Contact Dr Abdou Khouakhi
Abdou obtained a PhD in coastal hazards and coastal vulnerability. His PhD integrated various remote sensing data and GIS modelling to assess coastal erosion and flood risk and worked with stakeholders to develop measurable coastal sustainability indicators. He then worked as a Postdoctoral research scholar at the IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, The University of Iowa, the USA where he worked on extremes in weather and climate such as extreme sea level/rainfall, temperature, tropical storms and their connection to climate harnessing data science approach and analytics. Before joining Cranfield in 2020, Abdou worked also as a research associate at Loughborough University, UK where he contributed to an EPSRC project on developing a real-time monitoring and early warning system for urban floods and water level monitoring, using a bespoke network of wireless water sensors combined with machine learning.
Dr Abdou Khouakhi is a Lecturer in Remote sensing at the Cranfield Environment Centre, School of Water, Energy, and Environment. Abdou's research interests include extreme weather/climate, flood risk, and coastal hazards. More broadly, Abdou has a keen interest in the application of Geospatial Data Science, Earth Observation, and Machine Learning to better understand extreme weather and climate related-events and how their combination contributes to societal and environmental risk.
I welcome discussions with researchers who may wish to collaborate to develop research proposals. I also welcome enquiries from prospective PhD and MSc students.
Articles In Journals
- Malainine CE, Raji O, Ouabid M, Khouakhi A, Bodinier JL, Laamrani A, El Messbahi H, Youbi N & Boumehdi MA (2022) An integrated ASTER-based approach for mapping carbonatite and iron oxide-apatite deposits, Geocarto International, 37 (22) 6579-6601.
- Rincón-Avalos P, Khouakhi A, Mendoza-Cano O, Cruz JL & Paredes-Bonilla KM (2022) Evaluation of satellite precipitation products over Mexico using Google Earth Engine, Journal of Hydroinformatics, 24 (4) 711-729.
- Khouakhi A, Driouech F, Slater L, Waine T, Chafki O, Chehbouni A & Raji O (2022) Atmospheric rivers and associated extreme rainfall over Morocco, International Journal of Climatology, Available online 13 May 2022.
- Khouakhi A, Zawadzka J & Truckell I (2022) The need for training and benchmark datasets for convolutional neural networks in flood applications, Hydrology Research, 53 (6) 795-806.
- Driouech F, Stafi H, Khouakhi A, Moutia S, Badi W, ElRhaz K & Chehbouni A (2021) Recent observed country‐wide climate trends in Morocco, International Journal of Climatology, 41 (January) E855-E874.
- Zawadzka J, Truckell I, Khouakhi A & Rivas Casado M (2021) Detection of flood damage in urban residential areas using object-oriented UAV image analysis coupled with tree-based classifiers, Remote Sensing, 13 (19) Article No. 3913.
- Zhang W, Luo M, Gao S, Chen W, Hari V & Khouakhi A (2021) Compound hydrometeorological extremes: drivers, mechanisms and methods, Frontiers in Earth Science, 9 Article No. 673495.
- Mendoza-Cano O, Aquino-Santos R, López-de la Cruz J, Edwards RM, Khouakhi A, Pattison I, Rangel-Licea V, Castellanos E, Martinez-Preciado MA, Rincón-Avalos P, Lepper P, Gutiérrez-Gómez A, Uribe-Ramos JM, Ibarreche J & Pérez I (2021) Experiments of an IoT-based wireless sensor network for flood monitoring in Colima, Mexico, Journal of Hydroinformatics, 23 (3) 385-401.
- Mendoza-Cano O, Rincón-Avalos P, Watson V, Khouakhi A, Cruz JL, Ruiz-Montero AP, Nava-Garibaldi CM, Lopez-Rojas M & Murillo-Zamora E (2021) The burden of dengue in children by calculating spatial temperature: a methodological approach using remote sensing techniques, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (8) Article No. 4230.
- Slater L, Villarini G, Archfield S, Faulkner D, Lamb R, Khouakhi A & Yin J (2021) Global changes in 20‐year, 50‐year, and 100‐year river floods, Geophysical Research Letters, 48 (6) Article No. e2020GL091824.
- Slater LJ, Khouakhi A & Wilby RL (2019) River channel conveyance capacity adjusts to modes of climate variability, Scientific Reports, 9 (1) Article No. 12619.
- Khouakhi A, Villarini G, Zhang W & Slater LJ (2019) Seasonal predictability of high sea level frequency using ENSO patterns along the U.S. West Coast, Advances in Water Resources, 131 (September) Article No. 103377.
- Slater LJ, Thirel G, Harrigan S, Delaigue O, Hurley A, Khouakhi A, Prosdocimi I, Vitolo C & Smith K (2019) Using R in hydrology: a review of recent developments and future directions, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 23 (7) 2939-2963.
- Khouakhi A, Pattison I, la Cruz JL, Teresa M, Mendoza-Cano O & Martinez M (2019) Tropical cyclone—Induced heavy rainfall and flow in Colima, Western Mexico, International Journal of Climatology, Available online 28 November 2019 (6).
- Khouakhi A & Villarini G (2017) Attribution of annual maximum sea levels to tropical cyclones at the global scale, International Journal of Climatology, 37 (1) 540-547.
- Khouakhi A, Villarini G & Vecchi GA (2017) Contribution of tropical cyclones to rainfall at the global scale, Journal of Climate, 30 (1) 359-372.
- Villarini G, Khouakhi A & Cunningham E (2017) On the impacts of computing daily temperatures as the average of the daily minimum and maximum temperatures, Atmospheric Research, 198 (December) 145-150.
- Khouakhi A & Villarini G (2016) On the relationship between atmospheric rivers and high sea water levels along the U.S. West Coast, Geophysical Research Letters, 43 (16) 8815-8822.
- Khouakhi A, Snoussi M, Niazi S & Raji O (2013) Vulnerability assessment of Al Hoceima bay (Moroccan Mediterranean coast): A coastal management tool to reduce potential impacts of sea-level rise and storm surges, Journal of Coastal Research, 65 968-973.
- Raji O, Niazi S, Snoussi M, Dezileau L & Khouakhi A (2013) Vulnerability assessment of a lagoon to sea level rise and storm events: Nador lagoon (NE Morocco), Journal of Coastal Research, 65 802-807.
- Snoussi M, Ouchani T, Khouakhi A & Niang-Diop I (2009) Impacts of sea-level rise on the Moroccan coastal zone: Quantifying coastal erosion and flooding in the Tangier Bay, Geomorphology, 107 (1-2) 32-40.
- Khouakhi A, Driouech F, Slater L, Waine T, Chafki O & Raji O (2021) Extreme weather associated with atmospheric rivers over Morocco. In: EGU General Assembly, 2021, Virtual Event, 19-30 April 2021.
- Malainine CE, Raji O, Ouabid M, Khouakhi A, Bodinier J-L, Para F & El Messbahi H (2021) Geological mapping of carbonatites and related ores from the Oulad Dlim massif (Dakhla Province, Morocco) using remote sensing, portable X-ray fluorescence, and mineralogical data. In: EGU General Assembly, 2021, Virtual Event, 19-30 April 2021.
- Rivas Casado M, Muthusamy M, Khouakhi A & Leinster P (2021) Emerging remote sensing technologies for flood applications. In: Earth Observation for Flood Application Progress and Perspectives, Elsevier.
- Snoussi M, Niazi S, Khouakhi A & Raji O (2011) Climate change and sea-level rise: A GIS-Based vulnerability and impact assessment, the case of the moroccan coast. In: Geomatic Solutions for Coastal Environments, Elsevier, p. 275-310.