The Leverhulme Trade Charities Postgraduate Bursaries are designed to provide support for UK students who are (or who are connected with) commercial travellers, grocers or chemists, in financial need and undertaking full-time postgraduate degree courses leading to a PhD or MSc.
The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust was established in 1925, by the will of William Hesketh Lever, who left a share of his wealth to provide grants for the benefits of chemists, grocers and commercial travellers and their families.
At a glance
- Funding valueUp to £5,000
- Suitable for Applicants fromUK
- DeadlineOn going
- Funding provider(s)Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
What it covers
The maximum value of any bursary is £5,000 per year. This amount may be adjusted according to the applicant’s personal financial need and the amount of funds available.
Who can apply
Applicants should normally have been resident in the United Kingdom and either be, or be the son/daughter, spouse, widow or widower of, a commercial traveller, chemist, or grocer, according to the definitions listed under 'Further information'.
This funding opportunity is applicable to many courses, please see the 'Who can apply' section for more information.
The Trustees have adopted, as a matter of policy, the following definitions:
- Commercial traveller - the representative, agent or principal of any UK firm of manufacturers, industrial or commercial firm or company, or wholesale dealers selling to industry or commerce, but not direct to the public, who has travelled for five consecutive years and, in the aggregate, for at least six months in each of those years, for the purposes of securing orders and/or promoting business.
- Chemist - a registrant of the General Pharmaceutical Council, engaged in selling or dispensing medicines direct to the public.
- Grocer - a person engaged or employed in a UK business of selling by retail a wide range of both food supplies and non-edible articles for household use, and management, excluding persons owning or employed by one of the major multiple retailers.