Contact Dr Alison Parker
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758120
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @alisonhparker
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=93952048&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=JA38&locale=en_US&srchid=939520481380208848243&srchindex=1&srchtotal=71&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId:939520481380208848243,VSRPtargetId:93952048,VSRPc
- Blog: http://www.nanomembranetoilet.org
Areas of expertise
Alison Parker completed a four year Masters degree at the University of Oxford in Earth Sciences.This was followed by a PhD at the University of Leeds studying the hydrogeology of the Chalk aquifer of East Yorkshire.Alison started as a Research Fellow at Cranfield University in January 2009 and was promoted to Academic Fellow in October 2010 and to Lecturer in May 2013.
Alison Parker currently has a large research activity in technologies for urban sanitation. She is leading Cranfield University's response to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's challenge to "Reinvent the Toilet", using novel membrane technology to treat human waste on-site. She is also involved in developing and testing technologies to treat faecal sludge from pit latrines and container toilets including anaerobic digestion and pyrolysis. This involves characterising the waste and optimising its reuse. She is working at both ends of the technology development process - helping to develop a novel technology for EPSRC and in testing "off the shelf" systems for WSUP.
Supporting stakeholders to provide safe water supplies is another research focus through Alison's work in WASHTech project, a European project aiming to help African decision makers decide which water and sanitation technologies to use in their projects and Community Water Plus, an AusAID funded project aiming to understand what support communities in India need to manage their water supplies.
She also has research students working on Water Safety Plans in Malaysia, Nigeria, Jamaica, India and Uganda and on the transition of urban communities between informal supplies and piped systems in Kenya. She is the Course Tutor of the MSc in Community Water and Sanitation.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor
Articles In Journals
- Fidalgo B, Chilmeran M, Somorin T, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal thermogravimetric kinetic analysis of the thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Renewable Energy, 132 (March) 1177-1184.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2018) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, Early online.
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Sakar H, Autin O, Mercer E, Collins M, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2018) Impact of fouling, cleaning and faecal contamination on the separation of water from urine using thermally driven membrane separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (9) 1372-1382.
- Kolios A, Jiang Y, Somorin T, Sowale A, Anastasopoulou A, Anthony B, Fidalgo Fernandez B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Collins M & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic performance assessment of complex energy process systems – The case of a self-sustained sanitation system, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 74-85.
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Sowale A, Kolios A, Fidalgo B, Somorin T, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Thermodynamic analysis of a gamma type Stirling engine in an energy recovery system, Energy Conversion and Management, 165 528-540.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Conceptual environmental impact assessment of a novel self-sustained sanitation system incorporating a Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment approach, Science of the Total Environment, 639 (October) 657-672.
- Quinn R, Avis O, Decker M, Parker A & Cairncross S (2018) An assessment of the microbiological water quality of sand dams in southeastern Kenya, Water (Switzerland), 10 (6) Article No. 708. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6394112
- Quinn R, Parker A & Rushton K (2018) Evaporation from bare soil: Lysimeter experiments in sand dams interpreted using conceptual and numerical models, Journal of Hydrology, 564 (September) 909-915.
- Omar YY, Parker A, Smith JA & Pollard SJT (2017) Risk management for drinking water safety in low and middle income countries: cultural influences on water safety plan (WSP) implementation in urban water utilities, Science of the Total Environment, 576 (January) 895-906.
- Wang CY, Mercer E, Kamranvand F, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2017) Tube-side mass transfer for hollow fibre membrane contactors operated in the low Graetz range, Journal of Membrane Science, 523 235-246.
- Somorin T, Kolios A, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2017) Faecal-wood biomass co-combustion and ash composition analysis, Fuel, 203 781-791.
- Moya B, Parker A, Sakrabani R & Mesa B (2017) Evaluating the efficacy of fertilisers derived from human excreta in agriculture and their perception in Antananarivo, Madagascar, Waste and Biomass Valorization, Early online 1-12.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Nussbaumer D, Sutton I & Parker A (2016) Groundwater data management by water service providers in peri-urban areas of Lusaka, Water (Switzerland), 8 (4) 1-12.
- Taylor S, Asimah SA, Buamah R, Nyarko K, Sekuma SP, Coulibaly YN, Wozuame A, Jeffrey P & Parker AH (2016) Towards sustainable water sanitation and hygiene technology use in water sanitation and hygiene in sub-Saharan Africa: the Learning Alliance approach, Water Policy, 8 (4) 1-17.
- Hutchings P, Parker A & Jeffrey P (2016) The political risks of technological determinism in rural water supply: a case study from Bihar, India, Journal of Rural Studies, 45 (June) 252-259.
- Mercer E, Cruddas P, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Rose C, Parker A, Jefferson B & Cartmell E (2015) The characterization of feces and urine: a review of the literature to inform advanced treatment technology, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 45 (17) 1827-1879.
- Parker A (2014) Membrane technology plays key role in waterless hygienic toilet, Membrane Technology, 2014 (12) 8-8.
- Heile S, Rosenberger S, Parker A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2014) Establishing the suitability of symmetric ultrathin wall polydimethylsiloxane hollow-fibre membrane contactors for enhanced CO2 separation during biogas upgrading, Journal of Membrane Science, 452 37-45.
- Elster D, Holman IP, Parker A & Rudge L (2014) An investigation of the basement complex aquifer system in Lofa county, Liberia, for the purpose of siting boreholes, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, 47 (2) 159-167.
- Jimenez-Redal R, Parker A & Jeffrey P (2014) Factors influencing the uptake of household water connections in peri-urban Maputo, Mozambique, Utilities Policy, 28 22-27.
- Chakava Y, Franceys R & Parker A (2014) Private boreholes for Nairobi's urban poor: The stop-gap or the solution?, Habitat International, 43 108-116.
- Parker AH, Smith J, Verdemato T, Cooke J, Webster J & Carter RC (2014) Menstrual management: a neglected aspect of hygiene interventions, Disaster Prevention and Management, 23 (4) 437-454.
- Parker A & Summerill C (2013) Water safety plan implementation in East Africa: Motivations and barriers, Waterlines, 32 (2) 113-124.
- Parker A, Cruddas P, Rowe N, Carter R & Webster J (2012) Tank costs for domestic rainwater harvesting in East Africa, Proceedings of the ICE - Water Management, 166 (10) 536-545.
- Heath TT, Parker AH & Weatherhead EK (2012) Testing a rapid climate change adaptation assessment for water and sanitation providers in informal settlements in three cities in sub-Saharan Africa, Environment and Urbanization, 24 (2) 619-637.
- Parker AH, West LJ, Odling NE & Bown RT (2010) A forward modeling approach for interpreting impeller flow logs, Groundwater, 48 (1) 79-91.
- Parker AH, Youlten R, Dillon M, Nussbaumer T, Carter RC, Tyrrel SF & Webster J (2010) An assessment of microbiological water quality of six water source categories in north-east Uganda, Journal of Water and Health, 8 (3) 550-560.
- Carter RC & Parker A (2009) Climate change, population trends and groundwater in Africa, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 54 (4) 676-689.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic life cycle assessment of the nano membrane toilet. In: ICWERS 2018: 20th International Conference on Waste-to-Energy Technologies and Sustainability, Rome, 5-6 March 2018.