Contact Dr Abdou Khouakhi
obtained a PhD in coastal hazards (coastal vulnerability) from the Faculty of Sciences Rabat, Morocco and then worked as a
Postdoctoral research scholar at the IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, The University of Iowa, USA. There, he worked on various projects related to extremes in
weather and climate such as extreme sea level/rainfall and their
connection to climate. In 2017, Abdou joined
Loughborough University, UK as a Research Associate in an EPSRC funded
project on developing a real-time monitoring and early warning
system for urban floods, using a bespoke network of wireless water sensors
combined with machine learning.
Dr Abdou Khouakhi is a Lecturer in Remote sensing in the School of Water, Energy, and Environment, Centre for the environment, and Agricultural informatics. Abdou's research interests include extreme weather/climate, flood risk, and coastal hazards. More broadly, Abdou has a keen interest in the application of Geospatial Data Science, Earth Observation, and Machine Learning to better understand extreme weather and climate related-events and how their combination contributes to societal and environmental risk.
I welcome discussions with researchers who may wish to collaborate to develop their proposals. I also welcome enquires from prospective PhD and MSc students.
Articles In Journals
- Malainine CE, Raji O, Ouabid M, Khouakhi A, Bodinier JL, Laamrani A, El Messbahi H, Youbi N & Boumehdi MA (2021) An integrated ASTER-based approach for mapping carbonatite and iron oxide-apatite deposits, Geocarto International, Available online 09 Jul 2021.
- Mendoza-Cano O, Aquino-Santos R, López-de la Cruz J, Edwards RM, Khouakhi A, Pattison I, Rangel-Licea V, Castellanos E, Martinez-Preciado MA, Rincón-Avalos P, Lepper P, Gutiérrez-Gómez A, Uribe-Ramos JM, Ibarreche J & Pérez I (2021) Experiments of an IoT-based wireless sensor network for flood monitoring in Colima, Mexico, Journal of Hydroinformatics, 23 (3) 385-401.
- Mendoza-Cano O, Rincón-Avalos P, Watson V, Khouakhi A, Cruz JL, Ruiz-Montero AP, Nava-Garibaldi CM, Lopez-Rojas M & Murillo-Zamora E (2021) The burden of dengue in children by calculating spatial temperature: a methodological approach using remote sensing techniques, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (8) Article No. 4230.
- Slater L, Villarini G, Archfield S, Faulkner D, Lamb R, Khouakhi A & Yin J (2021) Global changes in 20‐year, 50‐year, and 100‐year river floods, Geophysical Research Letters, 48 (6) Article No. e2020GL091824.
- Driouech F, Stafi H, Khouakhi A, Moutia S, Badi W, ElRhaz K & Chehbouni A (2020) Recent observed country‐wide climate trends in Morocco, International Journal of Climatology, 41 (January) E855-E874.
- Slater LJ, Khouakhi A & Wilby RL (2019) River channel conveyance capacity adjusts to modes of climate variability, Scientific Reports, 9 (1) Article No. 12619.
- Khouakhi A, Villarini G, Zhang W & Slater LJ (2019) Seasonal predictability of high sea level frequency using ENSO patterns along the U.S. West Coast, Advances in Water Resources, 131 (September) Article No. 103377.
- Slater LJ, Thirel G, Harrigan S, Delaigue O, Hurley A, Khouakhi A, Prosdocimi I, Vitolo C & Smith K (2019) Using R in hydrology: a review of recent developments and future directions, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 23 (7) 2939-2963.
- Khouakhi A, Pattison I, la Cruz JL, Teresa M, Mendoza-Cano O & Martinez M (2019) Tropical cyclone—Induced heavy rainfall and flow in Colima, Western Mexico, International Journal of Climatology, Available online 28 November 2019 (6).
- Khouakhi A & Villarini G (2017) Attribution of annual maximum sea levels to tropical cyclones at the global scale, International Journal of Climatology, 37 (1) 540-547.
- Khouakhi A, Villarini G & Vecchi GA (2017) Contribution of tropical cyclones to rainfall at the global scale, Journal of Climate, 30 (1) 359-372.
- Villarini G, Khouakhi A & Cunningham E (2017) On the impacts of computing daily temperatures as the average of the daily minimum and maximum temperatures, Atmospheric Research, 198 (December) 145-150.
- Khouakhi A & Villarini G (2016) On the relationship between atmospheric rivers and high sea water levels along the U.S. West Coast, Geophysical Research Letters, 43 (16) 8815-8822.
- Khouakhi A, Snoussi M, Niazi S & Raji O (2013) Vulnerability assessment of Al Hoceima bay (Moroccan Mediterranean coast): A coastal management tool to reduce potential impacts of sea-level rise and storm surges, Journal of Coastal Research, 65 968-973.
- Raji O, Niazi S, Snoussi M, Dezileau L & Khouakhi A (2013) Vulnerability assessment of a lagoon to sea level rise and storm events: Nador lagoon (NE Morocco), Journal of Coastal Research, 65 802-807.
- Snoussi M, Ouchani T, Khouakhi A & Niang-Diop I (2009) Impacts of sea-level rise on the Moroccan coastal zone: Quantifying coastal erosion and flooding in the Tangier Bay, Geomorphology, 107 (1-2) 32-40.
- Rivas Casado M, Muthusamy M, Khouakhi A & Leinster P (2021) Emerging remote sensing technologies for flood applications. In: Earth Observation for Flood Application Progress and Perspectives, Elsevier.
- Snoussi M, Niazi S, Khouakhi A & Raji O (2011) Climate change and sea-level rise: A GIS-Based vulnerability and impact assessment, the case of the moroccan coast. In: Geomatic Solutions for Coastal Environments, Elsevier, p. 275-310.