C, Parker A, Jefferson B & Cartmell E (2015) The characterization of feces and urine: a review of the literature to inform advanced treatment technology, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 45 (17) 1827-1879.
- Chakava Y, Franceys R & Parker A (2014) Private boreholes for Nairobi's urban poor: The stop-gap or the solution?, Habitat International, 43 (July) 108-116.
- Moir RS, Parker AH & Bown RT (2014) A simple inverse method for the interpretation of pumped flowing fluid electrical conductivity logs, Water Resources Research, 50 (8) 6466-6478.
- Parker A (2014) Membrane technology plays key role in waterless hygienic toilet, Membrane Technology, 2014 (12) 8-8.
- Elster D, Holman IP, Parker A & Rudge L (2014) An investigation of the basement complex aquifer system in Lofa county, Liberia, for the purpose of siting boreholes, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, 47 (2) 159-167.
- Heile S, Rosenberger S, Parker A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2014) Establishing the suitability of symmetric ultrathin wall polydimethylsiloxane hollow-fibre membrane contactors for enhanced CO2 separation during biogas upgrading, Journal of Membrane Science, 452 37-45.
- Jimenez-Redal R, Parker A & Jeffrey P (2014) Factors influencing the uptake of household water connections in peri-urban Maputo, Mozambique, Utilities Policy, 28 22-27.
- Parker AH, Smith J, Verdemato T, Cooke J, Webster J & Carter RC (2014) Menstrual management: a neglected aspect of hygiene interventions, Disaster Prevention and Management, 23 (4) 437-454.
- Parker A & Summerill C (2013) Water safety plan implementation in East Africa: Motivations and barriers, Waterlines, 32 (2) 113-124.
- Parker A, Cruddas P, Rowe N, Carter R & Webster J (2012) Tank costs for domestic rainwater harvesting in East Africa, Proceedings of the ICE - Water Management, 166 (10) 536-545.
- Heath TT, Parker AH & Weatherhead EK (2012) Testing a rapid climate change adaptation assessment for water and sanitation providers in informal settlements in three cities in sub-Saharan Africa, Environment and Urbanization, 24 (2) 619-637.
- Parker AH, West LJ, Odling NE & Bown RT (2010) A forward modeling approach for interpreting impeller flow logs, Groundwater, 48 (1) 79-91.
- Parker AH, Youlten R, Dillon M, Nussbaumer T, Carter RC, Tyrrel SF & Webster J (2010) An assessment of microbiological water quality of six water source categories in north-east Uganda, Journal of Water and Health, 8 (3) 550-560.
- Carter RC & Parker A (2009) Climate change, population trends and groundwater in Africa, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 54 (4) 676-689.
- Adams RJ, Barrington D, Collins M, Hutchings P, Ihasz O, Kolios A, McAdam E, Moreno M, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Vyakarnam, S & Williams L. (2018) A Scoping Review of Business Model Configurations for Diffusing High-Tech Innovations at the Bottom of the Pyramid. In: BAM2018 Conference, University of the West of England, 4-6 September 2018.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic life cycle assessment of the nano membrane toilet. In: ICWERS 2018: 20th International Conference on Waste-to-Energy Technologies and Sustainability, Rome, 5-6 March 2018.